• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide Microsoft Outage: Flights Grounded, Sky News Off Air, Workplace Systems Down

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yes fake lol. It’s called humor lol
But somewhere that guy exists. The guy who pushed the final button that sent this out. He is probably curled up in a ball somewhere though, doubt he is having a laugh about it.

j0hnnix

d1kh8zJ.jpeg
If he was real my old company should hire him. They love pushing patches with little to no testing to meet perceived client deadlines.

Last edited:
Isn't the internet supposed to be non-centralised to avoid these kind of problems. It seems everyone routed their traffic through a centralised point and then wonder why it fucked up.
you can blame microsoft for that and companies wanting someone else to do all their server and email stuff. Oh you will take care of it if we pay you a monthly sub, sure , no multiply that by millions across the globe. There is a reason ms was able to buy activsion and others without breaking a sweat in finances. Companies gave over their it to them

Last edited:

Zathalus

you can blame microsoft for that and companies wanting someone else to do all their server and email stuff. Oh you will take care of it if we pay you a monthly sub, sure , no multiply that by millions across the globe. There is a reason ms was able to buy activsion and others without breaking a sweat in finances. Companies gave over their it to them
Microsoft is not even the market leader in cloud services. Nor does this outage have anything to do with infrastructure in the cloud. It’s an update pushed to end users by a antivirus provider, you can have all the affected servers in your local datacenter and you would still be hit.

poppabk

LOL CrowdStrike really working hard to earn the trust of their 24,000 customers today, trying to be the Boeing of cyber security I guess
It's kinda scary that their stock is still up 25% from the start of the year even after this colossal fuck-up.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Microsoft is not even the market leader in cloud services. Nor does this outage have anything to do with infrastructure in the cloud. It’s an update pushed to end users by an antivirus provider, you can have all the affected servers in your local datacenter and you would still be hit.
Yep. My experience today has been that VM's running on VMWare in my datacenter, VM's running in the cloud, and on-prem servers running on dedicated hardware were taken down by the CrowdStrike issue. When it came to fixing it the cloud backups were easier to restore than the ones I had to do on-prem.

I can imagine how much it would have sucked if I also still had on-prem exchange and sharepoint servers in the mix. I don't see how anyone actually thinks that's better than cloud-based options right now.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Yep. My experience today has been that VM's running on VMWare in my datacenter, VM's running in the cloud, and on-prem servers running on dedicated hardware were taken down by the CrowdStrike issue. When it came to fixing it the cloud backups were easier to restore than the ones I had to do on-prem.

I can imagine how much it would have sucked if I also still had on-prem exchange and sharepoint servers in the mix. I don't see how anyone actually thinks that's better than cloud-based options right now.

Switching to Exchange Online alone saves us dozens of hours of labor every few months compared to on-prem - which was expensive and sucked to maintain and work on. Microsoft 365, especially AVD/WVD, was a god send as well.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Switching to Exchange Online alone saves us dozens of hours of labor every few months compared to on-prem - which was expensive and sucked to maintain and work on. Microsoft 365, especially AVD/WVD, was a god send as well.
A lot of the time saved is late nights and weekends because you can really only maintain some of those systems when everyone else is sleeping. Cloud-based services improve overall quality of life for my network and security admins in so many ways.

BadBurger

A lot of the time saved is late nights and weekends because you can really only maintain some of those systems when everyone else is sleeping. Cloud-based services improve overall quality of life for my network and security admins in so many ways.

Thinking of the gigantic powershell script I wrote to go through our hundreds of mailbox databases across 16 mailbox servers to determine how fragmented they were, then defragmenting them and reclaiming whitespace, all while having to worry about free space on the iSCSI LUN's provisioned from our SAN ..... I don't miss that monthly maintenance Sunday mornings. Or how you have to apply rollup updates to each server one at a time and it's a whole process, not just running a patch file and being done with it.

Yea. Exchange Online is the way to go.

Last edited:
As much as I agree in general, there are many clients where that isn't possible due to a variety of factors, and some where it was only possible very recently (a year or two ago). Ideally though, yes absolutely.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I ran into CrowdStrike recently and it blocked me from performing an assessment. Can’t say I see it very often, but it sure does its job. I can also see people moving away from it. Piss off the non technical people, they won’t do business with you.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Our company lucky. Nothing affected me (unless that temp issue I had above was part of it.... it fixed). A memo came out saying if you work in certain programs you might get affected. I dont use those, so I was good.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's hilarious. Southwest still uses Windows 3.1/95 on most of their systems and they were not affected. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

My buddy who worked for decades at space equipment companies said that the shit theyd make for the space shuttle works on crude DOS or UNIX kind of programming. No windows. This was way back, so maybe things changed. But at the time he said that the instructions needed are basic and dont need the crash prone and bloated Windows stuff. So it was crude. My first company I worked at out of school, we used that ugly ass green screen Unix looking shit for inventory control. To go from screen to screen you had to know or someone told you to go to P30 or P22 for this screen or that screen. It would be like P15 is pricing screen, and P28 was to enter forecasted units etc.... There was no logic to it.

But from what I remember it worked. I dont remember ever needing to reboot the program or PC.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I'm sure the NHS is still on XP - unless my consultant just likes to make his computer look like XP - which is highly unlikely.

Laptop1991

you can't blame companies for using older software when the newer ones cause this type of chaos, i mean everyone panicked over the Y2k bug that was going to shut everything down and nowt happened lol, too much control now and not enough options. because money!.

Last edited:

The Stig

I'm an IT professional of nearly 17 years. I just moved from USA back to the UK last week and am having a few weeks off before getting back into the workforce.

I cannot believe how good my timing is/was.

If I waited one more week to move I'd be fucked. BULLET DODGED

If I waited a couple more weeks and continued working at my old position I'd be fucked (theyre having a terrible time right now). BULLET DODGED

Just call me NEO or Max Payne lol

My old boss was always VEHEMENTLY against crowdstrike. He is feeling quite smug right now, but sadly many of our clients at my old job used it anyway.

Zathalus

Anyone could have foreseen that as a bad combination. Now that it has been demonstrated IRL, will anything change?

No.
There is no alternative. You can't go without some sort of antivirus or randomsomware protection and in order to stay ahead of security threats those same protection programs need to be updated often. The issue is simply that Cloudstrike did not follow best practices and is now paying the price.

BlackTron

There is no alternative. You can't go without some sort of antivirus or randomsomware protection and in order to stay ahead of security threats those same protection programs need to be updated often. The issue is simply that Cloudstrike did not follow best practices and is now paying the price.
There is no alternative to a cloud based solution? Updating it from the cloud isn't enough?

Hey I assume it's a bit deeper making sure it works than grabbing the latest ccleaner but still, there's no alternative?

Zathalus

There is no alternative to a cloud based solution? Updating it from the cloud isn't enough?

Hey I assume it's a bit deeper making sure it works than grabbing the latest ccleaner but still, there's no alternative?
It is updated and managed from the cloud, the problem was the local application crashing computers. It’s simply a faulty update that was pushed to clients. It’s not a threat protection running remotely.

BlackTron

It is updated and managed from the cloud, the problem was the local application crashing computers. It’s simply a faulty update that was pushed to clients. It’s not a threat protection running remotely.

Well I have to concede you're gonna need to have updates for vital protection be mandatory. Just make sure the update doesn't break everything. Damn.

BadBurger

My old boss was always VEHEMENTLY against crowdstrike. He is feeling quite smug right now, but sadly many of our clients at my old job used it anyway.

My manager was the same way. We absorbed another large org a few years ago and they were using CrowdStrike solutions. My boss fought hard (along with a few other IT division managers to their credit, such as the database mgmt team) to migrate them to our solutions ASAP and to avoid CrowdStrike at all costs in the future.

He had such an air of "I told you so" the morning after this outage during meetings. I found myself performing the approving Miyagi head nod a few times.

Hudo

Anyone could have foreseen that as a bad combination. Now that it has been demonstrated IRL, will anything change?

No.
Will any company affected by the outage sue CrowdStrike? Most likely not.

CrowdStrike will just do the same thing other cloud bullshitters do. Gaslight people: "it was a hardware/software problem. But we fixed it! We're awesome at support. Glad that you're paying us, right? And not the other guys."

So yeah, shit will only get worse.

Unknown?

When our virtual money gets wiped out that is when shit will truly hit the fan. Blade Runner 2049 is a documentary.
You shouldn't have all of your money in a bank(virtualized) anyway.
There is, don't have essential functions based on software. If you can't sell product without software, you're doing it wrong. These companies that couldn't make transactions with cash are moronic!

Zathalus

There is, don't have essential functions based on software. If you can't sell product without software, you're doing it wrong. These companies that couldn't make transactions with cash are moronic!
Not based on software? How do you run an international company and be competitive without it? Absolutely infeasible.

Unknown?

Not based on software? How do you run an international company and be competitive without it? Absolutely infeasible.
Sorry, I didn't mean not having it all together, I should have said not having backups for this kinda situation where you can still do business without it is moronic.

poppabk

I thought the headline was referring to Flight Simulator at first, LOL
When my job sent out a text using the emergency number saying to restart your computer multiple times and then a link I thought that it was a phishing attack of some sort.

BlackTron

When my job sent out a text using the emergency number saying to restart your computer multiple times and then a link I thought that it was a phishing attack of some sort.

Yeah that would have been my reaction, at least until I checked GAF.

Zathalus

Sorry, I didn't mean not having it all together, I should have said not having backups for this kinda situation where you can still do business without it is moronic.
Oh yes, that makes sense. Redundancy on systems like this can be critical.

Top Bottom