• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow, KOF:MI is bad.....

shoplifter

The hats were late shipping to Gamestop apparently. If that's where you got it, make sure to call them on it so they don't dick you over.

shoplifter

I haven't played it, but there's a shitstorm over at both the SNK boards and neo-geo.com due to the stuff that was cut and the english voices.

Someone tossed an email asking if the voices were unlockable and pretty much got a 'no' answer.

Ferrio

Banned
Well I found *one* positive thing in the game, and here it is:

kofinanutshell.jpg

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Opinions are opinions, but statistically speaking, virtually every single import buyer I've read across five forums has said at the very least, KoF: MI blows away the SFEX series and is much better than stuff like Bloody Roar. Even people who think it sucks compared to "real" KoF and isn't worth renting agreed to that.

Different strokes I guess.

I do have to wonder though if games like MK: Deception are getting a free pass to good opinions due to such horrible expectations, while games like KoF:MI are doomed because of the degree of holy worship surrounding the 2D versions and 2D fighters in general.

Ferrio

Banned
Kumiko Nikaido said:
Haha. :p

Well, if you get around to it, post impressions of it later. ^_^

Wow, the bonus disk is just as bad.....

Some art, lots of stupid fluff and bios (very uninteresting), interviews with some snk employees going along the lines "The hardest part was bringing the 2d characters to the 3d dimensions"

wow no shit, you failed too.

edit: Look who showed up in the interview

falcoon.jpg

kofmi.jpg

kofmi2.jpg

kiryogi

Banned
Kaijima said:
Opinions are opinions, but statistically speaking, virtually every single import buyer I've read across five forums has said at the very least, KoF: MI blows away the SFEX series and is much better than stuff like Bloody Roar. Even people who think it sucks compared to "real" KoF and isn't worth renting agreed to that.

Different strokes I guess.

I do have to wonder though if games like MK: Deception are getting a free pass to good opinions due to such horrible expectations, while games like KoF:MI are doomed because of the degree of holy worship surrounding the 2D versions and 2D fighters in general.

Yeah, I'm about the same too. It's nothing like VF or SC2. But it's still fun and holds it own quite well. Loads better than MK 5-6/Bloody Roar/SF EX. As I've stated before, it's probably a huge hit/miss margin.

Ferrio

Banned
The thing with SF, least it *tried* to keep the same gameplay. KOF:MI just said fuck it and threw in a bunch of shitty chain combos.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm still very curious about trying this out, even disregarding the KoF namesake and the preclusion of it's new dimensional shift, are you implying this is just purebred shit? The trailers made it look very fast paced and juggle-rific.

Oh and what are the 'rigging models' I keep hearing about?

Jim Bowie

Every time I look at Falcoon I'm instantly reminded of the Star Wars Kid.

But, as it stands, I won't be buying it. I don't like 3d fighters past SC2.

kiryogi

Banned
Ferrio said:
The thing with SF, least it *tried* to keep the same gameplay. KOF:MI just said fuck it and threw in a bunch of shitty chain combos.
Like I've stated before, its like KoF meets Tekken. Dial a combos are pissy tho, but its something different and really up the pace. Other annoying changes might be how forward roll is no longer useful. (replaced with sidestep to accompany 3d)

Folken: And rigging models are just outfit extras basically. Like you can add glasses/backpack to Althena's schoolgirl outfit (which will also change her normal outfit into a Bao like one @_@ )

Ferrio

Banned
Here's an Example of how bad this game is, just saw this posted at gamefaqs, had to test it cause I didn't believe it could be true

Infinite Combo (Iori):

HP, HP, F+HP, HCB+HK, HCB+HK, HCB+HK, HCB+HK..... until you hit a wall.

Hell you don't eve need the chain the beggining, and you'll do more damage.

Now how the hell does stuff like that get by developers and testers?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Y'know, the moment I sall Falcoon in the interview, I knew hip gamers would be photoshoping his picture all over the Internet, 'cause he's not 98lbs with visible ribs or Alba's sunglasses raped their mother. But dis him all you want just 'cause you don't like his character designs or how he looks; he's the guy pulling it off for a living, be it big company or small.

ferricide

dunno, i think this is a decent game for casual fans.

what i'd really like to see is one of the old powerhouses spend a namco-like budget on an actual 3D fighter. it would be nice to have more than 4 series, especially as i only really like two of them (VF and SC).

for that matter, 2D fighting seems rather moribund now too. snif.

mosaic

go eat paint
I may be insane, but EA's Def Jam series is pretty enjoyable... I mean, if you're into grapple-heavy Jappy wrestling games loaded down with rappers. In Fight For NY, I put myself in as a street fighter, wrestler, kickboxer... and the second time around, I created the spitting image of Taimak -- Bruce Leroy from The Last Dragon.

SaitoH

Why can't more of these 3D iterations turn out like Rival Schools? I mean, it played sorta like a 2D game ...

Anyway, I can't blame companies for trying to update their old fighters though. Old school 2D fighters only seem to sell to hardcore, old school gamers these days. Which isn't a big market.

belgurdo

Banned
Although the gameplay IS broken (I've lost more than a few matches by eating stylish+wall bounce+ground hit combos before, and I've also won a few that way too) the game is more less pretty fun to play, and is definitely no SFEX or Bloody Roar. I also like the English voices, if anything because the women don't sound like squealing children now

Cimarron

Kaijima said:
Y'know, the moment I sall Falcoon in the interview, I knew hip gamers would be photoshoping his picture all over the Internet, 'cause he's not 98lbs with visible ribs or Alba's sunglasses raped their mother. But dis him all you want just 'cause you don't like his character designs or how he looks; he's the guy pulling it off for a living, be it big company or small.

Hey slow down there! Sounds like you're a fatty too. Want a pork rind fatty?
:D

belgurdo

Banned
Kaijima said:

Behold the power of Internet anonymity! Even severe burn victims can be judgmental supermodels behind their glass and plastic sealed cages!

Top Bottom