• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

They should just go full nostalgia and put commercials for wrestling buddies, promos for ppvs, and etc.

I'm kinda tired of seeing the same out the vault videos like warrior and andre the giant confrontation.

They do add in commercials. I have seen lots of action figure and video game commercials on RAW. Seen Super Wrestlemania and WWF Royal Rumble (the one with Mr. Perfect)

Such nostalgia feels.

Yoko can go at 505lbs. When he hit 600+ you can see it was hard for him to move.

Was Fatu both Kwang and a Headshrinker at the same time? I see promos of him while hes still a Headshrinker. I didn't know that the Kwang character lasted that long....actually I just got confused with The Sultan and Kwang. I thought Kwang lasted till 96 when he wrestled The Rock but that was The Sultan

Rapstah

You know what they could totally do? Have fake WWE ads in the ads breaks of shows that originally had ad breaks. They already have to fill the last 15 minutes with mini-documentaries because so much time is left over. People could always just watch the in demand versions if they didn't want the ads. Easy way out.

The 2000 "don't try this at home" video is the polar opposite of today's one. While today's one is slow clips of people posing and then slow clips of people actually mostly getting injured (or pretending to get injured), the 2000 one is clips of people doing high-flying moves and battle royals and chokeslams. That probably led people to try shit at home.

RP912

Banned
They do add in commercials. I have seen lots of action figure and video game commercials on RAW. Seen Super Wrestlemania and WWF Royal Rumble (the one with Mr. Perfect)

Such nostalgia feels.

Yoko can go at 505lbs. When he hit 600+ you can see it was hard for him to move.

Was Fatu both Kwang and a Headshrinker at the same time? I see promos of him while hes still a Headshrinker. I didn't know that the Kwang character lasted that long....actually I just got confused with The Sultan and Kwang. I thought Kwang lasted till 96 when he wrestled The Rock but that was The Sultan

Oh yeah I do see some commercials during raw especially royal rumble 1993 which was perfect :p.

Kwang was Savio Vega which thankfully that gimmick died quickly. The Sultan was Fatu who eventually became Rikishi in a few years.

strobogo

Banned

Such nostalgia feels.

Kwang: Savio Vega January 1994-May 1995
The Sultan: Fatu Mid/Late 1996-Early 1998

Today's update is that piece of shit Slam City.
Original
Slam City
Battle for the Streets - 2014/05/11
The Finisher - 2014/05/11
Surround Pound and Stadium Pt 2 - 2014/05/11
Sundae in the Park With Punk - 2014/05/11

I don't even mind Slam City to be honest. I bet kids love it. Did they get the rights to Rock'n'Roll Wrestling?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
In Ring
Raw Backstage Pass
Backstage Pass to Raw #1094 - 2014/05/12

Re watched those RAWs where Hogan makes his return in the New Generation era. Hogan is so out of place in the era of Tatanka's, Razor Ramones, HBK's etc. He really didn't fit in. The roster made some pretty drastic changes since he left at WM8.

Speaking of Wrestlemania 8, what the hell happened to Sid? He had the match with Hogan which led to a DQ finish, and about to have a program with Warrior than is nowhere to be seen until 1995. What was his deal? I barley remember him before Summerslam 91 - WM8. All I remember is being a referee than eliminating Hogan at the RR starting their feud. Than all of a sudden there he is years later as Sycho Sid. Such a strange run he had

strobogo

Banned
Re watched those RAWs where Hogan makes his return in the New Generation era. Hogan is so out of place in the era of Tatanka's, Razor Ramones, HBK's etc. He really didn't fit in. The roster made some pretty drastic changes since he left at WM8.

Speaking of Wrestlemania 8, what the hell happened to Sid? He had the match with Hogan which led to a DQ finish, and about to have a program with Warrior than is nowhere to be seen until 1995. What was his deal? I barley remember him before Summerslam 91 - WM8. All I remember is being a referee than eliminating Hogan at the RR starting their feud. Than all of a sudden there he is years later as Sycho Sid. Such a strange run he had

He failed a drug test before WM8, but they let him work it and the European tour following it. When it came time for him to serve his suspension, he quit. Then he went to play softball for a while before jumping back to WCW, only to get fired after the scissor fight with Arn Anderson a few months later. He went back to softball and was working in the USWA until he came back to the WWF in 1995.

RP912

Banned
Been on a Clash of the Champions kick lately.

I tried to watch December to Dismember yesterday and surprised that I didn't go blind. What a stinker of a ppv :/

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Been on a Clash of the Champions kick lately.

I tried to watch December to Dismember yesterday and surprised that I didn't go blind. What a stinker of a ppv :/

CotCs are great...most of them at least

strobogo

Banned
December to Dismember should have been a 2 hour TV special. It was a terrible idea to do a PPV with such a small roster, and then the idea to put 6 of the top guys in one match was an even dumber idea. Other bad ideas: running the show in an area where ECW wasn't popular, taking Sabu off the card last second, not having Sandman on the card, putting Tommy Dreamer in a random squash with Khali, having Punk eliminated first and quickly from the EC.

It should have been a Clash styled 2 hour special. I'm sure SYFY would have been stoked to have an event to promote, and they probably could have made more money on ads and pop a decent rating for the first EC on TV.

Striker

Final two should've been RVD and CM Punk but Vince had the boner for Lashley and Big Shoe. Hardcore Holly and Test fit in pretty decently I thought. Test's diving elbow from the pod was great.

RP912

Banned
December to Dismember should have been a 2 hour TV special. It was a terrible idea to do a PPV with such a small roster, and then the idea to put 6 of the top guys in one match was an even dumber idea. Other bad ideas: running the show in an area where ECW wasn't popular, taking Sabu off the card last second, not having Sandman on the card, putting Tommy Dreamer in a random squash with Khali, having Punk eliminated first and quickly from the EC.

It should have been a Clash styled 2 hour special. I'm sure SYFY would have been stoked to have an event to promote, and they probably could have made more money on ads and pop a decent rating for the first EC on TV.

The whole ppv was doomed on arrival. They tried to shove lashley down peoples throats, the matches were lukewarm with the exception of the hardys match, and the chamber match was so bad its not even funny. They should have went with heyman's original plans for the ppv to atleast save face.

RP912

Banned
Final two should've been RVD and CM Punk but Vince had the boner for Lashley and Big Shoe. Hardcore Holly and Test fit in pretty decently I thought. Test's diving elbow from the pod was great.

That would have been awesome. I know rvd and sabu were in the doghouse for the weed incident during the time. They could have made it punk/lashley as the final two. Test and holly were ok during the chamber, but sabu would have made things interesting.

Hasney

Since Lashley was going to win no matter what he said, Heymans initial idea was to have Punk and Show start and have CM Punk choke him out before anyone else even got in and thus create a new star. Big Show was on board, especially since he was going away for a bit, but Vince nixed that too.

Rapstah

2:01:54 into Royal Rumble 2000, Jerry Lawler says the "I think I just saw a tooth fly out" that Yuke's has sampled for who knows how many SvR and WWE games now.

I just recognised the clip.

:(

I never understood Sid. Dude main evented TWO Wrestlemanias and a Starrcade. He was clearly a headcase who nobody could tolerate that couldn't ever work at one promotion very long but he kept getting huge opportunities. There's also the fact that he couldn't wrestle. I mean I know he looked like a monster but you'd think that would only get him so far. Not in pro wrestling I guess.

strobogo

Banned
I never understood Sid. Dude main evented TWO Wrestlemanias and a Starrcade. He was clearly a headcase who nobody could tolerate that couldn't ever work at one promotion very long but he kept getting huge opportunities. There's also the fact that he couldn't wrestle. I mean I know he looked like a monster but you'd think that would only get him so far. Not in pro wrestling I guess.

He wasn't a head case. His gimmick was that he was a headcase. Almost everyone that ever worked with him said he was a sweet and kind man. Besides the one incident with Arn (which granted, was pretty huge) and one with Brian Pillman, no one had problems with him.

If you want to know why he kept getting huge opportunities, you can find out by watching WCW PPVs from 1988-1990 when Sid was MONSTER over even as a guy in a mid card tag team with no push. As soon as he debuted, fans got super into him even though he was a heel and not good in the ring. Because he had the look, the charisma, and the energy. And he had dope squash matches. Sid was big, had a great look, had a great energy, and was over even when he wasn't good. That's why he kept getting big opportunities.

Carnby

He wasn't a head case. His gimmick was that he was a headcase. Almost everyone that ever worked with him said he was a sweet and kind man. Besides the one incident with Arn (which granted, was pretty huge) and one with Brian Pillman, no one had problems with him.

If you want to know why he kept getting huge opportunities, you can find out by watching WCW PPVs from 1988-1990 when Sid was MONSTER over even as a guy in a mid card tag team with no push. As soon as he debuted, fans got super into him even though he was a heel and not good in the ring. Because he had the look, the charisma, and the energy. And he had dope squash matches. Sid was big, had a great look, had a great energy, and was over even when he wasn't good. That's why he kept getting big opportunities.

It's true. I marked out big time when he beat Shawn for the WWF Championship at Survivor Series '96.

Ok, maybe he wasn't a headcase (although I agree that the fact he tried to murder arn anderson with a pair of scissors is a mighty big thing to overlook) but he at the very least seemed kind of flaky. Didn't he used to no show wrestling events so that he could play softball? He still was never in any promotion for very long. Maybe he just demanded a ton of money everywhere he went IDK.

You're right about the squash matches. My favorite Sid was ECW Sid when he would come out once a month and murder someone while the crowd went nuts.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Vault
Legends Of Wrestling
Ric Flair and Sgt. Slaughter - 2007/01/31
In Ring
Raw Replays
Episode 64 - 1994/05/23

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
In Ring
Raw Replays
Episode 65 - 1994/05/30
Episode 66 - 1994/06/06

2:01:54 into Royal Rumble 2000, Jerry Lawler says the "I think I just saw a tooth fly out" that Yuke's has sampled for who knows how many SvR and WWE games now.

I just recognised the clip.

:(

Pretty sure the original clip is from WWF Wrestlemania The Arcade Game

Ok, maybe he wasn't a headcase (although I agree that the fact he tried to murder arn anderson with a pair of scissors is a mighty big thing to overlook) but he at the very least seemed kind of flaky. Didn't he used to no show wrestling events so that he could play softball? He still was never in any promotion for very long. Maybe he just demanded a ton of money everywhere he went IDK.

You're right about the squash matches. My favorite Sid was ECW Sid when he would come out once a month and murder someone while the crowd went nuts.

LOL I loved Sids ECW run. Basically just beat the fuk out of everyone. I think I remember him kicking both the Dudley's ass.

strobogo

Banned
LOL I loved Sids ECW run. Basically just beat the fuk out of everyone. I think I remember him kicking both the Dudley's ass.

My favorite part about Sid's ECW run is that these are the same fans that always shit on WWE/WCW and ESPECIALLY big stiffs like Sid, yet they usually marked out for him more than anyone else on the shows.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
ehh:

In Ring
Uncategorized
Pre-Show to SmackDown #769 - 2014/05/16
Vault
Clash Of The Champions
CHANGED - Clash Of The Champions V - 1989/02/14

dream

My favorite part about Sid's ECW run is that these are the same fans that always shit on WWE/WCW and ESPECIALLY big stiffs like Sid, yet they usually marked out for him more than anyone else on the shows.

Philly fans are quite possibly the biggest posers in the world, though. Remember when TNA Wrestling ran Stinger vs. Hulk in Philly and the entire hardcore crowd marked out for Hulk hulking up?

strobogo

Banned
Philly fans are quite possibly the biggest posers in the world, though. Remember when TNA Wrestling ran Stinger vs. Hulk in Philly and the entire hardcore crowd marked out for Hulk hulking up?

It wasn't just the Philly fans, but the whole fan base wherever they ran. They'd always mark out for whatever WWF/WCW guy was floating through for a weekend.

Edgeward

At this point content isn't an issue for me, it's the interface and features still missing. Oh and Monday Night Wars still hasn't shown up. What the flying fuck

At this point content isn't an issue for me, it's the interface and features still missing. Oh and Monday Night Wars still hasn't shown up. What the flying fuck

They really need to bring the player up to youtube standard - going forwards or backwards in a video that doesn't have bookmarks is a total pain in the ass. Content is king for me, however - I can't see myself resubscribing when the stuff I'm most interested in (the old school content) is mostly treated as an afterthought.

okayfrog

Banned

I wouldn't be surprised if they held off on Monday Night Wars until August/September when the subscriptions ran out.

I'm just forever disappointed that there isn't any New Jack at all. I understand that they don't want to pay for his theme, but fuck, man, if the WWE Network was as I wish it would be, it would be my go-to source for New Jack material (from his ECW days). I remember they had one match up, but that had some crappy theme dubbed in, and now it looks like it's removed. So damn annoying looking all over the internet now for New Jack footage as well as WWE's removed a decent amount from YouTube.

strobogo

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if they held off on Monday Night Wars until August/September when the subscriptions ran out.

I'm just forever disappointed that there isn't any New Jack at all. I understand that they don't want to pay for his theme, but fuck, man, if the WWE Network was as I wish it would be, it would be my go-to source for New Jack material (from his ECW days). I remember they had one match up, but that had some crappy theme dubbed in, and now it looks like it's removed. So damn annoying looking all over the internet now for New Jack footage as well as WWE's removed a decent amount from YouTube.

What are you talking about? New Jack isn't edited out of anything. He's on every ECW PPV he was on. His theme is edited, but he isn't edited off things. People have been saying that from the start, but I haven't seen a single ECW PPV he was edited out of. I kind of like the edited theme. But I'd really like to know what Network people are watching that New Jack is completely edited off of, because I'm not watching the same one.

bjork

He certainly was. He was the 32X EXCLUSIVE that made the game worth buying again if you already had it on Genesis.

Oh how I tried to use that as a bargaining thing to get a 32X and Raw for it. Didn't work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aERgmd1vbc

Probably for the best. Also, why is that photo of 123 kid in the game intro, reversed?

I like the video tape they put out for this where the stars explained their moves. Can't find them atm, though.

okayfrog

Banned
What are you talking about? New Jack isn't edited out of anything. He's on every ECW PPV he was on. His theme is edited, but he isn't edited off things. People have been saying that from the start, but I haven't seen a single ECW PPV he was edited out of. I kind of like the edited theme. But I'd really like to know what Network people are watching that New Jack is completely edited off of, because I'm not watching the same one.

Really? 'cause when I search his name, nothing comes up. Just turned to one of the PPVs he was on and yeah, you're right, he's there. Too bad the match is unwatchable without "Natural Born Killaz". Yes, I watch New Jack matches for the music.

strobogo

Banned
Really? 'cause when I search his name, nothing comes up. Just turned to one of the PPVs he was on and yeah, you're right, he's there. Too bad the match is unwatchable without "Natural Born Killaz". Yes, I watch New Jack matches for the music.

Chris Benoit doesn't show up on searches, but he's not edited out of anything. The search is still wonky in general though.

RP912

Banned
I never use search for the network. If I'm looking for a match, I just go to the ppv and search through the timeline. It saves me the grief of dealing with that wacky search engine.

Top Bottom