• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Fastlane 2016 |OT| Roundabout to Wrestlemania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jopie

Do people seriously not remember Cena being MASSIVELY over before the crowd went 50/50 on him?

His gimmick changed and then the boos started. In his rapper gimmick he was super over. I think bringing back elements of that would change the 50/50 now.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Reigns was also over (though not as over as Cena 2004-early 2005) before he got pushed to the moon, so what is your point?

Only as a part of a popular tag team. It wasn't that long of a singles run before people started booing, partly because it wasn't that long of a singles run before they made him win the royal rumble and put him in the main event of wrestlemania.

Cagey

Banned
On Roman being booed

On Ambrose being cheered
Ambrose represents the Underdog Fav in the meta narrative that plenty, including yourself, are wrapped up and emotionally invested in.

Given he's actually no good, it's demonstrating bad taste. Bryan and Punk had tremendous talent to carry the mantle. Ambrose isn't in the same league. He's Ziggler.

Despite having no interest in ever seeing another Cena match, I can at least believe that people like him

Reigns gets a similar sort of push but I don't understand why anyone would actually like him, besides the fact that they are "supposed to". He can't talk, his moves aren't anything special....he has a "look" and is tall.

Ambrose isn't doing anything dramatically different but he is markedly more interesting to watch and can talk pretty well. He's also fairly likeable.

I actually enjoyed the match until the boring ending. Overall a lame PPV, especially after what I'd consider a promising Rumble

cLOUDo

JFeU6be.gif

Roman represents WWE.

WWE is the biggest heel in the smark meta-narrative of Their Favs v WWE, the invented by fans and longest running angle in pro wrestling today.

Its simple.
It wasn't invented by the fans, the WWE is the one who started and continues to position itself as the biggest heel. The Daniel stuff certainly wasnt invented by the fans, WWE really had to be dragged kicking and screaming into pushing him.

Sephzilla

Ambrose represents the Underdog Fav in the meta narrative that plenty, including yourself, are wrapped up and emotionally invested in.

Given he's actually no good, it's demonstrating bad taste. Bryan and Punk had tremendous talent.
What about Brock getting more massive pops than either of them

Ithil

Given he's actually no good, it's demonstrating bad taste. Bryan and Punk had tremendous talent to carry the mantle. Ambrose isn't in the same league. He's Ziggler.

Don't project on me, son.

Oersted

Thing about Cena is, even when he got greeted by boos, he only needed one promo to get the crowd behind him.

Bonus him joining the crowd with dancing when they sung John Cena sucks over the intro. Hard to hate that.

orioto

Good Art™
I'm always a little surprised when i hear smarks cheer for Ambrose. I'm pretty sure Ambrose is in part over cause girls like him a lot..

Anyway yeah the ppv was incredibly empty for a road to WM.. I wonder if there has ever been such a terrible built to a mania...

And the injuries are not an excuse, when they do nothing with what they have left.

When you have nothing for your biggest mania ever.. Hell, you don't give Owens the IC belt. You have him assault taker for some weeks and they have a bloody match at mania that Taker wins after being literally destroyed by Owens. Everyone wins and you have a solid WM moment. You can also do the same with Lesnar.

If they have that Styles/Owens match, it'll be super solid but i fear they don't give them a story and it's just a showcase of two great wrestler in the ring. Since they seem to think, lately, that you don't need a story anymore to entertain people. Just have two good wrestlers in the ring and people will chant "this is awesome" before they started fighting.

All i wanted was

Austin (or Bryan) vs Lesnar
Taker vs Sting
Sheild triple threat
H vs Rock to retire the authority
and solid midcard.

Instead we push forward with forced push 2.0, Bryan retired, and injuries up the asshole.i'm still mind blown H booked himself as champion. Just so he can get fake credit main eventing a record crowd. Fuck i wish people would just get up and leave. The match would be 1000x more interesting if it wasn't for the title.

Kaiterra

Banned
I think the boos come from shitty writing trying to give him the Daniel Bryan storyline about conquering the odds. It just doesn't work.

Reigns looks like a bad ass motherfucker, so let him act like a bad ass motherfucker. The only times he's gotten cheers was when he was a bad ass motherfucker.

It's simple, right?

I'm one of the die hard fans of WWE that watches it no matter what but, fuck it, I'm done. I'll watch Wrestlemania only if they give me something good on the card like AJ vs Owens or if they collect the Dragon Balls and revive Eddie Guerrero or something.

I hope I could watch NXT and TakeOver on another place than the Network (no Hulu where I live), so I can cancel the shit.

Jerm411

I'm still trying to figure out what the point of Reigns winning the title on a random RAW only to lose it in the RR but then get a match somehow that lands him in the main event and presumably go over and regain it at Mania....

Yeah nevermind...such a clusterfuck of stupidity...

Kaiterra

Banned

You people were saying the same shit about Bryan and Punk though so ???

I think that it's not just the people you're projecting on who are wrapped up in a meta narrative.

Cagey

Banned
What about Brock getting more massive pops than either of them
Fair point. I'll amend the prior statement to be the crowd's opinion re: Ambrose is bad and limit it to just Ambrose.

AJ Styles is the guy on the roster deserving of the applause Ambrose gets. And he's getting there.

Verendus

Banned
That was a pretty bad PPV overall coming off two good ones, but the main event was great. Ambrose hitting Reigns with the chair was unexpected since it seemed a little extreme considering how they're always billed as brothers, but hopefully this just means he's going to turn on him after Wrasslin'Mania.

Speaking of which, I have no idea what's going on with Barack. He has no one interesting to face, and it's crazy since he's been made to look so dominant for so long now. I still think it's a bad move to have not done Reigns vs. Barack for the title, but if they can get Cena vs. Undertaker and Ambrose vs. Barack in some kind of no disqualification match, then I'd be pretty happy with the top of the card.

That's as solid as the past few Wrasslin'Manias so I can't complain. The injuries are the worst thing. If Orton, Rollins, Cena, and Sting were all healthy, this could've been a great one because there's enough potential there finally.

Maybe next year though.

His gimmick changed and then the boos started. In his rapper gimmick he was super over. I think bringing back elements of that would change the 50/50 now.
People were getting lukewarm on him when he had the rapper gimmick. It's noticeable in early 2005 at certain points, and by mid-2005, the crowd ends up booing him. He didn't change his character until sometime in 2006.

Farsi

I'm one of the die hard fans of WWE that watches it no matter what but, fuck it, I'm done. I'll watch Wrestlemania only if they give me something good on the card like AJ vs Owens or if they collect the Dragon Balls and revive Eddie Guerrero or something.

giphy.gif

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'll only half agree on Dean being overrated.

In a vacuum where there's no Roman Reigns to be saved from, skyrocketing Dean to wrestlemania main event would look bad too, but I still wouldn't discount his ability to be entertaining on the microphone, and sell a really gruelling match. I'd put him slightly above Ziggler, and well below Punk and Bryan.

He's still a large step up from Reigns, unless you only care about looks.

tinfoil hat me feels like that was the entire purpose behind Roman's win, Mr. H's wants dem massive wrestlemania pops (that he's never really gotten before)

The #politicalhit continues. Dylan Hales was right.

Also, RAW is in Pittsburgh, Philly, and Brooklyn in the weeks leading up to WM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom