• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wtf is this shit about burnout3. is it true??

The game is playable with players from around the world, though those with NTSC copies of the game won't be able to play against PAL users due to the speed and timing changes inherent in making a game for both standards

when you click on live option:

You are currently running in 60Hz mode. Although you will be able to see 50Hz players you will not be able to join their games.

?????

shuri

Banned
Oh now thats lame. I have no idea how it wouldnt work, since at the low level, it's just tcp/ip packets that contain data that would have been easily converted from a 50hz to 60hz and back on another level of the osi ladder.

Lil' Dice

Banned
That's fucking bullshit, every other XBL enabled racing game allows PAL players to play with NTSC players, so what the fuck's up with EA?

shuri

Banned
I may not be a deep expert into video timing and so on, but like I said, I have no idea how it would be a problem since the consoles are only trading positions on the maps and so on, and that should be pretty independant on the video format displayed

Unless Criterion did some strange stuff. And I guess thats what happened :(

doncale

Banned
01_l.jpg

+

LIVE

+ players worldwide

=

Burnout burns out online :D

Burger

I can't even think of HOW to get a 50hz game to talk to a 60hz game. Its not impossible, but its pretty hard to program I imagine.

Bungie are working on NTSC -> PAL online timings for Halo 2.

BeOnEdge

Banned
Burger said:
I can't even think of HOW to get a 50hz game to talk to a 60hz game. Its not impossible, but its pretty hard to program I imagine.

Bungie are working on NTSC -> PAL online timings for Halo 2.

what about every other xbl game? motogp was 60fps.

thorns

Banned
that's fucking stupid. they could have had the controls update both in 60fps and just update the display in 50hz in the pal version and 60hz in NTSC. I can't imagine that being any kind of programming challenge. PGR2 updates controls at 60 fps whether it's pal or ntsc .

I fucking play with German and British CS players (on their servers no less) all the time on XBox live. This don't make much sense to me.

JayFro

Banned
That blows! I loved racing against Euro dudes in Moto GP 1&2. Who the hell do they have making this stuff?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
My PS2 NTSC version says:

"You may see European players using a different television standard, you wont be able to join these games"

Maybe there is a 50/60Hz option in the PAL version that would allow to pla with those that set the mode to 60hz? I really hope so, 'cos otherwise I don't' see what this statement means "The game is playable with players from around the world".

thorns

Banned
There's on option on the dashboard to use pal-60(meaning PAL resolution at 60hz) but not all TVs support that refresh rate.. It would be interesting to know if you can play regardless of your tv when you set to pal-60.

Pug

I don't fully understand the reason why you can't play across different TV standards but every single Live game I have plays perfectly with anyone in the US (I'm in the UK). I'd also imagine that most if not all Live users are using PAL 60 anyway, and to be honest you'd have to have a really old set that didn't support 60hz, even my cheap £50 portable works fine on 60 hz as does a 10 yr old 20inch set I found in work. Seriously most gamers in Europe should be using PAL 60.

Brannon

Project Gotham Racing 2
Moto GP
Anything Tom Clancy
Mechassault
Numerous other Live games

EA/Criterion/Burnout devs have no excuse. At all. Don't dispute this.

Pug

DJ Brannon, totally agree I have no Idea what EA/Criterion are making such a big issue about. Considering MS groveled like hell to get EA on Live in the first place they don't half seem to making a bit of a botch out of it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This suggests that some of the underlying game logic or network code has a dependency on framerate or refresh-rate..which to be honest, is just really really bad engineering. I'm very surprised given that this is Criterion (home of Renderware etc.). I mean, one of the major rules of good design is to seperate components as much as possible..the video output should be totally independent of the network code and game logic. Unless I'm missing something (and I could well be, but given the number of games that don't have this problem, I doubt it).

eso76

That's probably because the code is not optimized for 50hz at all, meaning the game is just the same as the ntsc version, only running at a lower refresh rate and therefore moving slower; this would be an abvious disadvantage for PAL50 users playing against 60hz users.
But i can assure you, 97% of xbox european users play in PAL60, so that's not going to be a major problem anyway.

pilonv1

When you log in it says if you are running at 50hz you won't be able to join a game with 60hz players. So it should be 50hz v. 5hz and 60hz v. 60hz. Why you'd play it at 50hz when the Xbox does PAL 60 is beyond me though.

eso76

pilonv1 said:
Why you'd play it at 50hz when the Xbox does PAL 60 is beyond me though.

Only because there's like a 0.1% of TV's here which were built in the 19th century and don't support 60hz.
Oh, and because Halo Pal runs much better in pal50 :)

Shompola

Banned
pilonv1, does that mean that PAL users can switch between 60hz and 50hz? So If I set Xbox to Pal60 I can play with NTSC users?`tried it? thanks in advance.

Drexon

Banned
eso76 said:
Only because there's like a 0.1% of TV's here which were built in the 19th century and don't support 60hz.
Oh, and because Halo Pal runs much better in pal50 :)
Yah, even Zelda WW was released in 60hz only, never heard _anything_ about that, so that more or less proves it.

Interesting. I think running a 60hz game and displaying it at 50hz would look bad, it wouldn't look as good as an optimised product anyway - it would be kinda jerky probably. Theres a reason Freeloader on the Gamecube only outputs US/JPN games at 60hz..

With regard to this game - when there's PAL60 I can't see the excuse... there are a few more lines of resolution but every console out right now is capable of it, and many modern TVs are capable of displaying it. Maybe the games are different in some way? If the packets that the PAL game sends are basically different from those the NTSC game sends, it simply wouldn't work. That's the only reason I could think of.

Drexon said:
Yah, even Zelda WW was released in 60hz only, never heard _anything_ about that, so that more or less proves it.

Wind Waker runs in 50hz too. It's the Ocarina of Time Master Quest disc that's 60hz only

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Rabid Wolverine said:
Sega had the same policy for Pal users for the 2K4 Sports Series.

Please remove the above post this is obviously an EA created problem and only their fault. No one else has ever done this before. Thank you.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
inexcusable to say the least.

Miburou

I've always wondered about this. I remember Mario Kart 64 record times being significantly shorter on PAL N64 compared to NTSC ones. How did they get around this with those other cited XBL games?

thorns said:
There's on option on the dashboard to use pal-60(meaning PAL resolution at 60hz) but not all TVs support that refresh rate.. It would be interesting to know if you can play regardless of your tv when you set to pal-60.

PAL-60 has NTSC resolution, only PAL colour encoding.

Warrior

Banned
I have been playing people from the USA for the last few days with no problems what so ever. (I'm using PAL60.)

:)

eso76

Little do you know about the suffering in being a pal gamer...

Before the Godly Dreamcast was launched, PAL users always had to settle for 50 hz games. Well, in exchange for the lower refresh rate, PAL granted a slightly better vertical resolution...

Problem was; when porting games from ntsc (jap or us) standards to Pal with no optimization, the following things happened:
1) due to the slightly higher res, the same amount of pixels which would fit the entire height of the screen in ntsc, would fit a 'shorter' vertical area in pal. Therefore making characters shrink and look fat and leaving 2 rather large black areas above and underneath the "gaming screen". You'd play game in letterbox, basically, and with wrong geometry.
2) Lazy ports didn't take into consideration correct 'timing' but only 'frames'. In other words: Let's say it takes 60 frames to throw a punch in the ntsc version of Tekken 2 (which was actually one shitty port for us pals). In the pal version, your character still needed the same 60 frames of animation to complete the movement. Obviously, while it took the ntsc version one second to display the movement, the pal version would take 1 full second PLUS another 1/5 of a second (10 frames). 1"20 if you prefer. A whole 18.5% slower, and that's a lot.

Shit like this still happens; Anyone who experienced playing as a short, fat Dante in a very slow Devil May Cry knows far too well...

Dreamcast was a Godsend, as it was the first console to allow pal gamers to display games in ntsc resolution at 60hz. Xbox and, to a slightly lesser extent, Nintendo Gamecube followed it's footprints, while Ps2 still has quite a few shitty pal ports.

I'm guessing this is what happened to Pal Burnout 3; the game just runs slower when displayed at 50hz, and that's why it wouldn't be fair to let 50hz'ers and 60hz'ers compete against each other. Not that it's a major problem anyway; 98% of pal xbox owners play in PAL60 anyway, and i think they will be able to compete with ntsc users.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
isamu said:
which version?

Well considering the site is called xblracing... I'm going to make the huge leap of faith that they are speaking about the Xbox version.....

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
heh my bad, Im not operating on all cylinders right now :)

Top Bottom