• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WV Mayor, local official under fire after racist social media post about Mrs Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real interesting way of vocalizing economic anxiety…

Don't call then racist though, because that's just need and going too far and you only push these people towards Trump. In fact Michelle should fly out there and sit down and educate these people, get to know them and understand why they said that poor in taste joke! Everyone is demonizing these two women and that's not fair! Besides Trump is president-elect now; so instead of being divisive we need to unify and show respect to him and his supporters. <insert videogame/movie/book quote about being the better person>

Right, fuck these people. We need to stand firm against these fuckers and relegate them back to the woodwork in 2 years time.

mjlol.png
Literally my face when I read that.
What's that number? Like 50 people?

Klocker

How do we change these people's minds?

it could take decades for another Century or more to get this crap out of our system.

I can't believe people still act like this and think like this. it's disgusting makes me sick to my stomach to know that I have to share the planet with them.

NastyBook

The mayor has resigned:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/15/polit...ichelle-obama-racist-facebook-trnd/index.html

she says she isn't racist either.

edit: actually position may have been terminated...
What the fuck did she think she meant when she referred to a black woman as an ape then? You don't bandy that insult out on the regular, I'm sure.

EDIT: Still gonna sign the petition when I get home. If you want to be obstinate about the whole thing, then stay mad for life, scrub.

Worse to be called racist than to do racist things, I'm assuming is her thought process. Or she really literally thinks we're all idiots who somehow can't see what she meant.

Futureman

What the fuck did she think she meant when she referred to a black woman as an ape then? You don't bandy that insult out on the regular, I'm sure.

I just wish I could be alone with her and the other woman in a room and be like, "What don't you get about these comments being racist? You are racist because you made them. People who aren't racist don't make comments like these."

I honestly never feel bad when these kind of people lose their jobs. But I expect the "empathise/this went too far" crew to hop in and tell us how this kind of mentality is what is driving the country apart.

Worse to be called racist than to do racist things, I'm assuming is her thought process. Or she really literally thinks we're all idiots who somehow can't see what she meant.

Like you've never used the non racist interpretation of ape... Clearly you all are just too quick to judge.

EDIT: Still gonna sign the petition when I get home. If you want to be obstinate about the whole thing, then stay mad for life, scrub.

Reminds me of Clerks 2 with porch monkey.

So glad I don't live in that state anymore. So many ignorant, angry, racist and stupid people. Felt good to be back in a blue state this election.

Bladenic

The slut-shaming and disparaging of Melania is unfortunate.

On the other hand, there's a small part of me that doesn't mind it. Because, again, Michelle Obama was called equally terrible or even far worse things during her time. I know two wrongs don't make a right though.

Don't feel bad for Pam getting roasted though.

The mayor who gave the boilerplate "not a racist" appeal is not the one who made the ape comment. She posted the follow up comment.

She should of went with the standard hacked twitter though, such a political neophyte.

Sad to see racism being countered with sexism. What the fuck at some of those posts.

The fact she casually said that means that is the norm where they work and live.
Indeed.

Real interesting way of vocalizing economic anxiety…

Don't call then racist though, because that's just need and going too far and you only push these people towards Trump. In fact Michelle should fly out there and sit down and educate these people, get to know them and understand why they said that poor in taste joke! Everyone is demonizing these two women and that's not fair! Besides Trump is president-elect now; so instead of being divisive we need to unify and show respect to him and his supporters. <insert videogame/movie/book quote about being the better person>
But I expect the "empathise/this went too far" crew to hop in and tell us how this kind of mentality is what is driving the country apart.
How about you pull this crap when those people actually show up?

Dryk

The mayor who gave the boilerplate "not a racist" appeal is not the one who made the ape comment. She posted the follow up comment.

She should of went with the standard hacked twitter though, such a political neophyte.
Yeah she's going with the "I was referring to something else. My only crime is not calling out my friend's blatant racism" defence.

FLOTUS haters going hard in the paint now. This time, an Assistant Medical Professor in Colorado saw fit to call Michelle Obama a "monkey face" who speaks "ebonics" in a facebook post.

the poster is Dr. Michelle Herren, a pediatric anesthesiologist who works at Denver Health Medical Center, Children's Hospital Colorado and is listed online as an assistant professor at CU's School of Medicine.

Herren insists she's not racist & it looks like she'll still be employed by this hospital.

Denver Health's mission is to provide high quality health care to all, regardless of income levels, ethnicity, gender or social background. Our staff and our patient population are reflective of the diverse Denver Community we serve. We don't condone nor do we agree with the statements Dr. Herren made, as they are inconsistent with Denver Health's mission and values. However, we cannot control the opinions our staff choose to express as private individuals.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/cu-professor-under-fire-for-racially-charged-facebook-post

She makes roughly $363,000 a year at her current position. That economic anxiety.

FLOTUS haters going hard in the paint now. This time, an Assistant Medical Professor in Colorado saw fit to call Michelle Obama a "monkey face" who speaks "ebonics" in a facebook post.

Herren insists she's not racist & it looks like she'll still be employed by this hospital.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/cu-professor-under-fire-for-racially-charged-facebook-post

She makes roughly $363,000 a year at her current position. That economic anxiety.

only 363k? why not 500k? 750k?

economic anxiety!

Nepenthe

Weird statement from the hospital. No one is asking them to police people's opinions outside of the confines of the hospital; just to stop employing people who vocally see some of your potential patients and colleagues as subhuman.

only 363k? why not 500k? 750k?

economic anxiety!

Im concerned about this hospital not firing this woman or making any declaration of impending punishment or reprimand. No Black child should be anywhere near this woman and theres simply no way of knowing whether or not her bigotry is influencing her ability to treat patients & colleagues without racial prejudice.

Zaph

"However, we cannot control the opinions our staff choose to express as private individuals."
translates to:
"look, we don't need to pretend to give a shit about what black people think any more"

Also:

Dr. Herren declined an on-camera interview, but told Denver 7's Molly Hendrickson over the phone that her comment was taken "out of context" and insists she didn't realize the term “monkey face” is offensive.

Sure.

You'd be surprised how hard up for help some of these ERs are. Most are pretty desperate. They must be desperate to keep her.

bwahahaha

Im concerned about this hospital not firing this woman or making any declaration of impending punishment or reprimand. No Black child should be anywhere near this woman and theres simply no way of knowing whether or not her bigotry is influencing her ability to treat patients & colleagues without racial prejudice.

Yep this is certainly not a matter purely of private opinion, this is now a public health concern.

UPDATE:
Denver Health Medical Center confirms an anesthesiologist accused of posting a racially charged comment on Facebook is no longer seeing patients at the hospital until further notice.

"Denver Health is deeply disappointed by the remarks posted on social media by Dr. Michelle Herren against the First Lady of the United States. We are offended by the comments made by this individual, who was acting independently in her private capacity. Her views are contrary to the mission and values of Denver Health, and to our staff and patients. Denver Health proudly serves people of all races, genders, sexual orientations, and social backgrounds – and our staff and patient population truly reflect our diverse community and nation. We are reaching out to all of our patients, employees and physicians to reinforce our culture, mission and beliefs that all individuals regardless of their race, religion, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation are deserving of dignity and respect."

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/front-range/denver/denver-health-doctor-michelle-herren-no-longer-seeing-patients-after-racially-charged-facebook-post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom