• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X Rebirth |OT| Back In The Womb With You

Darklord

Banned
Oh sure, you can change ships if you want to!

It's very much like a vastly-upgraded version of Freelancer, or a single-player version of the popular "Eve Online" MMO. The simulated living economy in the X series is extremely robust and dynamic...it progresses with or without you.

You stand in one place and watch ships going to and from sectors, haggling and trying to make a name for themselves. It can be quite immersive.

I am so ridiculously hyped for this next iteration! Can't wait to play it. :)

No, you can't change ships. You can upgrade yours and buy others that are controlled by NPC's. It's not like Freelancer or EVE where you can physically pilot a bunch of ships.

Still excited to play it though.

kudoboi

never played the previous games. i have them in my steam library though ( damn you game bundles). hopefully this game is easy to control and easy to get into. will wait for reviews until i buy it but hoping for minimal UIs and controls or at least a basic mode and advanced mode

Amir0x

Banned
Oh man I like your style of OP, so minimalist, so perfect.

I am pretty excited. I never played an X game before (I was going to try one before this came out, but did not get the chance), and this looks so hot.

Dennis

Banned
ieBAbFpBkz9Us.gif

No, you can't change ships. You can upgrade yours and buy others that are controlled by NPC's. It's not like Freelancer or EVE where you can physically pilot a bunch of ships.

Still excited to play it though.

Oh sorry, we had different definitions of "changing ships."

Gaz_RB

It will definitely be interesting whether the developers can pull off what they are saying they will. Seems like a huge jump from previous games.

Never got into X3. Too much ... jankyness. To much of a mess.

If this one is redesigning the basic from scratch and have an actual tutorial, tips and smooth learning curve, sure why not

Vortex566

I've played a lot of X3 and even X when it first came out, but always found using a stick a chore, so it's good to know I can play without a stick.

Holy moly, it looks awesome. I want this to be the PC's best 4X game yet so very much. I want to build gigantic empires and have humongous, EVE-like battles, without the jankiness and the gigantic menu mess of all the previous X games.

Rtas

The only thing I'm wary about is not being able to change ship. I'm going to miss piloting a couple of M7's into a xenon sector and wiping out a few Q's. I'm skeptical at how this one ship system will work. Still it looks fantastic and knowing me, I'll drop untold monies on this game

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Can't wait. I have a fair few worries, but they are outweighed by a lot more positive feelings and impressions.

One of my biggest concerns is what the plot will be like. X2 was the last game in the series with a real narrative and it was less than stellar. X3/TC/AP all had plotlines but they were pretty bare bones in terms of prominence and presentation, so much so it was like they weren't there.

Now though the entire plot to the game seems much more prominent, your ship and copilot are at the very center of it, I doubt you can easily avoid it. So I really hope they hired a good writer and hope a whole lot more they hired a great mission/scenario designer. I can let a shitty story pass but at least give me some fun and interesting missions to go on. That was always the weakest aspect of the X series to me. If they could just create some good mission types the game would be so much better.

Is anyone playing this game with a flightstick? I would like to try it with one but I have zero experience with them. Can anyone recommend a good one that works well with the X series?

Bradach

The last spaceship game I really got into was xwing v tie fighter. I'm going to pick this up in the hope it can satisfy my space needs.
All videos I've seen so far seem very promising

Keric

OK, I'm aboard the hype train. This should help hold me over until Star Citizen. Where can I get this the cheapest. Green man gaming $40 with GMG20-X80Z3-CU97Y. Any place better?

RulkezX

I still hate that you can't fly any other ships in it now. One ship and it's not exactly a Normandy or Millennium Falcon.
content_x_rebirth_quote.gif

My friend worked on this game , he promised me that this wont be an issue , that the modular system is excellent.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So what exactly is this game?

A space sim?

Can it be multiplayer?

It's a space sim. You can build, fight and trade. Command an empire of trading ships, an armada of capital ships laying waste to all in your path, or an industrial juggernaut who owns and controls the production of everything from energy cells to argnu beef.

There is no multiplayer of any kind. It's your universe, that changes and reflects your actions alone.

Bernd said:
We had a look at engines like Unreal or the CryEngine, but because we wanted to have cutting edge space graphics, an area very different from what these engines are specialized in, we had to develop our own engine.
This I don't get. How, then, is Star Citizen a thing? Judging by the videos, their particle effects and explosions do seem to be very much a flat D3D9 thing. Don't get me wrong, it still looks amazing, but it doesn't come close to SC. It could have been even more. But hey, it doesn't stop them from updating it some time or letting modders do their magic, I guess.

Perkel

Banned
This I don't get. How, then, is Star Citizen a thing? Judging by the videos, their particle effects and explosions do seem to be very much a flat D3D9 thing. Don't get me wrong, it still looks amazing, but it doesn't come close to SC. It could have been even more. But hey, it doesn't stop them from updating it some time or letting modders do their magic, I guess.

I think main point of X Rebirth is seamless ness. No gate system like in X3. They also may want to do something that Cryengine doesn't support.

They already did few space games so they know what they are saying. CDPR also wanted to create its own engine because they believed no engine on market can do what they want to do with it.

Licensing also cost money

KKRT00

I think main point of X Rebirth is seamless ness. No gate system like in X3. They also may want to do something that Cryengine doesn't support.

They already did few space games so they know what they are saying. CDPR also wanted to create its own engine because they believed no engine on market can do what they want to do with it.

Licensing also cost money

I think, they were not looking at CryEngine 3, but at CryEngine 2. It was years ago, not recently.

Perkel

Banned
I think, they were not looking at CryEngine 3, but at CryEngine 2. It was years ago, not recently.

Probably yes.

Point is Cryengine is good engine to create shooter but any other kind of game there can be issues and some major rework needs to be done. AI may for example need to work differently for openworld sandbox game than straight linear shooter.

Is there any sandbox game that need to track shitload of things on Cryengine ?

Top Bottom