• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE forces wrestlers to work live RAW broadcasts on Christmas and New Years Day

From WWE.com:

Prepare to celebrate the holidays with WWE this year as Raw broadcasts LIVE on Christmas night, Dec. 25, and New Year’s Day, Jan. 1.

This marks the first time that WWE will present Monday night’s hottest show live on the Christmas and New Year’s holidays. These unprecedented broadcasts aim to best serve you, the WWE Universe, during the holiday season. Additionally, SmackDown will be broadcast live on Dec. 26 and Jan. 2.

Deck the halls and ring in the New Year with Monday Night Raw, live on Dec. 25 and Jan. 1 on USA Network.
I think this is ridiculous and highly unfair to wrestlers and their families. :(

1. Yes, Christmas and Thanksgiving shows used to be a wrestling staple. But the thing is, it's not 1983 anymore.

2. Yes, NFL, NBA, etc. run games on Christmas too. That doesn't make it right IMO.

3. Ratings are generally lower for these WWE "holiday" episodes (which are usually pre-taped if they fall on the day) because people are enjoying the festivities instead of watching rasslin'.

Edit - 4. WWE wrestlers already work 300+ days a year away from their families. That is one of the reasons why working Christmas/New Years is such a big issue. It's not just that they're working on those holidays - it's that and everything else. Yes, they signed up for it, chose the life, etc. But I'm sure they were all blindsided by this nonetheless. WWE wrestlers haven't worked live shows on major holidays since the late '80s or early '90s, I believe.

And the backlash has already begun:

Reby Hardy‏Verified account @RebyHardy

Christmas is ruined 😔😢

(She's Matt Hardy's wife.)

Update: Looks like it's a USA Network decision, not necessarily WWE.

From Jeff Hardy's wife:

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I've worked Christmas and New Year's Day the last five years, so it's hard for me to fully sympathize. Then again I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't celebrate holidays anyway, so whatever.

ngff02

When I first read this I assumed it was optional and they got holiday pay.

Hopefully that is the case if they decide to do this.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Lots of people have to work on Christmas and New Years.

People work on holidays. Its a thing,

I've worked Christmas and New Year's Day the last five years, so it's hard for me to fully sympathize. Then again I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't celebrate holidays anyway, so whatever.

I'm working New Years day and i'm getting a lot less than these guys.
Boo fucking hoo.
Radical thought: none of that shit is ok either?

GodofWine

I can't see people watching wwe on Christmas but if they see it as an opportunity then so be it.

NBA and NFL have games this year. Which kinda makes WWE redundant at that point.

Not to mention that these guys spend 300 days of the year on the road as it is.

I work Christmas Day too, but I'm not away from my family six days out of the week either.

Yikes at some of these replies though.

They sign up to work Mondays. That's arguably the biggest part of their job. New Years and Christmas fall on Mondays this year. Just like with retail, there are plenty of shitty things about their job and the way they are treated. Having to work a holiday falls pretty low on that list for me.

The problems with the WWE work schedule are so far beyond not having Christmas and New Years eve off. Plenty of 9-5 people work those days. Who cares in the grand scheme of things that are wrong with the WWE.

lolmark

Ooof. The responses excusing the decision is disgraceful. Wrestlers are on a never ending US tour and they aren't just working televised events.

TaterTots

Banned
Not to mention that these guys spend 300 days of the year on the road as it is.

I work Christmas Day too, but I'm not away from my family six days out of the week either.

Yikes at some of these replies though.

No one forced them to choose this path. They chose it on their own. They chose to be away from loved ones for extended periods. Believe it or not, we have choices. Especially, if they're making that kind of money compared to most of us.

What happens when you want to grab something from 7-11, have an internet problem, want to eat out, see a movie, or any number of other things on Christmas or New Year's? No bars should be open NYE?

What you're saying is untenable.

What does the OP mean by "it's not 1983 anymore"? What has changed?

Ooof. The responses excusing the decision is disgraceful. Wrestlers are on a never ending US tour and they aren't just working televised events.

But wouldn't you say a better perspective would be to address the actual issue of wrestlers working a hellish schedule year around that doesn't allow their body and mind the time to recover? Getting up in arms about them not getting Christmas and New Years off seems like an artificial way to feel better and ignore the real problem. Again, plenty of working stiffs work on those days.

Syder

Who is going to watch RAW on Christmas Day?

Who is going to go to an arena to watch RAW on Christmas Day?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I have a few friends who are nurses and 2 who are physicians. There's not much you can say to argue against medical professionals needing to work holidays. Some jobs just require people to work holidays and it's alright. Their world isn't ending because of this, they just schedule around it. Also, for those who watch TV shows, stream music, or play video games, remember there are employees working holidays for you to ensure you're having a great time.

Velcro Fly

Heaven forbid RAW air taped on Christmas Day.

WWE in December is normally a wasteland of shit anyway. They aren't going to waste anything good before the Royal Rumble.

No one forced them to choose this path. They chose it on their own. They chose to be away from loved ones for extended periods. Believe it or not, we have choices. Especially, if they're making that kind of money compared to most of us.
If they've taped holiday shows before so that they didn't have to work on Christmas or New Year's, I can understand their reaction.

People keep bringing up other sports and entertainment, but WWE doesn't really have an off-season. It's already its own beast as far as slavish devotion goes, so I can see why they'd begrudge being forced to work on days they had been previously promised could be spent with their families.

And then there's the production assistants, lighting, arena staff, etc. that have to work too.

I'm not saying WWE is in the wrong necessarily. Just that it's a shitty scenario.

And really, how many fans are going to want to spend their New Year's at a dingy arena? I guess we'll find out.

Haines

Banned
You guys put far too much stock into what day people tell you that you should be celebrating or whatever.

Everyday is one to be enjoyed, not just the ones they tell you.

Work is a means to enjoying life

But wouldn't you say a better perspective would be to address the actual issue of wrestlers working a hellish schedule year around that doesn't allow their body and mind the time to recover? Getting up in arms about them not getting Christmas and New Years off seems like an artificial way to feel better and ignore the real problem.
Of course their insane schedule year-round is one of the biggest reasons why this is an issue! I'm not sure why you seem to think you're the only one making that connection.

Anth0ny

Heaven forbid RAW air taped on Christmas Day.

WWE in December is normally a wasteland of shit anyway. They aren't going to waste anything good before the Royal Rumble.

Yeah it's weird that they've decided that now of all times they need to go live on Christmas and New Years.

The rating is going to be god awful, so why even bother? NBA will eat them up and spit them out.

Of course their insane schedule year-round is one of the biggest reasons why this is an issue! I'm not sure why you seem to think you're the only one making that connection.

Because you made a new thread that doesn't seem to have a proper perspective of things. So they have to work Christmas and New Years. So what?

lolmark

But wouldn't you say a better perspective would be to address the actual issue of wrestlers working a hellish schedule year around that doesn't allow their body and mind the time to recover? Getting up in arms about them not getting Christmas and New Years off seems like an artificial way to feel better and ignore the real problem. Again, plenty of working stiffs work on those days.
I don't think that anybody thinks that Christmas time off would be considered healing time.If you want to talk about recovery, that's great and fine. I believe that WWE should have an off-season after Wrestlemania, but that's a separate discussion.

I'm sorry, I can't empathise with them working on holidays, since I know a lot of people who do, including me.

Now working 300 days a year? That I can. The wrestlers being overworked is something worth talking about.

A lot of entertainers work on holidays. This isn't new.

Exactly.

And for wrestlers in particular, some of their biggest events were / are held on holidays for the largest audience and biggest pay days. Every wrestler knows this.

Heck, high schools have their big games on Thanksgiving, but professionals can't do holidays?

I know wrestlers grind, but working holidays is standard. Just have your holiday gathering / celebration on another day like other people that have to work holidays do.

People acting like kids don't get tickets to the show / game as presents.

We used to get tickets to the circus or Disney On Ice for Christmas Day. C'mon...

Top Bottom