• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wukong sales top 18 million. DLC on the Way

Draugoth

Gold Member

Black Myth: Wukong has sold 18 million copies in two weeks — one of the fastest starts the global gaming industry has seen. That record pace has in turn minted millions for its earliest and biggest investor.

Wukong was a leap of faith for Daniel Wu, whose little-known Hero Games is the biggest external shareholder in creator Game Science. His startup stuck with its partner through years of flops and contributed a large chunk of the blockbuster title’s $70 million budget over six years of development, an unheard-of undertaking for a Chinese project.

It paid off big time. The action game based on the legend of the Monkey King has outsold industry icons such as Elden Ring and Zelda, at least in its initial spurt. It can reach 30 million sales over its lifetime, augmented with an expansion to come, Wu told Bloomberg News.

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Fun Pixel GIF by BigBrains

Hookshot

Gold Member
I don't think China is quite so bad that if you don't buy it your kids get taken away but it probably helps your social credit score some how.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
His startup stuck with its partner through years of flops and contributed a large chunk of the blockbuster title’s $70 million budget over six years of development

Western publishers are probably looking at this sentence and wondering how soon they can start their own studios in China.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Well deserved.

These guys absolutely shit on other developers in the same genre with their first fucking game. I cant wait to see where this studio goes next. They are officially on the map. so much potential to be the next major studio

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
No prob. like 13m to 14m coming from china
No worries. His 17M sales figure in China meant it only sold 1M in the rest of the world which is an obvious silly thing to say. The sales figures are probably like you've suggested (around 4M in ROTW and 14M in China).

Last edited:

Fabieter

Not that bad. The 60fps mode with frame generation only adds 16% of extra lag, as measured by NX Gamer. You can feel it when changing modes, but it's not even close to the laggiest games on console. It looks smooth, rare drops under 60, and reasonably responsive.

I also think it's has one of the better 30 fps modes tho. It's not technically perfect on consoles but far from a super bad optimized game.

Rudius

I also think it's has one of the better 30 fps modes tho. It's not technically perfect on consoles but far from a super bad optimized game.
I'm playing on PS5 with a fast PC monitor and to me the 30 fps mode seems very responsive, considering the low frame rate, but not smooth without a proper cap to 30, so I don't use it. That reasonable imput lag translates to the 60 fps mode with frame gen felling sufficiently responsive and smooth.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm convinced the CCP has 'asked' it's citizens to buy this game. No single player game dark souls clone etc sells this well, this fast regardless of quality.
Game would have sold much, much more if that were the case.

The game is based in the most famous chinese piece of literature, so it's no mystery why it's selling so much over there.

Fabieter

I'm playing on PS5 with a fast PC monitor and to me the 30 fps mode seems very responsive, considering the low frame rate, but not smooth without a proper cap to 30, so I don't use it. That reasonable imput lag translates to the 60 fps mode with frame gen felling sufficiently responsive and smooth.

Yea its not perfect by any means but I have seen way worse on consoles.

Fake

Gold Member
Tell us, was Concord supposed to be some Earth-shattering system seller or did be it have “crap” written all over it from the beginning?

We’re not talking about Starfield here.

Ask Sony what Concord should be. 8 years and we haven't figure out.

Why a game so mediocre take so much years to make and release with so much poor content while the other take half the time and is in fact helping Sony selling PS5?

I guess you are not seeing the point here.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Why a game so mediocre take so much years to make and release with so much poor content while the other take half the time and is in fact helping Sony selling PS5?

Nope, not seeing your point. This thread is about Wukong, yet, you’re off on a drunken tirade about Concord.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Not every game can be a winner tho.

Top Bottom