• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

Just got mine. Disappointed I can't macro the paddles... yet? But as far as functionality on PC, can anyone share their configurations on both stick and curve layouts? I know it's obviously subjective, but I want to get a feel for what other Neogaffers are finding good and not so good. Currently I have only replaced the thumbsticks with the medium length to try out the difference.

I remember seeing some people talking about issues with their Elite controller's sticks, but I don't remember what the specific problem was. Was it looseness? I'm starting to notice my right stick is much more wobbly than it should be, and it's somewhat worrying.

Anyone have any experience with Microsoft repairs? I'm thinking it'd probably be better to just go back to the Microsoft store I bought it from and try to swap it out

A couple of us have a "click" feel on left thumb stick when pushing it all the way up or down.

Justinh

Disappointed I can't macro the paddles... yet?

I don't think this would happen? Wouldn't this make it ineligible for tourneys?

Finally got back home and have hooked up my Elite controller. Anybody have any suggestions for Halo 5 config?

Yeesh, that sounds like a personal question, lol.
But I have paddles:
upper left -sprint/lower left-melee/left bumper-thrust
upper right-change weapon/lower right-jump/right bumper-reload

although, I really don't think many people will like that layout.

What I think I can say with some certainty is that if you keep the same/same-ish layout throughout a few different games and get used to it in those games too, it'll help you get more accustomed to the paddles more quickly. At least it helped me by getting used to more or less this layout in 5, MCC, and Destiny (the only real differences I have to get over are the AimDownSights in Destiny and no sprint/armor abilities in the older Halo games).

I couldn't handle 4 paddles. Right now I have sprint on left and melee on right

Yup. With all 4 on it felt really uncomfortable, not because of hand position, but because of the magnetism. The top ones are a little too loose and slide down under the bottom paddles and slightly come off if you push in a certain direction

Maybe its just me not being used to it but the top two felt off. Having just the bottom two feels great though. Love it.

Smokey

But I have paddles:

What I think I can say with some certainty is that if you keep the same/same-ish layout throughout a few different games and get used to it in those games too, it'll help you get more accustomed to the paddles more quickly. At least it helped me by getting used to more or less this layout in 5, MCC, and Destiny (the only real differences I have to get over are the AimDownSights in Destiny and no sprint/armor abilities in the older Halo games).

huh?

But I have paddles:

For PC, which is what I'm using it for. It's absolutely a must. There's literally no point to have it otherwise. We need to be able to bind key functions.

Justinh

Oh, please don't take it the wrong way, lol. I meant that controller setups always seemed like preference to me and that what's good for one person might absolutely infuriate another. Just like how Invert-Y is our true Lord and Savior (this is a joke). I like my setup, but I don't Aim Down Sight (or Smart Link™, whatever) so I still have grenades on left trigger and reload on a bumper rather than a paddle. I'm not sure how much other people would like that.

I really do mean it with the other games thing, though. It helped me get used to the paddles just being there a lot, I think.

I have issues with my D-pad. Seems like the Up direction doesn't respond nicely, and if I push it hard, it actually shuts off my controller.

Uhhhhhhhhhh :|

SwolBro

Banned
Just got mine. Disappointed I can't macro the paddles... yet? But as far as functionality on PC, can anyone share their configurations on both stick and curve layouts? I know it's obviously subjective, but I want to get a feel for what other Neogaffers are finding good and not so good. Currently I have only replaced the thumbsticks with the medium length to try out the difference.
Probably best to ignore that feature right now. Looks like they're working out some issues with the thumbstick curve sets.

I couldn't handle 4 paddles. Right now I have sprint on left and melee on right

Not many people can handle 4 paddles.

Smokey

Got my controller configured and have been playing BLOPS 3. I'm using the 4 paddles. Doesn't seem too bad so far. The ability to be agile while still maintaining proper aim is pretty cool with the controller.

Gowans

I got mine last night and man you can feel the premium just opening the box.

Started slow on Fallout 4, determined not to use the face buttons and threw on the hair triggers.

Feels great, a little foreign for now but warming up, i love I can just keep all my fingers resting in place.

Took it for a few spins on Halo, just need to work out what control scheme I want.

Also for sticks I've gone standard on the left and medium convex on the right.

Tips?

Tak3n

Banned
Hi

Can I ask for some assistance, for FPS what do you find your best set up is on the dead zone and the sticks, I have mine set to smooth and on 38 dead zone with the hair triggers locked obviously

just want to make sure I am not doing some stupid shit, also I am having a hell and all time remapping the back paddles, they always show up as unallocated

Ace 8095

This controller is so far beyond any other controller ever made it's unbelievable. Playing Halo using 2 paddles, left for dash and right for jump.

SwolBro

Banned
So far the only other mention of third party stuff http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...third-party-attachments-mapping-profiles.aspx

"This holiday, there will be Halo 5: Guardians component kits from Power A that will have unique thumbsticks, paddles, and D-pads," Kumar says. "It'll be available for about $29.99 MSRP. We are also working with Scuf in the near future to have their own add-ons for the Elite controller."

In addition to the hardware customization, owners can also create button-mapping profiles and download presets via the console-based app. Right now, only first-party games (Forza Motorsport 6, Halo 5: Guardians, Gears of War Ultimate Edition, and Sunset Overdrive) are featured, but that will be expanding in the coming months.

"We'll be doing this not only with first-party games, but we're looking forward to doing this with additional games beyond that," Kumar says. For more on the Xbox One Elite controller, check out our impressions and a video walkthrough of the device's features.

We won't be getting any Scuf parts this year it seems, only that Power A Halo 5 inspired stuff which doesn't look all that great.

They better hurry with the Scuf pieces.

Microsoft is sending me a replacement this week without me needing to pay to ship it back, which I appreciate. Hopefully its sticks will be fine.

Otherwise, this is a great controller. And it's not as if the stick issue is limited to just the Elite.

Ecto311

Any places stocking these recently? Amazon is showing mid december for ones ordered on the end of October. Seems nuts for a controller that was thought to flop.

Ryde3

Any places stocking these recently? Amazon is showing mid december for ones ordered on the end of October. Seems nuts for a controller that was thought to flop.

I got an order off of the Microsoft Store Canada website on the 18th (maybe 19th?) and it's due to ship on the 29th.

Lima

AFAIK the controller only uses the USB cable for charging when playing on the XBone. It's still wirelessly connected.

Incorrect. Controller turns off radio once connected via cable. That's also the reason why they are no wired controllers being sold.

Kama_1082

Banned
Dropped by Gamestop to preorder just cause 3 and found an elite controller sitting on the shelf and went ahead and picked it up. Controller #2!

pieface

How do you change trigger sensitivity?

When i try to change a config i have the following options.

Left Stick
Right stick
Triggers*
Vibration
Xbox button brightness
Swap sticks
Invert y axis
Swap triggers

*When i go into Triggers i can only adjust deadzones. No mention of sensitivity.

pieface

This is taken from a RUL video, i don't have any of this in my list.

6e5c8e34404db57cba8dd6b7d64cc1c1.png

FX-GMC

How do you change trigger sensitivity?

When i try to change a config i have the following options.

Left Stick
Right stick
Triggers*
Vibration
Xbox button brightness
Swap sticks
Invert y axis
Swap triggers

*When i go into Triggers i can only adjust deadzones. No mention of sensitivity.

I haven't tested this but I would assume that when you lower the Max value of the trigger range, the sensitivity increases.

Anyone using on PS4 with Cronus Max Plus?

Walked into the MS store today. They had one in stock. Couldn't resist. Miss Xbox controller that bad.

Seems pretty simple to get working.

BraXzy

Really want to pick one of these up by Christmas but they are sold out entirely in the UK. Some people are selling reservations at stores for £15 on eBay >.>

ArcLyte

they're definitely artificially limiting supply for standalone elite controllers in order to sell more elite system bundles.

Ecto311

they're definitely artificially limiting supply for standalone elite controllers in order to sell more elite system bundles.

Ha what? What good would that do since the elite bundle has a better hard drive too? Makes more sense to me to sell them separate since it would make them more money no?

Also amazon pulled the preorder setup for this that was shipping in december/january/spring/before the earth collides with the sun. Now in stock has had them showing up in a few places all day but before I could even log in they were gone. I had this damn thing preordered from amazon day one but when it came out I was broke.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Man, I convinced myself at launch that I didn't need this, that I'd wait on a sale. But all these glowing impressions, you guys have pushed me over.

But then cones the question, getting new games or a new controller.

Fjordson

Ha what? What good would that do since the elite bundle has a better hard drive too? Makes more sense to me to sell them separate since it would make them more money no?

Also amazon pulled the preorder setup for this that was shipping in december/january/spring/before the earth collides with the sun. Now in stock has had them showing up in a few places all day but before I could even log in they were gone. I had this damn thing preordered from amazon day one but when it came out I was broke.
Yeah, I had an Amazon pre-order super early but canceled it because I wasn't sure if this would be worth it. Really kicking myself now. Didn't know it'd be so damn difficult to get.

Anyone using on PS4 with Cronus Max Plus?

Walked into the MS store today. They had one in stock. Couldn't resist. Miss Xbox controller that bad.

Seems pretty simple to get working.

I have one. It's awesome to use it on ps4. Make sure to upload the script to one of your slots that remaps share button.

Hawk269

Man, I convinced myself at launch that I didn't need this, that I'd wait on a sale. But all these glowing impressions, you guys have pushed me over.

But then cones the question, getting new games or a new controller.

Getting the Elite would be the way to go because it will enhance all of your current games and any future games you plan to buy. It is expensive, but well worth the investment.

Top Bottom