• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing-GAF: Writing, Publishing, Selling |OT|

I know tons, but you're gonna have to be a little more specific. What kind of thing do you write (genre wise) that's the first step to narrowing it down.

I write fantasy and science-fiction. I've also looked into contests, but I've been skeptical of them. I've seen a lot that ask for money, some up to $50 and I'm concerned I'm going to get cheated. I'm already unemployed right now, so I can't be throwing money away.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Proofread complete!

So.... anyone want to be a beta reader?

Congrats!

$1.50 at that price? Low royalties, huh? I know that feeling, but still, congrats!

Sure, I'd proof read it. But be forewarned, I can be an ass and I can be super slow at reading. So i don't know how much i could be. But still, i wouldn't mind reading through.

Also, I should clarify, this isn't my book. This is a collection of short stories and poems I got published in. I'm getting no royalties. I'm just getting a token payment because it's a really small press and they can't afford to pay a lot.

Sure, I'd proof read it. But be forewarned, I can be an ass and I can be super slow at reading. So i don't know how much i could be. But still, i wouldn't mind reading through.

Also, I should clarify, this isn't my book. This is a collection of short stories and poems I got published in. I'm getting no royalties. I'm just getting a token payment because it's a really small press and they can't afford to pay a lot.

Oh, okay. Still cool though.

And awesome, I need a brutally honest critique! Will PM.

Mike M

Nick N
Looks good. I haven't written a blog on my WordPress site in more than six months. Seriously considering letting it lapse and starting over with just a free blog site.

Well now I'm left wondering (after an obscene amount of effort) how I'm really supposed to leverage this at all. People come to my site to laugh at comics and bad fan art, trying to convince them to pay attention to writing might be a stretch...

So this thread appeared at exactly the right time. Decided to try and actually get into writing the other week (always wanted to do it but the idea of writing an entire book is a daunting prospect, but hey, I'm unemployed with literally nothing to do so why not give it a shot) and actually wrote an entire paragraph at 3 this morning! The OP seems really helpful, so thanks OP.

So this thread appeared at exactly the right time. Decided to try and actually get into writing the other week (always wanted to do it but the idea of writing an entire book is a daunting prospect, but hey, I'm unemployed with literally nothing to do so why not give it a shot) and actually wrote an entire paragraph at 3 this morning! The OP seems really helpful, so thanks OP.
:)

Lots of helpful advice throughout the thread as well.

Welcome!

eagledare

Heya, Gaf. My suspense novel "Saint Nellie" is currently free to download on Amazon for a Kindle Select promotion. The novel has a southern Gothic vibe with streak of the occult and even some real world social issues. I took a couple of years and 3 major revisions to write, and it was professionally edited. It's sold briskly, though it has garnered very positive reviews so far. I'd be excited to get feedback from any interested Gaf readers.

Here's a synopsis:

Single mother Caroline and her daughter Mia Taylor are doing their best to navigate Blackwell's sticky, hateful summer while wrapping up some unfinished family business. However, Blackwell's strange locals and resurging history of racial violence are only the beginning of a journey that rapidly spirals out of control, putting Caroline and Mia face to face with the town's hateful one-eyed "witch", Nellie McGruder. Finding themselves trapped between the whims of this sadistic recluse and a twisted pastor, the two will unearth the dark, rotten truth of Blackwell's history, and in doing so may also find a fate worse than death.

Saint Nellie is a haunting suspense novel that's been called a "tour de force", a "one sitting read", and "so disgusting it's downright spectacular". Find out what the buzz is about, and jump into the debut horror novel from Odal Madsen. A story that pulls no punches, and hammers the reader with unflinching depictions of prejudice, violence, and disturbing occult imagery.

Link to the novel.

Heya, Gaf. My suspense novel "Saint Nellie" is currently free to download on Amazon for a Kindle Select promotion. The novel has a southern Gothic vibe with streak of the occult and even some real world social issues. I took a couple of years and 3 major revisions to write, and it was professionally edited. It's sold briskly, though it has garnered very positive reviews so far. I'd be excited to get feedback from any interested Gaf readers.

Here's a synopsis:

Link to the novel.

I would download it and read, but I don't use Kindles.

http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/Search.aspx

Start with pro-rate places and work your way down. ;)

This is marvelous! Thanks.

I was also wondering if anyone could critique some music reviews I've written. I was considering for applying for jobs at some Hip-Hop magazines and websites.

Here's the last one I wrote. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=154574131&posted=1#post154574131

Here's a synopsis:

Link to the novel.

If you have an iOS or Android device there's a free app to read eBooks from Amazon.

No smartphone either. Still on that flip life.

Okay yeah, here's my tumblr: http://kirkbattle.com/

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7184765.Kirk_Battle

Amazon List: http://www.amazon.com/Kirk-Battle/e/B00EDKA72E

Any advice is appreciated. I actually don't want to use Twitter again. Ever. But I'm down for any other websites you think I should try or changes that should be made. Thank you, I appreciate it.

Heya~

Sorry MIA for so long. Work and travel ramped up quite a bit, so things have a been a little hectic. ^_^

So... a lot of 'marketing' online starts with building a solid base, IMO. First thing you need to do is shore up/flesh out what you already have online. You need to connect everything and have a recognizable 'image' or home base. From this base you can start cultivating a following by doing weekly mini-blogs, Q&As, interacting in discussions on book/writing targeted sites, submitting your book details to free sites, submitting author blurbs/details and basically just registering you and your work on all writing/hobby sites you think look good. Once you do that and have a following or at least an established presence, then you can start exploring more outside options like a concentrated push for reviews and/or advertising slots.

My suggestions from seeing what you have already:

1) Get your book added to Maklershed's list of Gaf authors on the "What Are You Reading" thread and get your book added to the OP of this thread

2) Goodreads: laying the groundwork for giveaways/their promo packages

- Flesh out your author profile
- Get a profile pic up (using the book cover here is not necessary because it already has a page that links to your profile)
- Pop into the GAF Goodreads group, join, say hi and start buddy-ing up. Join other groups.
- After getting things freshened up, start using the blog feature. I recommend short, easily digestible blogs (about 1 per week). You probably won't get much in the way of traction to start, but being active and keeping channels open is the way to slowly build an audience (that will help spread the word or get interested in your book).

^Since you don't like twitter, I'm guessing the brevity of the posts was what bothered you? If so, doing blogs might be more your speed.

- Activate the Ask the Author section

- Once you've established stuff and built up your GR section, you might then consider trying one of the giveaways or their ad space packages. Cosmic has had experience with the giveaways (I think) and my publisher is doing one now for one of their other books, so we'll see how that goes. I'll probably do one myself once my book prints.

3) Amazon

- Amazon author page: add a profile pic
- Link in blog posts to the feed. I think GR posts can be added here, or maybe link it up to your tumblr?

4) Tumblr

- I like the style/layout. I feel like a darker background would make the text section pop more, though.

- I don't use this myself, so it's hard for me to tell if you have followers. You don't seem to post much of your own content either. Perhaps start with more little posts about your work or writing in general and being more active on it?

5) Free sites

Awesomegang - Free site with tons of rotating books and authors, etc. Costs nothing for you to write a summary of your book which they display on their site and tweet out. I gave the site guy some feedback when he asked where I'd heard about them from and I got a bunch of freebie tweets from them. Not sure if it was that or just their policy, but he tweeted my book for almost every possible genre it might fit under, far more than I expected. You can also do a separate author background section later down the line and get more tweets to get more exposure here. I linked mine so you can see how it displays.

They also have a paid advertising thing that Cosmic and a few others have tried, but I don't think too much has come of using that service.

Pretty-Hot - Another free sight very similar to Awesomegang. Got a few tweets from them and FB posts. I linked mine so you can see how it displays.

Wattpad - Fast way to gain readers for your work IF you're willing to give it away for free (can be any of your works or something entirely new). I might use this in the future myself. If you want to know more, let me know and I'll explain.

Anyway, like with GR a lot of your 'marketing' can only come after you've gotten things up to speed and situated. But, in the end, it'll be doing stuff you love (writing) towards doing stuff for what you've done (your book), so have fun with it. If you don't enjoy cultivating your own garden, then your only other options involve money: pay someone to push it for you or pay just for advertising which seems hit or miss and mostly miss. Word of mouth and community efforts have worked for a lot of us, so if you're willing to put in the time you can definitely improve the chances for your book.

Other commentary:

- I really like the style of your book cover. It's distinctive and looks professional/attractive. This is a big boon for pushing your stuff online. If you use it as your avatar/profile pic for all your online media, it'll stick with people and unify your efforts.

- What have you done on Facebook? Family and friends are a captive audience and you can put your book in view without being pushy about it.

- Why do you not like twitter? It's probably been my biggest asset when trying to get my book noticed, so I'm curious.

- Once you've built up your online stuff we can talk the next steps, if you like.

Heya~

Sorry MIA for so long. Work and travel ramped up quite a bit, so things have a been a little hectic. ^_^

So... a lot of 'marketing' online starts with building a solid base, IMO.

Trimmed the quote but thank you so much for the amazing post. I guess my hang-up with Twitter just comes from using it way too much to broadcast my brand. I spent 3 years doing freelance and did all the things you talk about to build an online profile. It was all blogging and video game articles then. One day I just completely burned out and had to put it all away.

Writing fiction came about a year later after I found I missed writing. Most of my social media stuff was dormant by then so I decided to just start over and use my real name instead of L.B. Jeffries. I've taken stabs at putting in the work to get the presence going again but it's hard to juggle that with focused writing. Sometimes it feels like marketing a book is more work than actually writing it.

I am going to take your advice to heart though. Once I finish the book it's going to be time for a new website, new tumblr setup, and I will check out all the new sites you've mentioned. Thank you for the great post!

Trimmed the quote but thank you so much for the amazing post. I guess my hang-up with Twitter just comes from using it way too much to broadcast my brand. I spent 3 years doing freelance and did all the things you talk about to build an online profile. It was all blogging and video game articles then. One day I just completely burned out and had to put it all away.

Writing fiction came about a year later after I found I missed writing. Most of my social media stuff was dormant by then so I decided to just start over and use my real name instead of L.B. Jeffries. I've taken stabs at putting in the work to get the presence going again but it's hard to juggle that with focused writing. Sometimes it feels like marketing a book is more work than actually writing it.

I am going to take your advice to heart though. Once I finish the book it's going to be time for a new website, new tumblr setup, and I will check out all the new sites you've mentioned. Thank you for the great post!

No problem~ I know it's all kind of general at the moment and you seem to have done this plenty in the past anyway, but once you have all that shored up you can move on to more specific/exciting marketing stuff like which book reviewers to send to, where to advertise, creative messaging, etc., and I think you'll get better mileage out of your money in the eventuality that you do splurge on a paid ad. I can see why it would feel like a chore for you after the burnout before, though. :p

For Twitter, I also see the fatigue there, but if you can shake off the dislike and just enjoy it for what it is, I think it's a strong asset for book-stuff. 80% of the time you should just use it normally, of course. No one wants to look at endless "Buy my book!" posts, after all, but you can display your work without being a brand horn (or at least have the horn in the background...) by having your header advertise your book and note its homepage or where it can be bought in your profile. Your pinned tweet can also be book-related. Example: Mine The rest you can just play with and talk about writing or stuff you enjoy. Hopefully then you'd have fun with it and you'd build up a following naturally that shares your interests, some of who may be interested in your writing too. I've gotten lots of lovely feedback, sales, and promotional help from my twitter buds, and I try to do the same for others when I see things pop up. I think it's well-worth digging back into anyway, if only so you can vent there about the trials and tribulations of trying to market your book. :)

Anyway, wishing you luck and let me know when you get all your stuff rebooted. I feel pretty confident that it will help raise visibility on your work and get the word out. It certainly won't hurt anything (except maybe your brain).

The more you use it, the less usable it gets. So this means you end up using it less, and it becomes more useful.

Optimally you would never use it at all, but it is too darn late for that.

No one wants to look at endless "Buy my book!" posts, after all

"But all he said was: "Buy my book! Buy my book! Buy my book!" "

8b7fd709243ca421f34ae17beb265304.gif

Reminds me of some Twitter accounts.

I followed someone back without checking their account out first. I noticed the guy seemed to always promote his book. I pulled up his profile and he was literally posting the same promotional tweet over and over.

Mentioned before that I've been pretty busy with stuff, but some of it was actually book related... In addition to being printed, my book is also getting a comic! The publisher commissioned a new artist to do a new short I wrote that'll go into the physical version. Since it's pretty much done, I'm allowed to show little snippets of it. :D

Dead Endings: Pancakes and Sex

WO2OhCs.jpg
___
7voQyNP.jpg

Exciting times~

I followed someone back without checking their account out first. I noticed the guy seemed to always promote his book. I pulled up his profile and he was literally posting the same promotional tweet over and over.

I've seen bots like that too. Seems like it'd have way more negative effect than do anything beneficial. Weird.

I finally have an outline for the chapters and the way I want to setup the book's planned 30 chapters.

As far as things go, I am 6 chapters into Part I out of 10 planned for each of the three parts.

So far I've had a lot of difficulty over the last year or so really getting myself back into writing due to stress, life, and my mental problems. I'm always thinking about my novel, and I have the whole thing planned and I have probably written about 4k words the last two months, maybe.

Either way my existential Science Fiction, Lovecraftian Cyberpunk Detective story at least has a complete form, a complete and rather lovely idea of a long, brutal journey that takes the reader's expectations and flips them multiple times in expected and unexpected ways. A personal story that is more from the perspective of someone low on the totem pole but higher than some in a Dystopian view of the future. Honestly, everything has already been done, I decided when I first came up with this project that I wanted to take some of my favorite tropes, some of my favorite authors and pop culture/cinema and mix it up into a hard, thrilling, sometimes pulpy, cerebral psychological horror romp.

It's going to get harder to work on this since I'm having major shoulder surgery in two weeks time, and I won't be able to do much besides lay around in agony for 8-12 weeks before going to PT for months.

I'm half tempted to write as much as I can now.

Oh my god, that face is amazing. All that art looks amazing. Congrats on the book, and congrats on snagging such a good artist!

Cheers! I feel very lucky indeed. Between her and Irene I've been absolutely spoiled with art candy. Next up is the new book cover and back. *_* It's like Christmas all year 'round.

And, her faces are to DIE for. This comic is absolutely ace thanks to her.

njDjGvw.jpg
___
1fhsmiR.jpg

She has a Twitter and Tumblr (NSFW) if you want to see her other works.

sirap

Not really writing related, but I just bought a HHKB Pro 2 keyboard. This thing is hands down the best keyboard I've ever typed on. The topre keys are buttery smooth, and when you bottom them out you get an incredibly satisfying THOCK!

MC Safety

I write fantasy and science-fiction. I've also looked into contests, but I've been skeptical of them. I've seen a lot that ask for money, some up to $50 and I'm concerned I'm going to get cheated. I'm already unemployed right now, so I can't be throwing money away.

Do not pay to have your materials read. There are a lot of places that take advantage of unpublished writers by charging them contest entrance- or reading fees.

If you're serious about wanting to be published, check out the Writer's Market. It lists publications, editors, submission requirements, etc.,

http://www.writersdigestshop.com/wr...059957&CADEVICE=c&CA_6C15C=400007720000041036

Your local library probably has the most recent edition.

Not really writing related, but I just bought a HHKB Pro 2 keyboard. This thing is hands down the best keyboard I've ever typed on. The topre keys are buttery smooth, and when you bottom them out you get an incredibly satisfying THOCK!
This guy destroys my fingers when I type a lot. If only it had arrow keys itd be GOAT

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Alright, GAF.

Inspired in large part by all of you, I've decided to bite the bullet and work on self-publishing a small collection of short stories that I've been writing over the years.

The collection is going to have five stories (each with short story notes) and an introduction, about 25k words. Most of them have done their rounds at the pro-paying SFF magazines to varying degrees of success (my later stories generally made their way through the slush piles into the hands of the editors), but only one sale (my story "A Night with Spirits and Snowflakes" appeared in the Sword & Laser Anthology). I've sat on each of these stories for a while, and I've never been able to shake the feeling that they want to be read, and though the couldn't find a home with the pro markets, there's still space for them and readers who will enjoy time with them. So, leveraging my decent sized audience of readers, I'm in the midst of assembling my collection: Tide of Shadows and Other Stories for publication in May.

A few thoughts:

• Oh god. Hold me. I'm scared.
  • The stories are currently with Richard Shealy, one of the best copy editors in SFF. If you're going to do it, better do it right, yeah? I should get my copy edits back in the next couple of days. I'm very curious about this process.
  • Cover art is in process. I'm excited to show it off.
  • I'm thinking of including short "story notes" after each story. I'll use the space to think back on the genesis of the story, and some thoughts now that I'm a few years away from writing it. (A Night for Spirits and Snowflakes, for instance, is really male-character heavy, something I would change if I had a chance to rewrite it now.)
  • Once I have a decent draft, I'm going to send out a copy to some of my author/blogger friends in hopes of drumming up some blurbs and early interesting. That part is going to be intimidating, to say the least.
  • How much would you consider paying for a short fiction collection with five stories + notes (about 25k)? $2.99? $3.99?

One aspect that I've come to grips with is that this is entirely a vanity project - I want these stories to be read - and that I don't expect to recoup my costs (cover art, copy-editing, etc.) Short fiction is a difficult market even for established writers/prozines!

So, thanks, all, for the encouragement and creating such a lovely environment for aspiring writers.

Alright, GAF.

Inspired in large part by all of you, I've decided to bite the bullet and work on self-publishing a small collection of short stories that I've been writing over the years.

The collection is going to have five stories (each with short story notes) and an introduction, about 25k words. Most of them have done their rounds at the pro-paying SFF magazines to varying degrees of success (my later stories generally made their way through the slush piles into the hands of the editors), but only one sale (my story "A Night with Spirits and Snowflakes" appeared in the Sword & Laser Anthology). I've sat on each of these stories for a while, and I've never been able to shake the feeling that they want to be read, and though the couldn't find a home with the pro markets, there's still space for them and readers who will enjoy time with them. So, leveraging my decent sized audience of readers, I'm in the midst of assembling my collection: Tide of Shadows and Other Stories for publication in May.

A few thoughts:

• The stories are currently with Richard Shealy, one of the best copy editors in SFF. If you're going to do it, better do it right, yeah? I should get my copy edits back in the next couple of days. I'm very curious about this process.
  • I'm thinking of including short "story notes" after each story. I'll use the space to think back on the genesis of the story, and some thoughts now that I'm a few years away from writing it. (A Night for Spirits and Snowflakes, for instance, is really male-character heavy, something I would change if I had a chance to rewrite it now.)
  • Once I have a decent draft, I'm going to send out a copy to some of my author/blogger friends in hopes of drumming up some blurbs and early interesting. That part is going to be intimidating, to say the least.
  • How much would you consider paying for a short fiction collection with five stories + notes (about 25k)? $2.99? $3.99?

One aspect that I've come to grips with is that this is entirely a vanity project - I want these stories to be read - and that I don't expect to recoup my costs (cover art, copy-editing, etc.) Short fiction is a difficult market even for established writers/prozines!

So, thanks, all, for the encouragement and creating such a lovely environment for aspiring writers.

Congrats!

I think all of us self-published GAF authors should give you blurbs for the back cover! :)

Me writing with a blank keyboard would lead to a whooooole lot of gibberish. That THOCK! does sound attractive, though.

Alright, GAF.

A few thoughts:

I think there's a whole lot of pleasure to be found in the fact that it is just a vanity project. No stressing about needing to sell it, no worries about trying to frame it any other way but the way you want it... Just enjoy adding the fine touches. At the end you'll have something you put a lot of quality ingredients into (dat sexy copy editing) and readers will get a taste of something you're really proud to share. Anything that comes after like outside interest or sales is just bonus.

For your other stuff:

- Story notes would be grand. I enjoy reading the thought process behind projects and it'll help other writers to see it.

- Price point-wise, short stories seem a really hard sell, but I'm sure my publishing friends would say to stick to not undervaluing your work and put it at the $3.99. We talked before in the thread about perception and price point, and I think the higher ones actually did better or projected a better impression on people? Maybe release the shortest story of the batch free as a sample of the contents to entice people to buy and put it at $3.99. That way you're still getting readers for your work/sharing a story as you originally wanted (free will always attract eyeballs) and also selling at a price point that says there's lots more good stuff where that came from.

One of my favorite beers. That's amazing.

:D Same here! I just had to put it in the comic. The elephant aura is too cute to resist.

Weird things are happening, Gaf, and it seems like this is where I should post about it.

After three post-film school years of mostly writing for myself and others out of a single room of my parent's place and earning nothing, I have within the space of little more than a week suddenly found myself hired to write five-volume Graphic Novel.

I can't get into specifics, but the whole deal is basically being funded by a wealthy guy in Hong Kong who had the initial story idea first volume outline and is putting up his own money for the entire budget.

It gets weirder because next month sometime he's flying me and the illustrator out there (I'm from the UK) to spend a few days on his Superyacht and get everything laid out.

*breathes*

I just needed to tell someone, because I'm still not convinced I'm not in a coma.

Weird things are happening, Gaf, and it seems like this is where I should post about it.

After three post-film school years of mostly writing for myself and others out of a single room of my parent's place and earning nothing, I have within the space of little more than a week suddenly found myself hired to write five-volume Graphic Novel.

I can't get into specifics, but the whole deal is basically being funded by a wealthy guy in Hong Kong who had the initial story idea first volume outline and is putting up his own money for the entire budget.

It gets weirder because next month sometime he's flying me and the illustrator out there (I'm from the UK) to spend a few days on his Superyacht and get everything laid out.

*breathes*

I just needed to tell someone, because I'm still not convinced I'm not in a coma.
Congrats! That's awesome!

FlowersisBritish

I finally found the perfect ending to a story I've been working on for close to a year now. It's such a good ending that I am baffled I hadn't thought of it before. Now i feel like i can start putting this into serious competitions and what not!

Alright, GAF...

Good luck! I've been thinking of doing the same with a lot of my stories. I've had it planned out as well. It might be something I do a year from now when they've all done some more time bouncing around magazines. I think I'd pay about 3.99 maybe 4.99 for a short story collection, depending on how long and how good the stories were.

- Story notes would be grand. I enjoy reading the thought process behind projects and it'll help other writers to see it.

- Price point-wise, short stories seem a really hard sell, but I'm sure my publishing friends would say to stick to not undervaluing your work and put it at the $3.99. We talked before in the thread about perception and price point, and I think the higher ones actually did better or projected a better impression on people? Maybe release the shortest story of the batch free as a sample of the contents to entice people to buy and put it at $3.99. That way you're still getting readers for your work/sharing a story as you originally wanted (free will always attract eyeballs) and also selling at a price point that says there's lots more good stuff where that came from.

I am going to write all this stuff down, because it's excellent advice.

*breathes*

That sounds awesome!

Just... Make sure somebody knows where you are at all times and have a system where you call in once an hour.

I'm not saying you will have to face a decision where you either have to swim for survival or face a chilling game of life or death at the hands of a rich Asian mad man....

... But I'm just saying.

aidan

Congrats!

I think all of us self-published GAF authors should give you blurbs for the back cover! :)

I'll see what I can arrange. I've always had a lot of support from GAF.

A short story collection by a Hugo Award winner? Sounds great to me! ;)

Haha. While that's technically true, it might be a little misleading to to call myself a Hugo Award winning author in this instance. ;)

I think there's a whole lot of pleasure to be found in the fact that it is just a vanity project. No stressing about needing to sell it, no worries about trying to frame it any other way but the way you want it... Just enjoy adding the fine touches. At the end you'll have something you put a lot of quality ingredients into (dat sexy copy editing) and readers will get a taste of something you're really proud to share. Anything that comes after like outside interest or sales is just bonus.

Thanks. I can't stress enough about how much this mindset has helped in assembling the collection. I spent a lot of time early on thinking about how I could monetize the project, get it out there to the widest possible readership and not only get a ROI, but make a profit. I wasn't having any fun. As soon as I lowered the stakes and shifted perspective, recognizing it as a person project, I began to enjoy myself and it's come together quickly. I did some math, figured out how much I could afford to put into the collection assuming I don't make a penny, and I was off to the races.

And, thanks for your other thoughts. Most people agree that story notes are great.

Good luck! I've been thinking of doing the same with a lot of my stories. I've had it planned out as well. It might be something I do a year from now when they've all done some more time bouncing around magazines. I think I'd pay about 3.99 maybe 4.99 for a short story collection, depending on how long and how good the stories were..

Thanks! If you do end up going down this path, I'll be happy to talk to you about my experience (well, whatever isn't already documented publicly here on GAF!) Good luck. :)

*breathes*

That sounds awesome, but also kind of crazy. Has he send you a contract, have you vetted him, have you received an initial payment so you know he's not wasting your time (or just luring you out to a game of manhunt like toddhunter said...)?

It sounds like an adventure if it works out. Congrats/good luck and keep us and your family posted!

I am going to write all this stuff down, because it's excellent advice.

That's the prevailing thought coupled with a freebie compromise that I think would help both ends, anyway. :) I'll probably do something similar for my next book if it's not picked up by anyone.

I'll see what I can arrange. I've always had a lot of support from GAF.

Haha. While that's technically true, it might be a little misleading to to call myself a Hugo Award winning author in this instance. ;)

Thanks. I can't stress enough about how much this mindset has helped in assembling the collection. I spent a lot of time early on thinking about how I could monetize the project, get it out there to the widest possible readership and not only get a ROI, but make a profit. I wasn't having any fun. As soon as I lowered the stakes and shifted perspective, recognizing it as a person project, I began to enjoy myself and it's come together quickly. I did some math, figured out how much I could afford to put into the collection assuming I don't make a penny, and I was off to the races.

And, thanks for your other thoughts. Most people agree that story notes are great.

Thanks! If you do end up going down this path, I'll be happy to talk to you about my experience (well, whatever isn't already documented publicly here on GAF!) Good luck. :)

It makes everything just one pleasant surprise after another, and not being saddled with the money-time monkey riding your back will make it an extra pleasant journey. And, I'm confident you'll make something on it anyway. Passion and having fun with your stuff just shines through in blogs, tweets, when you talk about it, and that's attractive to people. Good things ahead~

aidan

It makes everything just one pleasant surprise after another, and not being saddled with the money-time monkey riding your back will make it an extra pleasant journey. And, I'm confident you'll make something on it anyway. Passion and having fun with your stuff just shines through in blogs, tweets, when you talk about it, and that's attractive to people. Good things ahead~

Thanks. Having fun and enjoying the process is half the reason I'm doing it. I've sat on one side of the industry for so long that I'm curious to find out what it's like on the other side (as an author and as a publisher.)

I got my copy edits back today and I'm very happy with the work he did on the stories. The editor also said, "You're a shockingly clean author. This may be the least grammatically / punctuation-f***ed piece I've ever copyedited. My hat's off to you!"

Haha. I guess that means I'm off to an okay start.

Cowlick

Banned
Mentioned a while ago how I was tossing up between finishing editing a previous novel, or setting it aside to write a new one. Got some great advice in response, so I just thought I'd check in to say I went with the latter course, taking the first half of this year to focus on writing draft one of novel two.

Gave novel one a quick glance last night, and the distance I've put between it has allowed me to see it with a much fresher mindset, which should assist in the editing process. Before, I knew it back to front, word for word. Now, months later, I still know it, but not to the degree where verbatim knowledge of the text gets in the way of editing for story, if that makes sense. If nothing else, I've learned that - for me, at least - this part of the process takes time, and to allow for that time in future projects.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the advice, and for this thread in general. Gets me inspired and jealous like nobody's business. :)

Thanks. Having fun and enjoying the process is half the reason I'm doing it. I've sat on one side of the industry for so long that I'm curious to find out what it's like on the other side (as an author and as a publisher.)

I got my copy edits back today and I'm very happy with the work he did on the stories. The editor also said, "You're a shockingly clean author. This may be the least grammatically / punctuation-f***ed piece I've ever copyedited. My hat's off to you!"

Haha. I guess that means I'm off to an okay start.

The author side seems to involve: fear (that your work will suck), shame (for promoting it when you're worried it doesn't measure up), and sky-high joy when people do read it, like it, buy it, review it, etc. It's all mostly joy, though. :)

Does sound like you're off to a running start. Next step is to entertain yourself with funny/unorthodox ideas for promoting to book, like bus bench advertising and human billboards.

Mentioned a while ago how I was tossing up between finishing editing a previous novel, or setting it aside to write a new one. Got some great advice in response, so I just thought I'd check in to say I went with the latter course, taking the first half of this year to focus on writing draft one of novel two.

Gave novel one a quick glance last night, and the distance I've put between it has allowed me to see it with a much fresher mindset, which should assist in the editing process. Before, I knew it back to front, word for word. Now, months later, I still know it, but not to the degree where verbatim knowledge of the text gets in the way of editing for story, if that makes sense. If nothing else, I've learned that - for me, at least - this part of the process takes time, and to allow for that time in future projects.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the advice, and for this thread in general. Gets me inspired and jealous like nobody's business. :)

It does help a lot to set it down for a while then have another look. Once you get it done editing-wise, come back and chronicle your adventures in publishing. I'm really eager to hear more about everyone's progress once their book's out the door.

Cowlick

Banned
It does help a lot to set it down for a while then have another look. Once you get it done editing-wise, come back and chronicle your adventures in publishing. I'm really eager to hear more about everyone's progress once their book's out the door.
Any tips on finding a good beta reader? (Once I've scrubbed it up to a reader-ready state, that is.) I'm kind of hesitant to show my work to people I know; I worry their feedback would skirt around any issues for fear of offending. Is the money spent for a professional critique - cold, brutal, honest - worth it in the long run?

As for publishing, right now I'm looking at self-publishing - I figure not many traditional agents would bother with an unknown writer with zero books under his belt, right? Or is self-publishing just throwing it into the online muck pile?

Any tips on finding a good beta reader? (Once I've scrubbed it up to a reader-ready state, that is.) I'm kind of hesitant to show my work to people I know; I worry their feedback would skirt around any issues for fear of offending. Is the money spent for a professional critique - cold, brutal, honest - worth it in the long run?

As for publishing, right now I'm looking at self-publishing - I figure not many traditional agents would bother with an unknown writer with zero books under his belt, right? Or is self-publishing just throwing it into the online muck pile?

Well, a few in this thread are in that scene and might be willing to do a trade (you read theirs, they read yours). Cosmic, hyams, and Mike M seem to be doing that at the moment. There are also groups you can sign up for that I've heard discussed here. Mine went through the pub's stable for that so I don't have any specific web recommendations there, but if you want a professional editor to take a brutal hammer to yours, I would recommend mine. I cried about some of the changes a bit in this thread when she first started, but looking back on it it was a valuable experience and I think it benefited the book a lot. She certainly didn't hold back to spare my feelings. :)

Aside from editing, the guys I went with also have a lot of other things for the self-pub route(*). They can offer you suggestions or support on a number of areas (marketing, submissions, editing, printing, hook up with good artists, etc.): Sparkler Distro. You'll also find plenty of other options in the thread on printers, editors (aidan just had his done too), agent/selling strategies (MC_Safety?).

*As for which route to go, it will be hard to get traction when you're self-published because as you noted, it's a wiiiiiiiide field, but I would say the route depends on how much you want to invest in your book/what your purpose is behind releasing it. Are you hoping to make a living off this? Is it for fun? Semi-serious hobby? If you do want to make a stab at a career, you should probably invest in at least a professional editor (and cover/art splurge?). Some people have made it just fine on their own, but I think that's pretty rare. If you do get it professionally cleaned and the beta feedback is good, then you could shop it around to agents, confident that you at least have something presentable and interesting. Make your shot at it the best it can be and you stand a chance, basically.

For a semi-serious writer (many of us, I think), having it cleaned/vetted by others (more a time than $$$ investment here) would also ensure that when you test the waters by self-publishing, you stand the best chance of getting a good reception. You can do a dedicated editing pass yourself too, but it's hard to see some things when you're in the thick of it (IMO). If you're just writing for fun, self-publishing is probably the way to go for you and you can take things as casually as you like (DIY-style). On either front, there's always a chance that your book will get noticed anyway or sell like gangbusters. You never know.

FlowersisBritish

Holy fucking shit, I'm in a book. I'm in a collection of stories and poetry and it's sitting next to me right now. Also I got a complimentary pen saying I got published. It is instantly my favorite pen. If that pen told me to break all my other pens in an ink circle to honor it's name, I would...

Top Bottom