• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games Showcase Deep Dive | Avowed Gameplay

Sleepwalker

Lumen on display lol.

Anyway,- hopefully they get this out the door quick so they can maybe try their hand at a fallout spinoff ill actually be interested in

Oh man that combat for the first 40 seconds against the little mushroom tree enemies is bad. How could Obsidian have screwed this? I hope one day we found out what happened to this project, I refuse to believe this was their original vision which sold MS on purchasing the studio.
If you weren't listening to it as well, they were discussing how their gear isn't good enough for the enemies in this region, then they went on to upgrade it.

nikolino840

Like... who decided these character designs were good?

oikTBOU.png

qK3EwRE.png

CEv2jk1.png

ungalo

I'll play it for the roleplay but really the artistic direction is atrocious. It's a shame, some level of immersion is needed in this kind of game.

Ozriel

M$FT
Lumen on display lol.

Anyway,- hopefully they get this out the door quick so they can maybe try their hand at a fallout spinoff ill actually be interested in

I’d imagine that as soon as this releases, the team helps out with The Outer Worlds 2 development.

Oh man that combat for the first 40 seconds against the little mushroom tree enemies is bad. How could Obsidian have screwed this?

...They literally explain in the video why the combat is that way in that encounter.

Still, it certainly could use some more polish.

iHaunter

This is looking so good, and it's great seeing all the improvements from the last showing.
Crazy Eyes Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Side note: The initial trailer of this game was amazing. The end result... eh. I might still play it when I do a GP one month drop. Definitely not worth a buy. Maybe reviews will show more. Just looks bland? Like oblivion without the charm. We'll see.

Oh man that combat for the first 40 seconds against the little mushroom tree enemies is bad. How could Obsidian have screwed this? I hope one day we found out what happened to this project, I refuse to believe this was their original vision which sold MS on purchasing the studio.
Lol isn’t that the point of that section? They literally said they are way under leveled for the area

Looks like they upgraded a lot since Dev Direct. Combat looks a lot better. Love to see that there are lots of dialogue options.
November can't come soon enough.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Watched it. I still think its going to be good.

Mixed bag at points for sure. Some stuff looks great like the environments. Some stuff looks a little jank at times.

I'll reserve final judgment for when I can get absorbed and actually explore and listen to the music and story.

If the story delivers, there's more than enough here to be a fun mid tier RPG.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Environments look nice but everything else looks really rough and just not really up to snuff for a 2024 RPG. I said before I thought MS would delay this but it seems like they are forging ahead.

Probably because these characterizations have already been established in the Pillars games already.
Oh that game where everything was designed for a distant top down viewpoint?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

eh ?

It's not like the game is using the exact same sprites, it's taking those designs and making them for a 3D view. If they were making a game set in the PoE universe but changing designs, you'd have lore nuts crying about that too.

diffusionx

Gold Member
eh ?

It's not like the game is using the exact same sprites, it's taking those designs and making them for a 3D view. If they were making a game set in the PoE universe but changing designs, you'd have lore nuts crying about that too.
The point is some character race could be written for text and designed to look cool in top down but look stupid in close up first person 3D… which seems to be the case here.

I agree that lore nuts, such that they are for a franchise that is not that popular, might be upset at changes made.

Brother(?), wait till you find out women die their hair sometimes in natural colours. That DEI long con has been going for centuries!

Also if we are gonna trash random coloured hair women devs, lets perhaps not use one who was part of of two projects from Obsidian that were nominated by the writers guild of america.. one of which she was co-lead on for writing.

Yeah so you'd agree that artistic liberties would be taken to make it work in a 3d manner?
I can understand you saying the combat looks clunky and what not, but the skill trees and abilities they showed in the deep dive did look interesting. To each their own dude.

Personally, i get sorta of a Kingdoms of Amalur vibe from the game. That game looked so meh but when i actually played it, i thoroughly enjoyed it. As for the environments i get the vibe is sorta like the og Fable games mixed with a bit of Fallout . If anything, its on gamepass and just warrants a try.

I truly do not understand people putting down games that can be at least tried out for free without any additional cost. Imo, There's such a lack of diverse game genre's from larger publishers out there that perhaps just having a RPG game that is different helps break up the monotony.

ZehDon

Looks a little rough, but a lot of the value in Obsidian's work comes from the parts coming together to tell their stories. And, maybe I'm just old, but it's nice to have people trying things other than prototypical fantasy trappings. It's on Game Pass, so no loss trying it out.

Keyword here is 'natural colors'.
Technically, if someone dyes their hair, no colour is "natural".

StereoVsn

holy crap! & here i thought outer worlds was disappointing. this almost sets a whole new standard of utter lack of imagination/originality combined with awful/ugly character/enemy design. &, to top it all off? what else but everyone's favorite: 'banter'? no. stop. please: just stay away...
Yep, it’s just sad to see how far Obsidian has fallen. Especially with their characters and dialogue.

salva

I reckon this will be a 7-8/10 game. Nothing groundbreaking, but a 'good' obsidian style fantasy RPG that will scratch (maybe just partially) the itch until ES6 releases.

Last edited:
Top Bottom