• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X Rebirth |OT| Back In The Womb With You

KKRT00

Is there any sandbox game that need to track shitload of things on Cryengine ?

There are MMOs created on CryEngine.
And Star Citizen :)

--
Tracking lots of data is more database backend that You can write outside of game engine.

Jac_Solar

The game sounds really exciting and all, but I really, really don't think it's possible to deliver a game of this supposed scale, quality and content. At least not the way they are claiming to.

The only way it's remotely possible is if the majority is procedurally generated; ie, the cities, buildings and so forth, which means that most of the cities will have the same buildings and probably have a similar layout.

They say that you can actually walk around inside of the buildings, which definitely means that it will have to be procedurally generated or just be limited to a couple of buildings (Ie, the centre hub-office of a couple of cities.).

If it's procedurally generated, there will probably only be a couple of pre-set layouts and designs. Ie, there will only be 4-5 different sizes of the inside layouts (Modelling, texturing, general layout of it.) spread out across all the buildings.

Similar to Just Cause 2.

But even so, it'd be very impressive if they managed to make a game of this supposed scale. It'd still be tricky to procedurally generate vast cities in space.

If that's actually what they've done, then it could be truly amazing, especially since they've also incorporated modding into it.

But.. why haven't they also included planets in this game? That could make for some remarkable gameplay and possibilities. They said that capital ships have some sort of gravity, and that you can land on them -- so it sounds like it's possible to make some sort of decent planetary system.

Perkel

Banned

--
Tracking lots of data is more database backend that You can write outside of game engine.

MMOs tend to not have complex AI only they need to track stuff and ton of controll ton of mobs that mostly see enemy = attack.

SC is kind of different. We are yet to see scale of universe and how it will be done in first place. There is mentioned local gaming but we don't know if it will feature whole SC universe which will be mainly server side or it will feature just small space and for example it will be "updated" every day or something.

I mean for example AI stuff. X3 engine for example struggled a lot after few hours and with mod like X-tended which made everything bigger and filled space with ships after few hours of expansion framerate could drop like a rock introducing CPU stops to calculate AI.

AI in X3 is much different than for example Skyrim where most of things happen only near you. In X3 all ships are doing something in whole galaxy, like in Albion there is war going on. AI build factories, react to invasions, ships deliver goods.

When you are not in sector ton of stuff was switched of so for example M3 would always win with M4 even if M3 had terrible weapons or shield.

Gothos

Still thinking about buying it. I could get it for 30$ or something like that so right now it's just a matter of waiting for first opinions. I trust no one nowadays with their games :)

Kilrathi

Im going to have to keep self away from this game other wise it suck all of my time away from classes(including a oculus rift project).

CTLance

I think we all need to keep in mind that Egosoft is a comparably tiny hardcore-oriented dev house.

They have, what, two dozen employees or something? I'm not knocking them, but there is a clear and painful upper limit in budget and manpower. Especially considering the outright ridiculous scope of this game. I'm sure they have wrung every last drop of blood from each Euro they managed to scrounge together for this game. As long as the design is sound I'm willing to put up with much jank, just like with the previous X's.

Obligatory boom:
xboomodsfe.gif

Perkel

Banned
The game sounds really exciting and all, but I really, really don't think it's possible to deliver a game of this supposed scale, quality and content. At least not the way they are claiming to.

The only way it's remotely possible is if the majority is procedurally generated; ie, the cities, buildings and so forth, which means that most of the cities will have the same buildings and probably have a similar layout.

They say that you can actually walk around inside of the buildings, which definitely means that it will have to be procedurally generated or just be limited to a couple of buildings (Ie, the centre hub-office of a couple of cities.).

If it's procedurally generated, there will probably only be a couple of pre-set layouts and designs. Ie, there will only be 4-5 different sizes of the inside layouts (Modelling, texturing, general layout of it.) spread out across all the buildings.

Similar to Just Cause 2.

But even so, it'd be very impressive if they managed to make a game of this supposed scale. It'd still be tricky to procedurally generate vast cities in space.

If that's actually what they've done, then it could be truly amazing, especially since they've also incorporated modding into it.

I think people mistake X:Rebirth for X4.

If we look back at X1 and how it evolved to X3 we can see that X Rebirth is just X1 that will evolve. They put foundations for future in game.

For example cockpit view in X3 and Albion were added as update but that cockpit view was very basic. ITs functionality was tied to game features. IT couldn't provide anything better because it wasn't programmed from start to be in game as standard feature.

One thing is sure X has one of the best modding communities out there.

If you look at mod for X3 terran conflict "X tended" it featured completely new universe with own amazing graphic, each station looked different compared to vanilla, they added ton of ships which again looked different to vanilla ships. They completely reworked art design so Boron faction art was completely different than Argon or Terran.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Edit: Adding to what Perkel said:

It's very important for new comers and people interested in the title to know that X series has one of the most robust and productive modding communities out there. Few games can rival the continued support from both the developers and modders. Every single X game has gotten major updates and content additions from Egosoft and every game has had dozens of top quality mods created for them, some of which are picked up and used by Egosoft themselves for official releases.

Egosoft puts out a great game, but neither they, nor the modding community just let that rest. X series is definitely the kind of game that you can come back to after a few months or years and find a wealth of improvements and new content, both official and unofficial.

Drazgul

I haven't really followed the development all that closely - is the title just words or are stars actually directly useful this time around?

I know it's beyond the tech of the X universe, but building a dyson sphere in game such as this as an ultimate project of sorts would be all kinds of brilliant.

Perkel

Banned
Edit: Adding to what Perkel said:

It's very important for new comers and people interested in the title to know that X series has one of the most robust and productive modding communities out there. Few games can rival the continued support from both the developers and modders. Every single X game has gotten major updates and content additions from Egosoft and every game has had dozens of top quality mods created for them, some of which are picked up and used by Egosoft themselves for official releases.

Egosoft puts out a great game, but neither they, nor the modding community just let that rest. X series is definitely the kind of game that you can come back to after a few months or years and find a wealth of improvements and new content, both official and unofficial.

Yeah. I find it fascinating how awesome mods are for this type of game.

I mean for example in that mentioned Extended mod there is Galactic radio that generates news based on what happened. Some conflict have few different input in those news and you can see for example plot happening from those news.

They implemented assets spreadsheet into game.

Mosquito missle defense system also is amazing smart mod that takes most shitty cheap rockets and uses them as anti-missile defense.

Arcticfox

I have high hopes for this game over time, but I understand there will probably be bugs and issues at launch. There always are for this type of game and this one has a lot of changes. Egosoft has been very good at supporting their games in the past, though.

Aw man, the more I'm reading about this game the more I want...
I think day one is inevitable at this point...
Lord save me...

Lingitiz

I really hope this game is awesome. Like others are saying, it does seem like the sort of thing that could be awesome or rough on launch.

CTLance

I wanna sit in the damn seat already. (8 Meg gif, not gonna embed that)

It's a crying shame this doesn't support the Rift... yet.
At least they're very open to the idea. IIRC some of the previous releases had head tracking support.
No promises, especially as we still don't have one in the office yet, but obviously it's something we would be interested in. It's also something that could potentially be added in a patch if we decided it wasn't possible in the initial release.
Well, we did order one. I also ordered one privately for me.
All I want for Christmas Easter my Birthday is the consumer version of the Rift and a Rift-enabling patch for this.

Perkel

Banned
The last one was 64MB ;)

I was feeling so enthusiastic that I just started installing Freelancer.

Can anyone tell me the basic difference between Freelancer and a game like X series?

Freelancer is poor man X3.

If you want good X experience get X3: Albion Prelude or if you want to spend some more time on it X3: Terran Conflict and get Extended mod.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Their art design is just fantastic. its up 11/10

Their art direction has improved vastly over X2 and X3 Vanilla. I knew things were looking up in TC when I first saw the Terran and ATF ships, but so far everything in XR is mint.

I hope one of their future improvements in NPCs cause their models are kind really ugly and limited. We've seen the same bald human like 40 times and in one of the videos I posted you see him twice in the same scenario. One version is the same we've seen but the other has crazy sun glasses on that look super bad.

On the plus side the VO actually sound OK. Nothing great, but serviceable and not something most people will find grating I think.

KDR_11k

--

FPS engines are designed around more or less fixed terrain (which includes LOD on heightmap terrain, various culling techniques, collision logic, etc), X is a space game. So there's no terrain. There's also no fixed "up" direction. It's not a level based game either so there's no "we only need these types of enemies in this level", all object types are always in play at the same time which alters the way asset handling works. X simulates a lot of stuff that's not near any player and varies the simulation fidelity based on what the player sees. It may be possible to put all that into, say, the Cry Engine but you'd throw so many parts away and paper over so many other parts that it may not be worth doing.

Also a licensed engine might limit what mod tools you can give out since parts of your game logic may be mixed with the engine's trade secrets.

i-Lo

What's the point of 40mb gifs. Might as well watch the video at that point :)

There is no point and all the point. It's what it is. It comes down the dimensions and compression of the GIFs.

If you don't like it you can go to options and turn off images. It's kind of perplexing to see mobile version of GAF allowing for stills and GIFs to be treated separately unlike regular version. Would be nice if both of them had the same option.

Daedardus

Then either X isn't for you or you don't get what it's about.

I for one, am hyped to the max for this one!

Why would I don't get what's it about? It's a mid-budget game with medium skilled devs. The 50 euro makes the risk only greater. Should've been 35 imho.

Can we maybe stop with the GIFs? Its crashing the browser on my phone and using up my data cap. Yeah, its a very GIFable game, but maybe we can have a separate GIF thread for this game when it actually comes out.

i-Lo

Can we maybe stop with the GIFs? Its crashing the browser on my phone and using up my data cap. Yeah, its a very GIFable game, but maybe we can have a separate GIF thread for this game when it actually comes out.

I hope that helps. Once again, you turn off active GIFs under preference options.

Top Bottom