• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

Microsoft is sending me a replacement this week without me needing to pay to ship it back, which I appreciate. Hopefully its sticks will be fine.

Otherwise, this is a great controller. And it's not as if the stick issue is limited to just the Elite.

Good luck with that. I had the same problem with the standard controller and I sent it back 3 times. They told me it normal for the sticks to wiggle/pop and there was nothing that could be done. They sent me several refurbs with the issue also. So I did the questionable thing and bought a new one at Best Buy and returned the flawed pos back.

Possible to buy that and return the stupid cradle?

Yep. Some impatient fella bought my original elite controller off me for $200 (even used). I picked up this bundle on gamestop's website the very next day. Arrived five days later. Returned the charging cradle wih zero hassle at the local store.

Breethagh

Neo Member
Hi,
i cant use to thumbs characteristic.
I was used smooth/ default / agressive, but nothing work like a standard XB1 controller sticks.

Tell me FPS players what you use as thumbs setup?

Lima

Hi,
i cant use to thumbs characteristic.
I was used smooth/ default / agressive, but nothing work like a standard XB1 controller sticks.

Tell me FPS players what you use as thumbs setup?

Standard. Why would you mess with this? Makes no sense. Such a pointless feature.

Breethagh

Neo Member
Standard. Why would you mess with this? Makes no sense. Such a pointless feature.

Because standard thumbs setup works different compared to XB1 standard controller.
Maybe its just controller feel.
I have no aiming issue with DS4(xb1 thumbs), XB1 standard controller.
On XB1 Elite i feel like i need to learn from beggining.

Owari

So I get my chatpad tomorrow. Eager to see how button mapping works with it, and how well it works with the Elite controller.

Drain You

So I get my chatpad tomorrow. Eager to see how button mapping works with it, and how well it works with the Elite controller.

I could be wrong but I don't believe button mapping is out yet for the chatpad. The x1 and X2 buttons are however mapped to screenshot/record that respectively however.

Flipside

I got a replacement Elite controller which doesn't have the annoying clicking in the sticks. I did notice that more Elite controllers have it to some extent (maybe it has to do with the magnetic components?).

Since I started playing with my new controller I came across an even more annoying problem however. The controller randomly disconnects every now and then. Just for a few moments, but long enough to interrupt gameplay and give you a popup that the controller has been disconnected.

My enjoyment of getting a new Xbox One Elite console is definitely getting lower and lower with all these annoying hardware issues. I didn't get the elite quality I was expecting and I am almost sorry that I didn't get a 1TB tomb raider bundle for 150 euros less :(

I will try to power cycle the console and see if that fixes my controller issues. It seems there are a lot more people experiencing disconnection with Xbox One controllers. If anyone has a tip to fix this, please share.

b0bbyJ03

For those using the Elite controller on the PS4 with the adapter, do you find it worth the time and effort to plug it in every time? im starting to feel like I might just continue playing with the ps4 remote.

Chorazin

Man. In games that don't require you to use buttons while looking, this thing is worth the money just so you never have to click the sticks again. Loving Rise of the Tomb Raider having sprint mapped to top left paddle and Survival Instinct mapped to top right paddle.

Justinh

Phil Spencer doesn't sound so sure you'll be able to find Elites controllers before Christmas.

Mrgrgr. I had bought one on the Microsoft store early this month and it said "ships by nov 30th." They reauthorized payment on Thanksgiving but I still see no evidence that it's shipped, or even getting ready for shipment. I might have to call them.

I already have one, this one was going to be a gift.

leng jai

Does anyone know if there's a way to map the select/start buttons to the paddles? Some of the limitations on this thing for PC are just bizarre.

Good luck with that. I had the same problem with the standard controller and I sent it back 3 times. They told me it normal for the sticks to wiggle/pop and there was nothing that could be done. They sent me several refurbs with the issue also. So I did the questionable thing and bought a new one at Best Buy and returned the flawed pos back.

Thanks

I hope the one that I end up getting when stock is available is flawless. I don't want to have to exchange it again.

SwolBro

Banned
Does anyone know if there's a way to map the select/start buttons to the paddles? Some of the limitations on this thing for PC are just bizarre.

The macro stuff is coming according to Microsoft.

OP: needs to update the front page with these infos

pieface

So can anyone explain to me how I configure the trigger sensitivity to work with the Plasma pistol on Halo with the hairline triggers active?

Lima

Under trigger dead zones. Trigger stop limits the travel to 80% aka it's useless anyway but go into trigger dead zone and adjust the right number closer to 80.

BraXzy

Listen up folks!

The Xbox One Elite Controller's are FINALLY coming back in stock in the UK. However, I must warn you, these controllers are literally selling out within a MINUTE of restock. Keep an eye on the page and it should come back in stock within 15-30 minutes. Wait for the AMAZON listing priced at £106.31.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZV0NH40/

I used http://www.stockinformer.co.uk to keep track of when it came back in stock. Set up a stock alert if needed. I only caught one because my phone went off.

Herbs

Banned
Listen up folks!

The Xbox One Elite Controller's are FINALLY coming back in stock in the UK. However, I must warn you, these controllers are literally selling out within a MINUTE of restock. Keep an eye on the page and it should come back in stock within 15-30 minutes. Wait for the AMAZON listing priced at £106.31.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZV0NH40/

I used http://www.stockinformer.co.uk to keep track of when it came back in stock. Set up a stock alert if needed. I only caught one because my phone went off.

Got it. Thanks Braxzy. Was debating it but the amount of time I've plunked down in Halo 5 and intend on playing it seems like the worthwhile choice,

Robin

Thanks BraXzy. Glad I opened the thread in time.

The availability seems to change every time I refresh the page but my order says it will be in stock/sent out on the 4th December.

BraXzy

Thanks BraXzy. Glad I opened the thread in time.

The availability seems to change every time I refresh the page but my order says it will be in stock/sent out on the 4th December.

Glad to have helped. The stock is crazy erratic right now, this is SO in demand it's insane. These are time stamps of the stock going in and out, it sometimes happens within 50 seconds :|

cf4b663287dd19342fa320c5e593e419.png

Special C

This is more of a generic controller question but is there any way to unsync a controller from a console before turning it on? I use one elite controller for both my Xboxes. One is upstairs directly above the other. So if I'm synced to downstairs and I take the controller upstairs it turns my downstairs Xbox on when I power on the controller to sync to the upstairs box. It's very annoying to go back downstairs to turn off the other xbox.
Or is there a setting to not have the controller turn on the xbox?

J4mm1nJ03

This is more of a generic controller question but is there any way to unsync a controller from a console before turning it on? I use one elite controller for both my Xboxes. One is upstairs directly above the other. So if I'm synced to downstairs and I take the controller upstairs it turns my downstairs Xbox on when I power on the controller to sync to the upstairs box. It's very annoying to go back downstairs to turn off the other xbox.

I'm not sure if I've ever even synced an XBO controller, (if the one included with the console is already paired then I haven't), but I'm pretty sure the 360 controller would go straight into pairing mode if you held the pairing button for a few seconds. Is that not the case on Xbox One?

Justinh

I'm not sure if I've ever even synced an XBO controller, (if the one included with the console is already paired then I haven't), but I'm pretty sure the 360 controller would go straight into pairing mode if you held the pairing button for a few seconds. Is that not the case on Xbox One?

You need to turn the controller on before it'll go into pairing mode. You can't just go straight into pairing mode by holding the little button before the controller is on. Pretty sure this was the case on the 360 pads as well.
Try keeping a usb cable near the upstairs xbox and plug it in before you turn it on. It should sync your controller with the upstairs console with the usb cable (you'll feel it vibrate momentarily when you plug it in) and "remove" itself from the downstairs console. Both the console and controller should turn on when you plug it in, too.

I don't have two Xbones, but this should work. I can only test it with a pc and the wireless adapter and an Xbox One but I don't see why it would work differently with you.

edit:THANK GOD, I just got a shipping confirmation for an Elite controller. I kinda feel like an a-hole for being so aggressive on the phone earlier today with support. Not really though, it still shipped a day late...

J4mm1nJ03

You need to turn the controller on before it'll go into pairing mode. You can't just go straight into pairing mode by holding the little button before the controller is on. Pretty sure this was the case on the 360 pads as well.

Ah okay, thanks. I've probably only synced Xbox controllers a handful of times in my life so I don't remember too well either way.

With that being said, mine's coming tomorrow! Can't wait. So I guess I would have been better suited to try to answer that question tomorrow, haha. For those that have one, how is the faceted d-pad and longer thumbsticks? I play Halo more than anything else so I imagine I'll probably be rocking hair triggers on, normal d-pad, and probably the longer thumbstick on the right most of the time. Still trying to figure out the best way to map the paddles, though. I already play Bumper Jumper so I'll be mapping the face buttons to them. Just trying to figure out which paddle I should map each one to.

RPGam3r

Wish this controller worked on PS4. Like Sony let MS make an app and worked on a way to connect it. Meh wishful thinking.

J4mm1nJ03

Wish this controller worked on PS4. Like Sony let MS make an app and worked on a way to connect it. Meh wishful thinking.

There's a $60 accessory that allows it to work wired. The Chronusmax, I think. I can't personally vouch for it but it works, as far as I've heard. I may end up looking into it since the PS4 is still my primary console but I think I'll really like this controller. I don't really have a preference between either controller at this point though, for what it's worth.

There's a $60 accessory that allows it to work wired. The Chronusmax, I think. I can't personally vouch for it but it works, as far as I've heard. I may end up looking into it since the PS4 is still my primary console but I think I'll really like this controller. I don't really have a preference between either controller at this point though, for what it's worth.

I have it and it's awesome. Cronusmax plus

BraXzy

Amazon uk reporting stock coming in on 6th December.

Amazon has been restocking frequently since December 1st. I managed to pick one up for £106. They add some stock and within 60 seconds it sells out again. So I assume it is backlogged that far for dispatch now. If you want it, buy it. This thing is as hard to get hold of as a Wii for Christmas :L

Argos also have started restocking but much less frequently.

Use www.stockinformer.co.UK and then sign up to a stock alert.

MIMF

Finally I just got mine delivered.

Everything as expected, I absolutely love it. Even the unbox of this controller has a special charm around it.

The only real flaw in my opinion is the design of the levers, it is impossible to have the 4 attached and be able to hold the controller in a comfortable way without pressing them by mistake. I think that the scuf levers design is much more intelligent/practical.

Hopefully at some point the levers will be sold as spare parts, I really believe that by cutting each lever in such a way that the part where you press gets very short, it would be possible to hold the controller as usual while at the same time being able to press them just when you need and not by mistake with the middle fingerprint.

FX-GMC

Finally I just got mine delivered.

Everything as expected, I absolutely love it. Even the unbox of this controller has a special charm around it.

The only real flaw in my opinion is the design of the levers, it is impossible to have the 4 attached and be able to hold the controller in a comfortable way without pressing them by mistake. I think that the scuf levers design is much more intelligent/practical.

Hopefully at some point the levers will be sold as spare parts, I really believe that by cutting each lever in such a way that the part where you press gets very short, it would be possible to hold the controller as usual while at the same time being able to press them just when you need and not by mistake with the middle fingerprint.

It's not impossible. You just have build up different muscles in your hand.

Cleve

I'll second that. I've been using my elite for PS4 with a Cronusmax and it's fantastic. It's a bit of a strange setup as it requires a USB hub with a ps4 controller to do the authentication, but it's perfectly responsive.

MIMF

It's not impossible. You just have build up different muscles in your hand.

Impossible is nothing :) but in my opinion it is fair to say that there are arguably better/more comfortable designs regarding the four levers placement and shape.

Had this since launch. I really have trouble using a regular controller for FPS games now.

I'm used to using the paddles now. They're pretty much the new "bumper jumper," but better.

PL=X=reload, PR=A=jump is my setup

FX-GMC

Impossible is nothing :) but in my opinion it is fair to say that there are arguably better/more comfortable designs regarding the four levers placement and shape.

I can't argue with that.

My hands were sore the first two days but since then it's become second nature to use the paddles. I find myself holding the weight of the controller with my palms on the sides of the controller. My pinky fingers add stability on the back side. No longer do I need my middle/ring fingers to support the weight of the controller.

I say give it some time and you may find it comfortable. If they release paddles that work better for others than I'm all for that too.

J4mm1nJ03

Got mine yesterday and played a bunch of Halo with it! I like this thing a lot. Feels great in the hand and I like the added weight. Considering maybe even going full stupid and attaching my chat adapter to it for even more weight, haha.

Before now I was stuck with a controller with the launch bumpers and that had some of the aiming issues in Halo 5, so this feels like an even bigger improvement than it may to some people on the updated controllers. Aiming is buttery smooth now, especially with the taller stick and my bumper jumper game has never been better. Put my right stick on the aggressive curve as well. Not sure how much of a difference it actually made but it feels nice to me, at least.

It didn't take as long for me to get used to the paddles as I thought either. I definitely won a few gunfights last night thanks to the paddles. They are also much more comfortable and easy to use than I was expecting. Looking at pictures I was always worried that I would have to contort my grip in some new and weird way, but they actually feel pretty natural to me. The hair triggers make the carbine in particular much more deadly as well.

I'll second that. I've been using my elite for PS4 with a Cronusmax and it's fantastic. It's a bit of a strange setup as it requires a USB hub with a ps4 controller to do the authentication, but it's perfectly responsive.

I may have to look into it if I find myself with some spare money to spend. I still really like the Dualshock 4 but I wouldn't mind using this thing as much as possible, given the price I paid for it.

Gamestop keeps putting up the $190 version with the charging stand. Just sell me the controller ya bastards.

I have seen people say that you can just return the charging stand to any Gamestop store without any hassle. A bit annoying to spend the extra money initially, but that's an option I guess.

Top Bottom