• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WV Mayor, local official under fire after racist social media post about Mrs Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/racist-post-michelle-obama-backlash-43524986

sigh, always the ape jokes, always

The director of a West Virginia development group and a mayor are under scrutiny after a racist post about first lady Michelle Obama caused a backlash and prompted calls on social media for both women to be fired.

Clay County Development Corp. director Pamela Ramsey Taylor made the post following Donald Trump's election as president, saying: "It will be refreshing to have a classy, beautiful, dignified First Lady in the White House. I'm tired of seeing a Ape in heels."

Clay Mayor Beverly Whaling responded: "Just made my day Pam."

The post, first reported by WSAZ-TV, was shared hundreds of times on social media before it was deleted.

The Facebook pages of Taylor and Whaling couldn't be found Monday. A call to the Clay County Development Corp. went unanswered and Whaling didn't immediately return a telephone message.

An online petition seeks to remove Whaling and Taylor. The nonprofit development group provides services to elderly and low-income residents in Clay County. It is funded through state and federal grants and local fees.

It is not affiliated with the town of Clay, which is about 50 miles east of Charleston.

African-Americans make up about 4 percent of West Virginia's 1.8 million residents, according to the U.S. Census.

About 77 percent of Clay County residents supported Trump in the Nov. 8 election. In 2012, President Barack Obama received 31 percent of the county vote when Republican Mitt Romney easily carried the state.

A message left for the West Virginia chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People wasn't immediately returned.

The town council has a previously scheduled meeting Tuesday.

Last week in Kentucky, Republican Dan Johnson defeated incumbent Democrat Linda Belcher in Bullitt County despite a series of Facebook posts that depicted Barack Obama and his wife as monkeys. Republican officials, including likely new House Speaker Jeff Hoover, had called on Johnson to drop out of the race. But Hoover declared last week that Johnson would be "welcome in our caucus."

About 77 percent of Clay County residents supported Trump in the Nov. 8 election. In 2012, President Barack Obama received 31 percent of the county vote when Republican Mitt Romney easily carried the state.

In before "But why is the fact they mostly supported Trump relevant? This is only causing divisiveness!"

Africanus

I got so heated at the Ape in heels comment.

Here we have the most educated First Lady in history, who is also poised, charming, and graceful. I'm sick.

She's being replaced by someone who broke immigration laws, plagiarized speeches, and supports her husband of ill repute.

It's just a coincidence that we keep seeing behavior like this from Trump supporters.

I have YET to be introduced to the Trump supporter who isn't a piece of shit when it comes to social issues.

Man you know some racist ass shit is about to come out someone's mouth when they call him Mr. Obama.

Like he's still PRESIDENT Obama, call him that you disrespectful fucks.

FLOTUS is 52, looks a decade younger, just made the cover of Vogue.
A simple twitter search for "Pamela Ramsey Taylor" and up pops an image of an overweight, ugly woman....

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
How did West Virginia turn from union state in the Civil War to what it is now?

I think my overly simplified theory is that poor Whites fled from the Democrats after the 80s and embraced a southern identity, including their politics. I've seen more Confederate flags and decals in rural Pennsylvania than in Texas. It's really fucking bizarre when you sit and think about it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Here we have the most educated First Lady in history, who is also poised, charming, and graceful. I'm sick.

She's being replaced by someone who broke immigration laws, plagiarized speeches, and supports her husband of ill repute.

Plagiarized Michelle's speeches and was praised for it... so infuriating.

How the fuck you gonna call a Black woman an ape then claim you didn't mean anything racist by it? The fuck is the disconnect in their brains?

If you're gonna try to compare an incredibly educated and brilliant woman to a lowly primate, the abso-fucking-least you could do is make sure your grammar game isn't weak as fuck.

Also, try not being a racist piece of human garbage.

"It will be refreshing to have a classy, beautiful, dignified First Lady in the White House. I'm tired of seeing a Ape in heels."
We've seen our new First Lady's nipples and bare ass, and if wasn't for a strategically-placed hand and some judicious shaving, we might've been able to see her snatch. Though I do agree, the photos are classy.

dankir

Are Melania's nude photoshoots gonna be okay with all conservative family folks too? Fucking racists shits.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How the fuck you gonna call a Black woman an ape then claim you didn't mean anything racist by it? The fuck is the disconnect in their brains?

I think it's just that they are extremely racist, but simultaneously recognize that racism isn't allowed. In order to deal with that state of cognitive dissonance, they just excuse anything that they do as "not racist," because of course they aren't racist -- in their minds they are good decent people and good decent people aren't racist. In fact, to insinuate that what they say is racist is the true insult!

To many republicans, even women sadly, they are happier to see a woman who is defined by her looks and subservience to her husband than to see a successful, intellegent and courageous woman like Michelle Obama. It's quite pathetic.

Plum

But if only we stopped calling these people racist and started calling them "afraid of their economic security" they'd come to our side!

...this is just disgusting. Hope their careers are ruined for good.

I still wonder about the disconnect in people's brains that makes them think that this stuff is okay to write in public with their names and professional titles attached and get surprised when there are consequences.

taylor_11_12_16.jpg

Pamela Ramsay Taylor. Why this lady commenting on anyone's looks though?

6f1196b89ed929ccd7078141bcee2313.jpg

Ogodei

This is actually an interesting phenomenon in the ideological diversity of the anti-slavery movement. There were the moral crusaders, many of them freed blacks or religiously motivated abolitionists. There were the northern industrialists who wanted to see the South crippled so that they would gain more prominence in national politics (and had an eye for the mass of laborers that were trapped down there), and then there were the free-soilers, white small farmers who opposed slavery because slavery threatened the economic viability of their farms. The mountainous parts of Virginia had very few slaves because plantations weren't viable up there, so West Virginia was happy to get shut of the state proper because they were largely free-soilers, but that made them no friends of blacks, free or slave, because they saw the free blacks as competition.

Same reason why Oregon, founded in the 1850s, was both viciously anti-slavery *and* viciously racist (having a law on the books banning blacks from making permanent residence there for over 75 years). Poor free whites felt that the mere presence of blacks was bad for them economically, whether those blacks were free or enslaved.

West Virginia's battling an inferiority complex that's lived there from the time of the first white English settlers, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Guys, you just have to reach out and understand these privileged white people and their anger instead of condemning their racism.

Economic anxiety. And I don't mean that in a haha way, but in an actual "overt, blatant racism is more likely to flourish with white folks in areas were there are severe economic issues"

After all, West Virgina voted for the Jewish guy in the primaries, has still had Democratic governors, and up until 2000, had went blue in the past few presidential elections (which includes both Bill Clinton years), and was much more blue than it is now in the first Obama election (Obama in 2008 won 42.8% of the vote in comparison to Clinton's 26.5%).

You can check the right column here to cycle through the presidential years and see the decline in blue

Now, this obviously doesn't mean that West Virginia was some sort of bastion of progressive antiracism back in the 80's and 90's (just like how being a Democratic voter in 2016 doesn't necessarily mean you're progressive on racism nowadays) . But it does mean that even while likely being racist, people can be convinced to vote Democrat. Hopefully that's the overall lesson learned for years going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom