• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE forces wrestlers to work live RAW broadcasts on Christmas and New Years Day

Haunted

Not sure if it's been answered, I didn't see any numbers while skimming - what do WWE performers usually make for a show like this?

I don't get people being upset that others are excusing the decision. When you're working a dream job like these wrestlers are, stuff like this is one of the sacrifices you have to make. First responders don't get Christmas off every year. It comes with the territory. It's not like this is an every year thing, either. It's one year and apparently the first time it has happened in quite a while? Yeah, hard for me to personally feel sad for them.

Meanwhile, people are making peanuts in a retail job they hate on Thanksgiving day. I feel worse for them. At least a lot of people will get some joy on the holidays by watching these two shows. Assuming they aren't terrible.

The difference is people who work retail get to go home at the end of the day.

The American attitude of "if I have to do it so does everyone else" instead of "maybe this is wrong and we should try and do something about it"...

Think that is a major issue tbh.

samar11

Fuck that shit, lucky I dont live over there. We get 2 weeks paid leave during the Xmas break here in Australia. (office is shut)

kiguel182

Given how many days of the year these people are away from home already this is ridiculous. They certainly deserve some breaks.

Couleurs

Its sad that people would rather think "If I have to work holidays because I have a shit job, everyone else should have to also", when it's the type of crab mentality that is helping workers rights race to the bottom.

Unless you work an essential job where society would collapse or people would die if it wasn't performed, no one should have to work major holidays.

No one will be watching so I don't know why they don't just do a tossed off taped show like normal for holidays.

I wonder what the crowd will be like though.

hbkdx12

Its sad that people would rather think "If I have to work holidays because I have a shit job, everyone else should have to also", when it's the type of crab mentality that is helping workers rights race to the bottom.

Unless you work an essential job where society would collapse or people would die if it wasn't performed, no one should have to work major holidays.

Can't achieve the American dream if your not willing to endure a crappy quality of life in the process. #capitalism. #bootstraps. #pullem

diunxx

Lol I have to work holidays sometimes for shit money, have a hard time feeling sorry for thise dudes.

TheContact

OP fails to understand how entertainment works. They signed up for this. I don't know who would want to watch wrestling anyway besides preteen boys; it's their job to entertain and I assume those days are big on ratings.

Syder

I feel like people are missing the point of this...

These are people that spend 90+% of the year on the road going through gruelling schedules to do what they love, no health insurance, no unions, and the Christmas period is the only time they can actually spend at home with their families.

and regardless of all that, this is a shitty business decision. Who wants to watch RAW on Christmas Day? Who wants to go to an arena to watch RAW on Christmas Day?

shaowebb

I work in a powerplant and 24/7, 365 we keep the lights on which means someone's entire crew is there. If its a holiday we've all worked it before and we'll be working it again. I doubt anyone would want us to do otherwise. We know folks depend on us and accept its part of the gig. If you take a job you dont go in not knowing stuff like this.

s_mirage

If the wrestlers showed some backbone and actually formed a union instead of just meekly following whatever WWE is selling them independently, then perhaps I'd feel bad. But they brought this upon themselves.

They've been swallowing whatever WWE has wanted for decades now. They're independent contractors, they have to pay and organise their own travel, their own accommodations, their own health care. And work dreadful schedules for little pay, unless you're one of the ten or so guys that got lucky. They've been on their knees for years and they'll continue to be for as long as they refuse to actually stand up to their bosses.

At which point the ringleaders will be instantly fired and everyone else will back down out of fear. How do they stand up to their bosses when they have no job security? There's no other organization of similar size to move to, the independent circuit or somewhere like New Japan might be an option for some of them but the punishing schedule would likely still remain. Whether any organization would be interested in known rabble rousers could be a question too.

The only way a union would happen is if all of the top stars pushed for it. They're not going to though; people like Cena and Lesnar are on multi-million dollar contracts, work less punishing schedules, and are already set for life. They could quit tomorrow and be fine, they don't need to keep working. Johnny Midcarder on the other hand would hugely benefit from a union, but has no leverage and could be replaced easily.

Yes, they need a union, but it's not lack of backbone that prevents the creation of one, it's wrestlers wanting to avoid being blackballed and to continue paying their bills.

EDIT: If anything needs to happen, unionisation is less important than this "independent contractor" bullshit being made illegal. IMO, someone who is forced to work a fixed schedule, while being forbidden from working for any other organization, is an employee, not an independent contractor.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It being right is irrelevant. If your bosses boss tells your boss you have to work Christmas, you're working Christmas.

Jacknapes

WWE wrestlers work 300+ days a year as it is, so this is kind of a bum deal. However, the NBA and NFL have games on these days, so it's not out of the ordinary for live sporting events to be on. From what it seems, it seems to be a USA decision which is crap to be honest. Usually, the WWE tape shows for this week to give the talent a break over the festive period.

Hopefully something can be sorted and an agreement made between the WWE and USA.

PillarEN

Why why why does the NBA play on Xmas? I get the NFL is day specific.

The NHL is off on Xmas eve and Xmas day. No reason why the NBA can't be too.

DeathyBoy

Banned
WWE wrestlers work 300+ days a year as it is, so this is kind of a bum deal. However, the NBA and NFL have games on these days, so it's not out of the ordinary for live sporting events to be on. From what it seems, it seems to be a USA decision which is crap to be honest. Usually, the WWE tape shows for this week to give the talent a break over the festive period.

Hopefully something can be sorted and an agreement made between the WWE and USA.

Nah. I need a 205 Live Christmas Special. Best show on tv on tv on tv they're 205 maggle certified G05 how you doing gotta be live live live what a manoeuvre

Thethethethethethethekenbrianrick

I feel like people are missing the point of this...

These are people that spend 90+% of the year on the road going through gruelling schedules to do what they love, no health insurance, no unions, and the Christmas period is the only time they can actually spend at home with their families.

and regardless of all that, this is a shitty business decision. Who wants to watch RAW on Christmas Day? Who wants to go to an arena to watch RAW on Christmas Day?

Children, alcoholics, angry loners. The unemployable.

There's a huge market for programming on XMas day, when most people have the day off and are relaxing with family. Live sports are huge draws, moreso than any recorded programming.

If it's a huge concern, don't become a professional basketball player.

shaneo632

It's pretty weird they won't just tape the shows a few days in advance. It's not like anyone expects actual storyline stuff to happen during that week.

Plus, are people really going to watch WWE on these days? I'll most likely be drunk off my ass.

RVD spoke about this a few years ago when Vince wanted to force wrestlers to do Tribute to the Troops and he hadn't been home in months. He simply told Vince no, but most of the wrestlers are too afraid to lose their spot, especially considering how petty WWE can be about shit like this.

Considering WWE wrestlers are independent contractors rather than employees I wonder if that makes it easier to just say no.

EDIT: Weird how many are defending it in here.

NBA on XMas is huge ratings and ticket gates. Its all about the $$$. Still, as a fan NBA on Christmas is always awesome

Interesting that NHL doesn't do Xmas games. Ratings wouldn't be there maybe?

I'm amazed anyone cares about this. I'm sure they're compensated handsomely for it and get to spend the rest of the year travelling the world and being worshiped by fans. And you know, not everyone celebrates Christmas, the World doesn't come to a stop.

fhqwhgads

ITT GAF lacks basic empathy because people earn more money than them. Apparently having money means you're always happy and have no problems at all. Nice to see some of you think like 12 year olds.

OP fails to understand how entertainment works. They signed up for this. I don't know who would want to watch wrestling anyway besides preteen boys; it's their job to entertain and I assume those days are big on ratings.

Yet you are entertained by pro crime, pro violence related shows.

Murkas

Who wants to go to an arena to watch RAW on Christmas Day?[/B]

Have you worked retail? If shops were open on Christmas Day, there would 100% be customers coming in.

If they're doing a show for Christmas Day then they should honestly make it a Christmas special. Faces and heels gathering around singing carols, Christmas skits and fables with parts played by the wrestlers. The whole shebang.

ReiGun

SH3QsP4u.jpg

FyreWulff

Do taped shows do as well ratings wise?

there's no actual difference between taped and live for ratings for WWE anymore. USA wants holiday live shows for some fucking reason though.

hell technically Vince doesn't even want Raw to be 3 hours, but USA insists on it for their contract.

Zemm

I don't see the point. The viewing figures are going to be trash, just tape the shows and give the wrestlers a holiday. The wrestlers aren't going to give a shit on those two days either. A waste of everyones time.

Have you worked retail? If shops were open on Christmas Day, there would 100% be customers coming in.

Yep. Hell, typically my family would go see a movie on christmas because it was one of the few things that was open and it was an excuse to get out of the house for a little while.

Also, while I'm not condoning the action, I will note that my family growing up was fine, and my dad always worked Christmas and Thanksgiving. Yeah, it's the days everyone else's folks have a big family day, but when you work for one of the big networks' news arms, the show must go on. My dad edited news shows, so...that still had to happen regardless of whether or not it was a holiday.

PillarEN

NBA on XMas is huge ratings and ticket gates. Its all about the $$$. Still, as a fan NBA on Christmas is always awesome

Interesting that NHL doesn't do Xmas games. Ratings wouldn't be there maybe?

The NHL doesn't really get sweet tv ratings. It's much more local than national.

Top Bottom