• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wukong sales top 18 million. DLC on the Way

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Only a couple of hours. It didn't grab me, so I just stopped playing.
Understandable. Hope you give another chance later on, imo is the kind of game that gets better the more you play.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Sad it doesn't run very well on console.
Kieran Culkin What GIF by SuccessionHBO

Saber

Holy shit, and i thought elden ring 20 mil was incredible...

And it was only available on digital too if the memory serves me right. Which kinda breaks the argument that certain games not selling because only being available digitally.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
And no Multiplayer. These fucking western pubs should take notice. 4 of the top 5 best-selling games of this gen aren't multiplayer games. Gamers have spoken, and yet these stupid pubs don't listen.

Wonder what the sales split is between PS5 and PC.
But how many are the top revenue or profit earners?

Last edited:
I didn’t really expect the game to be much substance, but pleasantly surprised by the reception and really happy for the devs’ success. I don’t really have time for it any time soon, but may pick it up on discount - definitely will play if it eventually hits PS+.

Mr.Phoenix

But how many are the top revenue or profit earners?
Doesnt matter. A game should be able to sell on its merits alone. And not all games are supposed to be forever GAAS titles.

Yes, we can look at games like Fortnite and say... this IP generated xxx amount of money each year. But that doesn't mean that a game that cost $100-$200M to make and brings in back over $1B in revenue is suddenly not a good investment. Lest we forget that the gaming industry as we know it today,m was built on that very model.

GAAS has got publishers forgetting what has been their bread and butter for the last 3 decades.

And it takes games like Wukong, Hogwarts, SM2...etc to hopefully remind them. I mean, hell just look at Warner... they released Hogwarts... then look at what they pushed out next. Or look at Sony... they released SM2... then fine they got lucky with Helldivers 2, but then look at Concord.

RainyNguyen

Only a couple of hours. It didn't grab me, so I just stopped playing.
I had the same feeling when playing the first half of Chapter 1, but from then on, the game gradually became more engaging, taking me from one surprise to another. Trust me, you will face some of the most interestingly designed bosses in recent years: some bosses can counter the player if you spam a skill too many times, or change their behavior and dialogue depending on the transformations or skills you use. Even the master of boss design, Fromsoftware, has never done this before.
This is a game with extremely high artistic quality, with many elements meticulously crafted, on par with Sony's top games. And to me, Wukong is better than GOW Ragnarok, only slightly inferior to GOW 2018

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I wonder how the big publishers will pander to the chinese audience like hollywood started doing. Will be hard to get your purple haired xe/xer employees on board.

skneogaf

I'm absolutely loving it on pc!

I read there were originally plans for way more chapters but shorter length.

I could honestly play this game till phantom blade or whatever it's called comes out.

Hudo

I had the same feeling when playing the first half of Chapter 1, but from then on, the game gradually became more engaging, taking me from one surprise to another. Trust me, you will face some of the most interestingly designed bosses in recent years: some bosses can counter the player if you spam a skill too many times, or change their behavior and dialogue depending on the transformations or skills you use. Even the master of boss design, Fromsoftware, has never done this before.
This is a game with extremely high artistic quality, with many elements meticulously crafted, on par with Sony's top games. And to me, Wukong is better than GOW Ragnarok, only slightly inferior to GOW 2018
If you like it, more power to you. It's just that I seldom return to something I didn't have fun with in the first couple of hours. But maybe there will be a longer stretch of nothing interesting coming up in terms of releases, and I might return to it.
Right now, I don't have any desire, tho. And there are more interesting games out (or about to come out). At least more interesting to me.

Zacfoldor

I don't think Sony money hatted this game but if they did it was a gigachad move. Like huge dick move. Then don't even promote it and it goes on to revenue > a billion. Then it doesn't run great on PS5 but is still a major system seller in new markets for the console. Then it goes on to get people to fiend for PS5 pro upgrade right before that system comes out. Like WTF.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
No prob. like 13m to 14m coming from china

Oh wow, I mean I was joking that most of that would be China, but this is insane.

The market is untapped there lol

I wonder how those other games will do that Sony is marketing for that whole China Project

GymWolf GymWolf ok, but remember, Elder Ring took longer to get to that number, thus is a flop. I wonder if FromSoft will even still be in business after this, or will they be bought out by Sony or MS? /s

Last edited:

SHA

AAA game sells very well in RotW and less in China: Best game ever...
Wukong: sells very well in China and less in RotW: CCP is at fault...

Do you see the logic here?
It's their dragon ball show story wise, it didn't happen arbitrarily.

meis345

Neo Member
Anything that aren't woke will likely or had a chance to be a hit. That's what we have learned.

REAL classic gamers > modern audience in any day

Game devs should be given the space and time to do their magic without external forces interrupting them. Let the creativity unleashed. Remember the time and the games in circa pre-2000 to 2010. It was the best for me.

Last edited:

meis345

Neo Member
Meaning GIF

Even if we assume all 18M copies were sold in China (which they weren’t) where the game costs $40, that still amounts to $720M in revenue before Steam and other stores take their cut. Nothing to 'lol' about.
The standard sells at 268 yuan in PRC.

6 = cool/awesome in Chinese
8 = prosperity in Chinese

Chinese numerology 101.

Last edited:
Imho a mediocre game aside from the graphics, but this type of game, namely a complete SP experience without MTX garbage, deserves all the success it gets in this day and age.
Go monkey!

Top Bottom