• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X Rebirth |OT| Back In The Womb With You

rtz.jpg

System Requirements // Official Site // Video Channel // Steam Page // Screenshots // Concept Art // Rebirth Mods Forum // PC Gamer Coverage // Rock Paper Shotgun Coverage // SpaceSector Coverage //

spiritfox

Subbing. Played a lot of X3:TC but I don't know if I have the time for this. Maybe I'll get it when it's cheaper.

mandiller

I've got this pre-ordered on Steam but forgot this was out in a week. Awesome! I hope it fills my space sim needs until Star Citizen eventually comes out.

Dennis

Banned
I fear crushing disappointment.

This will either turn to be the best thing since sliced bread - or it will be broken.

mandiller

The Steam page says 'Full Controller Support'. Yes! That early video of how they mapped the controls to a 360 controller looked great.

Darklord

Banned
I fear crushing disappointment.

This will either turn to be the best thing since sliced bread - or it will be broken.

I still hate that you can't fly any other ships in it now. One ship and it's not exactly a Normandy or Millennium Falcon.
content_x_rebirth_quote.gif

Diman

Can't wait to play this game with a controller on the couch with my big ass tv :)

Make sure to watch the official youtube videos. Egosoft started from scratch again in X Rebirth. I'm really looking forward to X Rebirth.

Perkel

Banned
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES.gif

6 DAYS PEOPLE !

Love |OT| so minimal.

Can't wait to became emperor of universe and to start that with my trading ship.

Perkel

Banned
What? There's only one pilotable ship in the game? You can't buy any others?

You can like in every X game to buy everything.

Change is that you won't be able to pilot rest of ships yourself. You have one up-gradable ship + drones. You will hire NPCs traders soldiers and admirals to fly those ships for you.

They essentially did what most of people playing X series everntually do. Buy fast m3 with jump drive and fly that 24/7.

I hope though in next game or expansion they will allow to fly any ship.

Man, this looks reaally interesting, didn't buy a PC game in ages, but I want this. :eek:

Can someone explain me the concept? OP has no information. ^^

I love me some space games, so this will be an insta-buy.

Looks HOT!

Maybe this game will reduce the sting of likely not being able to get a PS4 at launch because I am a dumbass and did not pre-order lol.

oneils

I still hate that you can't fly any other ships in it now. One ship and it's not exactly a Normandy or Millennium Falcon.
content_x_rebirth_quote.gif

Edit: perkel answered my question.

Am I reading this right? You can only take the controls of this one ship? The others you can only command?

Man, this looks reaally interesting, didn't buy a PC game in ages, but I want this. :eek:

Its an economic sandbox, basically. You are a dude in a spaceship and you can engage in trade, become a pirate or mercenary, do jobs for money, align with a faction, etc. You can mine asteroids, buy factories that produce goods. You could build and command a fleet of capital ships. Its very open to what you want to do. There's no specific goal and no specific endgame (shy of maybe owning everything and killing off everyone else).

Its an economic sandbox, basically. You are a dude in a spaceship and you can engage in trade, become a pirate or mercenary, do jobs for money, align with a faction, etc. You can mine asteroids, buy factories that produce goods. You could build and command a fleet of capital ships. Its very open to what you want to do. There's no specific goal and no specific endgame (shy of maybe owning everything and killing off everyone else).

Sounds like Star Citizen or Freelancer then. Except you can't change ships?

Oh sure, you can change ships if you want to!

It's very much like a vastly-upgraded version of Freelancer, or a single-player version of the popular "Eve Online" MMO. The simulated living economy in the X series is extremely robust and dynamic...it progresses with or without you.

You stand in one place and watch ships going to and from sectors, haggling and trying to make a name for themselves. It can be quite immersive.

I am so ridiculously hyped for this next iteration! Can't wait to play it. :)

Ok, I like this. :)

thx.

Up until now, they've been primarily trading and corporation sims - at least, for me, you'd never want to play these like X-Wing or some such. We'll see how well Rebirth does in the traditional space fighter stakes, but I'm just keen to wander around a living, breathing realm.

Or be the head of an inter-galactic corporation where you compete with rivals to dominate the galaxy with your financial might!

You can even build your own space station if you wanted to.

Yeah, the not-changing-ships part has been a point of contention for sure. I don't think it'll be as big a deal as people make it out to be, like someone above said, everyone in X3 just used a fast M3 anyhow, flying the capitals and even corvettes manually was just tedious and slow.

Perkel

Banned

Concept of this game:
You have starting starship, there is story going on. You shoot things trade stuff , buy stuff
Difference here between your normal spaceship game like FreeSpace 2 is scale.

Everything you see in game be it small spaceship, big carrier or even whole shipyard can be bought by player and used.

This is something comparable to EVE, ultimate sandbox.

In earlier games you could start for example from one small ship and get to point where you can fight whole nations with your own armadas and it is not only about fighting.

Each piece of weapon armor shield or anything can be produced.

For example you can have factory that produces small spaceship but that spaceship needs to be outfitted with for example shields, weapons, missles and so on. So for example for one ship you have whole chain of factories that will supply shipyard and those factiories alone will need source of resources energy, they will need protection and so on.

You can mine things, get enlisted in army for some nation, work for space police scanning other ships for illegal cargo and so much more.

Man am I looking forward to seeing how this game will fare on my ancient rig. Haven't played an X game since Reunion came out!

Oh sure, you can change ships if you want to!

It's very much like a vastly-upgraded version of Freelancer, or a single-player version of the popular "Eve Online" MMO. The simulated living economy in the X series is extremely robust and dynamic...it progresses with or without you.

You stand in one place and watch ships going to and from sectors, haggling and trying to make a name for themselves. It can be quite immersive.

I am so ridiculously hyped for this next iteration! Can't wait to play it. :)

Aquamarine, you're a PC gamer too? Thought you were a Nintendo investor and GAF Sales Age correspondent, I seldom see you post in any specific game OP. What platform are you not invested in lol.

legacyzero

Banned
Subscribed. I love your minimal OT. It's great!

I'm VERY picky on games that take place in space. I'm looking for a game that is JUST RIGHT. Im not sure this, or even Star Citizen are it, but this one is certainly on my radar.

Man am I looking forward to seeing how this game will fare on my ancient rig. Haven't played an X game since Reunion came out!

Aquamarine, you're a PC gamer too? Thought you were a Nintendo investor, what platform are you not invested in lol.

Why can't I be both? :-(

I like robust, open-world simulations where you can pretty much do whatever you want. The X series has always fascinated me with its sheer volume and depth. It really is a series you can spend hundreds and hundreds of hours deeply invested in.

Subscribed. I love your minimal OT. It's great!

I'm VERY picky on games that take place in space. I'm looking for a game that is JUST RIGHT. Im not sure this, or even Star Citizen are it, but this one is certainly on my radar.

Regarding the OT, there's enough puff and overbearing presskit silliness in other official threads that - for the most part - gets quickly scanned over once and never returned to. All the info is a click away and I might update it with reviews thereafter...however, given the way X games are, reviews are rendered meaningless with mods etc.

And agreed on finding that *right* space game. Terran Conflict with mods was pretty much on the money, but I'm looking forward to this new take on the Egosoft formula. Can't wait to wander around on space stations or command big mining operations.

Sethos

Banned
Now that's an OT I can get behind. Simple and to the point.

I just pre-ordered AC4 and Rebirth last night. Never was much into the X-series. Always had tons of issues with them, they seemed poorly coded in some places and just overly complex in that boring style where you don't care to learn it.

Visually it looks fantastic, so hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Perkel

Banned
Considering how much detail they put into those factiories and how trading works now...

IS X:Rebirth will be my Euro Truck Simulator but in space ?

Then either X isn't for you or you don't get what it's about.

I for one, am hyped to the max for this one!

That's a bit unfair. This just might be the turning point for the series in allowing an easier entry into the X experience, so while we know a deficit of cool ships isn't X's problem, the somewhat hefty asking price emphasises the gamble for those on the fence.

Especially if Terran Conflict et al. didn't do much for them.

Top Bottom