• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games Showcase Deep Dive | Avowed Gameplay

Like... who decided these character designs were good?

oikTBOU.png

qK3EwRE.png

CEv2jk1.png

Yeh I saw that combat and then the conversation with the character in the second screenshot you posted and I came to the conclusion that it somehow looks worse than what they showed last time.

It looks awful, somehow the hand to hand combat looks worse than vanilla Skyrim.
I got serious Daikatana vibes from the frog killing gameplay.

I got serious Daikatana vibes from the frog killing gameplay.
that means in 20 years we'll be talking about how this game was ahead of its time or something.

I see people saying this all over, but they didn't look shitty like this from far away and pixelized. It was much grittier in the Pillars games and this is a poor version of it. The portraits from Pillars all look much better too. This is crap.
Art is subjective and you got a right to your own opinion. personally nothing about this is bothersome. The combat might be a bigger issue than people are complaining about characters looking whack.

Also, dont forget that the deep dives are all being streamed on compressed 1080p- this is a 4k - (60fps?) game, it might actually look better on a better stream.

T4keD0wN

The footage from last year has looked better.
Melee especially looks very underwhelming, as long as it has no major performance issue and the writing is as good as their previous stuff ill still play it, but deninitely as a mage and at the lowest difficulty and/or with cheats. Wish they had just done another birds-eye-view game instead.

that means in 20 years we'll be talking about how this game was ahead of its time or something.

Art is subjective and you got a right to your own opinion. personally nothing about this is bothersome. The combat might be a bigger issue than people are complaining about characters looking whack.

Also, dont forget that the deep dives are all being streamed on compressed 1080p- this is a 4k - (60fps?) game, it might actually look better on a better stream.
Or maybe the 1080p stream is actually doing a service to this game.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Or maybe the 1080p stream is actually doing a service to this game.
I can't watch this until later.

I just don't know what people expected I guess. The last trailer already was showcasing the best visuals in an Obsidian game ever. They aren't a AAA huge studio and the best looking stuff they've made was Pentiment and South Park visually. Them making a lower budget Skyrim in Unreal 5 at all is kind of a huge step up for them.

clarky

Gold Member
This actually looks a lot better than the last showing.

Character designs are shite but hopefully its well written and has good systems and story.

Quantum253

Gold Member
Ooof those designs dear god. The environment I don't mind but whoa. The sword swipes are quite bad sadly, and way too much of the same enemy. Also looks like a Guardians characters at home vibe.
My first thought was the sword swinging and enemy strikes didn't have any weight. That the two were separate. But that could be something fixed in the final build.

Reactions: Isa

Isa

My first thought was the sword swinging and enemy strikes didn't have any weight. That the two were separate. But that could be something fixed in the final build.
Good point. I'm not sure though, they are good at getting things out in a decent enough timeframe and on a budget, but that usually comes at the expense of other things. I think its both budget(money&time) and skill issues. Hopefully it works itself out.

Okay? - dont play it then?
I'm not sure why it feels like your taking this so personally. You have the choice to just never play it.
I like Obsidian and I'm really let down by this game, especially considering the initial announcement that had a really cool tone and cool art. This sucks in comparison, like something that changed course halfway through the project. It also feels like a game that DEI is absolutely destroying. I hope I'm wrong, but every single new thing from this game makes it looks worse than the last time I saw it. ES6 can't arrive soon enough dammit.

Red5

Looks like a good real time based dungeon crawler to be honest, having it set in the POE universe is a bonus, hope we get to see some characters from those games.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Normally I don't mind a lot of color in games, but this coupled with these strange characters.... Well, I'll test it anyway. Maybe it's better than it looks.

I like Obsidian and I'm really let down by this game, especially considering the initial announcement that had a really cool tone and cool art. This sucks in comparison, like something that changed course halfway through the project. It also feels like a game that DEI is absolutely destroying. I hope I'm wrong, but every single new thing from this game makes it looks worse than the last time I saw it. ES6 can't arrive soon enough dammit.
The initial CGI trailer from a few years ago- that made it look just like every other souls-type Rpg? - Ima disagree with you on that, but to each their own.
I have no idea where you are getting DEI as the reason for ruining anything?- the chat options all look typical Obsidian from NV to Outer Worlds. Like are the people in the game too colourful or something? Can you elaborate? I honestly would like to know your take on the DEI impact.

Also, from watching the showcase, the initial combat being stiff was mainly due to the character not levelling up their weapons. The combat seemed like a typical fps melee combat game after that.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Has somebody (especially PoE fans) asked for this game?

Once again, it something that's looking like a Eurojank game developed like Spiders/Focus, not something from Obsidian/MS.

Top Bottom