• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Just to be sure, Chrysalids can't be captured can they? SO ideally, I want to stay the fuck away from them?

Also, how far can they travel with each move? I don;t know whether to get close to them with the shotgun, which seemed effective if suicidal, or hang back and risk letting them get close when they survive the initial assault
They can move quite far. I deal with them by backing everyone up and keeping them together but making sure they are on Overwatch. If really stuck use a rocket or some grenades but their chitlin armour is worth getting if you just shoot them.

They can move quite far. I deal with them by backing everyone up and keeping them together but making sure they are on Overwatch. If really stuck use a rocket or some grenades but their chitlin armour is worth getting if you just shoot them.

Yeah, think I'm gonna roll with more frag grenades and less medikits/scopes/nano-vests. They do so much damage, and each turn is so important that the medikit was really no help at all. If I destroy some alien architecture, it'll be a shame, but the safety of my soldiers comes first :p

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
How long can I post-pone the assault on
the alien base
? Can I keep scanning for activities at this moment?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Cool thanks. Because right now have an army consisting of one sergeant, 9 rookies and 20 dead veterans.

Is the base difficulty actually harder when you enable ironman or does the challenge simply come from not being able to reload?

Seriously considering going back to normal... It's too difficult. :-(

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
After dropping Ironman I just noticed that there is no longer a random element in shooting, or at least it has been greatly diminished. IE: if you save a mission just before a shootout, the outcome will always be the same, as if the randomness of the game stopped at the moment you end your turn.

It's good in the sense that it's harder to cheat using save files (at best you'd need to start from an earlier point instead of rolling the dice again), yet I can't help but miss the wackiness of the original X-Com.

McNum

It's because computers can't do random. So they use a seed and basically have a long list of numbers to pick from. XCOM saves that seed when you save the game, so you'll always get the same next number unless you somehow manage to advance the list in some other way. With extreme savescumming you might be able to play this to your advantage. Like if you know a lot of misses are coming up, because you did a bunch of high percentage shots that missed, reload the game, end turn and let the aliens use those rolls.

This is pretty much cheating, though, but it should work in theory. It's how a lot of Tool Assisted Speedruns always seem to get just the powerup they need or hit that one in a million shot. They manipulate the random number generator. (And reload thousands of times, which makes it impractical for live play.)

raphier

Banned
After dropping Ironman I just noticed that there is no longer a random element in shooting, or at least it has been greatly diminished. IE: if you save a mission just before a shootout, the outcome will always be the same, as if the randomness of the game stopped at the moment you end your turn.

It's good in the sense that it's harder to cheat using save files (at best you'd need to start from an earlier point instead of rolling the dice again), yet I can't feel but miss the wackiness of the original X-Com.
The seeds are in this game determined at the beginning of the match. Whole your squad has one large list of seeds. So the result is always same with all soldiers on that turn, game (after shot it goes to the next seed). The only reason why I hate is because your percentage doesn't actually do anything.

Actually you can cheat with this. Save at the beginning of the game. Then go fight and write down all the results of gunfights. Then reload the save game and go accordingly. You just have to shoot the bad seeds out.

demidar

No amount of savescumming will save you from 6 cryssalids + cyberdisk + drone. Last time I'll rush into a terror mission lol.

Regarding PC interface, it kinda sucks. By that I mean there's a lot of real estate and they should use it to display helpful information. For example I would like the row of available targets to display hit percentage above each icon, and hit percentages for each action on the action bar as well. Not limited to PCs, making walls/roofs transparent fail sometimes. I had a warehouse with a ground floor and a tiny platform on the second floor, and no amount of changing the level removed the roof and I couldn't see where exactly the muton was up there. Sometimes I would accidentally click a point to move because I didn't know there was an interior there. Remove clicking the weapon you have equipped will reload it, I've died because I accidentally reloaded and the weapon selection box is too faint.

TTG

Either I have the worst luck, or the number of UFOs that pop up for the player to shoot down is really small. Here is a number of problem it created in my case:

1. Because I almost never intercept, I have no idea that my interceptors are out of date. I figure the ship, with a plasma cannon is enough... until one minute I need an altogether new type of ship, I stand no chance at all.

2. It creates an ellerium shortage. Since I never sell any resources that are actually required, when a deal came along for some plasma rifles, I manufactured and sold them without thinking twice(and it was over 2000 in credits!). After which, I built an ellerium power generator and bought expensive items. The result? I can't research anything, including said new ship, because I don't have the ellerium.

3. Because I'm stuck without a new ship at the ready, I had to let 2 encounters with end game UFOs go, resulting in a C grade.

Mind you, I have satellites over every continent and over every European country, this doesn't seem to boost the chances of detecting UFOs at all. It's just another point added to the list of stuff to keep in mind for the next playthrough. Research the new ship, don't accept deals where you have to manufacture a large number of weapons, even if it means a huge amount of cash.

demidar

I think people say if you get those one-use ship boosters that's enough to shoot down bigger UFOs with interceptors.

However I think I have worse luck then you, 3 chyrssalids dogpiled on one guy (thankfully he's still alive. "No problem" I say, my veteran assaults can take them out easy.

2 shots with >90%, 2 misses. FML.

Choc

Banned
ok just beat the alien base on my next game. Seriously guys, what should i be researching etc to boost my ship to take down the big ship thats required next?

i dont know :<

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, nobody can spoiler what the final mission is in here then, huh...
if you talking about my particular post, thats not the final mission.....
Whatever, it's a big one and a very different goal to your average mission.

Sotha Sil

No amount of savescumming will save you from 6 cryssalids + cyberdisk + drone. Last time I'll rush into a terror mission lol.

Regarding PC interface, it kinda sucks. By that I mean there's a lot of real estate and they should use it to display helpful information. For example I would like the row of available targets to display hit percentage above each icon, and hit percentages for each action on the action bar as well. Not limited to PCs, making walls/roofs transparent fail sometimes. I had a warehouse with a ground floor and a tiny platform on the second floor, and no amount of changing the level removed the roof and I couldn't see where exactly the muton was up there. Sometimes I would accidentally click a point to move because I didn't know there was an interior there. Remove clicking the weapon you have equipped will reload it, I've died because I accidentally reloaded and the weapon selection box is too faint.

This is pretty much why I'm not playing ironman anymore; too many UI problems led to my team's untimely death. I don't reload unless the interface screws with me.

Speaking of death, my oh my is classic much more fun than normal.

2 shots with >90%, 2 misses. FML.

I just landed a 1% shotgun shot (dire circumstances). I'm either really lucky or something's really wrong.

demidar

This is pretty much why I'm not playing ironman anymore; too many UI problems led to my team's untimely death. I don't reload unless the interface screws with me.

Speaking of death, my oh my is classic much more fun than normal.

Why is classic more fun? Also I have an open question, can poison kill?

Sotha Sil

Why is classic more fun?

Enemies don't run anymore. They were playful targets before; now they mean business. Simple Sectoids, for example, actively try to attack you from all sides, and will easily kill you if you forget to cover your flanks. I rarely used hunker down in normal and I still slaughtered anything and anyone; now it's a necessity.

So yeah, I'm enjoying the "real" enemy AI much, much more.

Jintor

Classic unshackles the strategic AI so it can outpace you and will attempt to actively provoke panicking countries into danger zone territory.

And yes, poison will kill you. It's poison.

How long can I post-pone the assault on
the alien base
? Can I keep scanning for activities at this moment?

I'd advise you to do it as soon as you can, cause it'll drop 2 panic points world wide and might be the saving grace of some countries. If you have 2 or more regions near max panic definitely do it right now.

demidar

Classic unshackles the strategic AI so it can outpace you and will attempt to actively provoke panicking countries into danger zone territory.

And yes, poison will kill you. It's poison.

I had to make sure, I was facing three chryssalids in the middle of my squad and I wanted the best outcome. Result: 3 dead chryssalids, everyone still very much alive.

Sotha Sil

Come to think of it, I'd pay good money to get a "classic-level tactical action, normal-level strategic planning", because I can already tell I'll run XCOM into the ground.

Psi testing results seems to be based on a random seed. I've reloaded and tested units in a different order and combination and received different results.

Either I have the worst luck, or the number of UFOs that pop up for the player to shoot down is really small. Here is a number of problem it created in my case:

1. Because I almost never intercept, I have no idea that my interceptors are out of date. I figure the ship, with a plasma cannon is enough... until one minute I need an altogether new type of ship, I stand no chance at all.

2. It creates an ellerium shortage. Since I never sell any resources that are actually required, when a deal came along for some plasma rifles, I manufactured and sold them without thinking twice(and it was over 2000 in credits!). After which, I built an ellerium power generator and bought expensive items. The result? I can't research anything, including said new ship, because I don't have the ellerium.

3. Because I'm stuck without a new ship at the ready, I had to let 2 encounters with end game UFOs go, resulting in a C grade.

Mind you, I have satellites over every continent and over every European country, this doesn't seem to boost the chances of detecting UFOs at all. It's just another point added to the list of stuff to keep in mind for the next playthrough. Research the new ship, don't accept deals where you have to manufacture a large number of weapons, even if it means a huge amount of cash.
Nope, you are right there are'nt enough UFO's to shoot down. Maybe 2 a month? Not enough, though you might find a landed UFO. I remember in the original Xcom it was quite normal to have 2 a day! I don't think the game wants you to have too much elerium.

Also, are Shivs seriously bugged? There's a big post here. http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?149231-Dedicated-Bug-Reports&p=2207406#post2207406

Noaloha

Mind you, I have satellites over every continent and over every European country, this doesn't seem to boost the chances of detecting UFOs at all.

I've been wondering about the above myself. May I ask if you also have Interceptors stationed on every continent?

My assumption so far has been that you wouldn't get UFO warnings popping up unless you also have a ship to actually confront it. I haven't been able to verify it to myself yet though as I've not managed to progress far enough into the year to reach such a commanding sky coverage.

I'll be sad if this isn't the case.

Once the dust has settled a little on the game I'd be fascinated to read an in-depth Firaxis interview conducted by someone who's put many hours into the game. So many little design and balance choices that I'm interested in the reasoning behind.

And poison's no joke. Costs you three health. It will also drop your accuracy by 20% while poisoned (or perhaps it's while you're in the cloud?). I'm pretty sure you also roll against panic each turn too, which can be a reet bastard and very nearly caused a squad wipe last night -- incidentally, that near-wipe was an abduction mission where the map's spawn zone was a little inset area off the bigger square and my team never fucking made it outside, just fended off waves of Thin Men and Floaters right outside the Skyranger. It was fun!

Worried that I'd get destroyed by the full game though.

You will.

But you'll learn each time you fail and eventually you'll come up with a strategy. Then you kick their alien asses and win!

(Then you try the next difficulty and repeat until you realize it's 2025 and the PS5 is on the way.)

I've been wondering about the above myself. May I ask if you also have Interceptors stationed on every continent?

My assumption so far has been that you wouldn't get UFO warnings popping up unless you also have a ship to actually confront it. I haven't been able to verify it to myself yet though as I've not managed to progress far enough into the year to reach such a commanding sky coverage.

I'll be sad if this isn't the case!
No. I have had UFO's pop up in areas with no aircraft stationed there, just a satellite.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I didn't get to take a screenshot when I was still in the top 10 :(

There are some pretty cheap ass things you can do in multi. I've just been messing around with all kinds of combos hence my huge loss rate lol.

Y12LW.gif

There we go. Number 6 now.

VpE29.jpg

Does the sniper have Snap Shot? The two abilities may interfere with each other.
.......possibly. I'll have to check. But why the second shot lower than the first? Unless the second shot is regarded as being taken after a move? Ahhh....that's it! But surely....I have'nt moved so why have it as a snap shot? I don't think that was meant to happen like that. If it was then that cheapens Double Tap. Kinda' like a bug.

Sotha Sil

Am I dreaming or is the KB/M interface really awful when it comes to finding cover in alien ships and aiming with the rocket launcher? Dammit.

Am I dreaming or is the KB/M interface really awful when it comes to finding cover in alien ships and aiming with the rocket launcher? Dammit.

Everything related to indoors stuff is terrible thanks to the way the camera works. Alien bases are such a chore because of it.

Derrick01

Banned
I have a beef with Double Tap. It seems the second shot takes an aim penalty of about 20%. Am I right, or did I dream it?

I haven't noticed anything like that. The hit chance is always the same as it was for the first shot for me, though I can't say if it actually isn't. I will say that ability is probably the best in the whole game with a properly outfitted Sniper.

MedIC86

I just started the game but what can you do against panic? i cant do any missions in the country's that are in panick.

Also, you guys recommend playing on from the tutorial or start a new game after that?

Noaloha

My fears of aerial warfare tech biting me in the arse were entirely founded. :[

May 11th, two and a half months into the project and after busting my arse just trying to balance the books enough to achieve 5x satellite coverage, lasers and carapace armour, I get a LARGE UFO sighting above North America which I don't feel equipped to take down with a lowly vanilla Interceptor. Regretfully, I ignore it and hope to weather the resulting panic. Then, May 13th, two days later, I get a VERY LARGE UFO sighting, again above North America, to which I say fuck it and toss an Interceptor at with a couple of dodges and aim boosts. The little thing goes up against a fucking Star Destroyer and dies in about two seconds. Then the aliens blow up my NA satellite.

Damn you aliens. Damn you game.

Top Bottom