• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WoW - Best Game Since Zelda:OoT.

BuddyC

According to the staff at my local EB.

TehHeadacheInducer (1:49:03 AM): hey are you there?
ZombieWaffles (1:49:13 AM): yea
TehHeadacheInducer (1:49:44 AM): i know you dont like to play games that are good, but you really should try out world of warcraft
ZombieWaffles (1:50:23 AM): but half life 2 and halo 2!
ZombieWaffles (1:50:32 AM): not to mention all those actual shit games i'm reviewing
TehHeadacheInducer (1:50:38 AM): i would like to see half life 2 still
TehHeadacheInducer (1:51:49 AM): those are actually good games, but i dont play them, cause like, this is something different
TehHeadacheInducer (1:52:19 AM): me and my crew are calling it the best game since ledgend of zelda
ZombieWaffles (1:52:35 AM): can you really compare those?
TehHeadacheInducer (1:52:39 AM): ya
TehHeadacheInducer (1:52:46 AM): its like the next step
TehHeadacheInducer (1:53:27 AM): like you've seen the screen shots and blah blah, but until your siting there, surrounded by the art....
TehHeadacheInducer (1:54:43 AM): all the other mmo games i thought were cool, i now know were just formulas, cool games to take your money away, but this is wholely different
TehHeadacheInducer (1:56:54 AM): its kinda like the feeling of the first few days your playing Ocorina of time, only times a bunch
TehHeadacheInducer (1:57:37 AM): ya, thats it, its like Ocorina of Time, only you dont beat it in 5 days

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Zelda OOT is my favorite game of all time.

WoW is shaping up to be one of my favorite games of all time.

It sounds as if this man is correct!

And really, WoW does have some sort of 'vibe' similar to OOT. A similar charm or 'magic'.

Christ, when is Blizzard going to come out with an even mediocre game? If this is really that good, that means, the past four games have been Starcraft, Diablo 2, Warcraft 3 and now this (not counting expansions). That's a lineup of PC classics. But alas, being at college I must spend the little money I have on other things. I can't afford the 15 bucks a month.

WOW is great....if you like MMorpgs...

if you really dont have the patience or time for mmorpgs...then its not gonna be as good as others say but still good cause its so streamlined and userfriendly compared to other mmorpgs.

peace

Gattsu25

Banned
bullshit...WoW falls into all the traps that other MMOs fall into, though it doesn't stumble as hard as any others I've tried

I found no enjoyment beyond the initial few hours*. Halo2, Half-Life 2, Vampire, MGS3, GTASA, Metroid, Pikmin, Jak, and R&C are more fun, individually, and require less time to achieve closure, collectivly

*chalk this up to wising up to MMOs I guess

Kalren

Gattsu25 said:
I found no enjoyment beyond the initial few hours*. Halo2, Half-Life 2, Vampire, MGS3, GTASA, Metroid, Pikmin, Jak, and R&C are more fun, individually, and require less time to achieve closure, collectivly

*chalk this up to wising up to MMOs I guess

I think if the mentality going to play MMORPG is to "beat the game" then you've lost the point. I think a good analogy of MMORPG is that they're similar to real life, in that in life, you don't win "Life", you just exist. You may have goals you wish to achieve, but life doesn't end when you graduate, get married, have kids, or become president of a nation or company. You don't get a scrolling screen with credit of you parent/family, friends, teachers, co-workers. In MMORPG, you need to choose a goal, and then move on, just like life.

But that's just IMO.

Gattsu25

Banned
I agree. I wasn't going into WoW expecting to 'beat it' but I was expecting to 'enjoy the experience'. When that enjoyment died after a few days, so did my playtime.

EDIT: (IIRC, I played for ~10 hours according to Cosmos)

WoW is the ultimate expression of the EverQuest/Ultima Online MMO model.

It's a lot lot lot of fun.

But yeah - it's still rooted in the same core concepts.

Bristow

Banned
World of Warcraft is the most fun I've had with a game since the competitive Quake 1 days. I've put over 100 hours into it from the first stress test and open beta combined and I'm still as excited about it as when I first played.

Kalren

Gattsu25 said:
I agree. I wasn't going into WoW expecting to 'beat it' but I was expecting to 'enjoy the experience'. When that enjoyment died after a few days, so did my playtime.

EDIT: (IIRC, I played for ~10 hours according to Cosmos)

I can understand this. I know that prior to WOW, for myself at least, I could not get into MMORPG. Played them all since Meridian and UO was in alpha, but I could not get past lvl 15-20 for a majority of them. I even payed to play DAoC, but my 3 month subscription went to waste.

With WoW, the quest system keeps me occupied and the world seems to be "full" which, at least for me is great. I had a lot of fun in the ST and OB.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
For the people who felt like they lost interest fairly quick - were you playing with friends? Experiencing this game with friends adventuring at your side is... well... an experience!

Bristow said:
World of Warcraft is the most fun I've had with a game since the competitive Quake 1 days. I've put over 100 hours into it from the first stress test and open beta combined and I'm still as excited about it as when I first played.

Same wif me!

I love me some WoW!

But alas not getting it til after the new year as I have to catch up on too many games from now til then. =(

WoW is a MUCH more fulfilling experience when playing with friends. It's just great being with a small group of friends tackling each others quest, going out and exploring new zones and dungeouns. Gasping when someone from your group lands a oj/red "elite" quest taking you into an epic dungeoun.

My only complaint about WoW is that there really isn't much downtime (something I'd never though I'd complain about :el oh el). Granted, I only got my priest up to level 19 in the OB, so maybe that changes in the higher levels.

I tell you with all this technology and advancement we have had over nearly 10 years since Ultima Online came out I still think Ultima Online in its first form was the BEST. No MMO I have played including whatever the hell it is that Ultima Online morphed into is anywhere near as good as Ultima Online was after a while. The only thing about that game that stunk was how hard it was to keep your stats from getting all wacky. Otherwise Ultima Online is the first and the best.

Top Bottom