• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Indie Games Make Their Own Summer of Arcade - Winter Uprising (1st Week Dec)

Ventron

afternoon delight said:
This. It's the only Indie game that looks even close to remotely worth the money.

Not true in the slightest.

I'm a Creators Club premium and have played some of these games that have been submitted to playtest. If anyone has any questions about them I can try to answer them. The games I've played so far have all been outstanding.

Strangely, though, I haven't seen any sign of Aphelion 2. For such a complicated game coming out so soon I thought there'd at least be a playtest let alone some statements from the developer but he's been silent as a rock. Maybe its his crunch time...

Ventron

GodfatherX said:
have you played Decimation X3?

if so what improvements over the original are there? did they add online leader boards?

That game isn't in playtest yet.

So far I've done CSTW, Epic Dungeon, Soulcaster 2 and I'm about to start Break Limit.

I'm looking forward to all of these games. Strange how some can argue that their tastes have "evolved" though. Maybe it's just me as I can still pick up a game even if it's on the Atari 2600.

Gowans

GodfatherX said:
have you played Decimation X3?

if so what improvements over the original are there? did they add online leader boards?
Man I really hope they have online leaderboards thudding, insure they tried in the first.

I need to be able to tell how crap I am ;)

wwm0nkey

I just want to play ZP2KX again, I got to play it in playtest right before my subscription ended and it was awesome. Im sure he doesnt want me to say more than that so i wont.

Noogy

NemesisPrime said:
Epic Dungeon with professional artwork would totally rule. Right now... it burns my eyes.
The artwork in that game is what drew me to it in the first place, and the gameplay has kept me hooked. I love how it looks, and I'm not a particularly big fan of modern pixel art.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
NemesisPrime said:
Epic Dungeon with professional artwork would totally rule. Right now... it burns my eyes.
I was thinking the same thing. :lol

edit: Maybe not professional, per se.. but at least a step over "MS Paint" art.

edit: The game looks AWESOME though, so it's probably bought anyway.

edit: What he (vvv) said.

ShapeGSX said:
The reason for this is because the games aren't rated. If any restricted material makes it into an indie game, Microsoft will disable the game and refund your spent points. In order to enforce this, they need you to be online every time you play any indie game.

There is a KB article on this on Microsoft's web site.
sadly, that's the reason i don't buy them, even with my bucket of free points.

Gowans

IndieGames.com have put out a podcast arround the Winter Uprising

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2010/11/indiegamescom_podcast_9_indie.html

IndieGames.com Podcast #9: Indie Games Winter Uprising

It's podcast time! With the announcement regarding the Xbox Live Indie Games Winter Uprising last week, we wanted to know more - so we grabbed a couple of the organisers and had words with them on the ol' podcast. Robert Boyd of Zeboyd Games and Luke Schneider of Radiangames were all too willing to divulge all the details.

Before we got the scoop, however, we talked to each of them in depth about their games, what we can expect from them in the future and what they truly think of the Xbox Live Indie Games service. Both are of course highly respected XBLIG developers, so we were more than willing to hear out their opinions about what could be done to remove the stigma from the XBLIG service.

As always, you have a number of options: Jump below the cut to listen to the podcast right now - or perhaps you'd like to head over here and listen to it instead. Are you more of an iTunes sorta person? You can find every episode of the podcast on iTunes too. Finally, we have an RSS feed you can subscribe too. Huzzah!

Direct Download - 42:40

ZP2KX trailer

Official site

ZP2KX-S5.jpg

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Is this gonna happen this week (Dec 1st) or next week (Dec 5th)? I'm not really sure what they mean by "First week of December."

Thats a cool idea and I will check these out for the first time since it launched but that is way too many games to be featured. The summer of arcade was FIVE GAMES and everyone knew what they were, but fourteen?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
futnownarcade said:
Thats a cool idea and I will check these out for the first time since it launched but that is way too many games to be featured. The summer of arcade was FIVE GAMES and everyone knew what they were, but fourteen?

Remember how cheap these games could be. I can agree that it might be nicer to have, say, 3 games a week for all of december, 1 bonus to start and end. However, it's pretty cool to think that pretty much the entire "top 20" could really be made of fantastic games for once.

Oh, and hypership isn't a new game, but just an update to an old one, so... that's kinda better, right?

SapientWolf said:
Is this gonna happen this week (Dec 1st) or next week (Dec 5th)? I'm not really sure what they mean by "First week of December."
This week. Apparently Epic Dungeon has passed and could even be out today.

Ace trailer :)

Great idea to sort of band together for this "event" to attempt to get some sort of media attention. Hopefully it works out for them. To be honest I havent checked out the Indie Games since it launched.

Crossfire 2 looks right up my alley, aesthetically at least.
Stupid MS and being unable to buy Indie games here. May finally make a UK Gamertag.

Cronox

Banned
Why can't they release this stuff on steam...

Rhetorical of course.

Been trying out indie games lately too, though I was running out of points. Cthulu looks interesting though.

Cronox said:
Why can't they release this stuff on steam...

Rhetorical of course.

Been trying out indie games lately too, though I was running out of points. Cthulu looks interesting though.

Steam is pickier with it's releases than it might seem. Especially for indie games without backing from any sort of publisher.

I know the developer of BoD/Cthulu has at least considered going for a Steam release of the two games as a bundle in the future, though. Not sure he'd get accepted, but maybe being one of the bigger fish in Xbox Indies would help that.

Ventron

Break Limit has been approved and should be available tomorrow.

Chu's Dynasty looks like it will miss the Uprising because they improperly marked the features of the game. If you pull a game or it fails review, you cannot put it up again for a week.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ventron said:
Break Limit has been approved and should be available tomorrow.

Chu's Dynasty looks like it will miss the Uprising because they improperly marked the features of the game. If you pull a game or it fails review, you cannot put it up again for a week.
Wow, that's harsh. Has ZP2KX been submitted yet or is it gonna be the closer?

Ventron

SapientWolf said:
Wow, that's harsh. Has ZP2KX been submitted yet or is it gonna be the closer?

Hasn't been submitted yet. And there's also murmuring of Cthulhu missing out due to needing more dev time (but unconfirmed).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ventron said:
Hasn't been submitted yet. And there's also murmuring of Cthulhu missing out due to needing more dev time (but unconfirmed).
AK-47 That Fires Cats [Gift Crate Item]
aka “Kitty Cannon”
This is the one weapon that engineers have yet to figure out how it operates. Simply put, it’s an AK-47 that, instead of firing metal projectiles, launches out real, live and extremely ferocious cats at a rapid rate. Meow!

ATW-ATS Rainbow 2X [Gift Crate Item]
aka “Double Rainbow”
Utilizing rainbow technology discovered back during the Leprechaun Gold Hunt of the 1940s, the Rainbow 2X fires two, yes TWO rainbows out of its barrel putting anyone unfortunate enough to cross its multicolored path in a state of “stuck”. While its long-term effects aren’t known, short-term effects are instantly apparent as subjects chuckle uncontrollably and magically float in the air for a short period of time.
Reading through the weapon list isn't making the wait any easier. :lol

Fuck I've managed to equip three cursed items in at once in Epic Dungeon. Good thing I have my eyebot buddy to take care of business.

Maybe I should stop equipping things and hoping they're not cursed, figured surely after the sword and armor was that the ring wouldn't be!

Good thing I've never even seen the uncurse potion.

Edit: Hell yeah found a remove curse scroll. Thankfully it took care of all of them instead of just one.

Zeouterlimits said:
Crossfire 2 looks right up my alley, aesthetically at least.
Stupid MS and being unable to buy Indie games here. May finally make a UK Gamertag.

No one knows why indie games are available in some places and not others and the reasons could be almost anything.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I guess James Silva is pretty confident that ZP2KX will pass cert (if it hasn't already):

SkaStudiosTwitterFeed said:
Looks like ZP2KX will be available on Xbox LIVE Indie Games sometime next week.

Some real crap-looking* games just came out. I thought everyone was gonna stop peer-reviewing this sort of stuff for a few days!

(*they could yet turn out to be awesome, judging games by their covers here.)

Epic Dungeon developer interview:
http://www.xblaratings.com/developer-qaa/3440-epic-dungeon-developer-interview

Question: Was there anything you were hoping to get into Epic Dungeon that did not make it?

I have a few ideas, and I’m hoping to do a few patch releases in the coming months. Epic Dungeon was developed with expansion in mind, so it’s quite easy for me to add features. I’m really eager to hear what ideas pop up from the players themselves.

That said, I have a few more ambitious ideas that will probably affect core mechanics of the game, so I’ll have to save them for Epic Dungeon 2! Specifically, I would really like to have completely different skill trees for the classes, and maybe even add some more classes with more unique and interesting skills. We’ll see what the future brings.

Overall, though, I think Epic Dungeon offers a solid and enjoyable experience as-is, so I’m quite happy with this release.

Question: Now that Epic Dungeon has released are you planning another Indie game?

I’m definitely sticking with Epic Dungeon for now. I want to make sure that it offers players the best possible experience. Once I think I’ve done all that I can do with Epic Dungeon I’ll definitely move on to another Indie game. And, most likely, that will be Epic Dungeon 2.

Top Bottom