• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing-GAF: Writing, Publishing, Selling |OT|

sirap

20k shorts is rapidly becoming the standard for romance, especially with the rise of authors like Deborah Bladon (seriously, go check out her books if you're interested in getting in the game)

There are a couple of benefits with shorter books:

1) Shorter books in a serial means cliffhangers, and those things are incredibly powerful. Just think about it, someone who's just finished the first book will be hungry for the next one, and this is where you put up a mailing list signup and links to other books under your pen-name. From my experience, readers who signup and read the 2nd book, are almost guaranteed to purchase the 3rd and 4th book as well.

2) Rankings and exposure. If you release books consistently you'll avoid the dreaded 30-day cliff. If you're not familiar with that, it basically means after 30 days you'll get a sharp decline in sales because of how Amazon promotes books. Keep publishing, and your books will always be featured. Put links to your older books at the front and back of newer ones, and they'll get the benefits of promotion too.

3) Bundles. Bundle all 3-4 of your serials in one big book and charge a higher price. Not only do you get an additional source of income, but you can also promote them with Bookbub (they only accept >40k books)

4) Permafree. This will make you stupid rich, believe me. Everyone loves free shit, and if you make the first book free...well, you'll be bathing in cash ;)

So would something like, say, a series of zombie short stories (with a twist!) be viable with this model? It's something I've been wanting to do for a while and this might be the excuse I need.

In other news, the amazingly positive feedback I'm getting on my third book from beta readers is super encouraging. In fact, plot points for a potential prequel have been coming to me one after another thanks to that and I'm actually pretty excited to do more with this story even though it wasn't in the cards at all. Writing up an outline/brainstorming doc for it right now. The downside of that is I'll be putting off the sequel to my second book even longer, but I definitely need to be in the right mindset for another big undertaking like that, and it's not like I've gotten any kind of feedback from it in the first place outside of the beta readers, positive or negative.

So would something like, say, a series of zombie short stories (with a twist!) be viable with this model? It's something I've been wanting to do for a while and this might be the excuse I need.

In other news, the amazingly positive feedback I'm getting on my third book from beta readers is super encouraging. In fact, plot points for a potential prequel have been coming to me one after another thanks to that and I'm actually pretty excited to do more with this story even though it wasn't in the cards at all. Writing up an outline/brainstorming doc for it right now. The downside of that is I'll be putting off the sequel to my second book even longer, but I definitely need to be in the right mindset for another big undertaking like that, and it's not like I've gotten any kind of feedback from it in the first place outside of the beta readers, positive or negative.
I wonder too about the zombie thing, but I also wonder when the zombie cliff will come because it seems over played at this point.

I wonder about something in the superhero vein.

I wonder about something like tales of a knight errant which could lead to all sorts of interesting paths, including zombies, softcore romance, etc. Hmm.

I wonder whether I can churn stuff out this quickly given I have enough challenge writing 1k words per week on my current project.

So would something like, say, a series of zombie short stories (with a twist!) be viable with this model? It's something I've been wanting to do for a while and this might be the excuse I need..
I've been thinking of doing the same with this model, but with science fiction. Group of characters flying about ala Firefly or something, only not as good since...you know, that shit is hard to top :p

When I have time, I'm going to go for it regardless. Seems like a bunch of fun. So that's my advice to you.

360pages

I must be approaching writing as a career correctly because it feels like work.

Your first Draft is usually the most fun to write...honestly it's one of those things is to get a lot of people to read it. Look into their opinions, and remember not everyone is going to like or dislike the same things about a story.

Also a grammar checker and editor. Because most people are human and can't catch everything. It's important to take at least 2-3 looks at your story. (Maybe even more) before even thinking about publishing it.

Hey everybody, I've been watching this thread for a while, though I haven't posted anything. I'm working on a detective mystery novel, in the style of Chandler and Hammett, so basically film noir. I did parts of the novel for NaNoWriMo, but I decided to change up the structure.

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any resources that specifically deal with mysteries, like the Writing Rants deal with fantasy.

Gazoinks

Hey, is anyone else doing Camp NaNoWriMo? Come be my buddy? :p http://campnanowrimo.org/campers/gazoinks/novels/k

I'm mostly using this to finish a short story (which I think is one of the best things I've done so far), but I'll probably throw in some more short stories as well since one isn't much of a challenge for a month.

Meanwhile, novel editing continues! Blergh! I think I'm almost at the point where I can give this to people to read for feedback. Makes me kinda nervous.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Your first Draft is usually the most fun to write...honestly it's one of those things is to get a lot of people to read it. Look into their opinions, and remember not everyone is going to like or dislike the same things about a story.

Also a grammar checker and editor. Because most people are human and can't catch everything. It's important to take at least 2-3 looks at your story. (Maybe even more) before even thinking about publishing it.
I'm just doing writing prompts, organization and research at this point. I have ideas for stories, but want to work on short stories and outlines first. I'm going to start participating in the GAF writing challenge. I had a bad experience years ago, but I feel more prepared now. Getting a routine down is important.

And draft two of Amp is done. Pretty stoked on that. I think it ends really well, though the journey there is still in need of some work. Got some dream sequences (i really like dream sequences) that maybe go on for too long.

Sending to some test readers now, so hopefully I'll get some good feedback for drafts three and four.

There should be a mini-NaNoWriMo where everybody writes and publishes a 20k erotica at the same time for the same price, then races them like horses to see who makes bank. Sirap can judge, Cosmic will host, and we'll all be rich and swimming in awkward sex scenes.

I'd be down for this.

edit: to those pumping out 20k words every 2 weeks and publishing them, how big a concern are typos to you for your first publication? That seems like a lot to edit in a very short amount of time.

Gah...when I see all of you talk, it just makes me realize you guys are on another level. Especially when I'm thinking about sharing something. I always think.

(Wow, this is shit compared to these guys, I'll come back when I have something more respectable.)

That never happens sadly.

Also, how would you guys rate White Smoke as a grammar editor, thinking about buying it.

Not really. We're all pretty much in the same boat. The fear that your stuff sucks is always there. :)

Actually, 20k is not necessary unless you're more in the romance category. Most people are selling 4 to 8k shorts, and some people are going even smaller. Readers don't complain, at least not that much. Most aren't paying full price anyway since more than 80% seem to use Kindle Unlimited or the borrow system.

There might very well be major advantages to doing longer stories and novellas, but I haven't investigated it. I've heard that romance authors do even better than erotica authors, but the readers are more demanding.

One resource I found useful was the erotica authors subreddit. You can comb through there and find lots of info on the practical side of things (keywords, length, pricing, cover design, niches, titling). Neither one of my stories would've sold at all if I hadn't spent a few days there learning all the weird tricks.

edit// One option would be to write a 20k erotica story, and structure it so it would be easy to break up into a trilogy. I think there are a lot of people who work that way.

You're just making this sound more and more doable. When I'm on point I can pump out a pretty decent 7-10k a night. I'll definitely check out that subreddit. Thanks for the tips/links!

20k shorts is rapidly becoming the standard for romance, especially with the rise of authors like Deborah Bladon (seriously, go check out her books if you're interested in getting in the game)

There are a couple of benefits with shorter books:

1) Shorter books in a serial means cliffhangers, and those things are incredibly powerful. Just think about it, someone who's just finished the first book will be hungry for the next one, and this is where you put up a mailing list signup and links to other books under your pen-name. From my experience, readers who signup and read the 2nd book, are almost guaranteed to purchase the 3rd and 4th book as well.

2) Rankings and exposure. If you release books consistently you'll avoid the dreaded 30-day cliff. If you're not familiar with that, it basically means after 30 days you'll get a sharp decline in sales because of how Amazon promotes books. Keep publishing, and your books will always be featured. Put links to your older books at the front and back of newer ones, and they'll get the benefits of promotion too.

3) Bundles. Bundle all 3-4 of your serials in one big book and charge a higher price. Not only do you get an additional source of income, but you can also promote them with Bookbub (they only accept >40k books)

4) Permafree. This will make you stupid rich, believe me. Everyone loves free shit, and if you make the first book free...well, you'll be bathing in cash ;)

I'm not what you'd call keen on romance for my own reading, but writing...? I wonder. I'm very curious to try out this method. If I do buckle down and give this a go, I'll be sure to keep all these tips in mind. I'd definitely want to try this experiment under a pen name, though. Haha. I imagine it's possible to have two accounts on Amazon, but I'll have to look into that. Anyway, thanks for all the info!

I must be approaching writing as a career correctly because it feels like work.

If you've only just started and it's already a chore, I do worry about your career choice. You have to have some fun with it.

Hey everybody, I've been watching this thread for a while, though I haven't posted anything. I'm working on a detective mystery novel, in the style of Chandler and Hammett, so basically film noir. I did parts of the novel for NaNoWriMo, but I decided to change up the structure.

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any resources that specifically deal with mysteries, like the Writing Rants deal with fantasy.

I don't have any mystery-writing resources for you, but wlecome all the same, Scollard~

I'd be down for this.

edit: to those pumping out 20k words every 2 weeks and publishing them, how big a concern are typos to you for your first publication? That seems like a lot to edit in a very short amount of time.

Oh yeah? After all the above advice, roughly scheduled I could see 3 shorts 8-10k each, doable by end of April (need to buffer for work-work) if anyone else wanted to give it a go. Editing, cover fun, and set-up for the beginning of May, then release the first short mid-May or something with the next two to follow every week or so? I'm still puttering around until my actual book prints, so it could be a fun little experimental diversion. Any other takers?

sirap

I'm not what you'd call keen on romance for my own reading, but writing...? I wonder. I'm very curious to try out this method. If I do buckle down and give this a go, I'll be sure to keep all these tips in mind. I'd definitely want to try this experiment under a pen name, though. Haha. I imagine it's possible to have two accounts on Amazon, but I'll have to look into that. Anyway, thanks for all the info!

You can only have one account under your legal name (for payment purposes) but Amazon lets you add as many pen names as you want.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
If you've only just started and it's already a chore, I do worry about your career choice. You have to have some fun with it.
People here sure like to read too deeply into things I say.

As I said before, writing prompts are the only writing I'm currently doing. I plan on participating in GAF writing challenges moving forward. I've mostly spent my time doing research on topics I want to write about, taking a course to help me learn better, listening to a podcast about writing, and reading. I'm still looking for more resources on how to become a better writer. I agree that writing more will improve my skill, but there's more to it than just that.

I said it felt like work, not a chore. I am enjoying it, but spending 40 hours a week (my current goal) on it is work. I'm keeping track of my time to prevent any slacking, which is easy to do when you're working for yourself. You also have to understand I'm still in the process of creating a routine and disciplining myself to keep on track. I haven't even set too many long term goals yet.

This is all new to me, but I'm really happy with how I'm approaching it. This is a career, not a hobby.

DD

Guys, seriously, does it get easier with the time? I'm writing for some years now, and I really believe that I've improved a lot (even though I believe I still suck) the quality of the stuff I write, but I'm still slow as f*ck (the fact that I take only a few minutes a day doesn't help :p), and feel mentally tired after it.

Some days I can make a lot of progress, but there are some tricky parts of the story that really slows me down a lot. Yesterday, for example: I already know in advance a lot of stuff that will happen on the next chapters of my book, but even so I felt slowed by the little things that happen between the key moments. I'm always amazed of how guys like Stephen King have the ability to fill these gaps between the key moments, while this being my biggest struggle. So, does it get easier with the time? As I've said, I feel that my writing improved with the years, but I still don't feel comfortable to dive into the little almost-insignificant things.

Also, I'd love to take part of this NaNoWriMo and the GAF writing challenges. But if it's hard to me to write in Brazilian Portuguese, I can't even imagine myself trying to write in English. :p

Oh yeah? After all the above advice, roughly scheduled I could see 3 shorts 8-10k each, doable by end of April (need to buffer for work-work) if anyone else wanted to give it a go. Editing, cover fun, and set-up for the beginning of May, then release the first short mid-May or something with the next two to follow every week or so? I'm still puttering around until my actual book prints, so it could be a fun little experimental diversion. Any other takers?

Definitely. I could use the extra cash, but I think I need something to hold me accountable until I get a good workflow going. Plus it seems like good fun :)

Gaz_RB

I'm in for the Official Neogaf Amazon Erotica Challenge.

My dream of writing a time traveling prehistoric romance can finally be realized.

Krowley

Guys, seriously, does it get easier with the time? I'm writing for some years now, and I really believe that I've improved a lot (even though I believe I still suck) the quality of the stuff I write, but I'm still slow as f*ck (the fact that I take only a few minutes a day doesn't help :p), and feel mentally tired after it.

Some days I can make a lot of progress, but there are some tricky parts of the story that really slows me down a lot. Yesterday, for example: I already know in advance a lot of stuff that will happen on the next chapters of my book, but even so I felt slowed by the little things that happen between the key moments. I'm always amazed of how guys like Stephen King have the ability to fill these gaps between the key moments, while this being my biggest struggle. So, does it get easier with the time? As I've said, I feel that my writing improved with the years, but I still don't feel comfortable to dive into the little almost-insignificant things.

Also, I'd love to take part of this NaNoWriMo and the GAF writing challenges. But if it's hard to me to write in Brazilian Portuguese, I can't even imagine myself trying to write in English. :p

Honestly, the little things are sometimes the hardest for me. It can be a nightmare just getting a guy to walk from one room to another.

When something is really hard to write it sometimes means you instinctively sense there is something wrong with it. Maybe you're bored by it. If so, the reader will probably be bored too, and it might be better just to skip ahead to the next good part as fast as possible.

I still find writing mentally tiring, but I think you can develop a greater endurance for it by challenging yourself to larger word counts and working on a very consistent basis.

If you take several days off, when you come back things will be harder. Momentum is really crucial. You can get to the point were producing thousands of words a day is like a reflex. You get in this rhythm where you wake up every day, follow exactly the same routine and the writing just happens.

Look into Freewriting. A guy named Peter Elbow wrote a really good book about it called Writing With Power, and there are lots of articles on the web about it. I started using it as a creative exercise to help develop ideas, and doing it every day really improved my overall writing endurance. It also helped me get in touch with my natural voice and improved just about every aspect of my style.

Freewriting can be especially helpful for figuring out what to do in those tricky "in between" spots. I still use it regularly any time I get stuck, and I usually do at least 10 minutes of freewriting every day when I start writing as a warmup. It helps get the words flowing.

Sorry, just couldn't find the time to write it down. It's a fairly elaborate process, I'll try to get to it as soon as I'm free.

lol, no worries. Take your time. Just making sure you saw it since I know how busy you are (and insane with that sleep schedule of yours :D ).

DD

Honestly, the little things are sometimes the hardest for me. It can be a nightmare just getting a guy to walk from one room to another.

Yeah, that's the same with me. I recently passed the most important part of the my story, where everything finally makes sense to the reader, and spoke about hardcore stuff like the big bang, string theory, parallel universes, invisible dimensions, and even God, and it was probably the easiest part of the book, and I was sure that when I finally reach that part, I would get stuck due it's complexity. Of course I had to do a lot of research, but it was easy to overcome it. And then, yesterday it was a struggle to write a scene of a character walking from a parking lot to a hospital reception, lol.

Well, waking up at 5am and feeling deprived of sleep doesn't help :p

When something is really hard to write it sometimes means you instinctively sense there is something wrong with it. Maybe you're bored by it. If so, the reader will probably be bored too, and it might be better just to skip ahead to the next good part as fast as possible.

I still find writing mentally tiring, but I think you can develop a greater endurance for it by challenging yourself to larger word counts and working on a very consistent basis.

If you take several days off, when you come back things will be harder. Momentum is really crucial. You can get to the point were producing thousands of words a day is like a reflex. You get in this rhythm where you wake up every day, follow exactly the same routine and the writing just happens.

Look into Freewriting. A guy named Peter Elbow wrote a really good book about it called Writing With Power, and there are lots of articles on the web about it. I started using it as a creative exercise to help develop ideas, and doing it every day really improved my overall writing endurance. It also helped me get in touch with my natural voice and improved just about every aspect of my style.

Freewriting can be especially helpful for figuring out what to do in those tricky "in between" spots. I still use it regularly any time I get stuck, and I usually do at least 10 minutes of freewriting every day when I start writing as a warmup. It helps get the words flowing.

Yeah, I started writing this book in 2013, but in 2014 I decided to spend my time writing short novels (8 to 12K words), and it was good. I took pleasure from that, and I fell that I've improved. Then, in 2015 I decided to get back to the book, and it took me something like a week or even more just to get back to writing it. It was really hard to get back, but now I'm full swing, and I usually try to write everyday.

About free writing, yesterday I took some photos at the beach really early in the morning, and looking at them I have this idea: write short fictional stories about every pic I upload to Flickr. I'll see if I get to it. :)

EDIT: and yeah, I still don't feel like having a voice yet, and have no idea on how to find it. :p

EDIT: and yeah, I still don't feel like having a voice yet, and have no idea on how to find it. :p

Best I can give on voice--don't try. Just write, re-read, and revise. When you notice that your writing feels different, try to curve it back into the mold (unless there's a good reason to let it escape).

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Anyone here writing for submission to literary journals? Would love to talk shop :)

FlowersisBritish and Cyan have already mentioned it, but I've found that Duotrope to be a great service. There is a fee for the use of its database ( a few dollars a month), but it also helps me keep track of submission windows, deadlines, guidelines, and response times. I've found a few potential magazines and journals through it.

Anyone here writing for submission to literary journals? Would love to talk shop :)

FlowersisBritish and Cyan have already mentioned it, but I've found that Duotrope to be a great service. There is a fee for the use of its database ( a few dollars a month), but it also helps me keep track of submission windows, deadlines, guidelines, and response times. I've found a few potential magazines and journals through it.

I am! But I keep not sending my writing out even though I have a subscription.

Basically, they got me.

Gaz_RB

Just finished reading Stephen King's On Writing.
Should be required reading for anyone even remotely interested in writing.

Everyone says this, but I've yet to see a compelling argument as to why this is so.

I think the compelling argument is that there is no compelling argument. There are no secrets revealed or tricks that he suggests to be a good writer.

He basically says find what works and do it, which I think is the right way to go.

I think the compelling argument is that there is no compelling argument. There are no secrets revealed or tricks that he suggests to be a good writer.

He basically says find what works and do it, which I think is the right way to go.
This.

his "reduce your first draft by ten percent" and "avoid adverbials" are nice little tips that I've taken from On Writing though.

Honestly, I'm just a huge fan of Stephen King, so I really loved the autobiography-ness of that book. Was more interested in him than in what he had to say on his craft in some respects.

Nearly done with the outline for the prequel to my 3rd book. This is going to be a far bigger mindfuck than anything I've attempted before, and the 3rd book is already a pretty big one. Hope I can pull this off when I feel good enough to write again.

DD

Best I can give on voice--don't try. Just write, re-read, and revise. When you notice that your writing feels different, try to curve it back into the mold (unless there's a good reason to let it escape).

I usually don't, because when I do, I feel goofy and ashamed as f*ck, haha!

But thanks for the advice. :)

Mike M

Nick N

Well yeah, but I don't need Stephen King to tell me that : P

Gaz_RB

Well yeah, but I don't need Stephen King to tell me that : P

Being a pretty young/inexperienced writer, it really is sort of hard for me to imagine what surrounds others' writing processes, what sort of mindsets professional writers have, or just what their daily routine is. I've always just sort of written for myself because I love it, and as I'm now wanting to move into writing for other people to read, King's book just came at a good time. If you're already an experienced writer like yourself, I can see his book being far less useful. But after reading some other books that tried to give a formula for writing, King's broader take was more what I was looking for.

and lol at your email tag, I feel exactly the same way about Cell. I don't actually like the 4 or 5 books I've read of his, but for some reason On Writing grabbed me.

Mike M

Nick N
Stephen King's non-horror that I've read I've found to be pretty enjoyable, so honestly I'd probably dig it. But the time, man. The time... Most of my reading is critiquing my group/CWC GAF entries these days : /

Gaz_RB

Is your writing group local? Did you just get together with some writer friends or did you find it online? Been looking to get into one.

Mike M

Nick N
Is your writing group local? Did you just get together with some writer friends or did you find it online? Been looking to get into one.
Oh man, that is a long and storied drama that can be found a few pages up thread.

Bottom line, they're local, we initially got together via Meetup and splintered off from another group that wasn't working out. I will vouch for the difficulties in getting a good group together...

Gaz_RB

Doesn't seem like there are any in my area, so I'll try to set one up maybe. Could be pretty useful I think, as right now the only people who read my stuff are my roommates. And I can only make them read over my 100k+ monster so many times haha.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

Finally! Fuck all these novelists, its the short story writers time to shine! I've actually been having a lot of trouble finding markets lately. One of my A-list stories has been sitting on the side line for awhile because I cant find a place I want to send it, although I've been thinking of The Fiction Desk. The trouble is paying markets, they're few and the more legit ones only take print submissions.

Also does anyone else have a journal they always submit to when they can? For me it's the New England Review, I just really want to get in it...

All my short stories that could maybe go into journals I'm too afraid to send. Gonna self publish em all in one big collection after I write another three novellas and two poems.

Ya'll have bigger balls than myself :p

What the hell? Get your stuff out there and keep it moving. A lot of people talk themselves out of letting go. This isn't some masterpiece (I'm assuming) you are holding onto.

Jintor

I gotta actually write some stories :T

maybe i should do the creative writing challenges when I find some time

BorkBork

Finally! Fuck all these novelists, its the short story writers time to shine! I've actually been having a lot of trouble finding markets lately. One of my A-list stories has been sitting on the side line for awhile because I cant find a place I want to send it, although I've been thinking of The Fiction Desk. The trouble is paying markets, they're few and the more legit ones only take print submissions.

Yay! I think my form is flash pieces, both short stories and non-fiction. I do a bunch of essays too, but they're more meditative and personal than the standard persuasive variety. But yeah it's tough to find paying markets, for sure. Duotrope's pretty good for helping with that though.

Also does anyone else have a journal they always submit to when they can? For me it's the New England Review, I just really want to get in it...

I do a lot of nature writing, and my dream publication is Orion Magazine. I've sent in three pieces so far. One's been rejected (it was like the first thing that I wrote - it was terribad haha), two are still pending. I try to shoot for something per submission window. Next one's in June - I have something knocking around in my brain.

Also, I'm really jazzed that I recently got a piece accepted by Flyway, a journal on writing and environment. Yay!

I am! But I keep not sending my writing out even though I have a subscription.

Basically, they got me.

You are never going to get published if you don't submit. Send send send! But first read the guidelines for each mag so you don't waste your time.

As an aside, a lot of places do accept simultaneous submissions now - just let them know as soon as it's been accepted elsewhere.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

The Grinder is a good free alternative.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
All my short stories that could maybe go into journals I'm too afraid to send. Gonna self publish em all in one big collection after I write another three novellas and two poems.

Submitting is really more a week to a month of hard work/editing and then a waiting game. Once it's submitted all thats left is waiting. Rejections are depressing, but you'll get used to them.

I do a lot of nature writing, and my dream publication is Orion Magazine. I've sent in three pieces so far. One's been rejected (it was like the first thing that I wrote - it was terribad haha), two are still pending. I try to shoot for something per submission window. Next one's in June - I have something knocking around in my brain.

Also, I'm really jazzed that I recently got a piece accepted by Flyway, a journal on writing and environment. Yay!

Congrats!!! Publication is a high like no other!

360pages

I actually post some of my stuff on sites just to get reviews and see what I can do to improve. If people start reading it then it gives me more motivation to continue it and finish it up and save editing for later.

No one is going to steal it.

BorkBork

The Grinder is a good free alternative.

Thanks! The interface looks similiar.. does it have a non-fiction section?

What's the worse that could happen? They're just going to say no, or not respond. Rejection's part of the game :)

It's all good....Unless you get a level 6 rejection.

Top Bottom