• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Ketch

But in this case the game can be over due to a single miss step one 1 turn during the combat mode, with no chance of coming back no matter how well you did previously. It's not like losing all soldiers and a mission during the game where you get to carry on and only lose after a series of missteps.

"That's XCOM" right? Isn't that what they say? Pretty sure "retry" is not XCOM. That's what they led me to believe anyway, that (in ironman) you don't get to take back your mistakes. That everything is riding on this. He's the chosen one, if the chosen one dies then the world is doomed... Just saying, ironman should be ironman the whole time, and shouldn't revert to normal at the very last mission just because they don't want you to loose... it's disingenuous.

edit: I'm not sure if i know what disingenuous means.

I've only put one of my soldiers in the Psi labs and he passed the test lol

Just activated the Gollop Chamber and I think I'm ready for the final mission...

jw1MhCTOEnxUN.JPG

Also, got the final 2 research items from the Battleship and equipped my Heavy with a Blaster Launcher. Here goes nothing!

What is this blaster launcher you speak of?

haikira

Just lost my all A team in a single mission and lost some countries, so it's a reroll for me. Been playing on Normal Ironman. My first experience with the series and i love it =D

RIP Guys

xcomgame2012-10-1621-g4qcz.png

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sigh, I thought I was lucky enough to avoid most of the bugs people get here but I just built 4 hover shivs and can't use any of them.

Also... I'm genuinely getting pissed at the random enemy spawns, prior to encountering them myself I've been made aware of their existence by others on the forum but seeing a random cyberdisk with drones spawn between two of your guys in the middle of an open field with no fog of war really brings down the experience.

Add that to another thing I really hope they patch.

Torraz

Is there a guide of some sort that details some good choices to make early on with regard to base building, research priorities etc.? The one thing I know is satellites.

I read that the priorities shown in the tutorial might not be the best.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I had Arnold also but he tragically died early.

i had almost all of my guys named the same, I lost JCVD yesterday and now I dont know if I want to continue.... :(

I also had no idea you could change their call sign. JCVD had a call sign of longshot which kinda made me laugh :(

"That's XCOM" right? Isn't that what they say? Pretty sure "retry" is not XCOM. That's what they led me to believe anyway, that (in ironman) you don't get to take back your mistakes. That everything is riding on this. He's the chosen one, if the chosen one dies then the world is doomed... Just saying, ironman should be ironman the whole time, and shouldn't revert to normal at the very last mission just because they don't want you to loose... it's disingenuous.

edit: I'm not sure if i know what disingenuous means.

Not, that's not Xcom, as Xcom wouldn't have you lose the game over 1 soldier. Like I said, it's a special situation for the games finally, nothing more, it doesn't take anything away from the actual game.

You're over thinking this way too much.

Now this:

game isnt THAT randomized for my taste. Late in the game for UFO landings/crashes it's always one small chamber at the end with one Muton Elite and one Ethereal. Gets a bit old

Is a much valid complain, one which I agree completely. Too many maps my bum.

Mupod

I forget what happens if you screw up the Cydonia mission in the original. Can't you just send another Avenger full of dudes or is it game over?

McNum

I forget what happens if you screw up the Cydonia mission in the original. Can't you just send another Avenger full of dudes or is it game over?
Cydonia is do or die. You fail? It's game over. You abort? It's game over. You want to reload a save? It's game over. (And then you can reload.)

The old X-Com was so cynical. I like that little detail that you have to sit through the bad end to reload a save during the final mission. Just, you know, to be cruel.

Corky

Kill me.

25h Ironman playthrough falls short on the finish line.

Random terror mission pops up before I'm going to do the final mission.
I have to do it otherwise paniclevel reaches max and I'm at 7/8 xcom drop outs.
I get violated. Lost all but two, skyranger takes off.

8/8

Defeat.

330~ days survived.

FML.

Not gonna play for a couple of months.

Goty.

Going for the "Have one Soldier complete every mission in the game" achievement on a Normal Ironman run. First mission, two of my guys get wounded so I only have two left. Okay, that's fine. The two left as possible for the achievement are an Assault and a Sniper. Not bad, not bad. Then my Assault guy dies because of a surprise crit by a floater, so my Sniper is going to be babied and coddled for the rest of the game. Hogan Washburne, you are humanity's only hope to get this blasted achievement.

He got wounded in a mission, so I had to skip my first terror mission for the achievement. Turns out if you skip a terror mission, the country automatically withdraws from XCOM even if they're only at one panic and have a satellite on them! Who knew! Sigh.

Going for the "Have one Soldier complete every mission in the game" achievement on a Normal Ironman run. First mission, two of my guys get wounded so I only have two left. Okay, that's fine. The two left as possible for the achievement are an Assault and a Sniper. Not bad, not bad. Then my Assault guy dies because of a surprise crit by a floater, so my Sniper is going to be babied and coddled for the rest of the game. Hogan Washburne, you are humanity's only hope to get this blasted achievement.

He got wounded in a mission, so I had to skip my first terror mission for the achievement. Turns out if you skip a terror mission, the country automatically withdraws from XCOM even if they're only at one panic and have a satellite on them! Who knew! Sigh.
Zombie apocalypse will do that to you, unfortunately.

Mupod

Well, of all classes Sniper is definitely the best choice for that achievement.

The funny thing is I probably would've got it if I hadn't sent my Support (who I named after a friend) in for psi testing. He spent basically the entire game healing people and hiding behind walls, and never took so much as a shot. Can't remember if he was part of the mission 1 squad though.

Yeah, happened to me too. The country had zero panic so I figured, wth. Didn't want to do another one of those missions anyway. Big mistake.

KePoW

Banned
Kill me.

8/8

Defeat.

330~ days survived.

FML.

Goty.

What difficulty?

Despera

Banned
What is this blaster launcher you speak of?
It's a Plasma Launcher. It doesn't need a direct line of sight in order to hit the target, instead, it shoots out an orb that can move around obstacles. Also, base damage is 9.

I'm not sure if this is how you're supposed to get it, but here's how I did it:

While scanning, a casual UFO landing mission popped up. I decided to see what happens if I ignored the mission, so I continued scanning. After a a day or two, a large UFO appeared over the same area in which the previous UFO landed. I engage it with my Firestorm, and it was clearly a new type of ship which I haven't engaged before.

After it went down, I sent my squad to the crash site. The ship was almost as big as the Alien Base. Once the mission was complete, I was prompted with 2 new research options (thanks to the 2 Fusion Cores I found on that ship). One research was the blaster launcher, the other was a fusion weapon for firestorms.

My major complaint about the game is that it is balanced with the assumption that players will reload games to prevent failure. This assumption is borne out in the post-game stats that show that the number of failed missions for the average player is tiny.

However, because failure is so infrequent (on non-Ironman games, anyway), it has been balanced to have a disproportionately large effect. Failing a mission, especially on Classic and Impossible, and especially early in the game, is downright catastrophic, adding substantial difficulty to the rest of the game.

This balance in turn encourages more reloading and, in Ironman, makes one potentially interesting part of the game - dealing with failure - no fun: either the game is over, or you're crippled and at a big disadvantage, often with no way to redeem yourself.

This problem is exacerbated by the fact that luck often plays a large role in failure. (Playing on Impossible, I've noticed, after much reloading, that the path that gets you through the mission with no casualties is often weird and involves moves that are quite clearly not good strategic play. But failure due to bad luck happens at lower difficulty levels, too.) Failure is often a result of skillful play marred by bad luck, and small failures snowball into big ones - factors out of the player's control often go from causing one bad turn to screwing up the whole mission, with little to no power given to the player to overcome that bad luck with skillful play in ensuing turns (in many instances).

All of this really hurts appeal of the Ironman mode, but I'm also not a fan of how it encourages people to reload games over and over until they get things perfect.

All that said, I still like the game.

Blu10

What? No. That's exactly what you should do. Bring 3 snipers or more with double tap. Throw the radar
, focus on boss, you can kill it easily in 1 turn,
end.

I threw it out there as my last move of my turn trying to get an idea of the lay of the land before moving my guys in... It caused a wipe because it triggered the aliens. Only time in game it does that.

Firebrand

What? No. That's exactly what you should do. Bring 3 snipers or more with double tap. Throw the radar
, focus on boss, you can kill it easily in 1 turn,
end.

I threw the ball, then mind controlled the
two muton elites.
The
two Ethereals and the boss
all wasted their turn killing those. After that, double tap to victory with a single sniper. Didn't expect it to quite that smoothly, this was on normal though.

Fantastic game, took me forever to beat though because I didnt have nearly enough satellites. While waiting for the next paycheck there'd be 3, 4? missions of maybe an hour each, really inflated my total time.

Tried my hand at Classic... three tries to beat the first mission. Yup.

Volodja

Just finished my normal ironman run and it barely presented any challenge all the way through.
Most of my losses came from killing the last dude in the final mission, which killed all my soldiers that were under Mind Control but I didn't really care, after all I threw them forward just to give my Double Tappers vision.
I'll start a Classic run someday, but I don't think I want to do it now with all the bugs that plague this game, sometimes with possibily run-ruining effects.

I threw the ball, then mind controlled the
two muton elites.
The
two Ethereals and the boss
all wasted their turn killing those. After that, double tap to victory with a single sniper. Didn't expect it to quite that smoothly, this was on normal though.

Fantastic game, took me forever to beat though because I didnt have nearly enough satellites. While waiting for the next paycheck there'd be 3, 4? missions of maybe an hour each, really inflated my total time.

I did the same, well i only mind controlled one of them, but then
1 of the Ethereals dropped the AOE attack on top of all my soldiers, 10 damage on all, my saving grace was the other sniper double tap.
. Thats when I realized,
if I had 1 more sniper and prepared properly (putting them in position before throwing the radar ball) it would have been the easiest boss ever. Done in 1 turn easily. Specially since they don't attack after reveal.

Sotha Sil

Damn. Classic Ironman is so tense that I can't help but care for my troops. I try to wait till they make sergeant to actually customize them, but yeah. I'm setting myself up for a massive depression ; they'll start falling like flies any minute now.

XCOM being XCOM.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kill me.

8/8

Defeat.

330~ days survived.

FML.

Goty.
I could be wrong, but don't you have until the next council report to lower their panic level? Couldn't you have theoretically just left it and then did the final mission?

Corky

I could be wrong, but don't you have until the next council report to lower their panic level? Couldn't you have theoretically just left it and then did the final mission?

That's what I thought but here's the kicker and painful painful lesson learned : abandoning/ignoring /(failing ?) a terror mission makes that country automatically pull out of xcom.

Damn. Damn I'm still angry/sad. So close...

Rufus

Sigh, I thought I was lucky enough to avoid most of the bugs people get here but I just built 4 hover shivs and can't use any of them.
Did you dismantle the bugged SHIV before you built the new ones? That's what fixed it for me, at least.

Uthred

My major complaint about the game is that it is balanced with the assumption that players will reload games to prevent failure. This assumption is borne out in the post-game stats that show that the number of failed missions for the average player is tiny.

Thats some wildly shaky "logic" right there. Your assumption is in no way proved by the current state of post game stats.

Rufus

The random bullshit really gets to me in Classic Ironman... Those impossible looking shots (that go through corners) are just painful. I know it's just visual incongruity most of the time but it makes me rage.

Salsa

However, because failure is so infrequent (on non-Ironman games, anyway), it has been balanced to have a disproportionately large effect. Failing a mission, especially on Classic and Impossible, and especially early in the game, is downright catastrophic, adding substantial difficulty to the rest of the game.

This balance in turn encourages more reloading and, in Ironman, makes one potentially interesting part of the game - dealing with failure - no fun: either the game is over, or you're crippled and at a big disadvantage, often with no way to redeem yourself.

This problem is exacerbated by the fact that luck often plays a large role in failure. (Playing on Impossible, I've noticed, after much reloading, that the path that gets you through the mission with no casualties is often weird and involves moves that are quite clearly not good strategic play. But failure due to bad luck happens at lower difficulty levels, too.) Failure is often a result of skillful play marred by bad luck, and small failures snowball into big ones - factors out of the player's control often go from causing one bad turn to screwing up the whole mission, with little to no power given to the player to overcome that bad luck with skillful play in ensuing turns (in many instances).

All of this really hurts appeal of the Ironman mode, but I'm also not a fan of how it encourages people to reload games over and over until they get things perfect.

All that said, I still like the game.

none of these are "flaws". It's how Xcom has always been. Dealing with your mistakes and learning from them for subsequent playthroughs is half the game, and in my opinion it only encourages ironman even more, cause that's where the game is. There's always been a lot of luck involved, and getting back up after what seems like a catastrophic failure might be easier than it looks

Playing with quicksaving /loading seems like so boring to me. What's the point? I you're pretty much invincible, it takes ALL the edge off. You guys are missing out on one of the most thrilling and stressful (but so satisfying) experiences out there

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've learned to accept the deaths of my veterans as part of the circle of life.

Sometimes I resort to savescumming, but only when weird fucking bugs mess with my game, like when I tried to send my assault dude right next to a wounded muton to blast him off and the son of a bitch went UPSTAIRS because the movement grid is some seriously clunky shit.

Rufus

Sometimes I resort to savescumming, but only when weird fucking bugs mess with my game, like when I tried to send my assault dude right next to a wounded muton to blast him off and the son of a bitch went UPSTAIRS because the movement grid is some seriously clunky shit.
Hah, yeah, I'm dreading that on Ironman. I also wish that you could mutate the path they take somehow. I don't want to waste actions just because someone insists on walking out into the open to get somewhere.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That's what I thought but here's the kicker and painful painful lesson learned : abandoning/ignoring /(failing ?) a terror mission makes that country automatically pull out of xcom.

Damn. Damn I'm still angry/sad. So close...
Oh, ick! That's so cruel. (GOTY?)

Zarx

Hah, yeah, I'm dreading that on Ironman. I also wish that you could mutate the path they take somehow. I don't want to waste actions just because someone insists on walking out into the open to get somewhere.

That would really help vs Thin Men frustrating needing to get to somewhere but they insist on running through a poison cloud to get there. It's times like that where I miss moving inch by inch.

Top Bottom