• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Dthomp

Been a bit outta the loop with the holidays. Do we really think Goldberg is going over Drew??

I haven't really kept up with Mania rumors, but I just can't see them taking it off of Drew to have another terrible Goldberg two month reign. I'm sure Vince would love to get Bork back for another match with Drew, but without fans I don't think it's worth it yet. I think this may just be to give Drew a huge win against a legend and pop some subs from a Goldberg return.

I'm curious to what happens with Marty. I'd hate to see him go to NXT, I'm pretty much over NXT at this point, and lets not pretend he's going to be used properly at all there. Is there a chance he ends up with his old pals in AEW? I mean, Dark Order needs a new leader if they want to go that route, although I think face DO with Uno leading is more fun for now.

NickFire

Surely WWE wouldn't be so stupid as to let Goldberg go over. Surely..............
I don't know, but surely I won't be stupid enough to pay $10 to re-subscribe and possibly witness Goldberg go over. Fool me once into paying $10 to watch Goldberg bury the Fiend, shame on Vince. Fool me into paying to watch Dre get buried would be shame on me.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I haven't really kept up with Mania rumors, but I just can't see them taking it off of Drew to have another terrible Goldberg two month reign. I'm sure Vince would love to get Bork back for another match with Drew, but without fans I don't think it's worth it yet. I think this may just be to give Drew a huge win against a legend and pop some subs from a Goldberg return.

I'm curious to what happens with Marty. I'd hate to see him go to NXT, I'm pretty much over NXT at this point, and lets not pretend he's going to be used properly at all there. Is there a chance he ends up with his old pals in AEW? I mean, Dark Order needs a new leader if they want to go that route, although I think face DO with Uno leading is more fun for now.

I just don't see the value in calling in Goldberg just to lose. it sort of feels like they're going to try what they wanted to do last year with Roman and Goldberg. Whoever takes the title off of Goldberg a "boost." Granted... We all know it doesn't work like that.

Goldberg isn't nearly as cool when he loses. I know WWE hasn't figured that one out yet though.

I didn't really follow what had happened with Marty and the underage girl other than the basics, but I'd have to assume someone in aew wouldn't want to touch him, at least for the next couple years.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Anyone else find it strange jay lethal has never made it out of roh? He had a good run in tna and was even in some major segments including the famous woo off with ric flair. Goes to roh and has had a good run but never leaves? He couldn't even get a nxt deal? No one up in the big e could vouch for him? Flair? Styles?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Anyone else find it strange jay lethal has never made it out of roh? He had a good run in tna and was even in some major segments including the famous woo off with ric flair. Goes to roh and has had a good run but never leaves? He couldn't even get a nxt deal? No one up in the big e could vouch for him? Flair? Styles?

I think RoH has treated him fairly well it seems. He seems like the type of that guy that is just happy to have a place in the industry and values having creative freedom. Something he would not get in WWE in any capacity.

NickFire

Got around to watching the Goldberg challenge, and, uh, it was worse than described in whatever report I read Tuesday. The way he accused Drew of disrespecting the legends was just nonsensical. I understand that the show ran long and the confrontation was truncated to remove whatever Drew was going to say. That stuff happens, but couldn't someone have helped Goldberg change up his part to make it seem logical? It's bad enough that he can't wrestle very well. Letting him sound like a rambling old man too is just ridiculous.

Dthomp

So was Drew supposed to come off as a heel since Goldberg refuses to play any part outside of Superman, you know, for the kids 🙄. Drew is arguably the best babyface they’ve created in the last ten years. Goldberg could have just came out and said you haven’t beaten anyone of my caliber (lol), so why not prove yourself at the RR? It wouldn’t be a great promo, but better then they laid out, and I did that off the top of my head. It doesn’t need anything more since Goldberg will once again only be around for 2 appearances

dave_d

Hopefully Goldberg can actually get Drew up for the Jackhammer without excessive straining and nearly dropping him like the Fiend.

Dthomp

I'm likely 100% wrong since we know Goldberg doesn't show up to put people over, but I want to believe the he hits his 2 greatest hits only for Drew to kick out and beat Goldberg clean. Gotta build Drew up for the inevitable cash in, just not sure where you do it. Miz can't be champion going into Mania, and doesn't the briefcase supposedly end at Mania? Or can he use it there? Keep seeing rumors about Goldberg/Roman/maybe Bryan at Mania so could easily see Roman just making fun of Goldberg for losing until he shows up on SD. Drew gets Brock at Mania again, with the twist of Miz cashin after the fact. WWE rewrites rules all the time, so could easily say Miz gets a year from getting the briefcase and save it for a night after Mania cashin.

Phobos Base

I'm likely 100% wrong since we know Goldberg doesn't show up to put people over, but I want to believe the he hits his 2 greatest hits only for Drew to kick out and beat Goldberg clean. Gotta build Drew up for the inevitable cash in, just not sure where you do it. Miz can't be champion going into Mania, and doesn't the briefcase supposedly end at Mania? Or can he use it there? Keep seeing rumors about Goldberg/Roman/maybe Bryan at Mania so could easily see Roman just making fun of Goldberg for losing until he shows up on SD. Drew gets Brock at Mania again, with the twist of Miz cashin after the fact. WWE rewrites rules all the time, so could easily say Miz gets a year from getting the briefcase and save it for a night after Mania cashin.

I thought it was a year from winning it, which cold mean either until this year's MITB or a year since he won the briefcase

Dthomp

Welp, Drew tested positive for Covid-19, now they got to hope that their desperation for ratings didn't put a bunch of "legends" at risk last Monday depending on when and where he was exposed. Hope for a healthy recovery for Drew from this.

Dthomp

Wait...if Drew tested positive, how is Keith allowed to be involved in segments? WWE just doesn't believe in quarantines? What a shit company

NickFire

Welp, Drew tested positive for Covid-19, now they got to hope that their desperation for ratings didn't put a bunch of "legends" at risk last Monday depending on when and where he was exposed. Hope for a healthy recovery for Drew from this.
There's plenty of criticism I agree with as pertains to WWE, but I couldn't disagree more with leveling blame at them if a legend was exposed. These are well past grown men and women who knew the risks, and chose to appear despite them because they wanted to be on TV. Any suggestion WWE is wrong is very hypocritical IMO unless the person casting blame has refused to watch any shows since Covid started, and never went out and about themselves since it started.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Did I miss something? Miz cashed in already during TLC.

Last edited:

dave_d

Did I miss something? Miz cashed in already during TLC.
They did a thing where the Miz lobbied to get the briefcase back on a loophole because he didn't actually cash it in, Morrison did. "WWE Officials" agreed with him and Adam Pearce gave him back the case.

Dthomp

There's plenty of criticism I agree with as pertains to WWE, but I couldn't disagree more with leveling blame at them if a legend was exposed. These are well past grown men and women who knew the risks, and chose to appear despite them because they wanted to be on TV. Any suggestion WWE is wrong is very hypocritical IMO unless the person casting blame has refused to watch any shows since Covid started, and never went out and about themselves since it started.

Fair enough, but it sounds like there is much more Covid news coming regarding pro wrestling so it's likely one of a few scenarios. WWE side, either to many guys got together for New Years parties and weren't careful (Likely), or one of those legends brought in could possibly have brought it along with them. Some of these legends may have wanted to be on TV, but I'd be curious to know how many of them could turn down likely a solid payday to fly across the country for the show. I'd assume WWE didn't know about a potential covid spread prior to last Monday (I assume we'll know that when the reports come out this week), but do I think Vince wouldn't hide something like that for ratings? I absolutely do, the guy is pure garbage. Anybody has the right to question or cast blame when it comes to Vince, history repeats itself.

NickFire

Fair enough, but it sounds like there is much more Covid news coming regarding pro wrestling so it's likely one of a few scenarios. WWE side, either to many guys got together for New Years parties and weren't careful (Likely), or one of those legends brought in could possibly have brought it along with them. Some of these legends may have wanted to be on TV, but I'd be curious to know how many of them could turn down likely a solid payday to fly across the country for the show. I'd assume WWE didn't know about a potential covid spread prior to last Monday (I assume we'll know that when the reports come out this week), but do I think Vince wouldn't hide something like that for ratings? I absolutely do, the guy is pure garbage. Anybody has the right to question or cast blame when it comes to Vince, history repeats itself.
I take back what I said. Vince needs to protect Goldberg from getting Covid from Drew. This is a great excuse to cancel that match before Vince ruins another great run like the Fiend's last year. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm :messenger_tears_of_joy: but completely serious.

Dthomp

I take back what I said. Vince needs to protect Goldberg from getting Covid from Drew. This is a great excuse to cancel that match before Vince ruins another great run like the Fiend's last year. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm :messenger_tears_of_joy: but completely serious.

Drew getting Covid could change plans, but I honestly don't think there was better then a 10% chance he was going to put Goldberg over Drew. Drew is the face of Raw now, and I hope after the last couple Goldberg runs he'd realize that the dude can't go anymore. They suck at making changes on the fly however, so the next week with Drew recovering, or getting worse will decide Rumble plans I'd imagine. Might be a year to have Miz cash in and drop it at EC or whatever PPV is in between Rumble and Mania.

dave_d

Supposedly at least 3 more WWE Superstars on raw also have covid and one on Smackdown but nobody will say who. (Pretty much the report says look at who isn't there.)

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Drew getting Covid could change plans, but I honestly don't think there was better then a 10% chance he was going to put Goldberg over Drew. Drew is the face of Raw now, and I hope after the last couple Goldberg runs he'd realize that the dude can't go anymore. They suck at making changes on the fly however, so the next week with Drew recovering, or getting worse will decide Rumble plans I'd imagine. Might be a year to have Miz cash in and drop it at EC or whatever PPV is in between Rumble and Mania.
I really didnt think they were going to pull if off of fiend but maybe I was just naive. Goldberg going over really wouldnt surprise me.

NickFire

I think the plan is to have Miz cash in, and Goldberg pins the Miz. Then Vince can have his Roman Goldberg match, and pretend that he didn't just devalue his best performer and the title.

cryptoadam

Banned
I think he "screwed" himself when he re upped witih ROH. He was the hottest he had ever been and could have gotten the red carpet rolled out for NXT and pushed as a big star. He would have been a top free agent at the time. He had just moved passed the Black Machismo gimmick and was tearing it up in ROH.

Must also be some heat between him and the Elite since AEW didn't snatch him up. You would think with his ROH/TNA connection to guys like SCU and the Bucks he would have a job at minimum as a teacher/agent on dark like Daneils/Kazarian.

I remember thinking back then that not going to NXT was a mistake. He was never going to reach those levels again. The best thing about going to WWE is in a way them misusing you is actually even better for your career. You get a shit ton of millage out of being mis used by WWE and cutting "shoot" promos with fans begging for you to show up at any other promotion to get your "chance". He could of went to NXT , been called up to RAW, been "held down" and fans would be dying for him to show up in AEW and Tony would probably be lineing up with a nice 6 figure contract to get him there.

Dthomp

Guess Taya is gone from Impact. Pretty much said if she's lucky she goes AEW, unlucky WWE, and really unlucky RoH.

I wonder how long Morrisons contract with WWE is at this point. You'd think she'd like the chance to work at the same place as him again but he's been used beyond wasteful in WWE and they'd be a fun pair in AEW if his contract isn't much longer. They can use all the women that can wrestle they can get at this point so hope she goes there. She'd be just another body in the background in WWE

Bullet Club

Banned

dybgxKZ.gif

Dthomp

I honestly wonder if that was Jericho's fault or MJF's fault? Jericho clearly missed the spot, but was the positioning wrong to begin with? Should he have been slammed closer to the ropes?

Just cause you can, doesn't mean you should. Jericho should have shelved the Lionsault a couple years ago already. He's carrying way too much body weight now for that move to be safe for him, and possibly his opponent. Dudes gotta lay off the booze, carrying that weight on that frame with that many years in the ring is just gonna speed up the hell he'll feel the rest of his life.

I have no idea where this leads with IC, but it's time for MJF to backstab Jericho and take over. Y2J can use the time off I think, and not having Santana and Ortiz as the tag team in a group where the other teams are thrown together makes no sense so maybe this leads to a shakeup with them being the ruthless heels they should be.

chillinggamers_

Neo Member
Just cause you can, doesn't mean you should. Jericho should have shelved the Lionsault a couple years ago already. He's carrying way too much body weight now for that move to be safe for him, and possibly his opponent. Dudes gotta lay off the booze, carrying that weight on that frame with that many years in the ring is just gonna speed up the hell he'll feel the rest of his life.

I have no idea where this leads with IC, but it's time for MJF to backstab Jericho and take over. Y2J can use the time off I think, and not having Santana and Ortiz as the tag team in a group where the other teams are thrown together makes no sense so maybe this leads to a shakeup with them being the ruthless heels they should be.
Jericho needs time off to rebuild his character and to get in better shape. He was the reason I gave AEW a chance but his character is far too silly.

Dthomp

Jericho needs time off to rebuild his character and to get in better shape. He was the reason I gave AEW a chance but his character is far too silly.

I liked his run as their first champion, but now that the group has grown (as has his waist), he doesn't really have a place. Him being a kind of MMA style guy is pointless once they added Hager who's an actual MMA guy. MJF is perfect to take over the group kicking out Jericho and either Hager or Sammy to shrink the group down. Keep Hager if you aren't going to use Wardlow more often since Sammy can then get over as a babyface flippy guy for a while. Jericho can do his summer corona spreader concert series and can return at the 3rd or 4th PPV of the year as a huge face to take down MJF (Hopefully TNT champion by then).

Dthomp

Was gonna ask why do a Sunday, but I read and saw that they didn't want to compete with UFC fights on back to back Saturdays. Is there really that much crossover in the UFC/Wrestling fans userbase? I'm not a fan, I actually have loved the Saturday PPVs from them, makes it alot easier for my wife to actually watch an event here and there with me since Sundays can be a rest day and Mondays begin too early for how late their PPVs go.

Doing a Chronicle on a superstar that has been around for like 10 minutes seems a little odd, but basically confirms a Rumble win I suppose. She's got talent, but feel like this is too soon for her, same as when they tried to go to fast with Lacey and look how that turned out. I'm not a fan of them facing eachother since one of them always either kills themself, or eachother but man Sasha and Bayley really deserved a final match at Mania for their long running feud where they could build it up for months with their history in NXT and main roster.

NickFire

Makes me wonder how much their own network was costing them to run.
Me too and I am very confused by this deal in general. It may genuinely be the best deal for WWE fans imaginable and here to stay, but I'm very suspicious about PPV's staying part of the base packages long term. I hope so, but where is NBC going to make up the money that made the deal worthwhile for WWE? Can they really save that much on the operational costs to make a profit without substantially increasing the price to offset the buyout? Or is this just money being invested to make Peacock more attractive as more people cut the cable cord?

Whatever the story is, right now my simple brain is just confused. How do NBC and WWE both turn a profit if they keep prices the same or cheaper once NBC is added the mix? Do they just expect everyone to get the cheaper option and make that much more on commercials?

Top Bottom