• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Skunkers

Funny you say this about a company that easily drops legacy support, restricts app store purchases, buy "x" adapter for something that should've been there already, having not a single computer that is aimed at the Pro user (mac pro is overpriced and underpowered).

I love apple products, but they certainly don't care much about you anymore than other big corp like Sony, MSFT, et al.

Hard to say. There's definitely been a paradigm shift since the success of iOS, but before that, Apple historically had been really good about legacy support for Mac OS; referring to stuff like Carbon and Rosetta. Since the success of iOS that hasn't seemed to be as big a priority; for example, my Core Duo iMac is not supported for Lion/Mountain Lion as they require a Core 2 Duo. Hard to say if that was a fluke though, considering how small the timeframe was they made those Macs.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I can't think of any time they've ever officially called it OS Ex.
Never. They never have. Only people who don't know it's Ten call it Ex. Which isn't that many people seeing as OS X is very well known now.

I was just saying the Ten is an X because of Unix. Otherwise it'd be named "OS 10". They named it OS X to drive the point home that it is a robust OS built on a foundation of Unix/OpenStep. To help people realize that this wasn't the old classic Mac OS, but rather a brand new OS to usher in the new Mac generation and signify the old Apple was gone. This is the new Apple. And OS X is a new OS for a new Apple.

Hard to believe that the "New Apple" is 15 years old now. And the OS is 13.

I'm just rambling.

I've always called it Echs even though I know it is wrong of me. I have to correct myself in company lest I look a fool. D:

edit: what's even more sad about this is the fact is that I've used OS Echs since the original TiBook haha

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Why is it not Monday yet?

Also, I don't know whether the Retina Pro's will be updated at WWDC or not, I hope they at least show them off because I so want to see them. My super extremely high hopes are for a 16GB RAM option and 256GB SSD being the low end on the 13" with the price staying the same. Of course none of that will happen at all. But it's nice to want things.

hirokazu

Based on what?
Based on the original launch date of June or July as rumoured. I don't really think packing all their product announcements and updates around the same quarter or couple of months is a good idea I doubt it's Apple's intention to do so. It seems more likely the circumstances of how things lined up recently that made it so.

The other part is purely anecdotal, but it seems the general consensus with people I've spoken to about it is the iPhone 5 being somewhat tired and due for a refresh what with the non-stop announcements of major new Android phones (even though most aren't all that successful). The feeling that iOS 6 isn't much of a step forward has added to that sentiment, I think.

Wishful thinking.
Hah.

jts

...hate me...
He's right. It's OS Ten, its always been OS Ten.
Yes, but Mountain Lion is OS Ten Point Eight, not OS Ten Point Nine.

1Ib7iGs.gif

Satchel

Banned
Really hope Apple takes some design and functionality cues from WP8.

Might tempt me to switch back. Really getting tired of the app situation moving at a snails pace.

OS X 10.1 is really OS 11, 10.2 is really 12, 10.3 is really 13, etc. I mean the changes from OS 7 to 8 to 9 or whatever are basically the same as the changes from Leopard to Snow Leopard to Lion, etc.
Nooot quite.

I remember Mac OS 7.5, 8.5, and 8.6 being a big damn deal.

Apple's OS versioning has always been a little weird.

Gruber on iOS 7: 'All the Leaks Are Wrong'

I know almost absolutely nothing. I don't think I've been this ignorant of what's coming, software-wise, for a keynote since the iPhone 1 back in 2007. Which is great...I'm super excited. [...]

The one thing I keep hearing over and over again from friends who would know is...the one word I keep hearing is that some of the stuff they're going to show is "polarizing".

And I also heard from somebody that just "all the leaks are wrong". Which is interesting. I have no idea what to make of it.

Hard to say. There's definitely been a paradigm shift since the success of iOS, but before that, Apple historically had been really good about legacy support for Mac OS; referring to stuff like Carbon and Rosetta. Since the success of iOS that hasn't seemed to be as big a priority; for example, my Core Duo iMac is not supported for Lion/Mountain Lion as they require a Core 2 Duo. Hard to say if that was a fluke though, considering how small the timeframe was they made those Macs.

RIght, and while it sucks, I'm happy that Apple has ripped out support for 32-bit only processors completely while Microsoft still clodders confusingly along with both 32-bit and 64-bit applications. In the days of virtual machines and emulation layers, it's time, Microsoft.

neptunes

Looks like Jony Ive was actually the biggest proponent of skeumorphism and Forstall was pushed out for being too minimalist.

Scott, we have to go back.
Wasn't the look of the Calculator app his idea?(a homage to Braun). I think the calculator app is the most unappealing native app on the device.

jstripes

Banned
RIght, and while it sucks, I'm happy that Apple has ripped out support for 32-bit only processors completely while Microsoft still clodders confusingly along with both 32-bit and 64-bit applications. In the days of virtual machines and emulation layers, it's time, Microsoft.

It also helped that the Mac's market share started taking off around the same time they started putting 64-bit chips in all their machines, so they could give it that push without too much legacy to worry about.

dream

I approve of these avatar changes, and I look forward to celebrating McKayla Monday with you all.

An iOS update that added a file system and made it really useful would be the sort of think I'd love and Gruber would despise (until Apple did it then it would suddenly be the greatest idea ever).

So that sort of polarising would be great... :)
An actual file system with hierarchical folders would be terrible. I'd much rather just uncouple document storage from individual apps and use metadata to decide which apps can see them.

Gruber made it clear on the podcast he's at least pretending to not actually know anything, so "Gruber on iOS 7: 'All the leaks are wrong'" is a pretty shitty way to phrase it when he attributed it to a single anonymous source.

Mindwipe

An actual file system with hierarchical folders would be terrible. I'd much rather just uncouple document storage from individual apps and use metadata to decide which apps can see them.

To be blunt, I don't much actually care as long as different apps can see files they didn't create in some way with some central repository.

Not being able to install a third party email client that can attach a word processed document in 2013 is shit.

As for Gruber's comment, I actually don't think it means anything except for him to be able to use the quote on the DF homepage to be libellous about Google while trying to be uselessly cute about it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Hey guys if you want in on the inevitable beta of iOS 7 tomorrow could you please PM me your UDID and I will add them all at once tomorrow morning until I have no space left.

First come first served. One UDID per GAFer.

In the PM please set the UDID and your GAF name together on one line with a space:

UDID DeviceName

For example:

A12345678901234567890123456789 CrunchinJelly

Edit: To clarify, this is free. I don't want to mess around with PayPal. I will not be replying to PMs. Instead, after I have submitted the UDIDs tomorrow, I will make a post in here with the list of GAFers who I have added.

Hey guys if you want in on the inevitable beta of iOS 7 tomorrow could you please PM me your UDID and I will add them all at once tomorrow morning until I have no space left.

In the PM please set the UDID and your GAF name together on one line with a space:

UDID DeviceName

For example:

Edit: To clarify, this is free. I don't want to mess around with PayPal. I will not be replying to PMs. Instead, after I have submitted the UDIDs tomorrow, I will make a post in here with the list of GAFers who I have added.
How many slots do you have? I'm very tempted to do this, having the iOS... 5 I think? beta was a lot of fun.

Also that's super nice of you to do it for free!

UDID DeviceName

For example:

Thanks! iPhone registered. Hope I don't wish I'd gone with my iPad instead.

HoTHiTTeR

DeveloperGAF Protip: Don't waste a slot in his UDID pool unless you're ok w/ the device;

• Becoming unresponsive, requiring a reboot
  • Battery life sucking
  • Some of your favorite apps not working
  • Needing to update/restore 1 within a week of the new beta becoming available

DeveloperGAF Protip: Don't waste a slot in his UUID pool unless you're ok w/ the device;

• Battery life sucking

Agreed. If you have an iPhone & iPad and your iPhone is your main communication device, I would heartily recommend you registering your iPad instead if it's just a general browsy/gamey/reading device. Much easier to cope with.

As the beta progressed last time, it also required special builds of iTunes as well didn't it? So caviet Emptor on your iTunes experience as well possibly...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
DeveloperGAF Protip: Don't waste a slot in his UDID pool unless you're ok w/ the device;

• Battery life sucking

Yeah, don't join if you don't want to restore your device every couple of weeks. :p

Worked at apple for two years. I'm not.
You missed this:

Yes, but Mountain Lion is OS Ten Point Eight, not OS Ten Point Nine.

1Ib7iGs.gif

Yeah, don't join if you don't want to restore your device every couple of weeks. :p
I've done the beta before so I'm familiar with that. It would actually be good for me to restore my phone because I recently got a new iMac and although my iPhone is backed up to this computer, it can't sync to it since it's still tied to my old dead iMac. So doing the beta would force me to finally link my iPhone to the new computer.

Top Bottom