• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Beaulieu

i feel like an idiot.
trying to start a walkthrough on 360 with ironman. I cant select the option. I hit X to get more options and see the boxes for tutorial and iroman, but I cant go and select them. If I press A it just starts the game. Wtf.

edit : wow ok i found out.

Sorry for the late reply.

The number of missions is not set on stone. It's randomized, in a sense. I have done 34 missions by the end of the game (delayed the final mission by half a month, in which I did perhaps 2 extra missions), but different people have reported different numbers.

I think this Classic normal run took me around 20-25 hours total. Bear in mind I attempted a Classic Ironman run before, which didn't go so well...

The last mission isn't the
UFO you find with the Hyperwave relay
is it? I've been putting off that mission for a while now.

i feel like an idiot.
trying to start a walkthrough on 360 with ironman. I cant select the option. I hit X to get more options and see the boxes for tutorial and iroman, but I cant go and select them. If I press A it just starts the game. Wtf.

don't worry man stumped me for a while as well.....

Riposte

Current classic ironman: Cleared three missions without any of my units taking ANY damage. Now I eagerly await for this all to blow up in my face lol.

gryz

Banned
just came to post that I was reluctant to buy this game out of fears of it being dumbed down, but I bought it and its amazing.

i feel like an idiot.

Don't feel too bad, I spent 10 minutes on that :(.

Darkone

So i get an attack message of a ship, when i encounter it with a strike ship i get wiped with 2 shots, that ship was fucking huge, anyone was able to bring it down?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So i get an attack message of a ship, when i encounter it with a strike ship i get wiped with 2 shots, that ship was fucking huge, anyone was able to bring it down?
The one that looks like a box? It took down my two ships like nothing.

Riposte

I wasn't really clear on this, but should I just ignore missions in areas that don't need my help when I really need to help certain nations get out of panic? Playing on Ironman makes me not want to experiment on such basic things lol.

EDIT: Another thing: What is the difficulty based on? Is it "moderate" compared to what I have or is that a set amount that I may or may not be ready for?

McNum

yeah that one, 2 shots and i was done, and the fucker took down my satellite.
That would be a Battleship. They do that. The Foundry project for Stealth Satellites lets you fool them, but they still eat Interceptors for breakfast. A Firestrom with Plasma or better has a fighting chance, though.

LiK

That would be a Battleship. They do that. The Foundry project for Stealth Satellites lets you fool them, but they still eat Interceptors for breakfast. A Firestrom with Plasma or better has a fighting chance, though.

this, guaranteed to shoot it down with that. you need to be real lucky to get it down with Interceptor and Avalanche.

McNum

this, guaranteed to shoot it down with that. you need to be real lucky to get it down with Interceptor and Avalanche.
It's funny that you can research Fusion Lances from shooting down a Battleship. If you can do THAT, then what do you need a better craft weapon for? The other thing you get looks pretty nice, though.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So... uh... I captured a Muton, but... can't interrogate him? Can you not interrogate Mutons or what's up wit that?

Also, I can only build light plasma rifles, no sniper rifles etc, what research unlocks this? I have nothing even remotely plasma-related to research in my list...

McNum

So... uh... I captured a Muton, but... can't interrogate him? Can you not interrogate Mutons or what's up wit that?

Also, I can only build light plasma rifles, no sniper rifles etc, what research unlocks this? I have nothing even remotely plasma-related to research in my list...
Hmm? Researching a Light Plasma Rifle should unlock the Plasma Rifle research. Which, in turn, unlocks the rest of the Plasma Stuff, except for the Plasma Pistol. And if you have a live Muton, it should have been carrying a Plasma Rifle, which you could research on its own.

Ketch

Anyone tried capturing the outsider as the first alien you capture? Does it then skip up to that point in the priority missions?

Jintor

There's a bunch of mods around that are upping the drop rate of UFOs and the like. I'm reluctant to try them out because they screw badly with the economy... well, I would assume that getting crazy amounts of UFO Power Sources and Elerium would probably be a bad thing.

Grimsen

There's a bunch of mods around that are upping the drop rate of UFOs and the like. I'm reluctant to try them out because they screw badly with the economy... well, I would assume that getting crazy amounts of UFO Power Sources and Elerium would probably be a bad thing.

Yeah, I think the reason we see so few ufos is because it would fuck the economy up. They should balance that eventually. More ufos, butt less cash from the black market and more alien materials needed to build stuff.

Jintor

I know the chances are stupidly remote but I'm really hoping for DLC that brings the strategic game more in line with X-Com of old. I loved putting down listening posts, sending interceptors out on patrols, being able to fight battleships with more than one flier at once, multi-skyranger drop teams, being swamped by 4 UFOs across multiple areas of the globe in a day. That shit was exciting to me.

Ketch

They could just add a supply/demand type logic to the grey market. The more you have to sell the less they're worth.

Did you get a Muton Captive as a result from your mission? If you didn't, you may have accidentally killed the stunned alien. That happened to me once. I stunned a Thin Man because I hadn't gotten one yet, and then a Muton came up and threw a grenade at my guy that was next to the Thin Man, it blew up and killed the stunned Thin Man on the ground so I didn't get the captive.

Anyone tried capturing the outsider as the first alien you capture? Does it then skip up to that point in the priority missions?

Both in my Classic and my Normal Ironman playthrough, I captured my first regular alien and an Outsider on the same mission. I still had to interrogate the non-Outsider first before I could research the Outsider stuff, though.

Also as another note: don't bother capturing more than one Outsider. I thought maybe an Outsider Shard would go for huge on the Grey Market after you use one for story purposes, but nope. You still can't sell any extras.

NIN90

Base assault was kinda easy. Didn't even use my A squad. Actually took 2 rookies and a squaddie with me (bunch of my veterans were injured, had 3 nations on 5 bars and it was the end of the month so it was kind of a last resort) which I promptly forgot to equip with laser rifles .
Most dangerous part was a single Muton mob of 2 but I don't think they even did any damage.

But seeing after the mission that almost all of the nations where back to 1 bar and I got about 500 credits from selling useless stuff = XCOMgasm

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Did you get a Muton Captive as a result from your mission? If you didn't, you may have accidentally killed the stunned alien. That happened to me once. I stunned a Thin Man because I hadn't gotten one yet, and then a Muton came up and threw a grenade at my guy that was next to the Thin Man, it blew up and killed the stunned Thin Man on the ground so I didn't get the captive.

I don't think it got killed, there weren't any grenades involved after that... I'll have to see. Also I could swear I saw no plasma rifle research and can only build a light plasma rifle. Will go check everythin once again when I get home, but I looked for it quite a bit yesterday.

Jintor

They could just add a supply/demand type logic to the grey market. The more you have to sell the less they're worth.

That's not one of the second wave options, is it?

What are the practical uses in base construction/item creation of Power Sources and Nav Computers again?

Ketch

That's not one of the second wave options, is it?

What are the practical uses in base construction/item creation of Power Sources and Nav Computers again?

I'm not sure what you mean by second wave. I was just saying if they wanted to up the number of UFOs they could decrease the amount the pieces sell for based on how plentiful they were in the game.. like in real time.

The Sat Nexus uses nav computers, I believe. Uhhhhh... I can't think of anything else. Probably need power sources for the psychic research room...

KePoW

Banned
Does anyone know how to equip SHIVs? I have an Alloy SHIV and just finished researching SHIV Plasma from the foundry. But the next time I went into a mission, my SHIV is still firing laser cannon and I can tell it's the same damage as before.

How do I use the Plasma for my SHIV?

Blitzhex

Anyone have an issue with the Xbox 360 controller on the PC version where the analog stick is too fast when navigating the interface? If I want to select 'loadout' and press down once on the analog it skips 2-3 buttons and ends up on 'dismiss' or 'customization'. Or is my analog just messed up? Doesn't happen in other games though.

LiK

Anyone have an issue with the Xbox 360 controller on the PC version where the analog stick is too fast when navigating the interface? If I want to select 'loadout' and press down once on the analog it skips 2-3 buttons and ends up on 'dismiss' or 'customization'. Or is my analog just messed up? Doesn't happen in other games though.

no issue on my end

Ganondorfo

I just beat dishonored, I want to try the single player campaign of this game?

How many hours does it take to finish this and how many missions are there in this game?

And is the single player engrossing and worth it to play it?

Ketch

How many hours does it take to finish this and how many missions are there in this game?

The single player is the thing for this game. Multi is fun, but not the main draw. I beat it on normal ironman in about 26 hrs, some other posters here said they've spent as long as 60 hrs in one play through. Single player is engrossing because of the investment you make into the "xcom project", the story is.. serviceable.. but the engrossing part is the feeling of overcoming impossible odds.

I finished my first Normal Ironman run (I'm totally new to XCOM so I shyed away from Classic difficulty) and I really liked how the ending played out for me:
First of all, the soldier that was able to use the ethereal device was the only one that survived since the beginning of the game. So I already was really concerned to keep her alive and it was a really cool coincedence that she turned out to be that important in the end. She was my Shepard of XCOM. And in the last room, where you encounter the boss, the only two soldiers not being mind controlled (or being dead) were her and the soldier that was with me the second longest. Those two were also always running next to each other on the treadmill in the barracks, so I guess they were good friends. This made the final cutscenes even kind of emotional^^

I really liked the game. I still need to experiment more with the different abilities and abilities gained by suits of armor, I kept it quite basic. And I definitely need to improve my base management. I'll start a Classic Ironman run soon to work on that.

I think the difficulty curve in the base management mode is kind of odd. I really struggled in the beginning and never had enough money and later on I had way too much of it.

And colonel snipers are way too powerful for normal difficulty. Mine had the very appropriate nickname "Nightmare"^^ Speaking of nicknames, they and the mission names were awesome in general.

McNum

20-25 hours to beat the game once. 30-40-ish missions. More or less. depending on how long you take ingame. And this is assuming you win, which is not a guarantee, even on normal. Game can go south pretty fast, and then it's back to the main menu to try again.

Is the game engrossing? I still remember when I lost Sarah Jones, the assault who captured the first Outsider, but kind of got ambushed by 7 Mutons at the same time. My first major casualty in the game. Or "Road Block" the Heavy from the tutorial mission coming all the way to the final mission, despite getting gravely injured more than once. Yeah, it's engrossing. Most likely, you'll get a few favorite soldiers, and you'll see them die. On Ironman mode, it's for keeps, too.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Mission count and playtime is highly variable. Single player is extremely engrossing.

Top Bottom