• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

gnexus

Best Buy opened up this controller for back ordering a couple weeks ago or so, and it finally arrived on Tuesday. Anyway... the thing feels nice, however... when I activate the hair trigger lock on my right trigger, the trigger button "sticks" when you depress it. The left trigger doesn't feature any sort of sticking with the trigger lock engaged. When my right trigger's lock is not engaged... there's a slight bit of stickiness when releasing, but it's not noticeable.

It's an audible unsticking sound, and it can definitely be heard during quiet gameplay moments. You can also feel the spring struggling to push the trigger up against your finger when depressing. Yikes... am I going to have to get an exchange? I've only owned this thing two days! The weight's awesome, I dig the extended sticks , not too sure about the paddles, but it's all around a nice upgrade. No idea how an exchange is going to work when stock is incredibly scarce.

Shy

So i've been getting analogue drift on my left stick for quite a while, i was reading that it means my controller is broken. :_: is that true. ?

Lima

So i've been getting analogue drift on my left stick for quite a while, i was reading that it means my controller is broken. :_: is that true. ?

Yes.

Best Buy opened up this controller for back ordering a couple weeks ago or so, and it finally arrived on Tuesday. Anyway... the thing feels nice, however... when I activate the hair trigger lock on my right trigger, the trigger button "sticks" when you depress it. The left trigger doesn't feature any sort of sticking with the trigger lock engaged. When my right trigger's lock is not engaged... there's a slight bit of stickiness when releasing, but it's not noticeable.

It's an audible unsticking sound, and it can definitely be heard during quiet gameplay moments. You can also feel the spring struggling to push the trigger up against your finger when depressing. Yikes... am I going to have to get an exchange? I've only owned this thing two days! The weight's awesome, I dig the extended sticks , not too sure about the paddles, but it's all around a nice upgrade. No idea how an exchange is going to work when stock is incredibly scarce.

Yes had the same issue. Get a replacement.

BraXzy

How common is this? Got Xbox Elite delivered today but it's technically a Christmas present so I have to wait to open it :3

Justinh

Got my second controller today, that I ordered more than a month ago from the Microsoft store.

They emailed me a promo code for 10 dollars off at the microsoft store, but dummy me forgot to use the code this morning when I bought an Xbox One with Gears, Unity, and Black Ops 3. I tried using the code to buy a 10 dollar xbox one gift card, but got an error. I tried again with a 25 dollar card and now the code is invalid...shit!

I don't want to open the second controller because it's a Christmas gift for a family friend (srs, no ebay shenanigans here), but I kinda want to test it out and make sure it doesn't have issues before I send it off to Pennsylvania, where the recipient lives (Ironically, I bought this person a PS4 at launch and gave it to him on Christmas that year, albiet a little early).
Wait, is that "irony?" Aw fuck it, no one cares...

Lima

Oh, do you know how it happens. ?

oX41xR2.png

You see the plastic things on the left and right of the base from the stick module? This breaks and that means your stick doesn't center correct anymore. You get drift.

Shy

You see the plastic things on the left and right of the base from the stick module? This breaks and that means your stick doesn't center correct anymore. You get drift.
Ohh. *goes in a corner and cries*

I've been taking real care of my pad, are those plastic things really fragile. ?

m23

I've had the controller pretty much since launch, but I really haven't been using it to it's full potential. I tried using the paddles but it really doesn't feel comfortable for me, my hands start cramping up. I might not be holding it right or something so I'm just using it as a regular controller now, at least it feels great. So relieved I didn't pay the actual full price for it.

Has there been any progress on the PC side to have both the paddles and face buttons work as different inputs. Say customizable key presses for the paddles and the face buttons stay as the XInput button presses? I'd order one if that is figured out.

Moshio

Neo Member
I noticed that when my controller rumbles in Halo 5 it makes a weak, audible rumble noise when I hit the run button. I tried out my regular controllers, and they do not make the noise even though the rumble feels the same. I'm wondering if it's because the internals are different for this controller compared to the regular ones.

Has anyone else noticed this? I only hear the weak rumble noise when I run in Halo. I also checked the settings in the app and each side for vibration is at full strength.

gnexus

Yes had the same issue. Get a replacement.

That sucks. Yeah, I sent mine off to Microsoft on Friday, so it should be there tomorrow. Luckily, I live in the same state as their service center (Texas), so hopefully I should have it by the end of the week.

SURGEdude

Anybody find the paddles to not have a very snug connection? They wiggle a bit and it's kind of annoying. I want to know if I have a dud because I sure as shit am gonna get it swapped if that's the case considering the price.

Anybody find the paddles to not have a very snug connection? They wiggle a bit and it's kind of annoying. I want to know if I have a dud because I sure as shit am gonna get it swapped if that's the case considering the price.

My puddles are snug as a bug in a brand new rug. If yours are wobbly I'd swap it for a new one.

Simonnnnn

Which paddles? I find the top two on mine are solid, bottom two wiggle a bit and it's been bothering me for a while now :/

FX-GMC

Which paddles? I find the top two on mine are solid, bottom two wiggle a bit and it's been bothering me for a while now :/

All of my paddles wiggle the same amount toward the top (micro usb port side) and bottom (chat/3.5mm port side). The bottom ones feel loser due to their shape and the direction the paddle faces.

Doesn't bother me as its a removable part and there has to be some tolerance so the paddles are easy to install/remove.

MisterMentat

Neo Member
Does anyone have any good configs they'd like to share for some of the non-default games?

Or does anyone know of any reasons they personally use anything but the default sensitivity curve?

Loving mine. Well, more or less. I don't know if it's my hands being too big, but the lower most grip buttons under the controller...I keep accidentally squeezing them just trying to hold the controller tighter. I'm used to using my ring fingers to better grip the controller. Not sure if I should keep them on to try to get used to it or take the longest back buttons off and call it a day.

creatchee

Amazon confirmed shipping on mine after a little over a month. I should be getting mine on Wednesday.

I've never been so damned excited over a CONTROLLER.

Awakened

Loving mine. Well, more or less. I don't know if it's my hands being too big, but the lower most grip buttons under the controller...I keep accidentally squeezing them just trying to hold the controller tighter. I'm used to using my ring fingers to better grip the controller. Not sure if I should keep them on to try to get used to it or take the longest back buttons off and call it a day.
I got used to them and now use a more relaxed grip. Less hand cramps and fatigue this way too.

Lima

Only use the top paddles. Four paddles are useless anyway.

SURGEdude

Yeah it's the bottom two mostly. I guess the poster who made a comment about the shape might be onto something. I wish there was a store nearby that let me try them so I would know for sure.

mittelos

Just picked one up in-store BB yesterday. Played around with it some last night, really nice. But put me in the 2 paddle camp; there's just too much going on with all 4 in use for my brain to handle, plus the bottom two, particularly bottom right felt just a tad wobbly.

Fjordson

Just picked one up in-store BB yesterday. Played around with it some last night, really nice. But put me in the 2 paddle camp; there's just too much going on with all 4 in use for my brain to handle, plus the bottom two, particularly bottom right felt just a tad wobbly.
Best Buy? In-store??

I just got my Elite Controller from the console bundle last week. And I'm noticing today that the left stick is loose. It's not drifting in game, not yet anyways. I can actually turn my controller upside down and see and hear the left stick come down. And when I swap out the magnetic part of the stick the base comes up with it and then drops back down once the top is off.

Is this happening to anyone else? I haven't noticed an issue in game yet, but the right stick doesn't do this... I just don't want a faulty $150 controller.

Greye

What does analogue drift mean exactly? Is it the issue that the stick moves on its own in game?

Shy

What does analogue drift mean exactly? Is it the issue that the stick moves on its own in game?
Correct, after i move it right, and let go of the stick (or just rest it in the center) it very slightly continues to move right.

Herbs

Banned
I like it but not sure if I'll keep it. Need to spend some time with it. The paddles seem good but it's hard to adjust. I think I need to unmap the buttons that I want to use on them so I'm forced to change it.

Cynn

Add me to the list of people with a bum left stick. I've had the controller for just a few days now and it went from a weird little hitch in rotation to a full-on rice crispies style sound and crunching feel.

On the first day I had it I set the analog curve to "instant" in Halo and the left stick drifted quite easily. It didn't do so outside of that setting so maybe that's a good early indicator?

I made a video on YouTube of the sound it makes if you are curious.

http://youtu.be/3XZew7r2WYo

I'm hoping this isn't a big issue. I'd love for my replacement to work for at least as long as my launch controller. It feels so damn good! If the replacement does this as well then I'm out until a revision.

Add me to the list of people with a bum left stick. I've had the controller for just a few days now and it went from a weird little hitch in rotation to a full-on rice crispies style sound and crunching feel.

On the first day I had it I set the analog curve to "instant" in Halo and the left stick drifted quite easily. It didn't do so outside of that setting so maybe that's a good early indicator?

I made a video on YouTube of the sound it makes if you are curious.

http://youtu.be/3XZew7r2WYo

I'm hoping this isn't a big issue. I'd love for my replacement to work for at least as long as my launch controller. It feels so damn good! If the replacement does this as well then I'm out until a revision.

Not a big deal I think, both of my controllers have this. Not as loud but you can hear it if you are listening for it. Both of my controllers have no drift and work perfectly.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Add me to the "Left Stick Drifts" group. Noticed it started after first use... getting worse and worse.

Glad there are others, and I'm not crazy.

Going to have to call and see if I can get it replaced :(

Went into Game this week to chat about this to some staff. I asked if they had a demo as I'm not committing until i check one out in the flesh. I guess that'll never happen then as the staff said they had none in stock and didn't know when they;d get one in either. They keep selling out and there;s a massive waiting list.

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if MS start using controller sales instead of NPD as a metric of success! They seem to be doing gang-busters on these things and they are a clever move. You invest in one of these and you're likely to buy all your FPSs on their box, even if a rival sometimes has better performance. It's a clever way of using additional hardware to keep locking users into your software eco-system.

Nutter

Went into Game this week to chat about this to some staff. I asked if they had a demo as I'm not committing until i check one out in the flesh. I guess that'll never happen then as the staff said they had none in stock and didn't know when they;d get one in either. They keep selling out and there;s a massive waiting list.

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if MS start using controller sales instead of NPD as a metric of success! They seem to be doing gang-busters on these things and they are a clever move. You invest in one of these and you're likely to buy all your FPSs on their box, even if a rival sometimes has better performance. It's a clever way of using additional hardware to keep locking users into your software eco-system.[

The tin foil is strong on this! The controller works on PC.

I just got my Elite Controller from the console bundle last week. And I'm noticing today that the left stick is loose. It's not drifting in game, not yet anyways. I can actually turn my controller upside down and see and hear the left stick come down. And when I swap out the magnetic part of the stick the base comes up with it and then drops back down once the top is off.

Is this happening to anyone else? I haven't noticed an issue in game yet, but the right stick doesn't do this... I just don't want a faulty $150 controller.

http://youtu.be/ZYzb_Rgb1jU

I made a video of my left stick. Can anyone please see if this happens with your controller too?

Vitacat

Got an Elite console today. My first Xbox One, and so far loving the system.

You guys we're not kidding about the Elite controller being the best game pad ever made. It's astoundingly good.

Sitting here streaming Forza 6 to my Surface while the wife plays her beloved Bioware games on the TV. What a great option.

Top Bottom