• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Day of Reckoning - Gamespot review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/sports/wwedayofreckoning/review.html

"When it comes right down to it, WWE Day of Reckoning is easily Yuke's most successful effort to bring the action of the WWE to the GameCube. The story mode, though perhaps a bit too linear, is still a humongous improvement over last year's game, and the overall improved gameplay, scads of match types, and deep create-a-wrestler mode should be more than enough to keep any wrestling fan busy for at least another year. Does all of this mean that Day of Reckoning finally manages to completely shake off the "SmackDown! afterthought syndrome" of past GameCube wrestling games? Not quite, but Day of Reckoning is still a big step forward for WWE games on the Cube. If you're a wrestling fan with a GameCube, Day of Reckoning should definitely be on your purchase list."

DMczaf

920076_20040830_screen011.jpg

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Why is it so hard for devs to get tag matches right?

If you're beating down an opponent and you go for a pin or submission, though your opponent's partner will always run in and break it up, your partner never lifts a finger to try to stop this. In fact, there is no way to call in your partner during a match, so generally he or she just sits at your corner, waiting for a tag-in. Also, while you may frequently go for tags by nature, you don't need to. Most tag matches can easily be finished without ever having a tag-in, because your opponent will almost always wait an exceptionally long time to go for a tag. So all you have to do is hit a finisher (or two, just to be sure), shift your focus to the opposing corner, knock your opponent's partner off the ring, go back to the downed opponent and pin him, and nine times out of 10, you'll win. Again, tag matches are really the only matches that suffer from any AI issues, and the issues aren't horrible; but they do bring down the realism of tag-team bouts quite a bit.

DarienA said:
Why is it so hard for devs to get tag matches right?

Yeah, I try to avoid tag-matches whenever possible in pretty much every wrestling game. They end up being dull because there's always one or two petty annoyances....

Mr Gump

Banned
Im just going to wait for the superior wrestling game coming later this year for ps2.

I never thought the day would come that smackdown was the wrestling game of choice.

Memles

It's nice, you know.

All of these reviews keep saying "If you're a wrestling fan, this should be on your purchase list". This makes me feel like I should get it.

Then I tuned into RAW last night and couldn't give a shit about it, so I can't call myself much of a fan, and thus feel better on not purchasing it.

Talk to me at $50 Canadian or less.

you know I may not be a KOC: Green whore like ura nage was but I own KOC: Green, Virtual Pro Wrestling 2, and Fire Pro Z and while the sd games arnt the best ever they are pretty darn good even compared to those japanese games.

People should play HCTP then go back and play JBI and see just how much theyve really changed (because IMO the JBI -> HCTP leap was alot more gameplay changes for THE BETTER than the previous "hey lets add new matches" credo the ps1 sd games had.)

also seems to coincide with sanders keel being let go from thq (the head wwe game guy at the time).

Top Bottom