• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Dreaver

I'm really interested to see what Apple will bring. Especially now Ive has even more control, he's a really good designer.

A little bit off topic, but right now I'm reading the biography of Steve Jobs and it is mind blowing how big his influence is for our modern society

well, OS X probably won't have DRM.

Ohsnap.gif

numble

Sony and Microsoft are setting down their big consumer strategies for the next decade. Apple is only setting down part of their strategy for the next year (there still will be the device reveal keynotes and probably a new product category introduced before the next WWDC).

dmshaposv

well, OS X probably won't have DRM.

Funny you say this about a company that easily drops legacy support, restricts app store purchases, buy "x" adapter for something that should've been there already, having not a single computer that is aimed at the Pro user (mac pro is overpriced and underpowered).

I love apple products, but they certainly don't care much about you anymore than other big corp like Sony, MSFT, et al.

Funny you say this about a company that easily drops legacy support, restricts app store purchases, buy "x" adapter for something that should've been there already, having not a single computer that is aimed at the Pro user (mac pro is overpriced and underpowered).

I love apple products, but they certainly don't care much about you as any other big corp like Sony, MSFT, et al.
way to fart all over my lulz

giga

But hardly anything will be announced really.

A new look of iOS 7, meh.

Macbook air/pro refresh will be interesting.
You don't think the hundreds of software engineers in Cupertino have only been working on a new look, right? Every WWDC they tout 1000 or so new APIs in iOS and OS X. That stuff will be the most interesting. At least to me.

Volotaire

You don't think the hundreds of software engineers in Cupertino have only been working on a new look, right? Every WWDC they tout 1000 or so new APIs in iOS and OS X. That stuff will be the most interest stuff. At least to me.

Yes I know, I was simplifying my comment. I know it will be a large overhaul. I was making comparisons to E3 really.

kaskade

So after this version of OS X are we going to 11? Or will it just be OS X forever? I wonder if a big upgrade to 11 would bring some bigger changes like a slight graphical overhaul. That makes it at least seem like a large update.

numble

So after this version of OS X are we going to 11? Or will it just be OS X forever? I wonder if a big upgrade to 11 would bring some bigger changes like a slight graphical overhaul. That makes it at least seem like a large update.

Maybe not OS X forever, but I don't feel like they will be switching to OS XI next year. Maybe something big will happen when iOS 10 comes around.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
OS 11 would need to be a big significant enough change to the architecture and feature set. When Apple released OS X they were basically reinventing the Mac OS and starting from the ground up. 10.0 was the initial "get it out there" release and 10.1 came shortly after. But all these OS X releases were basically equivalent to 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, etc. OS X is not so much a version number as it's a branding. The version numbers don't really mean much anymore. I don't see them ever getting to 11 at all before actually rewriting the way their versions are named for the public. Eventually it might not even matter anymore and they might even make it free just to make it easier to upgrade every year.

Juice

In software, it's not uncommon for versioning schemes to place meaning on the decimal positions beyond base-10 counting. Look up semver as one such scheme. A version like 0.7.64 is not unusual.

My 2010 MBP is feeling a bit old. If the new retinas deliver, I might jump in.
I have a 2007 or 08 Macbook... now that is really started to feel a bit tired. It still runs great... just having a bunch of programs open at once, it can kind of slow down.

I don't know if I want to jump in having them priced even more expensive than my current model, the OS going more towards iOS and no CD/DVD super drives anymore. I still buy cds and dvd's that I either want to play or rip. Plus I still do back up data to optical, so if they didn't loathe blu-ray, that would be nice too.

I will watch, but I am thinking if I do get a new laptop, its going to be a lenovo or something with Windows 7... but then even those start getting a bit pricy.

dkeane

Not going to happen but it would be fun if Apple marketed the next Mac Pros as high end gaming machines. There's rumors that they'll be very different. Whatever that means.

Mostly excited for software announcements. Bring it!

hirokazu

So it seems like there won't be any iPhone announcements at WWDC? That takes a bit of the excitement out of it but still excited for iOS and OS X.

Also is it just me, or there's been a lot less substantial rumours this year than, say, last year? I remember pretty much all the important things were known before the keynote. Unless the only important things are the small amount of rumours we have heard of, which means a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
iPhones are always in September/October now. Always. Along with iPads and iPods. (lol) WWDC is always for the OS. And sometimes a computer or two like in this case. But iOS devices are fall events always. The only exception was the iPad for its two first releases. But now they've also been moved to fall.

hirokazu

iPhones are always in September/October now. Always. Along with iPads and iPods. (lol) WWDC is always for the OS. And sometimes a computer or two like in this case. But iOS devices are fall events always. The only exception was the iPad for its two first releases. But now they've also been moved to fall.
Always as in twice? Its the latest precedent, but it's hardly a reliable trend when it comes to Apple these days. The rumours earlier this year pointed to an earlier announcement and release. My guess is things got delayed and pushed back. I think it would serve Apple better to have an earlier release of the iPhone.

Appleman

Always as in twice? Its the latest precedent, but it's hardly a reliable trend when it comes to Apple these days. The rumours earlier this year pointed to an earlier announcement and release. My guess is things got delayed and pushed back. I think it would serve Apple better to have an earlier release of the iPhone.

It just seemed like they'd been moving their whole iOS schedule to the fall, so it makes sense

numble

I certainly liked the staggered releases compared to now, where we go 8 months without a keynote, and I hope it isn't permanent, especially if Cook is teasing new product categories. There is some business sense in releasing your most popular and mature products for the Holiday wave, so maybe their new products will take the old spring slot to build up interest through the year and get new manufacturing processes straightened out.

From a organizational standpoint, having all your teams ready to push out product around the same time could be both good and bad. In the sense that you're giving every team a full year instead of them bouncing from product to product launch every couple of months, but there's the risk of less cross-pollination this way.

Mr Swine

Banned
Think we will be able to instal iOS 7 on Monday or will they announce beta and we have wait a couple of months before we get it?

KtSlime

What would OS 11 even look like? What new innovation in OS design can't be worked on top of OS X's Mach/Darwin? So if it is not a change in technology, then the next OS being 11 would be due to a need in marketing changes - how is the OS X brand currently damaged - seems more popular than ever to me.

11 won't come, there is no need for it. When Jobs said 'next 10 years', he was being modest. This OS is here to stay, and there is no need for a dangerous action such as starting a new OS from scratch - those days are over.

The Real Abed: Agreed, I think as the OS matures in this yearly release cycle they will eventually drop the cost all together so that they can keep users on the latest OS which will drive the developers to using the latest APIs and styles.

OS X 10.1 is really OS 11, 10.2 is really 12, 10.3 is really 13, etc. I mean the changes from OS 7 to 8 to 9 or whatever are basically the same as the changes from Leopard to Snow Leopard to Lion, etc.

It makes no sense to spend the time and resources on a Mac OS revamp when PCs are in a historical slump and show no signs of recovering.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The Real Abed: Agreed, I think as the OS matures in this yearly release cycle they will eventually drop the cost all together so that they can keep users on the latest OS which will drive the developers to using the latest APIs and styles.
Remember when iOS first came out as iPhone OS and was free for iPhone users but $20 for iPod touch owners. Then it became $10 at one point before they dropped the price completely. It's only a matter of time when Apple will do the same thing for the Mac OS. OS X has gotten cheaper and cheaper as time has gone on and it's gotten to the point Apple cares more about people being up to date than having to support multiple OS versions so they try to support as far back as they can device/computer-wise and make it easy as pie to upgrade. When they went digital for OS X updates they made it even easier since now you can upgrade your computer right in place with a very minimal amount of clicks and it doesn't even require you to get out of your seat or insert a disc anymore. And with about two versions ago iOS is the same way. As soon as iOS 7 is released your phone or pad or pod will tell you it has already been downloaded and you can install at any time. Simple as pie. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. They will definitely want to eventually get OS X to the same point. Where as soon as 10.x is released you computer will tell you it's available, possibly even download it automatically. Apple's view of the future is to always have the latest and greatest with as little work as possible. I like that.

Who knows, maybe 10.9 will be the first free version and the gateway to their always up-to-date path for OS X. Would be a nice surprise.

jstripes

Banned
What would OS 11 even look like? What new innovation in OS design can't be worked on top of OS X's Mach/Darwin? So if it is not a change in technology, then the next OS being 11 would be due to a need in marketing changes - how is the OS X brand currently damaged - seems more popular than ever to me.

I don't know why people are so antsy for it to roll over to "11", anyway. Mustbe some geek OCD thing. In recent years haven't we all learned that software version numbers have become absolutely meaningless? Chrome and Firefox being the most obvious?

The second digit in OS X is the significant digit. We're on version 8, version 9 is coming, and version 10 probably will be after that. And by the looks of the banner at WWDC, it looks like they're taking the focus off the version number anyway.

Even in the Windows world, Windows 8's version number is officially "6.2", and Windows 7 was "6.1". (Vista being 6.0.)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It makes no sense to spend the time and resources on a Mac OS revamp when PCs are in a historical slump and show no signs of recovering.
No, there's really just nothing they can do to make OS X more "revamped" really. OS X is still the most stable, most advanced consumer OS out there. And it's 13 years old. Well, no, it's technically 25 years old. And it's still more advanced than Windows which has made relatively few major changes to its backends since OS X came out. Don't get me wrong, Windows 7 is further ahead than XP was back then but OS X is just something else. The underpants of OS X are pretty tight. Apple won't revamp the Mac OS because they don't have to. Not because they don't see a need to. Microsoft is taking a route of their own with Windows. Apple isn't going to let Microsoft's actions change the direction they feel OS X should take. Hence the reason Apple hasn't put touchscreens in their Macs. Nor do I hope they eventually do. No matter how often I mistakenly reach for my Air's display thinking it's my iPad.

I don't know why people are so antsy for it to roll over to "11", anyway. Mustbe some geek OCD thing. In recent years haven't we all learned that software version numbers have become absolutely meaningless? Chrome and Firefox being the most obvious?

The second digit in OS X is the significant digit. We're on version 8, version 9 is coming, and version 10 probably will be after that. And by the looks of the banner at WWDC, it looks like they're taking the focus off the version number anyway.

Even in the Windows world, Windows 8's version number is officially "6.2", and Windows 7 was "6.1". (Vista being 6.0.)
Exactly. Version numbers do not equal better product. In the end they're really just arbitrary values given to a product based on how much work the developer put into it. Chrome and Firefox simply do a higher number every 6 months for no reason other than to say "here's a new version with a bunch of new features. Enjoy it!" Apple has even tried to get past the version number for years since switching to cat names. This is the first time in a while they're putting the number front and center which is interesting so I look forward to seeing where this goes. The 10 means nothing except that it's OS X. The second and third numbers are the important part. These days any version number front and center is marketing. Windows 7/8 for example above. Look at Photoshop. They changed to CS numbering after version 7. And subsequent numbers simply denote new feature sets. That's what it comes down to. A periodical release of a product that contains new features. Numbered for convenience's sake.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Officially it's "OS Ten" but I feel like the X stopped being ten a long time ago.

I can't be alone in calling it OS eX. Anytime I head people pronounce it ten in conversation it always takes me a second.

I hope they finally officially change it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The X stands for UniX. It just so happened that it came after OS 9. In fact they released OS 9 in order to help bridge the gap from the old Mac OS to the new one.

Top Bottom