• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

golem

And colonel snipers are way too powerful for normal difficulty. Mine had the very appropriate nickname "Nightmare"^^ Speaking of nicknames, they and the mission names were awesome in general.

Theyre pretty powerful for Classic too.. finished the final battle in 1 round with plasma snipers

FUUUUUUUUUCK. I'm at the mission where you assault the UFO after the hyperwave relay and every time they intro the
elite mutons
it freezes right after they finish their move. I've tried it about five times now and it does it every time.

LiK

FUUUUUUUUUCK. I'm at the mission where you assault the UFO after the hyperwave relay and every time they intro the
elite mutons
it freezes right after they finish their move. I've tried it about five times now and it does it every time.

tried reloading the save before mission and restarting? maybe a new map will help.

Mupod

I think my first normal ironman was around 22 hours and my classic ironman was 26. I really spent a lot of time preparing for the final mission on the second, though.

Either way it's hard to say what your playtime would be since there's so many random factors, but I don't feel that it's a 'play it once and forget it' kind of game. I'm already thinking about my next run.

Zeliard

There's something to be said for your sole experience with the game being on Classic Ironman, and not associating it with anything below that.

I did attempt Impossible Ironman. That ended in disaster for me, my soldiers, the XCOM project, the planet, and perhaps the observable universe.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Made some pretty bad mistakes on my normal non-ironman run, but that's what it's good for. Will try and finish it soon so I can get started on Classic Ironman.

E.g. "I have like 120 of these alloys lying around that I'm not using for anything, let's sell them!" A few missions/days later, new research results pop up and i could build stuff: "fuck me"

Mupod

Made some pretty bad mistakes on my normal non-ironman run, but that's what it's good for. Will try and finish it soon so I can get started on Classic Ironman.

E.g. "I have like 120 of these alloys lying around that I'm not using for anything, let's sell them!" A few missions/days later, new research results pop up and i could build stuff: "fuck me"

I think the game also triggers country requests for alien corpses right after you sell them off thinking you don't need them.

Also something I need to watch out for is jumping at the chance to make things like 5 plasma rifles for 1200 credits or whatever. Sounds great, but at that point I needed the Elerium WAAAAY more than the money...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
qt7wV.jpg

Dumbass muton in the background doesn't know how to jump through windows, so he remains there, keeping the enemy turn going on. Forever.

I had to alt+tab and kill XCOM from the desktop.

Riposte

There's something to be said for your sole experience with the game being on Classic Ironman, and not associating it with anything below that.

I did attempt Impossible Ironman. That ended in disaster for me, my soldiers, the XCOM project, the planet, and perhaps the observable universe.

That's probably the only way I'll be playing, but I might check out Normal to see difficulty differences and check out non-Ironman if I can't reach the end of the game (the other types of enemies) before I'm finished playing it.

Just unlocked the last mission, going to save it for after work tomorrow since it's already past midnight. Planned on doing just one mission tonight and then unlocking the final mission and going to sleep but my Psi Soldier got injured for a week and suddenly 3 events happened in that week!

Really want to do a Classic Ironman run after I beat it on Normal Ironman but I think I'll put the game away for a while until they fix a few of the bugs and mouse control hopefully

desverger

What the heck, I was doing pretty good on my Normal Ironman run, and suddenly I get a notification that Russia has pulled out of the XCOM Project.

I go to Situation Control and yep, there sure is a big red X on where Russia used to be.

I check Geoscape again (there was nothing up for sure before) and there's a terror mission in St. Petersburg. Okay? It also shows the panic level as 5, full red, and very difficult.

So now I'm kinda reluctant even to go this mission, since Russia has already pulled out. I guess the game just bugged out and "forgot" to tell me there was a terror mission in Russia? But why is it still there? And why can I take a mission in a country that has already left?

Kurdel

Banned
I am at the last mission on Normal after 13 hours.

I didn't loose a single country, and the difficulty was fine.

I can't wait to restart a new game, because I am sure I can be more efficient in my base management.

Dakota47

My team did well.

BX7s4.jpg

No wounded either. It was close a couple of times though ... Got an achievement for it too, Like A Scalpel.

And yes, this is on normal ironman, but still.

Ceebs

Anyone played much of the multi?

Seems like Alien units are woefully outclassed in every way if the other side is using upgraded humans.

Riposte

The UI is sloppy, on mouse anyway. This is the second time I've lost someone (on Ironman, lol) because it just bugged out and I moved out in the open unpredictably. In this case it wouldn't cancel out of something and while trying to cancel it I moved my dude out in the open.

EDIT: Base UI is also tedious. So many windows for no good reason. When picking a squad, why can't I see loadout and stats while I see the name?

Trickster

My team did well.

BX7s4.jpg

No wounded either. It was close a couple of times though ... Got an achievement for it too, Like A Scalpel.

And yes, this is on normal ironman, but still.

Aren't terror missions very luck based though? I'll normally see 4-6 civilians dead before I've even seen all the enemies. And even after you spoted them, no guarantee that the chrysallids won't wander off and gank random civilians.

Sotha Sil

The UI is sloppy, on mouse anyway. This is the second time I've lost someone (on Ironman, lol) because it just bugged out and I moved out in the open unpredictably. In this case it wouldn't cancel out of something and while trying to cancel it I moved my dude out in the open.

EDIT: Base UI is also tedious. So many windows for no good reason. When picking a squad, why can't I see loadout and stats while I see the name?

It happened to me so many times (well, a couple dead soldiers was enough) that I restarted the game with normal saves once. I'm back on ironman, but I'm much more careful now - still, it's goddamn sloppy on their part. Fix it, Firaxis, your game is so very close to greatness.

In other news, got to love the sound of two laser snipers going off in unison. Overwatching mutons never gets old.

Mike M

Nick N
Think I'm about to hit a wall in the difficulty curve. Sent a Skyraider to a UFO landing that served as the introduction of Elite Mutons and those bipedal robots.

Took sooooo many attempts to clear that mission, there were two robots right on top of each other, couldn't get near them without the pair of them decimating everyone. Eventually devised a strategy where I just crawled around the map, kiting out Mutons, Elite Mutons, Heavy Floaters, and Outsiders, occasionally sniping one of the drones that would come out from time to time. Then, once everything else was dead, gradually creeped up on them and whittled them down.

Without my sniper in Arcangel armor + plasma rifle + Damn Good Ground + Double Tap, I don't think I could have cleared it, let alone bring everyone home alive.

Love this game.

Anyone else feel this game is really difficult at the start but not later on? I playing on normal and was having a rough time the first couple months but once i got some plasma weapons it was a breeze. Seems classic will provide a better challenge in late game but im afraid it will be too difficult at the beginning

I just had a post surgery fever dream about this game. Two things came up:

-there's an alternate outfit that makes your guys look like revolutionary war style soldiers complete with tri-corner hats. Heavies look particularly good in this
-there is a second soundtrack you can choose consisting entirely of Meat Loaf songs

Jintor

-there's an alternate outfit that makes your guys look like revolutionary war style soldiers complete with tri-corner hats. Heavies look particularly good in this
-there is a second soundtrack you can choose consisting entirely of Meat Loaf songs

You better check to see if you got cybernetic'd while you were out like a light.

Blasting open mutons heads while meatloaf is screaming I WOULD DO ANYTHIIING FOR LIOOOVE would be awesome.

Chozo

Seems like Alien units are woefully outclassed in every way if the other side is using upgraded humans.

Depends on what aliens you're talking about, since the unit costs are pretty out of whack right now. Sectoids are good cheap scouting foddder/suppression spammers, and Cyberdiscs and Heavy Floaters bring kit you can't really replicate in an equivalent-cost human soldier. Sectoid Commanders are also the cheapest way to get Mind Control at the moment, IIRC.

I've been running Cyberdisc/Heavy Floater/Floater/Sectoids x 3 as my multiplayer team and have done pretty well so far: you have enough bodies that you can find the enemy team without having to put your heavy hitters at risk, and the mobility of your fliers allows you to isolate and pick apart enemy teams, fly over their cover, and just generally be a major pain in the ass.

Phoenix

Anyone else feel this game is really difficult at the start but not later on? I playing on normal and was having a rough time the first couple months but once i got some plasma weapons it was a breeze. Seems classic will provide a better challenge in late game but im afraid it will be too difficult at the beginning

Yes and no. It really depends on how well you've set things up. The late game can go to shit pretty quickly too - especially on Ironman. You start losing critical people and have to start bringing up the rookies because people are KIA or wounded... it goes bad, fast.

God help you if the Bezerkers hit your newbie/Rookie team. You might as well get ready to buy new Rookies.

I said this earlier in the thread, but I played a multiplayer match-up against a guy using two fully-armored, fully-upgraded Plasma Snipers, and I strategically used my Thin Man, Medic, and Assault guy to wipe the floor with him.

If you're strategic enough, any unit is viable.

TTG

Playing on classic again, it's dawned on me that there's a much bigger problem than difficulty spikes that's in the way of trying classic ironman. I don't think I have the patience for it. I'm talking about the traversal of a map specifically.

After losing a couple of guys early, I went into the first, medium sized, ufo shot down mission carefully. Never dash a squaddie ahead without having another guy within reach that has turns left. If a couple of guys are returning from an excursion, just sit there and wait etc. etc. Worked out fine, but it's a pain.

Restarted my Classic Iron Man and booooy howdy am I doing better the second time. Ready to try shocking some dudes again, scared of losing John Stamos and Rory Williams, though...

Shouta

Theyre pretty powerful for Classic too.. finished the final battle in 1 round with plasma snipers

I did it with an Assault using Alloy Cannons. Assaults really make tackling most things easy because of their ability set and shotguns being gross powerful. With a little bit of lucky you can or almost can one-shot Muton berserkers at end game.

Honestly, the only enemy that is any dangerous, at least on normal, is the giant mech walker because it has so much HP and has a ton of good attacks from long range. Other enemies get a boost from the difficulty settings but meh, most aren't that bad at all.

Mike M

Nick N
I did it with an Assault using Alloy Cannons. Assaults really make tackling most things easy because of their ability set and shotguns being gross powerful. With a little bit of lucky you can or almost can one-shot Muton berserkers at end game.

Honestly, the only enemy that is any dangerous, at least on normal, is the giant mech walker because it has so much HP and has a ton of good attacks from long range. Other enemies get a boost from the difficulty settings but meh, most aren't that bad at all.

But FUCK those walkers, not looking forward to tangling with them again. Still can't believe my last map threw two of those at me at once. I never even saw two disks at once...

Might be time to bring in a Heavy with HEAT ammo...

Protein

Banned
Class mode. This game was a nightmare at the beginning and now that I got some amazeballs stuff it's become cake. Worst enemy I've encountered is
Elite Mutons
. Maybe I just grinded too much. That and I keep rotating my rookies to create a decent small army.

Jintor

X-Com's difficulty curve has always been front-loaded, although I would have probably appreciated Firaxis, well, fixing that.

koryuken

Beat the game on normal, bitch mode.

Last mission was pretty crap as it was more of linear walk...

200 days, 2 countries lost, 11,000 spent total.

Even impossible is starting to feel manageable now that I've gotten through the alien base. The difficulty in this really is immensely front loaded.

TTG

Even impossible is starting to feel manageable now that I've gotten through the alien base. The difficulty in this really is immensely front loaded.

I think that's partly because you can get one shotted much more easily. On the flip side, the stock weapons last you a while longer than I expected, but it's really much more about how vulnerable you are very early on.

Alien base and the like are totally different. 8 Enemies on screen when you're without any of the best abilities... yea.

Shouta

But FUCK those walkers, not looking forward to tangling with them again. Still can't believe my last map threw two of those at me at once. I never even saw two disks at once...

Might be time to bring in a Heavy with HEAT ammo...

They ruined most of my squad the first time I went through the last mission. Beat it with just my two Assaults and got to the boss only to get killed because one of my units mind-controlled and the other died. Second time, I set up my units just before triggering the Walker spawn, started a fresh turn, and utterly destroyed them with my two Heavys.

Kind of silly that they triggered based on proximity but oh well.

After you get that far, the only real potential block you might hit is a bad sectopod encounter, even on impossible. I really wish there was a middle ground for experienced players doing their 3rd or 4th playthrough between Classic (too easy) and Impossible, which I feel comes down to early game RNG and deliberate AI-manipulating tactics during missions.

On the flip side, the stock weapons last you a while longer than I expected

Firm believer here that getting early beam weapons is literally the best thing you can do in Impossible, even more important than carapace armor. Not being able to 1-hit the early aliens is what makes the early game so freaking awful.

Top Bottom