• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World's Rarest Whale Seen for the First Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
It's been the same stupid "joke" for days.

"d-d-don't get me wrong, I-It's not like I want to X you, baka"

so funny lolololol

I know you dont like it but that's just some peoples sense of humour, i personally find it quite amusing, its the same with feel and bff memes, some people like them, some don't, im afraid you have to deal with it lol

kswiston

Not really that likely. Extremely deep trenches like the mariana are low on nutrients afaik.
Found an interesting forum post by a marine biologist on this subject once, he explained how it was extremely improbable that we would find anything big down there.

I agree that there is likely nothing huge 5-10km down, but it took scientists until 2004 to film a live Giant Squid in its natural habitat, and they only live at depths of 300-1000m. Looking at that graphic that IdreamofHIME posted, there must be a reason that sperm whales are bothering to dive 2.5km deep. They aren't doing it for fun. If there are food sources that a 50-60 foot whale would bother pursuing at those middle depths, and if scientists have barely begun to explore ocean depths greater than a couple hundred meters, who knows what is down there. I don't know about something the size of a blue whale, but we have discovered new 20-30 foot long sharks fairly recently.

Few things terrify me more than the thought of all the creepy stuff in ocean depths.

Yep. Deep water = nightmare fuel. On one hand, I would love to learn more about the oceans and what they're hiding, but on the other, I feel that people need mystery in their lives to keep it from getting to monotonous. So, yeah. I dunno.

That shit's scary, yo.

cdyhybrid

Yeah, I can almost guarantee that there is an animal in the mariana trench larger than the blue whale....that's goddamn frightening when you think about it.

I dunno, I imagine it would be exceedingly difficult to grow that large with the insane water pressure that far down.

qcf x2

This is pretty cool, as is the ocean. Shame the one recent time deep oceanic exploration generated interest, James Cameron found nothing.

kswiston

any body got any more creeepy deep ocean fact, links that i can digest, i'm so intrigued atm, want to read more, please!

How about Whale Falls?

whale_smith3.jpg

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale_fall

A whale fall is a whale carcass that has fallen to the ocean floor. Whale falls were first observed in the 1980s, with the advent of deep-sea robotic exploration.

When a whale dies in shallow water, its carcass is typically devoured by scavengers over a relatively short period—within several months. However, in deeper water (depths of 2,000 m/6,600 ft or greater), fewer scavenger species exist, and the carcass can provide sustenance for a complex localized ecosystem over periods of decades. Some of the organisms that have been observed at whale falls are giant isopods, squat lobsters, bristleworms, prawns, shrimp, lobsters, hagfish, Osedax (bone-eating worms), crabs, sea cucumbers, octopuses, clams, and even deep-sea sleeper sharks. Whale falls are often inhabited by large colonies of tube worms. Over 30 previously unknown species have been discovered at whale falls.

The Santa Catalina falls, but not others, consistently exhibit three stages of decomposition.

The initial, mobile scavenger stage features hagfish and sleeper sharks that consume the soft tissue at a rate of 40–60 kilograms (88–130 lb) per day, over a period of up to two years.

The second stage, 'enrichment opportunist', also lasts up to two years. A few species of animals colonize the bones and surrounding sediments. They consume the tissue left by the scavengers.

In the final 'sulfophilic' stage, bacteria anaerobically break down the lipids embedded in the bones. Instead of oxygen, they reduce dissolved sulfate and excrete hydrogen sulfide, which is toxic to animals other than certain chemosynthetic bacteria. The mussels and clams are nourished by chemosymbiotic bacteria while the limpets and snails graze on bacterial mats. Whale bones are rich in lipids, which represent 4–6% of the whale's body weight. This stage can last 50 to possibly 100 years

Smith and his colleagues suggested in 1989 that such species may use whale falls as stepping-stones to extend their range across multiple chemosynthetic communities. They estimate that 690,000 carcasses/skeletons of the 9 largest whale species are in one of the three stages at any one time. This estimate implies an average spacing of 12 km (7.5 mi) and as little as 5 km (3.1 mi) along migration routes. They hypothesize that this distance is short enough to allow larvae to disperse/migrate from one to another.

Basically, the entire ocean floor is (relatively) covered with big dead whales, and entire ecosystems of species depend on them for survival. Another reason why conserving healthy whale populations is a good idea.

i-Lo

Holy shit! That's something! Hopefully, we'll see some documentaries down the line.

Well, we may not know everything about the ocean but we sure know to dump chemical toxic wastes it.

Given that it wasn't til they DNAd it that they realised what it was, isn't it likely that it has been seen in the last 140 and just no one noticed?

Polari

If they don't look different, why do we need to make them different species? I mean really, who gives a shit? Does it matter if we kill all these whales but there heaps of other ones that look the same?

kswiston

If they don't look different, why do we need to make them different species? I mean really, who gives a shit? Does it matter if we kill all these whales but there heaps of other ones that look the same?

There are criteria for what constitutes a species, and "looking different" is not one of them. That sort of thinking is why people were trying to argue that different races of people were separate species 100-200 years ago.

Animals have the right to exist, same as people. We're not going to stop reproducing and pursuing industrial advancement to give all of these species their habitat back, but we can at least take the often meager steps required to avoid wiping out whole populations of animals. Some of these species have been around 5-10 times as long as humans have.

Also, biodiversity is a good thing. Loosing species often has negative consequences that we can't anticipate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom