• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Controller Cipher Series Announced

FrankWza

The problem with xbox nostalgia is that it's wrapped in "gamer" colors and styles because of their launch time frame

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

I hope you all see the pattern now:
  1. Announce some bad news
  2. Release a new controller color

Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

That's just hilariously pathetic.

Last edited:

Mownoc

Thought this might finally be that new controller that was leaked. Guess they cancelled all their plans for this gen. I've always thought transparent tech was gross lol.

Last edited:

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Thought this might finally be that new controller that was leaked. Guess they cancelled all their plans for this gen. I've always thought transparent tech was gross lol.
Transparent is fine, if it's fully. I loved my transparant Game Boy. But this thing here looks like, i don't even know what it looks like. Maybe a gypsy purse.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I hope you all see the pattern now:
  1. Announce some bad news
  2. Release a new controller color

Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

That's just hilariously pathetic.
Those two things are not mutually exclusive as correlation does not equate to causation. MS are always releasing new controller colors, there is no thread that connects this behavior with them announcing "bad news", as you assert. It's akin to suggesting that a person's driving habits has a causal relationship with someone's breathing, due to the fact that one breathes while driving.

Last edited:

RoboCain

All they need to do is release an orange, purple, green or clear transparent one and all be throwing money at them.

I have the blue sky cipher. It’s really cool. I like my elite but honestly barely use the paddles. It’s not really worth the extra $
The paddles on the Elite are trash and way too easy to press. It's why I used the dome paddles own the Edge.

At this point though I think I just prefer the standard controllers in general. My Edge was nice but I didn't like the grip and I didn't think it made a $120 difference. Same thing with the Elite.

kevboard

probably pushed back for next gen. I guess they don't want a DualShock situation where games need to support the controller with less features, and therefore don't fully utilise the new controller's features.

nick776

I'm done buying MS controllers until they add a modern feature like gyro. I can grab from a pile of old 360 gamepads and have feature parity.

No one can ever say they don't have the most colors though.
This is basically the same controller they have used since Xbox One launched. They made ZERO improvements (unless you count the stupid share button), it's absurd.

Esca

Imo transparent electronics all look cheap as hell, like a kids toy you'd see in a bargain bin cause even the kids think it looks like shit

BlackTron

This is basically the same controller they have used since Xbox One launched. They made ZERO improvements (unless you count the stupid share button), it's absurd.

If you don't count stuff like the share button (I didn't even think of it till you mentioned) there really has no been an improvement since 360. I have 360, One and Series pads but settled back to using 360 on PC. The others aren't substantially worse but they are slightly worse so why use it lol.

BlackTron

probably pushed back for next gen. I guess they don't want a DualShock situation where games need to support the controller with less features, and therefore don't fully utilise the new controller's features.

Complete fail to lack gyro. Games had this feature before they were even ported to Xbox. Should have been in day one, still a fail not to update it mid gen. By the time they add it to the controller there will be a new feature they don't have. It's just plain bad.

kevboard

Complete fail to lack gyro. Games had this feature before they were even ported to Xbox. Should have been in day one, still a fail not to update it mid gen. By the time they add it to the controller there will be a new feature they don't have. It's just plain bad.

that really was the 1 thing they should have added to the SX controller.

kevboard

This is the 1 thing that was in the revised controller they pushed back.

adding it mid-gen would still lead to a lack of support tho I bet.
many MP focused games for example lack gyro support precisely due to the fact they want an even playing field.

I am kinda surprised that noone made a gyro controller that emulates stick aim yet, or even emulates a Mouse. many Xbox games support mouse and keyboard. many of then support both at the same time. so you could in theory make a controller that supports gyro, has a configuration app to adjust the gyro settings etc. and then adds gyro support to nearly every game.

sure, not all games would work well with it, but many would.
I speak from experience, as I emulate stick aim in Apex Legends when playing it on my Deck, and it works near flawlessly.
in Apex this works without much of an issue because your stick input gets barely filtered if you set it up right, so it feels almost like emulating a mouse.

in games like Halo Infinite you can emulate a mouse on the gyro and get 100% perfect gyro aim, as Halo Infinite allows for both inputs to work simultaneously (Apex Legends doesn't without hitching).

so a controller like that could work but also could be seen as cheating by some lol.
you can do it tho, if you set it up right on a PC or the Steam Deck, and then use remote play 😉
suddenly you have gyro aim in console games that don't natively support it.

Last edited:

BlackTron

adding it mid-gen would still lead to a lack of support tho I bet.
many MP focused games for example lack gyro support precisely due to the fact they want an even playing field.

I am kinda surprised that noone made a gyro controller that emulates stick aim yet, or even emulates a Mouse. many Xbox games support mouse and keyboard. many of then support both at the same time. so you could in theory make a controller that supports gyro, has a configuration app to adjust the gyro settings etc. and then adds gyro support to nearly every game.

sure, not all games would work well with it, but many would.
I speak from experience, as I emulate stick aim in Apex Legends when playing it on my Deck, and it works near flawlessly.
in Apex this works without much of an issue because your stick input gets barely filtered if you set it up right, so it feels almost like emulating a mouse.

in games like Halo Infinite you can emulate a mouse on the gyro and get 100% perfect gyro aim, as Halo Infinite allows for both inputs to work simultaneously (Apex Legends doesn't without hitching).

so a controller like that could work but also could be seen as cheating by some lol.
you can do it tho, if you set it up right on a PC or the Steam Deck, and then use remote play 😉
suddenly you have gyro aim in console games that don't natively support it.

I'm sorry but you can play Halo Infinite on Xbox by plugging in a mouse. And the system is full of games where gyro is optional on other platforms. Those other platforms also have games that lack gyro. They didn't explode or anything.

kevboard

I'm sorry but you can play Halo Infinite on Xbox by plugging in a mouse. And the system is full of games where gyro is optional on other platforms. Those other platforms also have games that lack gyro. They didn't explode or anything.

some devs don't care some do. Apex Legends has no gyro due to Xbox players not having access to it for example.

Valorant as well. the devs came out and said it right away

Last edited:

BlackTron

some devs don't care some do. Apex Legends has no gyro due to Xbox players not having access to it for example.

Valorant as well. the devs came out and said it right away

I'm sorry but if this is supposed to somehow support the notion that it made sense not to add it (even mid gen) I don't get it.

Edit: Apex has gyro on Switch and also crossplay. I guess it's balanced because they get lower frames? lol

Last edited:

kevboard

I'm sorry but if this is supposed to somehow support the notion that it made sense not to add it (even mid gen) I don't get it.

the reasoning behind it is that it would make the playingfield uneven. so yeah, even a mid-gen addition of gyro would probably still mean that games like these wouldn't get support for it

Edit: Apex has gyro on Switch and also crossplay. I guess it's balanced because they get lower frames? lol

the Switch version is basically unplayable due to the input lag and framerate. then there are the worst analog sticks known to man on the joycons. so yeah, I bet they added that so that they have even the slightest chance.

BlackTron

the reasoning behind it is that it would make the playingfield uneven. so yeah, even a mid-gen addition of gyro would probably still mean that games like these wouldn't get support for it

I think this is acceptable. PS5 controller has gyro. It's not supported in Apex. It's not a big deal. Doesn't seem like a great reason to withhold it.

I burned out a long time ago on xbox's obsession with selling controllers in different colors. To be fair, these look solid, but there's nothing new underneath the hood. The only controller announcement I'd be excited for is a budget friendly controller with paddles selling for $100 or less. None of this, "hey buy our cool controller, it's only half the price or more of our console!"

:messenger_neutral:

Top Bottom