• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide Microsoft Outage: Flights Grounded, Sky News Off Air, Workplace Systems Down

Today has sucked. I work in logistics. There is still sort of a ripple effect happening from this. Lots of cargo is backed up and delayed or missing. All of my clients are pissed and taking it out on me.
Tell them the facts. This is happening everywhere. This is not your fault.

I understand that if you work in logistics that everything has to be on point. But this shitshow is global phenomena and not your fault. You can give them the finger in your mind's eye as they give you the finger. It's just capital and everyone's wallet is hurting from this.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Tell them the facts. This is happening everywhere. This is not your fault.

I understand that if you work in logistics that everything has to be on point. But this shitshow is global phenomena and not your fault. You can give them the finger in your mind's eye as they give you the finger. It's just capital and everyone's wallet is hurting from this.
Oh they're well aware. But it's just one big kick the can of blame. They just want to bitch and blame because someone behind them is taking out their frustration on them.

That's really what Supply Chain is. A chain of treating each other like shit.

gothmog

Gold Member
I didn't realize that Linux is immune to bad patches from third parties.
There are plenty of ways to shoot yourself in the foot on Linux but this issue would probably not happen on Linux in such a widespread manner. I know I wouldn't put my whole server fleet under the control of a single vendor who can push whatever to my fleet. I would need to be able to control the pushes and have a sandbox to let any update bake before I released it to the fleet. Sure it would potentially increase risk of getting exploited but lower the very real and often faced "minor" configuration change breaking your services.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
There are plenty of ways to shoot yourself in the foot on Linux but this issue would probably not happen on Linux in such a widespread manner. I know I wouldn't put my whole server fleet under the control of a single vendor who can push whatever to my fleet. I would need to be able to control the pushes and have a sandbox to let any update bake before I released it to the fleet. Sure it would potentially increase risk of getting exploited but lower the very real and often faced "minor" configuration change breaking your services.
What a strange thing to say that it probably wouldn't happen on Linux. Everything you posted is SOP and has absolutely nothing to do with the OS in question. This has everything to do with the vendor, platform they developed, and IT allowing it on their machines.

Tams

Considering some Linux systems were also affected by this...

This was Crowdstrike's fault. But also IT admins who chose to use a security vendor that's so common, while letting it spread through their whole networks.

It might even be the case that it happening to Windows has sped up the fix, as having Microsoft breathing down your neck is scarier than Canonical or Red Hat.

Last edited:

Tams

My manager was the same way. We absorbed another large org a few years ago and they were using CrowdStrike solutions. My boss fought hard (along with a few other IT division managers to their credit, such as the database mgmt team) to migrate them to our solutions ASAP and to avoid CrowdStrike at all costs in the future.

He had such an air of "I told you so" the morning after this outage during meetings. I found myself performing the approving Miyagi head nod a few times.

Proud The Karate Kid GIF

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Feels like Y2K!
This was a late taste of Y2K.

Which in hindsight I believe would have happened if everyone just went.
Excited Tom Hiddleston GIF by Disney+

And didn’t freak out before hand trying to fix it and bring knowledge of it to the general public. I remember them talking about how they must fix it on the news.

The date change from 1999/2000 went off without a hitch and life continued.

Makes you think
The whole cloud system is great but if you don’t keep certain things on a physical box etc if the cloud goes tit up then you go tits up. It also brings me worry because even though it wasn’t a cyber attack it was almost like a dry run. If that must chaos can be bought around by a screwed up patch software. What if someone really went for it ?

Tinfoil Tin Foil Hat GIF by Big Brother

Unknown?

Can you give specific examples or resources? People always say this but what does this even mean?
If you don't hold it, you don't own it. What's in your bank is digital dollars since they don't have cash to cover everyone's deposits. Only 5% of dollars are in the form of bills or coins.

Also the money you so called "deposited" is not held there for safe keeping for when you want to use it. A deposit is more aptly named a loan because legally you are loaning it and it no longer is yours. They have to pay you back, of course, but they can legally do anything they want with it.

This explains it:

Another B2B company with a near monopoly on its services had a similar mass screw-up earlier this year. After dipping down for a month, their stock recently hit an all-time high.

What are the chances Crowdstrike does the same? Thinking about buying in.

sono

Gold Member
So why dont these organisations have a test server that they approve patches before roll out from the internet to their live infrastructure; I thought that was standard practice so even if MS or a company sends out a bad patch they have a gate to protect them

winjer

Gold Member
So why dont these organisations have a test server that they approve patches before roll out from the internet to their live infrastructure; I thought that was standard practice so even if MS or a company sends out a bad patch they have a gate to protect them

Q&A for these patches are the responsibility of crowdstrike, not the companies that pay crowdtrike to deliver a service.

mitch1971

Gold Member
Since then, CrowdStrike has been sharing updates on its own investigation of the outage. The company also offered $10 Uber Eats gift cards to partners, some of which had to spend hours to recover from the incident, as a way to send its “heartfelt thanks and apologies for the inconvenience.”

Several people who received the voucher — some of whom felt the gift was tone-deaf — could not cash in the gift card before Uber flagged it as fraud, “because of high usage rates,” according to a CrowdStrike spokesperson.

Lol. You couldn't make it up could you.

winjer

Gold Member
Since then, CrowdStrike has been sharing updates on its own investigation of the outage. The company also offered $10 Uber Eats gift cards to partners, some of which had to spend hours to recover from the incident, as a way to send its “heartfelt thanks and apologies for the inconvenience.”

Several people who received the voucher — some of whom felt the gift was tone-deaf — could not cash in the gift card before Uber flagged it as fraud, “because of high usage rates,” according to a CrowdStrike spokesperson.

Lol. You couldn't make it up could you.

Don't forget the Crowstrike action figures.

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

Top Bottom