• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

ultron87

Noob question: Is there any way to affect what kind of soldier your rookies get promoted into? Because I have Heavies coming out my ears.

Ketch

Yes it's true. I'm playing ironman and I lost everyone in the last room. It let me restart from the beginning with the same soldiers. Quick tip... Don't throw your sniper radar in the last room. It will trigger the aliens.

Wow, that is fricken lame. Defeats the whole point of ironman... We're gonna make you live with your choices whether you like it or not... until it matters the most, and then were just gonna give you infinite continues.

I am in disbelief. Really kinda takes away a bit of my feeling of accomplishment for having just beat it on normal ironman.

Noob question: Is there any way to affect what kind of soldier your rookies get promoted into? Because I have Heavies coming out my ears.

Nope. Time to make squad "Heavy Metal" All black armor and mohawks for everyone.

LiK

none, i keep getting Assault and Snipers. just have to dismiss and rehire again. it's easier to know what class they are day 1 once you get the Officer Training perk where they're already a Squaddie.

Yes it's true. I'm playing ironman and I lost everyone in the last room. It let me restart from the beginning with the same soldiers. Quick tip... Don't throw your sniper radar in the last room. It will trigger the aliens.

What? No. That's exactly what you should do. Bring 3 snipers or more with double tap. Throw the radar
, focus on boss, you can kill it easily in 1 turn,
end.

Wow, that is fricken lame. Defeats the whole point of ironman... We're gonna make you live with your choices whether you like it or not... until it matters the most, and then were just gonna give you infinite continues.

I am in disbelief. Really kinda takes away a bit of my feeling of accomplishment for having just beat it on normal ironman.

Losing your psi soldier basically means game over, as
he is "the chosen one" and there's no one else
So they just let you retry instead.

garath

shit I never realized the ghost armor gave you a grappling hook as well

this changes everything

I know.. lol. I even use ghost armor and I just never noticed. I don't grapple very much unless it's my sniper who only has skeleton armor (and feels weak defensively right now).

Does change everything.

lvclix

Banned
19 vs 6

I hate landing missions. 2 of my six colonels were injured so I go with 4, a squadie sniper and a shiv.

I must have reloaded this map 20 times until I found a reasonable outcome I could live with where only my squadie and shiv didn't come back. Man these are brutal missions. Multiple Sectopods, etherals and elite mutons. I feel sorry for you ironman players.

scy

Has anyone tried going through the game with 6 of the same class type? :p

All Snipers or All Support doesn't seem like it'd be too terribly hard to be honest.

Guess I might have a future playthrough planned out. Six of whatever class they flood me with at the start!

Ketch

Losing your psi soldier basically means game over.... So they just let you retry instead.

I understand that, but it's Ironman mode, so game over should be game over, not redo. That's the whole point of the mode, and then to go back on that "promise" on the last (most important, story wise) part of the game just makes it that much more of a ... cop-out. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Also, sniper only squad would be torture in the early game.

Hari Seldon

Yeah I'm on normal ironman, and my main sniper is now a fully upgraded Psy. Just overpowered. I'm sure it will be different on my next playthrough on classic haha.

atomico

I know.. lol. I even use ghost armor and I just never noticed. I don't grapple very much unless it's my sniper who only has skeleton armor (and feels weak defensively right now).

Does change everything.

Ghost armor is indeed awesome for snipers. I just thought of it as improved skeleton armor , since I never used the cloaking option

EDIT: Unrelated, but my mind was blown yesterday when Jeff Gerstmann said that you could get the adjacency bonus from facilities you place on top or below another, not just left/right

Mupod

I understand that, but it's Ironman mode... so game over should be game over.. not redo that's the whole point of the mode.

It wouldn't even need to be game over. I just assumed you'd need another psi colonel and you'd be off to the races again.

It's not like the final mission is even hard.
I had dual sectopods wedged into the Overseer and that was waaaay tougher than dealing with a couple of them when you have a high ground advantage and (probably) a bunch of mind controlled mutons. And the final boss is just sad.

Miletius

What? No. That's exactly what you should do. Bring 3 snipers or more with double tap. Throw the radar
, focus on boss, you can kill it easily in 1 turn,
end.

Losing your psi soldier basically means game over, as
he is "the chosen one" and there's no one else
So they just let you retry instead.

They should have handled it differently for Ironman, IMO.
Make it so that you can create another "chosen one" by building another psy suit and redoing the assault the base mission.

I understand that, but it's Ironman mode, so game over should be game over, not redo. That's the whole point of the mode, and then to go back on that "promise" on the last (most important, story wise) part of the game just makes it that much more of a ... cop-out. Just doesn't make sense to me.

But in this case the game can be over due to a single miss step one 1 turn during the combat mode, with no chance of coming back no matter how well you did previously. It's not like losing all soldiers and a mission during the game where you get to carry on and only lose after a series of missteps.

It's understandable. The whole mission is pretty much the ending anyway.

Despera

Banned
I've only put one of my soldiers in the Psi labs and he passed the test lol

Just activated the Gollop Chamber and I think I'm ready for the final mission...

jw1MhCTOEnxUN.JPG

Also, got the final 2 research items from the Battleship and equipped my Heavy with a Blaster Launcher. Here goes nothing!

So I'm starting my classic ironman run today. I'm trying to figure out what my objectives should be in priority order... Here's a rough draft:

Base in europe
Satellite coverage of NA
Officer training school
Capture an alien
Satellite coverage of south america
laser weapons
capture an outsider
carapace armor
6 member squad
assault alien base
Satellite coverage of Asia
Firestorms

that's what i've got so far.. but it's all theoretical... anybody with bruises from bashing their head up against the classic ironman wall have any tips? What am i not considering? what are easy things to live without?

I think it's hard to plan to cover any continent. I planned on rushing Africa, but aliens starts smashing into Asia, and I ended up covering Asia first. Carapace armor is extremely useful, more so than Lasers, in my experience. Shotguns and Snipers will oneshot most early game enemies, I haven't found lasers useful except the basic ones to make rookies/support better. You're going to be capturing enemies so you should have L.Plasma anyways.

I've never found all the big research boosting bonuses, like Europe and South America, to be totally useful. Interrogations/Autopsies are only 4 days, and in the early few months you don't have a whole lot of things to autopsy and interrogate. You wanna get some engineers, since more engineers means more satellite uplinks/nexus, which is like more of everything important.

Rufus

Just activated the Gollop Chamber and I think I'm ready for the final mission...

jw1MhCTOEnxUN.JPG
Wolverine needs chops. Chops also.

Btw, the game says B is bound to Hunker Down and Z flips through zoom levels, but neither of them do anything when I press them. Y (Overwatch) works splendidly. I don't get it.

atomico

Am I the only one who makes the entire squad wear the same color combination?

-WHAT DO WE DO IN XCOM??
-SIR, KICK ALIEN ASS, SIR
-AND HOW DO WE DO IT?
-WHILE WEARING COLOR COORDINATED ARMOR, SIR

I've done 22 missions on normal ironman and have yet to capture an outsider. My last two UFO missions, my assault soldier with the arc thrower got killed! guess I may want to manufacture another and have a backup arc thrower.

Tacitus_

Am I the only one who makes the entire squad wear the same color combination?

-WHAT DO WE DO IN XCOM??
-SIR, KICK ALIEN ASS, SIR
-AND HOW DO WE DO IT?
-WHILE WEARING COLOR COORDINATED ARMOR, SIR

Color coordinated classes! Assaults are red, Heavies are black, Snipers are green (expect one that keeps bugging to white no matter what I do) and Supports are white.

Mupod

The funny thing is that while I had a fancy customized squad in my normal run, in my classic ironman I'm still using the defaults. I didn't bother changing anything because I figured they'd all die after 3 missions but I haven't lost a soldier in ages. And now I'm all attached to them so I don't want to change them.

Especially Snake Eyes, him and his glorious moustache and will/aim over 100 each. Only reason I'm still going, he got me through that base assault and its room of 6 chryssalids/4 mutons all on his own.

And Disco, who somehow still isn't dead.

I've done 22 missions on normal ironman and have yet to capture an outsider. My last two UFO missions, my assault soldier with the arc thrower got killed! guess I may want to manufacture another and have a backup arc thrower.

Wish the arc thrower was a pistol replacement. Had this whole plan to Run+Gun a wounded muton, but forgot the arc thrower was a damn item. Worst about it, after Run+Gun you can only shoot or overwatch, can't even hunker down, so I was forced to overwatch the muton who ended up dead.

Dakota47

Color coordinated classes! Assaults are red, Heavies are black, Snipers are green (expect one that keeps bugging to white no matter what I do) and Supports are white.

Color coordinated classes are very handy. Mine are:
  • Support: white
  • Sniper: blue
  • Assault: green
  • Heavy: yellow
  • Rookie: red

Wish the arc thrower was a pistol replacement. Had this whole plan to Run+Gun a wounded muton, but forgot the arc thrower was a damn item. Worst about it, after Run+Gun you can only shoot or overwatch, can't even hunker down, so I was forced to overwatch the muton who ended up dead.

You ALSO have to get your target down to 3 health for the arc thrower to work, which can be challenging to not kill the enemy! The outsiders though only have 3 health, so....

atomico

lol yeah, I probably should've gone that route. I can never tell who anybody is, at first glance (unless I'm rolling with the Heavy with the red mohawk, or the Sniper with the Guile hairdo)

You ALSO have to get your target down to 3 health for the arc thrower to work, which can be challenging to not kill the enemy! The outsiders though only have 3 health, so....

I believe the improved Arc Thrower (via Foundry) can stun guys with higher health than that. The weapon description doesn't seem to change to reflect it, tho

Facism

For me, Heavies are Black, Snipers are White, Support are red and Assaults are Green. I have no rookies, but i imagine i'd make them pink.

All my men have beards.

coldfoot

Banned
Pistols and disabling shot from a sniper are good for whittling an enemy's health down without killing it.

My colors
Red: Assault
Yellow/Orange: Heavy
White: Support
Black: Sniper
Default color: Rookie (no need to spend any effort or get attached to em) I guess I can make them green lol.

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, 1 question about the campaign. I haven't bought the game yet, but are enemy placements on the map randomize? Like, say I do a second playthrough, will I know where the enemies are hiding or what enemies are on the map?

Miletius

I mix up my colors depending on a lot of factors. I had a support guy who I nicked "Queztal" in my last game who wore the pink/green combo. Wouldn't have worked without that nick.

LiK

Hey guys, 1 question about the campaign. I haven't bought the game yet, but are enemy placements on the map randomize? Like, say I do a second playthrough, will I know where the enemies are hiding or what enemies are on the map?

yup, randomized enemies and maps!

Rufus

They are actually tiled, just not as big as in the original. Building centric maps always seem to be the same though.

Salsa

game isnt THAT randomized for my taste. Late in the game for UFO landings/crashes it's always one small chamber at the end with one Muton Elite and one Ethereal. Gets a bit old

Miletius

game isnt THAT randomized for my taste. Late in the game for UFO landings/crashes it's always one small chamber at the end with one Muton Elite and one Ethereal. Gets a bit old

I get the feeling that I ended my game too early. During the whole game I ended up only facing
3 Ethereals. One from the story mission, 1 during the next mission, and 1 on the final mission.

Salsa

I get the feeling that I ended my game too early. During the whole game I ended up only facing
3 Ethereals. One from the story mission, 1 during the next mission, and 1 on the final mission.

it's alright. Im extending it a bit because I lost all of my early game squad (and the one guy who had been with me since the start RIGHT before the final mission), so I need to level up some rookies

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hmm... what am I missing?

I have a max-ranked
Psi
-soldier and yet I can't use the gallop because "I don't have a high enough ranked soldier".

Top Bottom