• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Classic Ironman, July. Team is strong, 2 colonel snipers take down everything thrown at me. However, I will be barely finishing Alien Containment, no Foundry yet. I think it was a mistake to go Asia, should've went Africa as money is the largest problem right now.

3 satellites will go online before the end of the month, and my guess is I will have to rush in August to capture all the aliens and make more Firestorms (almost finished one). Africa is gone, and it will be very hard to keep Europe (going for North America next for cheaper aircraft). I doubt I will be able to assault
Alien Base
in August as well, my guess is it would be better to wait for plasma+titan armor for that.

Mindlog

Someone made their own.
BdVvS.jpg

Zyzyxxz

I'd actually rather have a boardgame version of the world map where you would manage facilities and countries kind of like Epidemic.

TTG

Classic Ironman, July. Team is strong, 2 colonel snipers take down everything thrown at me. However, I will be barely finishing Alien Containment, no Foundry yet. I think it was a mistake to go Asia, should've went Africa as money is the largest problem right now.

3 satellites will go online before the end of the month, and my guess is I will have to rush in August to capture all the aliens and make more Firestorms (almost finished one). Africa is gone, and it will be very hard to keep Europe (going for North America next for cheaper aircraft). I doubt I will be able to assault
Alien Base
in August as well, my guess is it would be better to wait for plasma+titan armor for that.

I'm not at all convinced that really stretching out the "story" progress is a good strategy. Especially where you are, panic still matters.

My preparations for the alien base were(not on Ironman, mind you) to fight down panic via satellites until:

1. Enemies cannot one shot any of your guys. Carapace and a high ranking guy are enough to withstand even a critical hit.

2. Beam rifles came online. I was going to skip straight to plasma, but it would be cutting it really close with the panic levels.

Wunder

My first 'bad' mission, where shit was just inevitable. "Very Difficult" in a 4-panic Mexico, so I thought I had to take it since I didn't want any more 5-panic countries, and I think I did one or two 'very difficults' and they weren't especially demanding. The first go around I actually brought a Rookie and half my B-team with me, totally dismantled. This time around it was a new environment and I was in the middle of a god damn gas station. My Sgt went down first getting his entire body tossed around Mexico in bits and pieces after a Muton blew up a gas pump next to him.

Next was my Captain, oh my captain. It was my first cyberdisk encounter and I'd seen them on streams before so I wasn't totally surprised when they transformed, but fuck these guys pack a punch. A grenade took my supplementary support and took my assault down to half health. All the while my sniper (that's me!) was at a measly two HP this whole time with no feasible way to get to a guy with a medikit.

The final death was my second heavy, who actually did a fantastic job by using her rocket launcher at a pair of gas pumps and cars, scattering 3 Mutons and 2 floaters and dismembering a few in the process. The combined force of the Cyberdisk and a Muton was too much and she fell too. In fact, I barely made it out of the mission alive, because my Major from Australia got critically wounded and so did my Lieutenant. I had one turn left before they bled out and my sniper with 2 hp was the only one left to take out a 3 hp muton. Jesus Christ this game.

Onemic

Which would folks recommend - controller or keyboard and mouse?

Giant Bomb hype got to me and I bought on Steam last night.

keyboard and mouse for sure. You can map all your abilities to the keyboard to make it super easy to do things like quickly put everyone in overwatch.

keyboard and mouse for sure. You can map all your abilities to the keyboard to make it super easy to do things like quickly put everyone in overwatch.

Actually try both. A lot of people really prefer the controller. I've been playing K/M and and am fine with it, but it's clear from impressions that the controller plays very well.

duckroll

I prefer keyboard+mouse controls most of the time in the game. The only times where I feel the controller controls would have an edge is when there's an indoors mission with multiple levels of elevation. The mouse controls and camera totally sucks balls in those circumstances. It's still bad with a controller, just less bad.

Sotha Sil

First Sectopod of my classic playthrough appears; is instantly obliterated by two overwatching heavies. Lucky breaks are so scarce in this game that it felt amazingly good.

Damn, the more I play the more I think this game needs another layer of content (be it a longer campaign or especially clear-cut choices when it come to tech trees) to feel truly complete (and fully replayable). It's goddamn great as it stands, but the road to victory is so clear now that replaying it won't be the same.

Still, GOTY so far.

I prefer keyboard+mouse controls most of the time in the game. The only times where I feel the controller controls would have an edge is when there's an indoors mission with multiple levels of elevation. The mouse controls and camera totally sucks balls in those circumstances. It's still bad with a controller, just less bad.

Primary reason why I switched to controllers.

Many times my mouse is on top of a grid and the character just moves to the level below because there was another grid behind it.

To get to the actual grid I want I have to move the camera around until one of the angles, and it isn't even the most logical one, actually lets me select the grid on top.

Also the zoom is messed up with kb+mouse. Both in combat and in the HQ.

I mind controlled an Ethereal with a 0% chance of hitting. Truly proving that the percentages in this game are bullshit. Got the achievement though.

duckroll

Many times my mouse is on top of a grid and the character just moves to the level below because there was another grid behind it.

To get to the actual grid I want I have to move the camera around until one of the angles, and it isn't even the most logical one, actually lets me select the grid on top.

Also the zoom is messed up with kb+mouse. Both in combat and in the HQ.

I feel you. I feel you so much. Story of the last two missions I did. Lol. >_<

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so my heavy was directly under this floater. If he stretched his arm he woulda touched its belly

he shoots....and misses

FUCK THIS FUCK

pringles

Damage Roulette: Weapons have a much wider range of damage.
New Economy: The funding offered by individual council members is randomized.
Definite NO to the first one, a MAYBE to the 2nd. Too much randomness will just be irritating, especially in battles. A bit less predictability and feeling of 'one correct path' to the geoscape could be good though.

Not Created Equally: Rookies will have random starting stats.
Hidden Potential: As a soldier is promoted, their stats will increase randomly.
Could be cool, but I have another idea: Give soldiers a 'Potential' rating from 1 to 5 that indicates how much their stats will increase at promotions, with both 1 and 5 being very rare. Imagine getting handed a rookie with a potential of 5, instead of using him as cannon fodder you'd protect him and try to rank him up into a super soldier.

Absolutely Critical: A flanking shot will guarantee a critical hit.
High Stakes: The rewards granted for stopping alien abductions are randomized.
The Blitz: The aliens will target a larger number of cities every time they launch an abduction attack.
I want these NOW.

I wonder how Marathon mode works. Is it Civ and all research amd construction now takes more days?

Yes. I think it might also take more XP for your guys to level, but I can't tell for sure.

Definite NO to the first one, a MAYBE to the 2nd. Too much randomness will just be irritating, especially in battles. A bit less predictability and feeling of 'one correct path' to the geoscape could be good though.

I kind of see potential for New Economy to muck things up. It isn't too bad in my game (Africa and Europe are both pretty rich), but if Brazil/Argentina happen to be the richest, then South America will be pretty overpowered.

If you see 0% odds and you STILL make the call? No, you should definitely not gamble with anything real, lol.

I was just trying to clean up the few remaining achievements. I got up close and saw a 0% and just said fuck it, im gonna die anyway. Before the Mind Control shot went off the cheevo poped.

This is sort of my point, if the game is in fact using rounded 0.1 percentages, than show it. The game is clearly hiding something when a 0% shot actually hits.

Noaloha

The person who told me this may have been bullshitting me for all I know, but their claim was that the game's *actual* to-hit calculations are boxed in between 5% and 95%. Their source? "I read it on the internet!"

McNum

They made the pre-order bonus available as DLC? That's a nice gesture. More companies should do that. It'd be silly to lock out the ability to recolor your soldiers to just the first customers.

atomico

Elite Solider Pack now available for purchase - $4.99

Outfit your soldiers with specialized armor upgrades including the new Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits

So there's more than 2 types of armor deco? I only noticed one, while wearing standard body armor. Powered armor just locks you out of deco (other than changing color schemes)

Fake edit: Maybe I could customize Carapace as well. Can't remember...

Are't there 4 armors, 4 heads, and colors?

Colours and armors are shared, only the heads are unique. And its 1 new armor, unless soldiers go out naked without the DLC.

*edit* Oh, I see the colors are only available with the DLC. Still... Not that it makes it any better to charge for it.

Elite Solider Pack now available for purchase - $4.99
I'm sure they didn't expect the sales they got but I have evidently been outright spoiled by Fallout New Vegas DLC. A pack of cigarettes or 45.7 MB of data.... (First world problem.)

Both worthless, I would say.
Let's just go all the way and say painful as well.

If I didn't love the game I'd wait until a Steam sale, but goddammit, I'll reward the team at any cost after the past 28 hours played. GOTY, GOTY, GOTY, etc.

Miletius

Late game tech spoiler:

I never shot down a battleship on my first classic run but this time around one came up and I had already researched firestorm tech, so I said, why not. Holy shit after getting the Blaster Launcher. Heavies were already probably the 2nd best class in the game IMO, and now with BL I'd have to argue that they are better than snipers. Not only can a heavy take out any unit in the game in 1 turn, they can also do it while doing massive AoE damage to everything around them.

The game continues to surprise even though I've played the shit out of it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Firaxis talks future XCOM content, 'Slingshot' DLC announced

2K Games and Firaxis have announced the first downloadable content for XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Entitled "Slingshot," the DLC packs in three new Council missions with a unique story arc. The story takes place in China and, says designer Ananda Gupta, revolves around a "badass Triad operative named Zhang." Said badass will be a playable character and, unlike other XCOM soldiers, will feature a pre-designed face and a unique voice.

We spoke with Gupta and Firaxis producer Garth DeAngelis to learn a little more about the Slingshot DLC and the developer's future plans for XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
XCOM: Enemy Unknown (10/9/12)

The first of two planned pieces of DLC, Slingshot features three new missions on three new maps, which promise to be visually distinct from the maps already available in XCOM (unfortunately, they won't be available in multiplayer). Triad operative Zhang has had "an attack of conscience regarding some interesting technology," says Gupta, "and he's offering it to XCOM." In addition to the new locales, the missions promise more varied objectives, which DeAngelis says are "riffs on some of the existing gameplay objectives," but with "new mechanics."

The missions will be offered via the shadowy Council in the single-player campaign. In fact, it will be the first Council mission offered in a new game, though players can choose to tackle it at any time once it is offered. Incidentally, starting a new game will be the only way to access the Slingshot missions, though the rewards may be worth it (more on that in a bit).

Why add missions instead of new aliens or weapons? Council missions are "a good way of offering new stuff to the player that doesn't distort the core experience," says Gupta. "If we add new weapons and new tech, then we're expanding the tech tree, and that adds research time – and that's on a fairly finely balanced pinpoint right now." XCOM, he says, is unforgiving of players that fall behind in research, and adding even more options to the existing tech tree could be problematic.

Instead Firaxis decided to allow players to unlock an existing piece of tech much earlier in the game than would normally be possible. Specifically, the DLC offers early access to the incredibly powerful Blaster Launcher. Normally, players won't research the Blaster Launcher until very late in the game (if they research it at all), so completing Slingshot definitely comes with a concrete reward. Zhang himself is something of a reward, with Gupta referring to him as a "hero" character

As for the future of XCOM, Firaxis is open to the possibilities. Regarding the potential for mods and user-created content, DeAngelis notes that "it wasn't one of our core pillars when we started the project," but the team understands how important it is to the community. "It's something that we'd like to resolve going forward, but we still have quite a few things on our plate that have been planned for a while."

Top Bottom