• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Indie Games Make Their Own Summer of Arcade - Winter Uprising (1st Week Dec)

ShogunX

wwm0nkey said:
ZP2KX is a lot of fun.

Yeah just had a go of the trial and played with bots and it was great. Lots of weapon variety and the controls and nice and tight just as they should be for a game like this. We should get some sort of GAF group going as I'm sure it would be a lot of fun.

AzBat

GhaleonEB said:
The last update, from last week: http://zeboyd.com/2010/12/06/cthulh...report-indie-games-winter-uprising-extension/

No update since then, but despite his time estimates that reads like a ways from being done. Hopefully soon, though.

Wow. Not that I'm complaining, but it looks like Mr Boyd might have had spent more time on working the promotion than his own game. I think he did a great job though, but they have been discussing about this promotion's marketing & the future on the MSDN forums. No consensus right now, but it looks like the Uprising might turn out to be a once a year event. Personally I think a minimum of twice of year would be great, but even 3 times would work great too. Once a year is not enough.

Anyway, it looks like we're down to 4 games left...

Aphelion Episode 2: Wings of Omega - currently in Peer Review
Alpha Squad
Cthulhu Saves the World
Rickenbacker vs the Aliens

There hasn't been much info released on Alpha Squad(http://twitter.com/DragonDivide) or Rickenbacker vs the Aliens(http://twitter.com/theBigDaddio). They might not make till January.

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
Shogun PaiN said:
Yeah just had a go of the trial and played with bots and it was great. Lots of weapon variety and the controls and nice and tight just as they should be for a game like this. We should get some sort of GAF group going as I'm sure it would be a lot of fun.

I can't find any reviews and I am feeling lazy. How's the multiplayer? How robust are the multiplayer features?

Looks like they're gonna get some sort of recognition from Microsoft:

http://twitter.com/werezompire/
I have some very exciting news for the developers in the Indie Games Winter Uprising. Check your email. :) #IGWU

Let's just say a certain large company has taken notice of our little operation and has offered official support and leave it at that. :)

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to sit this one out since our game isn't out yet, but I'm very excited for the other devs.

Sleep is for the weak. I've got until Tuesday to submit Cthulhu Saves the World for peer review otherwise I miss out. Let's do this!

Let's just say that any IGWU games that are out by Thursday next week are going to get a big boost in sales after Christmas

N4Us

Oh man, ZP2KX looks ridiculous. I'm gonna miss the costumes, though. Camping as a chameleon with a sword was so fun.

JesseZao

They should allow indie games to have achievements, but either make them worth 0 points towards your total (maybe show points when in game) or make a separate total for indie games only.

I haven't played a lot of indie games recently, but I'm assuming there must be some of them out there that have their own self-contained achievement unlocks. Is that the case?

nli10

HadesGigas said:
Looks like they're gonna get some sort of recognition from Microsoft:

http://twitter.com/werezompire/

It would be deserved. I could have essentially bought all the non-shooters blind and still been happy.

Massive Kudos to all - they proved to MS that Indie games are well worth it and frankly Sony & Nintendo need this on their services next gen.

Ed: Cthulu guy has submitted a beta for those with CC access.

I need to get my network sorted ARGH!

JesseZao said:
They should allow indie games to have achievements, but either make them worth 0 points towards your total (maybe show points when in game) or make a separate total for indie games only.

I haven't played a lot of indie games recently, but I'm assuming there must be some of them out there that have their own self-contained achievement unlocks. Is that the case?

MotorHEAT has the most complete Ach. system I've seen so far. It's as polished as any of the uprising games.

JesseZao said:

IMO, only the well reviewed games by the community should get achivements, so shitty silver dollar games get 0 and great efforts get 50 or so.

JesseZao

Relaxed Muscle said:
IMO, only the well reviewed games by the community should get achivements, so shitty silver dollar games get 0 and great efforts get 50 or so.

I guess they could require the games to be 240 pts for achievements so the garbage massage/fart/pictures of women/zombie/avatar games would be too cheap. Or just have an additional peer review for allowing achievements.

Shogun PaiN said:
I'm down. This is the sort of game that's way more fun playing with friends and voice chat.

GT: ParallaxScroll

If you add me, please put something about GAF or ZP2KX in a message or your profile. I get a ton of friend requests from random Pinball FX2 players and I have to decline most of them because I'm almost out of space.

Just picked up Epic Dungeon tonight. I like it a lot except for the controls. I really wish movement and attack were mapped to both sticks instead of just one. I think zooming in with the right stick is completely unnecessary, and there are times where I don't want to be moving and attacking at the same time (say if there's an enemy with a spike trap right behind him.)

Oh well- it was a buck! :lol Can't complain too much. But maybe if whoever made it is reading this, maybe that's something to think about for a future title update.

Edit: emailed the dev. Who knows, maybe he'll put it in.

feel

Bought the zombies and pterodactyls game for just $1 and I feel like I should have paid much more.

The weapons are so much fun, looks gorgeous, allows for creative and badass combat, good controls...

It's so much fun to play online with friends and with a fully implemented leveling-up/rewards/player-investment system (on par with the major $60 releases) on top of it all. Truly a steal.

aren't there 2 zombies & pteradactyles (fuck if i know how to spell it)? i tried out Z&P20XX and it was pretty awesome. thinking about buying it. how is the first one? and is there any single player component to these games?

FrenchMovieTheme said:
aren't there 2 zombies & pteradactyles (fuck if i know how to spell it)? i tried out Z&P20XX and it was pretty awesome. thinking about buying it. how is the first one? and is there any single player component to these games?

Third game, ZP2K5 was the original PC game. Obviously a lot rougher around the edges considering it is really old.
zp2k51_3.jpg

2K9 is a huge leap from that, and 2KX adds a lot of features and pretties everything up further.

Single player is just the multiplayer vs. bots.

HadesGigas said:
Third game, ZP2K5 was the original PC game. Obviously a lot rougher around the edges considering it is really old.
zp2k51_3.jpg

2K9 is a huge leap from that, and 2KX adds a lot of features and pretties everything up further.

Single player isjust the multiplayer vs. bots.

what is that game in your avatar?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I still think Aphelion is a stealth sequel to old PC game Septerra Core!
Having purchased the 2 Soulcaster games (and just beat Soulcaster II!), I'll have to jump onto the Aphelion train next time I wanna XBLIG "splurge".

The game is NOT SDTV friendly, either! That's a bit annoying...

Ricker

Beezy said:
I tried the demo for Aphelion last week. I couldn't deal with the shit animations.

That`s why I didn`t get the first...it`s a little better now but they cleaned up,improved a lot of other things also so I might grab this new one...the trial was an abrupt start though...do you really need the first episode to understand what`s going on?

SAB CA said:
I still think Aphelion is a stealth sequel to old PC game Septerra Core!
Having purchased the 2 Soulcaster games (and just beat Soulcaster II!), I'll have to jump onto the Aphelion train next time I wanna XBLIG "splurge".

The game is NOT SDTV friendly, either! That's a bit annoying...

And yeah it does remind me of Septerra Core a bit.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Letters said:
Bought the zombies and pterodactyls game for just $1 and I feel like I should have paid much more.

The weapons are so much fun, looks gorgeous, allows for creative and badass combat, good controls...

It's so much fun to play online with friends and with a fully implemented leveling-up/rewards/player-investment system (on par with the major $60 releases) on top of it all. Truly a steal.
It reminds me of Soldat, which I played a ton of when I used to hang out in the PA forums. If someone posted that they put up a server, people jumped in it, no exceptions.

Blue Ninja said:
It annoys me that indie games are not available in the European marketplace, or at least not in the Belgian one. ><

You should make an alternate gamertag with it's region in the UK or wherever.

besiktas1

MS should bundle them all together, charge discounted price like psn does. If they were really cool the discount price minus their take. Then push it on dashboard. So it's real cheap and doesn't really take much from the devs.

Once a year. Good pr for both parties.

besiktas1 said:
MS should bundle them all together, charge discounted price like psn does. If they were really cool the discount price minus their take. Then push it on dashboard. So it's real cheap and doesn't really take much from the devs.

I think Microsoft doesn't care that much about their Indie games.

besiktas1 said:

I don't think that's something Xbox Marketplace can do. Only thing that I've ever seen bundled is DLC (like music dlc or the RDR dlc). Which is probably just downloading a different larger combined file instead of the several smaller files.

But they're definitely doing some sort of promotion, not sure it'll be a sale. A discount on something that's a buck would make the developers profit per sale horrible. Hopefully a "buy these get some money back" deal to not screw over people who already bought them and so the developers get the whole 70 cents.

Cthulhu Saves the World just passed peer review! Since there’s a 48 hour minimum between submitting for peer review and going up on the marketplace, it won’t come out immediately, but you don’t have to wait long – it should be up sometime around midnight Wednesday, December 29th.

Thanks again for everyone’s help and support! I think Cthulhu Saves the World is a big improvement over our previous RPG so I hope you all enjoy it!
:D

Noogy

Congrats to the dev team for getting the dashboard recognition :)

Robert's game, Cthulhu Saves the World, just passed peer review, so it should be up shortly. Show a little love... he put all the work into organizing the Winter Uprising, but wasn't able to get his own game into the dashboard promotion in time.

When you buy Cthulhu Saves the World, buy Astroman and Wizard's keep while you're at it. Awesome month for Indie titles.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I have 5600 points from Christmas (plus 300 left over), time to go on an Indie splurge...

Elixist

Noogy said:
Congrats to the dev team for getting the dashboard recognition :)

Robert's game, Cthulhu Saves the World, just passed peer review, so it should be up shortly. Show a little love... he put all the work into organizing the Winter Uprising, but wasn't able to get his own game into the dashboard promotion in time.

When you buy Cthulhu Saves the World, buy Astroman and Wizard's keep while you're at it. Awesome month for Indie titles.

Will check them out:D What's up with Dust? Summer of Arcade perhaps?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The Alpha Squad guys have put out a 10 min Video of Arena Mode gameplay with John McAllister , a guy who holds world records in games such as Asteroids 1 and 2, Robotron and Joust. It might be "shoddy cam footage", but I think it's a cool little bit of marketing strategy.

Also note the article Uprising's Dash Spotlight On Joystiq. Includes a quick trailer and (new?) screens for Cthulha Saves the world.

Still haven't heard anything new for Rickenbacker Vs. The Aliens...

Ricker

Aphelion II is not a bad little RPG,the only downside in what I played so far are the walking/running animations outside of the battles...

GhaleonEB

Great to see the spotlight recognition for the Uprising games. I really hope they are able to make this into some kind of regular occurrence to get the channel more recognition. Here's hoping for a nice sales bump.

I'll be snagging Cthulhu Saves the World as soon as it goes live. I really enjoyed Breath of Death.

JesseZao

Just bought Epic Dungeon and Cthulhu Saves the World and had a lot of fun with both. Epic Dungeon is like a Diablo-lite dungeon crawl with 16?-bit gfx. I think I made it to level 9 and then died so I checked out CStW. CStW has been fun so far and the combat is enjoyable for a turn-based chrono trigger/FF style.

I also tried out Crossfire 2 and will probably get that after passing on 1. Radiangames make a really nice polished product.

Still need to check out the other indies games in this collab, but they are looking great so far.

When playing indie games, does the art show up in the friends list for them? I wanna say I remember back when they were community games, it just said you were playing a community game.

Intruder_qc

Neo Member
@JesseZao

Sadly no, the only thing you will see is that your friend are playing "Indie Games" just blend generic icon/text :-(

Intruder_qc said:
@JesseZao

Sadly no, the only thing you will see is that your friend are playing "Indie Games" just blend generic icon/text :-(
I may be wrong but I think now it tells you what game they're playing in text. No boxart though. I'll check later tonight to make sure.

Top Bottom