• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Emu News: XPort strikes again - Virtual Memory in MAMEoX (PICS!)

I don't usually latch on to existing projects, but instead of making yet another MAME port, I thought it would make more sense to give a jump-start to an existing one.

For this reason, I've implemented virtual memory into MAMEoX - here are some examples of what's working now:

They all run well with at worst just an occasional hiccup.

I also don't usually make "announcement" posts. I'll just release something when it's done without any warning. However, I need some information from the user community and if I just asked the questions, I'm sure it would not be much of a mystery as to what I was doing.

So, what I need to get is a list of all the games that work in the Windows/DOS version of MAME 0.79 but do not work in MAMEoX 0.79. Most of these are probably the ones that required too much memory, but there are some others that just crashed regardless of how much memory was present (e.g. Tengai).

Yes, I plan on merging in the 0.84 core and yes I'm probably going to look at the lightgun code.
Source & Pix: Xbox Scene

champagne image anyone?

aerofx

Holy shit!! It's about fookin' time! I remember some fools on Xbox-scene.com said it's a waste and could take over a year with full time coding. BULL! Either that or this guy is really good at it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Awesome! :D I figured after SS5 Special gets released, there would be nothing left as far emulation goes on the Xbox; the "MAME with virtual memory" statement from a while back just seemed like it was never coming.

This isn't out yet, though, right?

Norse

Kawa-X has been using virtual mem on xbox for a long time now..where you people been? Its an awesome emulator.

its been playing the roms mameoX hasnt been able to for months. Heck, probably close to a year.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Yawn...wake me up when netplay is supported.

*goes back to playing on Kaillera on his PC*

Norse said:
Kawa-X has been using virtual mem on xbox for a long time now..where you people been? Its an awesome emulator.

its been playing the roms mameoX hasnt been able to for months. Heck, probably close to a year.
yeah, because only CPS1/2/NeoGeo roms are too big for RAM

oh wait

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Most of the roms worth playing will run like crap though.. :-/ Xbox just doesnt have the specs to be a good mame box.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
As great as MAMEoX is, I don't fuk w/ it since it's so picky and most of the games I fuk w/ are from Psyiko and Cave which require more memory than most other arcade games. That and the fact that it's picky about rom sets.

This offers incentive though.

Most of the roms worth playing will run like crap though

Not true. If the game will run, it will run at damn near 100%. It doesn't choke at all on CPS/CPS2 games, or Neo Geo for that matter. And those are what matters most IMO.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Most of the roms worth playing will run like crap though.. :-/ Xbox just doesnt have the specs to be a good mame box.

IAWTP

DaCocoBrova said:
Not true. If the game will run, it will run at damn near 100%.

Damn near 100% is one thing, but 100% is another. Some people are absolutely anal about getting full, 100% locked speed on the 99% of games that run on Mame, including me. The thought of watching a game slow down because the box doesn't have enough CPU power and memory makes me cringe. Having a high-spec desktop PC(2.4gig or higher) configured for just for mame/kawaks/zsnes/etc is the way to go, especially with the smaller towers they are making nowadays that are the same size or smaller than an Xbox. IMNSHO.

Damn near 100% is one thing, but 100% is another. Some people are absolutely anal about getting full, 100% locked speed on the 99% of games that run on Mame, including me. The thought of watching a game slow down because the box doesn't have enough CPU power and memory makes me cringe. Having a high-spec desktop PC(2.4gig or higher) configured for just for mame/kawaks/zsnes/etc is the way to go, especially with the smaller towers they are making nowadays that are the same size or smaller than an Xbox. IMNSHO.

The way you act in these topics really suggests you haven't even played with a modded Xbox.

This simply isn't true. Mameox will play quite a lot of roms, as opposed to the previous MameX. With virtual memory, it will play even more. Again, like isamu I suspect you haven't thoroughly tested and played with a modded Xbox.

aku:jiki

PanopticBlue said:
This simply isn't true. Mameox will play quite a lot of roms, as opposed to the previous MameX. With virtual memory, it will play even more. Again, like isamu I suspect you haven't thoroughly tested and played with a modded Xbox.
I will agree that calling it "crap" is an exaggeration, but I do challenge you to find me even one game that runs in full framerate in MAMEoX. :p

Not that I care, personally, I can live with it if it means I can play games I never would've gotten to play otherwise.

Renegade

Banned
God, everything has a hate squad here...

To the doubters: Most of Xport's emulators have netplay and it works pretty well. Not Kaillera, but more akin to ZSNES netplay. Secondly, Xport is looking at the lightgun code for MAMEoX Ressurection. Meaning that if you MAMEoX you can use the lightgun on lightgun games. Can you boast the same for MAME on PC?

Now, for the people interested in this project: Please help out in any way you can. XPort needs you all to put in a list of games that have Malloc errors (memory allocation) in MAMEoX .79 but work perfectly or playable in MAME .79 for the PC

http://www.digitalhosting.ca/mamedb/

There, you look up the games you are certain do not work in MAMEoX due to memory but works in MAME on PC and give the status on them. He will take those games per case and add Virtual Memory management to them, meaning they will most likely be playable.

tenchir

Vagabond said:
To the doubters: Most of Xport's emulators have netplay and it works pretty well. Not Kaillera, but more akin to ZSNES netplay. Secondly, Xport is looking at the lightgun code for MAMEoX Ressurection. Meaning that if you MAMEoX you can use the lightgun on lightgun games. Can you boast the same for MAME on PC?

Boast the same for MAME on PC? Isn't the lightgun code he is looking at based on the PC codes? *boggle* Every single features that has been implemented in MAMEoX has been in MAME for years. I'm not doubting, but you shouldn't put down the PC/MAC version.

I will agree that calling it "crap" is an exaggeration, but I do challenge you to find me even one game that runs in full framerate in MAMEoX.

Ah you haters are just asking for it... I just now sampled a handful of games at random (just to humor you) maybe just maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me before cause I already knew they ran at full framerate but just now I played these games:

Alien vs Predator
Dangun Feveron
Jackal
Marble Madness
Space Harrier
Super Contra

Every one of those runs at 60 fps. You asked for one, I gave you six. And that's just a small sample. There are definately games in Mameox that don't run at full framerate (Mortal Kombat series for example) but there are just as many that play 100% as there are that don't.

Besides, Mameox is the weakest emu on Xbox anyway. The other emus (snes, genesis, nes, cps1, cps2, neo geo) ALL run at 100%.

Top Bottom