• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX 2024 Direct Officially Announced: January 18th (Featuring: Indiana Jones, Avowed, Hellblade)

No chance. Their shows mostly focus on gamepass these days.
WTF are you talking about? The dev direct is for upcoming first party games for the year. They are full price AA & AAA games, yeah, they are on GP too if you subscribe but not everyone does despite what these forums would like to have people believe. lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I'm keeping expectations low and will be happy if it turns out good.

"We realised that we weren't focused on the things that we're best at".

That's actually pretty encouraging. Work on your strengths (in this case, well written quests and dialog).

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I just hope it is as well written as the original Pillars and Pentiment. Their other stuff has been very mediocre in terms of overall writing quality. Outer Worlds being the most egregious.

I want a new, great first person medieval/fantasy RPG.

This is still in EA but releases later this year. Checks all the boxes.

Last edited:

Dazraell

I just hope it is as well written as the original Pillars and Pentiment. Their other stuff has been very mediocre in terms of overall writing quality. Outer Worlds being the most egregious.

I want a new, great first person medieval/fantasy RPG.
Apparently The Outer Worlds narrative designer / DLCs lead writer is also spearheading Avowed's story. The same writer worked on both Pillars games though, so who knows

fersnake

• Indiana Jones game: MachineGames, the award-winning studio behind the recent Wolfenstein series, will reveal their upcoming Indiana Jones game, an action-adventure that puts players in the leather jacket of the legendary archaeologist. Developer_Direct will showcase more than 10 minutes of game and developer insights, including details about the game’s setting and story, how fans will actually play as Indy, additional details from his next globe-trotting adventure, and the premiere of the first gameplay trailer.

been waiting a proper Indi game since the snes, but seeing this im suspecting a FPS? damm i was hoping a 3rd person shooter like TR/Uncharterd so sad.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
and with every update everything has improved , combat , AI , foliage , animations , perfromance

Man, I can't wait for the full release. Another one that's on my radar is The Wayward Realms, from the OG creators of The Elder Scrolls (Arena/Daggerfall). But this one is 2025 at the earliest.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
been waiting a proper Indi game since the snes, but seeing this im suspecting a FPS? damm i was hoping a 3rd person shooter like TR/Uncharterd so sad.
Could work if plays a bit like mirrors edge with a whip, pistol and platforming. I'd prefer 3rd person but think it'll be a mix of both personally.

I don't want just uncharted/tomb raider in an Indy skin. Looking forward to the reveal regardless.

JackMcGunns

I've been posting here years longer than you, who are you to imply I'm not welcome?

It's a joke you dumbass, I was making fun of Sony.

Maybe you have been posting for years, but it doesn’t give you a license to call people a dumbass, your attitude sucks. You could’ve maybe just answered the question or clarified that it’s a joke without personal attacks

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Avowed....the game I was most excited for with it's initial reveal and the most recent reveal underwhelmed me by a lot. Now that my expectations are quite low I am slowly getting excited again.

We shall see.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Avowed is definitely the thing I want most from Xbox aside from a new Gears or that rumored remake collection.

If it ends up being a modern and polished Skyrim with pillars of eternity level writing then I will be in bliss.

Outer Worlds I legit couldn’t play even after changing the fov, head bob , etc which kept giving me motion sickness. This and Dying Light 1 were legit unplayable for me.

adamsapple

New arts for each of the 4 major games.

Indiana looks like a little bit like Ford but also stylized.

GD5QHNqXwAAvEwk

Ozriel

M$FT
Avowed looks ok in screen shots.. But in motion it looks like something from 2011.

…Or more likely the trailer and the screenshots come from different builds. And that’s before we get into the folly of judging the final visuals and lighting from alpha footage.

Story better be fucking amazing...
But seeing as development flip flopped from multiplayer to single player.... I'm guessing this is gonna be RedFall pt 2.

When was this ever a multiplayer only game?

Last edited:

dem

…Or more likely the trailer and the screenshots come from different builds. And that’s before we get into the folly of judging the final visuals and lighting from alpha footage.

When was this ever a multiplayer only game?

If you think the visuals are going to change much compared to the trailer from the summer... you're just crazy. If it's coming out this year, the game is basically done.
The animation was so bad. So... sooooo bad.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

I heard the exact same thing from sources! Those physical copies sold in the United Kingdom are essential for the confidence of their shareholders so they are all freaking out over there on what's going to happen with all of that. I'm hearing if they come under their target, that will be the first piece of the domino falling, and it will come crashing down after that.

Could you ask his Majesty if he is a Sony PlayStation kinda of royalty or PC master race? I'm really curious.
I caught up with "KC" this weekend past when he visited my estate to (in his own words) "fuck up some ducks and geese with our shooters".
I asked him what console he was rocking these days and he looked at me and with that chuckle of his, answered "Bruv, one is still rocking a BBC Model B".

Apparently Frak! Is still his favourite game even though it's based around the exploits of a stupid caveman called Trogg and not, as he had hoped for, an interactive gaming experience based around the dangers to the environment and destruction of the British coastline caused by the controversial method of releasing natural gases, petroleum and brine using high pressure liquid to create cracks and fissures in areas of bedrock.

Camilla likes Peggle.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Yes...
That intro where he's walking down the dock is cringe. It looks like a higher res Assasins' Creed.. With worse animation

The game looks perfectly fine, visually.

But even so, never in the history of Obsidian has cutting edge visuals been their selling point for their games. That's not why people play Obsidian games and it never has been.

It'd be like complaining that the new Naughty Dog game doesn't have deep RPG mechanics and branching storylines. That's not what they do.

Last edited:

Zannegan

This looks like something from 2011 to you?

Some of y'all have extremely weird takes and fixation on visuals in games :messenger_grinning_sweat:
It's a little more stylized, visually, than something like the Elder Scrolls, which I wasn't expecting prior to the reveal. Now that I've had time to adjust, I think it looks fine, but I can see how the art style could throw people off.

Ozriel

M$FT
If you think the visuals are going to change much compared to the trailer from the summer... you're just crazy. If it's coming out this year, the game is basically done.
The animation was so bad. So... sooooo bad.

no point sparring with you when we’re getting new footage in 3 days.

Over a year of development between summer last year and release, but sure, that’s “basically done” 🤡

adamsapple

It's a little more stylized, visually, than something like the Elder Scrolls, which I wasn't expecting prior to the reveal. Now that I've had time to adjust, I think it looks fine, but I can see how the art style could throw people off.

I've said this before elsewhere on GAF as well but we really shouldn't ask or expect every game to attempt photo-realistic approaches, way too many games that already do that.

There's a lot of room for photo-realistic stuff already. It's ok if some developers want to do stylized visuals.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Some of y'all have extremely weird takes and fixation on visuals in games :messenger_grinning_sweat:

well to be honest that doesn't shine high quality AAA release either. not from a visual perspective no. Not asking it to be cyber-punk but cmon.

Yes the animations are a bit weird in that trailer. or maybe a better word, lacking in that department and needs more. the graphics its self is not great on the characters or enemies.

Also. those 4k screen shots looks really good.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I don't give a shit how it looks. Gameplay looked very mid in that video.

I have no issue trolerating less graphics if the game is fun. Obsidian is a studio I have some faith in, so we will see. It's unlikely I wont check out the game.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

It's a terrible trailer there's no other way around it. Graphics look good enough for this type of game, my biggest problem is the art style. I much prefer the one in Pillars of Eternity.

Last edited:

adamsapple

It's a terrible trailer there's no other way around it. Graphics look good enough for this type of game, my biggest problem is the art style. I much prefer the one in Pillars of Eternity.

TBH this just looks like PoE in first person.

To me it looks like fantasy themed Sea of Thieves.

0RaANlh.jpg

jNhjK5J.jpg
You've picked 2 particularly cartoon like screenshots, when the majority of the trailer doesn't look like that. It should be noted though that some of the studio felt that trailer didn't portray the game in a good light. I'm sure what we'll see Thursday will be far more impressive.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It should be noted though that some of the studio felt that trailer didn't portray the game in a good light. I'm sure what we'll see Thursday will be far more impressive.

Good that they acknowledged that. When even the creators say it, you know that trailer was terrible.

You've picked 2 particularly cartoon like screenshots, when the majority of the trailer doesn't look like that.

Nope, game looks like fantasy themed Sea of Thieves. Art style is terrible, I'm sorry.

R80K5sO.jpg

ESR9hK7.jpg

tCtYNPb.jpg

vu5Ql9z.jpg

OaNrZwU.jpg

And again, this has nothing to do with graphical fidelity. It's the style they went for that's the problem. After that first CGI reveal few years ago, people were expecting this kind of vibe from the game:

Last edited:
Good that they acknowledged that. When even the creators say it, you know that trailer was terrible.

Nope, game looks like fantasy themed Sea of Thieves. Art style is terrible, I'm sorry.

R80K5sO.jpg

ESR9hK7.jpg

tCtYNPb.jpg

vu5Ql9z.jpg

OaNrZwU.jpg

And again, this has nothing to do with graphical fidelity. It's the style they went for that's the problem. After that first CGI reveal few years ago, people were expecting this kind of vibe from the game:

I disagree but I do find the colour scheme quite ugly in some shots.

adamsapple

Yeah that shit looks subpar. Personally I think the game's graphics were unfinished in those shots and they were rushed to show something by Microsoft. They better come correct on the 18th.

Using youtube compressed pictures is the equivalent of 'camera adds 10 pounds'.

Here's some direct feed shots which much better in terms of IQ at least.

Bkac06n.jpeg

LvfS6IV.jpeg

iMlMZuK.jpeg

71GD61p.jpeg

LbFmays.jpeg

VVNXtGn.jpeg

Avowed looks like a good VR game. The visuals and animations we've seen so far isn't impressive imo.
This enemy going from attacking you to frozen and decapitated in one frame is ridiculous.

I wish it was in 3rd person.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Bkac06n.jpeg

LvfS6IV.jpeg

iMlMZuK.jpeg

71GD61p.jpeg

LbFmays.jpeg

VVNXtGn.jpeg
I hope people don't call these images "bullshots" 😛. I remember this term from the Spider-Man 2 pre-release threads 😛

Last edited:

yurinka

Bkac06n.jpeg

LvfS6IV.jpeg

iMlMZuK.jpeg

71GD61p.jpeg

LbFmays.jpeg

VVNXtGn.jpeg
Let's hope these are representative of the gameplay and not bullshots, because they look good.

adamsapple

You know, some people often call images like these "bullshots" 😛. I remember this term from the Spider-Man 2 pre-release threads 😛

These are pretty tame to be bullshots lol, maybe PC captures.

Bullshots are say .. Ubisoft releasing 2160p screens back in the PS3 era and calling it representative of the game :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom