• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF? MGS wasn't on Filter's top-ten videogame stories list?

goodcow

... what the hell is wrong with these G4 viewers? I could understand something like Panzer Dragoon Saga not being on the list since nobody's played it, but Metal Gear Solid? This reaffirms my hatred of this channel.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Who cares

And damn don't we have enough G4 threads going around? What is this, bash G4 week?

Btw, what was the top 10 list?

jett

D-Member
Terrorists get their hands on a nuclear weapon and threaten to destroy the world unless they're given a ZILLION dollars. Only one man can stop them. Best plot ever.

I kid, I kid. :p

way more

More
gasoline.gif
for the fire

I'm sure we all know Shenmue was on Filters list of top 10 worst games. Number 2 I just now recall.

goodcow

Newbie said:
Out of curiosity, what was the top 10?

Not sure of 10-7, but:

6 - Shenmue 2
EDIT: 5 - Secret of Mana
4 - Grand Theft Auto
3 - Metroid Fusion
2 - Crono Trigger
1 - The Legend of Zelda

MoxManiac

I'm sure we all know Shenmue was on Filters list of top 10 worst games. Number 2 I just now recall.

Wow. What could possibly be worse then Shenmue? I certainly wouldn't want to play whatever number 1 is.

MGS's story is an over-egged mess, opponents telling you their entire, bullshit, life story does not make for a good story.

Planescape:Torment is a great story, very well told.
Deus Ex is a great story, very well told.
Grim Fandango is a great story.
Anachronox is a great story.

GTA has no story. neither does zelda, really guys, it doesnt.

ManaByte

Gold Member
goodcow said:
What the fuck? Was it?

Yes, and even better on one show featuring Shenmue, one of their expert guests said Shenmue 2 was done by Microsoft and Sega didn't really have much to do with it.

FoneBone

MGS's story is really overrated, and it's kind of disturbing that so many people actually seem to think it's "deep" and "meaningful." Not a bad game, though.

indeed there is, i just provided you with 4. here is another addition: Second Sight. good script, great voice acting (you north americans dont have it yet, but you will soon)

thats 5.

Teddman

Well, at least Chrono Trigger ended up at #2, so the list isn't all bad.

But GTA, Zelda, and Secret of Mana? Story is not the strongest point of those games...

MaddenNFL64

It's G4's fault. They give the g4techtv.com visitors a list & they choose the games they want to win. Someone sees SoM, LTTP, and GTA listed, and they vote for it, even though it shouldn't even be listed.

Letting website visitors vote on this shit is idiotic. They should just send out surveys to proffesional game journalists & let them vote.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
I've never played MGS.. but MGS2 was dumb. I did'nt give two shits about the storyline.. i tried playing it but they would keep interrupting me with annoying cinematics that I did'nt care about.

Vlad

mac said:

Even better was that it was way up there on their "Best of the Dreamcast" list. So apparently one of the best games on the Dreamcast system is still worse than all but one other game ever.

I have a strange affinity towards top ten lists, but Filter ends up disappointing more often than not.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They rated Zelda at number one?!?! Zelda games have totally throw-away stories, what are they thinking?! Grand Theft Auto games are just as bad.

MaddenNFL64 said:
It's G4's fault. They give the g4techtv.com visitors a list & they choose the games they want to win. Someone sees SoM, LTTP, and GTA listed, and they vote for it, even though it shouldn't even be listed.

Letting website visitors vote on this shit is idiotic. They should just send out surveys to proffesional game journalists & let them vote.

Exactly, and G4 has by far the dumbest gamers in the world, and that's saying A LOT.

Zelda cool and all but best STORY?!

The Number one story is...

Ganon is stealing the triforces Zelda spilts the last one into 5 peices now the hero with no back story or personality, for no real reason goes and collects the peices, beats gannon...yay! you win.

now repeat that for most of the zelda games.

And Shenmue...admitedly I never played part 2 but if Part one is any reflection....My father was killed (or kidnapped...I forget) now I must do really pointless tasks and a lot of waiting around only to progress the story the equivlant to 10 pages....

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jesus, this list is just pathetic. Where's Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey, Monkey Island games... Games, that have good, well told and gripping stories. Zelda and GTA3 are just wrong choices in light of such more obvious quality.

Filter is retarded. Maybe if every show on G4 wasn't a re-run we could cast our own votes. :p The people who select and vote for these games are obviously limited to only recent vg experience.

Tabris

Johnny Konami said:
Filter is retarded. Maybe if every show on G4 wasn't a re-run we could cast our own votes. :p The people who select and vote for these games are obviously limited to only recent vg experience.

6 - Shenmue 2
4 - Grand Theft Auto
3 - Metroid Fusion
2 - Crono Trigger
1 - The Legend of Zelda

Huh?! ...I agree with it being retarded, just not the recent vg experience thing.

goodcow said:
Not sure of 10-7, but:

6 - Shenmue 2
4 - Grand Theft Auto
3 - Metroid Fusion
2 - Crono Trigger
1 - The Legend of Zelda

Just be specific... #4 was GTA: Vice City and #1 was The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Marconelly said:
Jesus, this list is just pathetic. Where's Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey, Monkey Island games... Games, that have good, well told and gripping stories. Zelda and GTA3 are just wrong choices in light of such more obvious quality.
Don't forget Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max. :)

Top Bottom