• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Jintor

So one of my favourite things is reaction fire killing a floater midair and then their corpse goes careening off into the distance

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody know the approximate times in which different aliens begin to show up?

I think they're linked to story beats, but this could be a case of the blind (me) leading the blind.

ElFly

I tried delaying history missions so I could grind on thin men and sectoids, and soon enough I was facing Cyberdiscs and Mutons and Chrysalids. Don't doubt berserkers and sectopods would have followed even if I hadn't even captured a live alien yet.

MedIC86

I would have liked it if they made the 'overworld' with more gameplay (i know its also not in the original but still). Like a tactical mini battle with vehicles or a risk like thing.

Also im so hoping they are gonna remake terror from the deep or make an expansion that covers that :(

Onemic

Whats with sectopods being able to mortar you without seeing you?

I played on Classic, and I had Mutons and Chrysalids before I attempted the
alien base
. I'm at the same point on Normal Ironman and I've only gotten Sectoids, Thin Men, and Floaters.

It's definitely not story based then. I have sectopods, berserkers, Heavy floaters, and muton elites, and I haven't attempted the
alien base
yet

Zeliard

They're on a schedule of some sort, probably based simply on the month you're at. My first time through Classic Ironman I took my sweet ass time and had Cyberdiscs popping up before ever attempting the first story mission.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
How do i capture one of those flying discs? I put my soldier right beside it and the Stun icon is disabled.

TTG

How do i capture one of those flying discs? I put my soldier right beside it and the Stun icon is disabled.

Speaking of which, anyone actually go through with the drone capture project at the foundry? How does that stuff work out?

RyanDG

I think that different enemies presence is based on a combination of what research you have completed and what the panic/terror levels are overall. I say this, because it seems possible on Classic to delay the introduction of specific aliens by purposefully avoiding specific tech paths. Or at least that's what it feels like in my limited experience so far with it.

r1chard

Re-started my Normal game in Classic last night (with self-imposed Ironman rules) and boy that difficulty does ramp up, doesn't it? I thought I was being careful before!

And then, second mission in, with a squad of 4 with 3 rookies, I get a bomb defuse! I imagined the squad sitting in the briefing room thinking "there's no way we're ready for this." But bravely on they go, landing in a semi-industrial location right next to a cafe fronting some warehouse. The clock is ticking - three turns before the bomb explodes and my squad can only see one power node, and it's full dash away.

The 3 ground squad members fan out into cover and the sniper heads to the roof.

They progress through the cafe, deactivating that power node and taking full cover and remaining alert for the expected alien presence. In a couple of turns the clock's down to 2 and sounding ominously urgent, but a couple of reckless aliens have also been taken out and my point assault can see another power node through the back door of the cafe.

Moving forward, the team make it to the back alleyway where a nasty fight ensues around a truck. Fortunately, trucks are very explosive and the aliens using it for cover don't seem aware of that. A rocket takes out two of them with the truck chain-reacting to take out a third. The squad then realise that the aliens had planted most of their power nodes in the alley beside the cafe. The assault heads off to deactivate those, giving everyone else plenty of time to head into the next building - an office warehouse - where the bomb is placed in the middle of the warehouse space.

The minimal guard presence is taken out and the bomb is deactivated. Upon then being warned of incoming aliens then team takes cover.

Then the shit hits the fan.

Unfortunately the sniper on the roof had utterly failed to notice the little grey shit on the roof of the office the rest of the team are in. The alien standing next to the glass skylight. Which proceeds to take advantage of its position to take out the medic (and also the only team member who is above Rookie.) The other two on the ground bug out, shooting wildly at the other Thin Men who've just dropped in. Cursing at the goddamn useless sniper the whole time.

The sniper's rattled, and while he does take out the Sectoid his attempts to take out the other aliens on the roof miss every shot and he's eventually taken out by some unnaturally accurate Thin Man fire.

On the ground the heavy takes out two but runs out of ammo. The assault also takes out one, but is also out of ammo when the remaining Thin Man moves behind the heavy to finish him off. She knows her pistol won't do the job. So she takes the risk and throws her grenade. The thin man explodes in a cloud of goo, and the heavy is a little battered, but the two survive the battle.

Damn this is fun :)

Can you go the game without actually catching an alien?

You need to capture them to progress the story.

Firebrand

So how does rocket "precision" work? It says 90% chance to hit, is that to either hit on target or miss wildly, or will it always deviate a bit from what the HUD shows you?

I fired a rocket, and uh, the blast reached two tiles or so closer than I anticipated... my squadmates were thrilled. One was celebrating by firing in random directions, the other couldn't stop beeping on the ground.

So how does rocket "precision" work? It says 90% chance to hit, is that to either hit on target or miss wildly, or will it always deviate a bit from what the HUD shows you?

I fired a rocket, and uh, the blast reached two tiles or so closer than I anticipated... my squadmates were thrilled. One was celebrating by firing in random directions, the other couldn't stop beeping on the ground.

90% that the blast goes within your chosen radius. Otherwise it could veer off wildly (or slightly).

Zeliard

I must say, I've been really lucky with squadmates panicking. Only once has one of my peeps been shot and hit by a panicked member (unfortunately that guy also died). Almost every time, my panicked guys shoot back at one of the aliens, and they frequently hit them as well.

Zeliard

There's probably nothing in the game more teeth-gnashingly frustrating than setting up for a rocket to land directly into a nest of alien fucks only to have it miss completely.

There's probably nothing in the game more teeth-gnashingly frustrating than setting up for a rocket to land directly into a nest of alien fucks only to have it miss completely.

How about being dumb about it and the rocket going into a side of a gas pump where two of your nearby rookies get blown up and die?

I reached the point of the game where the
Ethereals
come out to play.
My god do the aliens get tough at that point.
Elite Muton, The walker mechs that are armed to the teeth and immune to explosives, and muton beserkers.

My core team are maxing out there rank now, but I really need to move slowly to ensure I'm fighting as few aliens at once as possible.

Ferrio

Banned
So are their quick saves or anything? From reading the thread it sounds like if you lose a guy you're screwed completely and gotta truck on?

Salsa

So are their quick saves or anything? From reading the thread it sounds like if you lose a guy you're screwed completely and gotta truck on?

if you play on Ironman mode (way to play) yes, otherwise you can always reload a previous save and save whenever you want

I feel like the metagame is a little undercooked. No aliens invading your base and no additional bases are two reasons, and also all the stuff relating to interception - only 1 craft upgrade, hardly any interaction, research/weapon options not that interesting, not as many grades of capability as in the original. The Officer Training and Foundry are nice additions, but I still feel like the whole thing is a little too by-the-numbers and somewhat shallow and bland. I don't feel the same sense of ownership and immersion - the sense that I'm playing a bunch of menus rather than becoming the XCom Director is hard to shake.

I'm really enjoying it. I'm almost done with my normal run, it's rather easy right now. The new powers are pretty fun to mess around with.

Too bad it's a bit buggy.
DD1E6CB2EDE7A749C3920001C3ABB9206359D229

I'm now several hours into my 3rd attempt at Normal (not Ironmanning it though).

First attempt aborted when I realised the importance of satellites.

Second attempt aborted when I realised the importance of Overwatch.

Just hit the first
alien base assault
mission last night and got kicked in the balls by a shitload of Mutons and a Cyberdisc after carefully inching my way through for about an hour. Even though I'm still in some pain, it has to be said that I haven't felt so rewarded by a video game for as long as I can remember. It is going to take something pretty spectacular to knock this off as my GOTY.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I'm now several hours into my 3rd attempt at Normal (not Ironmanning it though).

First attempt aborted when I realised the importance of satellites.

Second attempt aborted when I realised the importance of Overwatch.

Just hit the first
alien base assault
mission last night and got kicked in the balls by a shitload of Mutons and a Cyberdisc after carefully inching my way through for about an hour. Even though I'm still in some pain, it has to be said that I haven't felt so rewarded by a video game for as long as I can remember. It is going to take something pretty spectacular to knock this off as my GOTY.
Real talk, i think i botched my current playthrough for neglecting the satellite/ship management.

Blu10

I'm really enjoying it. I'm almost done with my normal run, it's rather easy right now. The new powers are pretty fun to mess around with.

Too bad it's a bit buggy.

Love the game but you want to talk buggy, how about all your guys are invisible, and can't move on the last mission in the game...ironman.

mik83kuu

Banned
Can't be arsed to continue playing any longer. I can't stand when the enemy gets super powers that I don't like in this case their ability to move an extra turn when they are discovered. Why can't I move an extra turn when I get discovered? It's sort of a pet peeve of mine and I feel really frustrated when shit like this happens. Now of course I don't want a completely level playing field with the mother fucking aliens (I understand they are generally thought out to be quite advanced) but it's clearly a game design decision when it applies to every single type of enemy regardless of their type. In other games something like that would be limited to certain types of aliens and perhaps thus have some sort of story/lore element to it.

It also annoys me that my sniper can't hit a fucking wall even if he was standing right next to it. Or well to be completely honest he can hit that wall, he just needs to aim at an alien -_-

Also the AI doesn't seem to do shit unless I am watching. If I get behind cover and spam Overwatch during a start of a mission, I would never ever see an alien just randomly pop up to have a look or kill a civilian unless it was one of the aliens I had discovered earlier.

I don't regret paying monies for this game but it just rubs me the wrong way. Last time I felt this frustrated with something unfair was id software's Rage where the enemies had the ability to "stick" to cover and pop shots but I didn't.

Can't be arsed to continue playing any longer. I can't stand when the enemy gets super powers that I don't like in this case their ability to move an extra turn when they are discovered. Why can't I move an extra turn when I get discovered?

I actually think this is a pretty decent solution when you consider the alternatives, as much as we want to be able to get a free turn of shots on the bad guys, imagine if they instead were all in overwatch and just smoked your scout. That's sort of what would happen in the original X-com. The free move they get only really sucks with the Chrysalids as they sometimes use it to close the gap which is kind of bull. But for the ranged units I'm perfectly ok with it.

Top Bottom