• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Ugh lost my campaign because I couldn't take down the UFO that pops up after the hyperlink scanner, just ran out of time. Wish the campaign went on a lot longer.

KlotePino

Just started playing it and really enjoying it so far on normal. I can't imagine losing those higher ranks soldiers though. Didn't want to start on Iron Man since I have absolutely no background with this game and just lost my first higher ranked soldier on the bomb disarm mission and I reloaded and finished it without anyone even taking damage. Is anyone else playing this way or is it just not viable after a certain point? It just seems like the skills and bonusses those guys get really do matter quite a bit.

Zeliard

I'm going to have to use hunker down more often. With overwatch I tend to have all but one in overwatch then move my support with the extra distance skill forward one turn. If it triggers aliens I get him back to his overwatching buddies. Question. If an enemy is moving out of cover when the soldiers use overwatch does the enemy have 0 defence as they are not in cover?

They don't have the cover bonus when they're moving from cover-to-cover, if that's what you mean.

Use Overwatch if you anticipate the enemy moving (I tend to always keep Snipers on Overwatch since they're at a safe distance), or with your Supports if you have that ability that gives them reaction shots when an enemy shoots. Otherwise, if you're basically in a stand-off against cover-based enemies, hunkering down when you don't have a good shot can be a better idea. If you need to move someone and the enemies are on Overwatch, first move an Assault(s) with Lightning Reflexes so they waste their reaction shots.

Ugh lost my campaign because I couldn't take down the UFO that pops up after the hyperlink scanner, just ran out of time. Wish the campaign went on a lot longer.

You lose the campaign? I failed that mission (all the soldiers died) and the UFO just appeared again after a while.

demidar

I've actually run out of weapon fragments since I drag pretty much every alien to my base alive. I really wish there was a bigger benefit to capturing aliens besides getting a plasma weapon and unlocking interrogation, like selling excess weapons or taking them apart for more fragments.

Just started playing it and really enjoying it so far on normal. I can't imagine losing those higher ranks soldiers though. Didn't want to start on Iron Man since I have absolutely no background with this game and just lost my first higher ranked soldier on the bomb disarm mission and I reloaded and finished it without anyone even taking damage. Is anyone else playing this way or is it just not viable after a certain point? It just seems like the skills and bonusses those guys get really do matter quite a bit.

Yea they do matter but thats the best part of the game, building a little relationship with your guys, then having them die can be heartbreaking, but you live to fight another day.

Try not to reload and go from there, you will get more enjoyment because it really makes you think about your next move more.

You lose the campaign? I failed that mission (all the soldiers died) and the UFO just appeared again after a while.

I think it's because I ran out of time in the campaign, I did get another shot at the ufo but still failed and then the monthly report came in and said I failed lol

Noaloha

If an enemy is moving out of cover when the soldiers use overwatch does the enemy have 0 defence as they are not in cover?
They have zero evasion bonus due to not being in cover, but they have an evasion bonus from being shot at through overwatch (Sniper traits notwithstanding). They'll also get an additional evasion bonus if they dash. Range has an effect on things too, naturally. I've only just started making judicious use of the More Info button on my to-hits and I notice stuff like +3% range modifier against an enemy ~10 grids away on laser rifle. I'm trying to keep tabs on it now, since I want to know if that will extend to, for example, +6% if the enemy is nine grids away.

Worth noting is that defence isn't actually related to cover, etc. Defence is a value that comes into play when damage is calculated. Better to think of the to-hit stuff as evasion (or accuracy, depending on which side of the shooty thing you're on).

I'm sorry, but could anybody link me to the mod that gets rid of the intro movies? Google has failed. Or at least, my Google skills have failed me.
Courtesy of Victrix:
To skip the intro videos:

\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XComGame\Config\

Open DefaultEngine.ini

Under the header ; PC Startup movies, delete the "+" before the 4 entries there.

Almighty

I really need to learn to use hunker down from the sounds of it. I got myself into the habit of putting my people in overwatch lately. Thinking back on a few mission it sounds like hunker down might of been more useful for the situation and might of saved some lives.

It might of really helped on my last mission that went south real fast. Fuck Mutons is all I can say. Lost one of my best, my badass assault colonel, and three others on a UFO assault mission. "Oh a large scout. That should be easy. I will bring some squaddies to give them some experience" Open up the front door, see 9 Mutons waiting for me in the first room, and everything then went to shit.

Thankfully I brought two snipers and had them positioned well so when the Mutons left the UFO to come after me they were getting picked off. Still it was too close to my liking. I am sure if I failed that mission my classic iron man game would of gone to shit.

On that subject I really need to improve my bench, but it seems i am cursed there. Every time I take a rookie or some low ranking guy out for some experience they are always killed. No matter where I put them, front, left flank, right flank, or the rear, they seem to always be in the wrong place and get blasted.

raphier

Banned
Yeah I am done with classic ironman. Unless they change thinmen accuracy I am not ever bothering again. Got a team wiped through 10 foot thick concrete.

The last level and game ending were really disappointing. Wonder why they decided to go that route instead of
going to Mars like in the first game. That was so much cooler.

That said though I greatly enjoyed the game and will buy pretty much any DLC they put. A Terror From the Deep or
Mars
campaign would be so awesome. A level editor or random map generator would also be neat.

KingKong

Oh man I was doing so well but I got a Very Difficult mission in Mumbai and I was cocky enough to accept it.

End result: barely escaped with my most developed guy.

Then it kind of spiraled out of control and a bunch of countries are in panic or pulled out. And now on another mission I had to abandon because the bomb was armed, the game froze during extraction :(

Quick question, in the first few missions it just gave me new soldiers, but now I have to hire them. Why is that?

100% accuracy displayed on the screen at point blank range and I still miss! What the hell...
It was probably actually 99.9% and the game just rounded up lol

Oh man I was doing so well but I got a Very Difficult mission in Mumbai and I was cocky enough to accept it.

End result: barely escaped with my most developed guy.

Then it kind of spiraled out of control and a bunch of countries are in panic or pulled out. And now on another mission I had to abandon because the bomb was armed, the game froze during extraction :(

Quick question, in the first few missions it just gave me new soldiers, but now I have to hire them. Why is that?
I think it always starts you off with a few dudes when you begin a game.

demidar

I never did that, doesn't it only protect from melee damage or was that misleading flavor text?

Halves melee damage AND adds 4 extra health. If you're looking through stuff in Engineering, there's a description button next to the exit button on the bottom left.

Support class scoffs at trivialities like that!

Oooooooh, I got it. That explains the "Only one of these can be equipped per soldier" text.

Noaloha

100% accuracy displayed on the screen at point blank range and I still miss! What the hell...

That's the kind of stuff I wanna get to the bottom of. Assuming it's not a bug (big assumption with how the state of the current code!), it might be that the to-hit function incorporates a critical miss system. If your RNG coughs up a double zero on its ten-sided dice then, sorry, automatic whiff, regardless of circumstance. I doubt this is the case though, since I'd expect Firaxis to have the decency to mention it somewhere.

Love love love this game despite some jank (stuttering, shooting through walls, some enemy appearances and ambushes seem cheap). Questions:

-is there any way to get a flight computer other than downed UFO levels? I'm trying to shoot down an advanced UFO but I need an advanced fighter and the one I got took forever and got shot down and now I think nations will leave before this happens.

-can't you add more than 1 satellite to a country? Can't figure out how.

Would seriously suck if I lose the game because the process of downing this advanced UFO takes so long.

random thought: I think it'd be cool if there was a LOTR version of this game. Different races are different units. You have to keep the people of Middle-Earth from panicking and fleeing the alliance before the big fights which could be like Dragon Force.

Blitzhex

I think it's because I ran out of time in the campaign, I did get another shot at the ufo but still failed and then the monthly report came in and said I failed lol

The campaign has a time limit? I've been holding off the last mission for a few ingame months now, trying to get all the achievements. I hope it doesn't randomly run out of time :S

demidar

That's the kind of stuff I wanna get to the bottom of. Assuming it's not a bug (big assumption with how the state of the current code!), it might be that the to-hit function incorporates a critical miss system. If your RNG coughs up a double zero on its ten-sided dice then, sorry, automatic whiff, regardless of circumstance. I doubt this is the case though, since I'd expect Firaxis to have the decency to mention it somewhere.

Heavy LMG hit chance on the row of icons is also wrong, but when actually going into shoot mode displays the correct hit chance is shown (or is it?).

FStop7

Banned
I love it when I have my dudes all in rows on opposite sides of a corridor, all set to overwatch, and then an alien rushes through the door ahead of us.

All 6 squad members, all ranked Lt. - Mjr., fire reaction shots and MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS. It's ALMOST funny. Almost.

Also, I haven't had any sort of chance to keep up with upgrading my interceptors because of all the priority research tasks. Now I'm at the point where I'm encountering alien ships that can shoot them down with no problem. So I guess I have no choice but to let those ships pass by.

It kind of sucks that you can run simultaneous construction tasks but you can't do simultaneous research tasks.

Nocebo

Love love love this game despite some jank (stuttering, shooting through walls, some enemy appearances and ambushes seem cheap). Questions:

-is there any way to get a flight computer other than downed UFO levels? I'm trying to shoot down an advanced UFO but I need an advanced fighter and the one I got took forever and got shot down and now I think nations will leave before this happens.

-can't you add more than 1 satellite to a country? Can't figure out how.

Would seriously suck if I lose the game because the process of downing this advanced UFO takes so long.

random thought: I think it'd be cool if there was a LOTR version of this game. Different races are different units. You have to keep the people of Middle-Earth from panicking and fleeing the alliance before the big fights which could be like Dragon Force.
1) Maybe at the alien base? other than that, no.
2) No.
3) Eh?

Anyway, I'm at the
Temple ship or whatever
on my second Classic Ironman playthrough and basically got reamed by 2 sectopods coming at me at the same time. Didn't know their rockets could basically fire 3 screens away. I survived though, but with only 3 guys. Made it over to the last room but... Got instantly destroyed when I stepped inside. I thought that was it and I'd lost the game but was relieved to find out you can restart the mission.

FStop7

Banned
BTW the alien base started giving me a real Mass Effect vibe. Then I started thinking about a game like this set in the Mass Effect universe. Or a very large scale RPG built around this system of movement and combat. And my loins... they quivered.

demidar

I love it when I have my dudes all in rows on opposite sides of a corridor, all set to overwatch, and then an alien rushes through the door ahead of us.

All 6 squad members, all ranked Lt. - Mjr., fire reaction shots and MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS. It's ALMOST funny. Almost.

Also, I haven't had any sort of chance to keep up with upgrading my interceptors because of all the priority research tasks. Now I'm at the point where I'm encountering alien ships that can shoot them down with no problem. So I guess I have no choice but to let those ships pass by.

It kind of sucks that you can run simultaneous construction tasks but you can't do simultaneous research tasks.

Try making those one-use interceptor boosters while building up to plasma cannons.

masterkajo

Second Terror mission, in Germany.

There is literally about 10 of those fucking crawling-zombie turners running around here... after trying to save cilivians I figured it was the best course of action for my higher ranked soliders to stand-by near the drop point in Overwatch and let them come to us to die.

Bring it, zombies and Xrays, BRING IT.

Managed my first (saved 1 civilian) and second terror mission (saved 3 civilians) this way :)

Thought I would post the email I received from Amazon about the elite soldier pack :

Hello,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused with "XCOM: Enemy Unknown [Download]"

This is a known issue and our technical team is working on it to resolve the issue at the earliest.

You will receive the pre-order bonus via email as soon as it's resolved. I request you to please wait for some more time.

If you have any further queries please contact us by clicking the link below:

I appreciate your patience and understanding in this regard. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Thank you for your inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:

If no, please click here:

Best Regards,

Mukesh BPV

That's why I played on ironman, I had the foresight to know I'd savescum. However if you make an accidental mistake (did something you didn't mean to) you're fucked.

I'm playing on Classic, but I'm not doing mid-mission saves, only at the very beginning. I'm getting towards the end game, and ultimately the question to myself is: do I lose the good soldier and continue on a mostly successful mission, or start the entire mission over from scratch? Basically taking the Fire Emblem approach to each misison. I feel like it'd be cheap to save every time you clear out a few enemies.

Mupod

FUCK BRAZIL.
95D43501A594B902FCB344D6850561B92869DE35
actually it might have been argentina.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Man firaxis really nailed the one more turn addiction in this game as well.

Mupod

The funny thing is that soldier is still alive. I ended up just running back to the skyranger, left a rookie behind though.

Doom tracker's at 4/8, but my classic ironman is finally pretty stable (mid July). I'll have full satellite coverage on the remaining countries in a few days, full plasma weapons and the alien base is dead. Working on titan armor and the alloy cannon next, although for some reason my interrogation bonus for plasma research stopped working after I interrogated a floater. It's like I'm really playing TFTD with all its research bugs.

demidar

I don't know if this is a bug, but making berserkers run towards you doesn't trigger overwatch. Haven't tried it with suppression though.

Have they patched/improved the PC version's mouse cursor yet? In the demo it felt like it was locked at a low frame rate.

(Sorry if this has already been addressed.)

NIN90

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

I just started 4 classic ironman runs where I would get a full squad wipe within the first 3 encounters.

Top Bottom