• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Indie Games Make Their Own Summer of Arcade - Winter Uprising (1st Week Dec)

Gowans

Some of the top devs on the Xbox Indies have taken matters into their own hands with the lack of MS promotion and are making their own Summer of Arcade style promotion called Winter Uprising.

If you thought that the XBox Live Indie Games service was just filled
with massage apps, clones, and garbage, think again! We are fighting
back against mediocrity and lameness in the best way we know how – by
releasing amazing games! Mark your calendars, because the first week
of December is going to be the best week of gaming the service has
ever seen. With new games from veteran developers like Ska Studios and
Radiangames alongside promising newcomers, there's something for
everyone here. Check out the lineup!

The Games:

Soulcaster 2
Equal parts dungeon crawler, strategy and adventure, MagicalTimeBean's
follow-up to the critically-acclaimed Soulcaster features an all-new
set of worlds to explore and a soundtrack glossed in late-80's redbook
audio excess. Also: exploding skeletons

Cthulhu Saves the World
The next RPG from the creators of the popular parody RPG, Breath of
Death VII: The Beginning, Cthulhu Saves the World features a new
16-bit visual style, a fantastic soundtrack, sophisticated yet
streamlined gameplay, and an epic tale of insanity, romance, and
redemption. Save the world to destroy it!

Radiangames Crossfire 2
Crossfire 2 features all new upgrades and weapons systems, along
with two main modes. Play through Conquest mode with a friend and
save your progress through 60 all-new waves and new enemy types, or
play Score Attack and match your best scores against your friends and
the world.

Chu's Dynasty
Chu's Dynasty combines the strategic fighting of street-fighter with
the multi-tiered 4 player mayhem of super-smash brothers. Chu's then
adds a new twist to the genre with time manipulation. Over 2 years in
the making.

Alpha Squad
Alpha Squad is an adventure game that has mechanics primarily used in
dual-stick shooters, to keep the action fast and heavy as you explore
the world and its characters. Up to 4 player co-op, a customizable
storyline, large world, unforgettable weapons, music from Stemage of
Metroid Metal, and art from industry veterans.

Epic Dungeon
The ultimate dungeon crawling experience! Multiple character classes
and fast paced gameplay make Epic Dungeon one of the most enjoyable
roguelikes to date.

Break Limit
Prepare to go mind-numbingly fast as you Blast, Smash and Break Limit
through every one and thing in your way! Featuring classic arcade
style play - will you survive to be the champion of our online
scoreboard, or will you end up a grease spot on the first asteroid you
see?

Decimation X3
Decimation X3 is an intense retro shoot ’em up with insane firepower,
progressive defenses, and a never-ending vast assortment of power-ups.
It is a classic 2D gallery shooter with elementary controls
(left/right motion and fire) set in fast paced action that jumps into
arcade game play immediately for instant gratification. Runs at a
smooth 60 fps. Sequel to the #1 rated Xbox LIVE Indie Game in Japan,
Decimation X, following the “Empower the Player” philosophy proven by
two-time Dream Build Play finalist, Duality ZF.

Asteroids Do Concern Me
Test your piloting skills in this addictive one button action game.
Featuring five different modes of asteroid dodging fun. The odds of
surviving this game are 3720 to 1. Have you got the minerals?

Hypership Out of Control (Update)
Space is a dangerous placed for even the most seasoned starship pilot,
full of asteroids, multicolored floating blocks, and space mines. It's
even more dangerous when you your accelerator is stuck to the floor
and your brakes are out. Can you survive long enough to get that
elusive high score or are you destined to add a new crater to the face
of an unsuspecting asteroid? Find out in this retro gaming tour de
force featuring 10 Waves (forward and backwards), 5 game modes, 1 to 4
player co-op, and online high scores.

Aphelion: Episode Two: Wings of Omega
The conclusion to one of the most popular RPG franchises on XBox Live
Indie Games, players will reprise the role of Savion Mercarte as they
pick up where Episode One: Graves of Earth left off. Featuring
numerous new features and enhancements like improved animations, more
side quests and optional content, faster paced combat, a new playable
character, and much, much more!

ZP2KX: Zombies & Pterodactyls!
In a dystopian future where humans love guns and zombies just want to
be left alone, the pterodactyls have seen to it that everyone has to
be miserable together. Take your jetpack online and splatter some
fools with blades, guns, grenades, and other instruments of mayhem.
Earn XP, level up, unlock features, clothes, and skills! Build awesome
classes! From the developer of I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES!!!1 1NIT!!!1
and The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai.

Ubergridder
You are in deep space, and nasty one-eyed tentacle toting aliens have
broken your spaceship. Help Robert the maintenance robot repair the
spaceship, one grid at a time.

Rickenbacker vs. the Aliens
Rickenbacker vs the Aliens is a cel shaded 2D shooter where you fly
Eddie Rickenbacker's SPAD against a relentless enemy rendered in a
1930's movie serial style. Bomb ground targets as you defend yourself
against an arial barrage, fighting your way to victory for Earth.

One week. Over a dozen great games. Prices as low as 80 to 400 Microsoft points.
Prepare yourself, because the first week of December is going to be
legendary. The Indie Games Winter Uprising is coming!
http://www.indiegames-uprising.com/

Shurs

None of the Indie games have really "done it" for me, aside from Apple Jack and Miner Dig Deep.

With all of the great options at retail and on XBLA, the Indie Games feel like a step backwards.

Gowans

Dabanton said:
Nice i've recently got into buying some of these indie games and there is good stuff on there.
Yeah it's good to see the better devs working together to help themselves and the service.

Looking forward to quite a bit on here, hopefully this promotion helps them get some attention from the media and gamers.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Aren't some of those games already on the service?

I'm not familiar with the Indie Games tab on Xbox Marketplace, but are those new games coming out or discounted games or simply a "look at our cool games, forget about those fart and massage apps!" move by the developers?

I'm fine with either of these scenarios described above. Anything to inject more awesomeness in the XBLIG is fair deal to me. I'm just wondering wtf is it.

Rad-

Soulcaster 2
Equal parts dungeon crawler, strategy and adventure, MagicalTimeBean's
follow-up to the critically-acclaimed Soulcaster features an all-new
set of worlds to explore and a soundtrack glossed in late-80's redbook
audio excess. Also: exploding skeletons

Sequel to the best XNA game, finally!!!

Gowans

drizzle said:
Aren't some of those games already on the service?

I'm not familiar with the Indie Games tab on Xbox Marketplace, but are those new games coming out or discounted games or simply a "look at our cool games, forget about those fart and massage apps!" move by the developers?

I'm fine with either of these scenarios described above. Anything to inject more awesomeness in the XBLIG is fair deal to me. I'm just wondering wtf is it.

Think of it as an arranged showcase of new stuff launching at the same time.
Hypership is getting a update and some are sequels.

I can not wait for Decimation X3 and Crossfire too, love the originals.

Very cool. Good on them for taking matters into their own hands and working together.

I think it was very smart to include a fair number of sequels to some of the better known Indies. Crossfire, Decimation and Soulcaster sequels will get my attention. Liked the trials of all three, but haven't picked up any of them. I'll try to correct that during this promotion.

Gowans

Yeah I think they have done really well with it, would be a great gesture if MS threw them a dash ad for this.

Simon I really need to try Breath of Death, I haven't had the time to sit down with it yet.

Shurs said:
None of the Indie games have really "done it" for me, aside from Apple Jack and Miner Dig Deep.

With all of the great options at retail and on XBLA, the Indie Games feel like a step backwards.

If you like Apple Jack, did you try Johnny Platform and Banana Split? There's something about the UK and weird platformers featuring foodstuff.

Shurs

HadesGigas said:
If you like Apple Jack, did you try Johnny Platform and Banana Split? There's something about the UK and weird platformers featuring foodstuff.

I did try one Johnny Platform title. Is there a Christmas one?

I guess that, for me, a lot of these games feel like evolutionary dead ends, design-wise.

Shurs

toythatkills said:
Yeah.

What does that mean?

It means that, for the most part, the Indie Games that I played have felt like 16-bit era (or earlier) experiences, gameplay-wise. It's hard to get excited about Indie Games that feel like a poor man's version of games available on XBLA.

fernoca

Can't they get someone from Microsoft to put at least some banner in the Dashboard, advertising this "event"? Is not like they need this uber graphic designers and hours of work to create something that says "Indie Games Winter Uprsing: Check them here!!" or something like that.

EDIT:
Oh! Added 'Cthulhu Saves the World' too. Loved Breath of Death.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Shurs said:
It means that, for the most part, the Indie Games that I played have felt like 16-bit era (or earlier) experiences, gameplay-wise. It's hard to get excited about Indie Games that feel like a poor man's version of games available on XBLA.
so don't get excited for them and just play them and have fun, which, I'm sorry to tell you, is kind of the point of video games, and not getting blown the fuck away by every new thing.

fernoca said:
Can't they get someone from Microsoft to put at least some banner in the Dashboard, advertising this "event"? Is not like they need this uber graphic designers and hours of work to create something that says "Indie Games Winter Uprsing: Check them here!!" or something like that.

EDIT:
Oh! Added 'Cthulhu Saves the World' too. Loved Breath of Death.

MS won't advertise this, especially not before the fact. I mean technically theres no guarantee any of the games will pass peer review in time. Though they probably will.

fernoca

HadesGigas said:
MS won't advertise this, especially not before the fact. I mean technically theres no guarantee any of the games will pass peer review in time. Though they probably will.
Darn disappointing. :/

By the way, every time I see your avatar I wonder if Kamiya or someone from Platinum could make it as an Indie Game at least. :lol

Gowans

Exclamation-One said:
This thread might be served better with screenshots. =)

Support indie devs!
Some devs havn't released much yet. I'll update it tomorrow with what I can get from the linked sites.

Ettie said:
Epic Dungeon, hell yes!

Can you get "review code" for titles like this?

I don't think you can get play pre-release unless you are a Creators Club member or the developer makes a PC build. Post release MS gives developers a lot (100?) codes to give out to reviewers or use for promotions.

Ettie

HadesGigas said:
I don't think you can get play pre-release unless you are a Creators Club member or the developer makes a PC build. Post release MS gives developers a lot (100?) codes to give out to reviewers or use for promotions.

Good to know, thanks much.

That is nice end all if only XNA was in Holland so the indie games where downloadable here.......

Anyway hopefully it works out for them like summer does for XBLA

Exclamation-One said:
This thread might be served better with screenshots. =)

Support indie devs!

Soulcaster II
RiverRapids1.png

Cthulhu Saves the World
4.png

Chu's Dynasty
Trailer

Alpha Squad
Trailer

Epic Dungeon
Trailer
ss1.jpg

Break Limit
Trailer

Asteroids Do Concern Me
ERL_002-2010-11-14-02-41-05-54.jpg

Aphelion Episode II
aphelionep2_combatscreenshot2.jpg

Ubergridder
Trailer

Rickenbacker vs The Aliens
screen2.png

nli10

Shurs said:

I agree - A LOT of the decent stuff on there is things I've been playing for the past decade as freeware and better polished as proper games. This doesn't stop me from loving the genuinely good and innovative games I've bought. This doesn't stop you guys who HAVEN'T had your fill of these yet from loving and buying them all. It's a market and while I'm loving my picks you are loving yours - it's great!

MotorStorm is my go-to racing game for the Xbox - I have full priced ones but this has the most fun per minute of any recent racing game. I would love a way to list the XBLIG that I have got (I can on the Xbox, but not while on the website).

Juggle is a great post gaming relax, and the fact that people got upset by it's £2 pricing worries me for the future of Indie Studios and the service. Denki have been pretty quiet about Quarrel's chances since it came out. :(

Anyway - the point for me posting.

I HEREBY PLEDGE TO DOWNLOAD THE DEMO FOR EVERY GAME THAT IS OFFICIALLY PART OF THE WINTER UPRISING

and to play them too. I even have a points card on the way especially.

I encourage others to do the same (and nearer the time I'm thinking a big Twitter splurge) and to promote them via their own outlets. Not sure how I'll mention it on our food blog, but I'll manage somehow.

Great idea on the part of the developers. Indie developers need to start realizing that the power to sell their games is in their hands, not Microsoft's. If GAF was kind enough maybe this could get a sticky.

wwm0nkey

Its really great to see all these indie developers band together, would be great if Microsoft would honor them and put an ad up on the dash.

Ventron

HadesGigas said:

50 codes.

I hope this causes a long-term revival in interest of Indie Games, there are a lot of great games that are coming but won't be ready in time for this promotion.

gogojira

I don't know, I think they should have spread it out over more than a week. Most of them will probably end up being just as overlooked as they've always been.

Noogy

The service is really coming into its own. Some of these newest titles are just incredibly polished and fun. I've spent so much time with Epic Dungeon, that I can easily say it's already my favorite roguelike (even more than Sword of Fargoal). Soulcaster 2 and Cthulhu are both givens as well, and are both great fun.

ShapeGSX

sillymonkey321 said:
Do Indie games still have that DRM where you can't play them unless you are online?

The reason for this is because the games aren't rated. If any restricted material makes it into an indie game, Microsoft will disable the game and refund your spent points. In order to enforce this, they need you to be online every time you play any indie game.

There is a KB article on this on Microsoft's web site.

Feep

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
:lol :lol :lol

On a related note, I tried my best to get my game done in time for this promotion, but I was unable to do so. I'll be releasing it around March instead.

I will also blackmail all of you in an attempt to raise sales.

Ventron

xbhaskarx said:
Interesting... I thought XBIG devs couldn't control when their games came out?

They can't. But what will happen is they'll put it all in Peer Review at a coordinated time and do their best to get as many reviews as possible.
The hyped games always go through review fastest because of how many they get. radiangames Fluid got through in less than a day.

Stumpokapow said:

Needs more Samuel L Jackson avatar.

Top Bottom