• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX 2024 Direct Officially Announced: January 18th (Featuring: Indiana Jones, Avowed, Hellblade)

BosmerCulter

Neo Member
Riddick Games are First-Person

The Darkness is First-Person

Wolfenstein Games are First-Person

The background of MachineGames developers pull more toward the FPS than Third-Person.

But Arkane also only does FPS games until now but the Blade game has been announced has a Third-Person adventure game.

Ozriel

M$FT
The problem with Microsoft’s past showings for Elder Scrolls Online and the likes of Fallout 76 is that it’s jarring to see the visuals in what is usually a current gen showcase.
Xbox needs to invest in a significant visual overhaul for long running games like these.

They’ve updated ESO already with 4K resolution + 60fps but it could do with some more passes in texture quality improvement, lighting improvements etc.

we’ll see what they have to show today, but It’s good they moved it out of the main Direct.

Interfectum

Gold Member
I guess all these games will be announced as multiplatform right?
Today? Doubtful. Phil will weasel his way around it with typical ambiguity.

He'll say something like:

Reporter: "Is Indiana Jones Xbox exclusive?"

Phil: "If you want to play the new Indy game this year, you'll have to be on a platform where Game Pass exists."

Reporter: "What about next year?"

Phil: "Thanks for your time and game on!"

Interfectum

Gold Member
It was already revealed during the ABK stuff that Microsoft paid Disney to make Indiana Jones exclusive. I'd assume Hellblade 2 is as well. Other than that, no idea.
MS is not stupid... with their new games there is zero chance they'll mention other potential platforms these games are coming to. They'll leave themselves an out somehow though and frustration across gaming will continue.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I guess all these games will be announced as multiplatform right?

3owTj36.gif

No port begging.

Topher

Gold Member
MS is not stupid... with their new games there is zero chance they'll mention other potential platforms these games are coming to. They'll leave themselves an out somehow though and frustration across gaming will continue.

Agree.....no way Microsoft says anything about other platforms. Media types will be hounding MS during and after for clarification of the game's exclusive status. I just wonder how long Microsoft is going to be silent on all of this.

Interfectum

Gold Member
Agree.....no way Microsoft says anything about other platforms. Media types will be hounding MS during and after for clarification of the game's exclusive status. I just wonder how long Microsoft is going to be silent on all of this.
I mean, look at their Blade bullshit. They let that epic announcement be completely nullified by platform ambiguity. It will be no different today. Phil Spencer has probably run his Multiplatform speech through chat gpt 300 times by now and still isn't ready to say it.

Ozriel

M$FT
I mean, look at their Blade bullshit. They let that epic announcement be completely nullified by platform ambiguity.

I’m curious how any of that ruined or nullified their Blade announcement for you.

Is this a preview of what’s going to be the narrative when they mention release dates, announce preorders etc today with no change in announced platforms?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I'm eager to see if Indiana Jones will be a copy of Uncharted / TR.
Please don't be AA

I mean... what else is it going to be? Both Uncharted and Tomb Raider wouldn't exist without Indiana Jones. It's not going to be a first person shooter. It'll be a cinematic third person adventure... and that's just the way it should be given the source material.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

Legit excited to see Indy. The latest movie was just such a disappointment.

Perhaps entertainment conglomerates can learn that mega-franchises that age out, burn out, or wind up totally complete in cinema can have a permanent home in games (Star Wars, Harry Potter, MCU, LOTR, Indy, Robocop, Terminator, Alien, etc.).

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I mean... what else is it going to be? Both Uncharted and Tomb Raider wouldn't exist without Indiana Jones. It's not going to be a first person shooter. It'll be a cinematic third person adventure... and that's just the way it should be given the source material.
I'd honestly prefer 1st person over an Uncharted clone. It would at least be something different

Raven77

As a lover of Xbox I'm surprised to see so many people hyped up for this.

We've seen Hellblade many times so, nothing new there.

Avowed looked like a bargain bin game last time we saw it. And that was one of my most anticipated games when announced, so that last showing really hurt. Not sure why anyone would expect it to look much better, it isn't like they would have scrapped it and started over.

Indy seems to be the only thing you get excited about. The old ones were fun and it's a great IP.

For those crazy hyped, genuinely wondering why.

geary

It's a 4X game, Oxide are fairly new, mostly do engine work, they only have one of their own game, Ashes of Singularity.

I dont really trust these games that follows a very big IP in the a genre. Humankind supposed to be the game to rival CIV6, but fall flat on its face...

MiguelItUp

Yep.
Even the very first one had it.

LPiPuFH.jpg
Yeah, I think it not having the theme would be a HUGE miss. So many years later it still pops up in my head and gets stuck. Something I miss the most regarding older films. I miss the memorable themes that have such ridiculous staying power. Spent a LOT of time with the NES game.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

Indiana Jones will be running on the Starfield engine in all its glory!!
I wonder if it will show an old Indie Jones or a young one. I am curious about this game. I hope it delivers i love the franchise.

SantaC

Mmmm is ID tech good? What games are running on that besides Doom, I particularly do not like Doom's aesthetic.
id Tech used to be the leading industry engine at one point. (back in the day)

latest version is id tech 7 I guess it is pretty decent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom