• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Mike M

Nick N
Any tips on saving more civilians on terror missions? I always lose what feels like way too many.

My Terror Mission team is my upgraded Sniper and a mess of SHIVs. Park my sniper in the air at the start, have him double tap enemies while my SHIVs largely ignore them and race through the level.

I don't think it's possible to save everyone though.

Any tips on saving more civilians on terror missions? I always lose what feels like way too many.

On some Terror maps, such as the broken bridge maps or the "courthouse" map, you will have lots of casualities. There's just not a lot of ways around it. The number one key is to get the Chryssalid attention fast before they start a zombie chain reaction or get the Cyberdiscs drones shooting you instead of nearby civilians. You do this by keep pushing forward, no overwatch traps or any of the things you might do in a "normal" mission.

I find that bringing a SHIV once it is an option helps out a lot, since you can move forward much more aggressively.

Mike M

Nick N
I have to say that thus far, beating the alien base really seems to be the point where the difficulty curve crests. Panic is non-existent, and I've got the advanced interceptors with fusion lances or whatever they are called on every continet, downing UFOs in two shots. Even the Overseer class UFO went down like a chump.

Grimsen

I'm also not too sure about 2-sniper teams. It definitely won't be viable if they ever fix the LOS bugs.

As it is now, my sniper often reaction shoots Enemies through walls. But on big alien vessels and other maps, he needs to be mobile, which reduces his effectiveness.

I run 1 support, 2 heavies, 2 assaults and 1 sniper. I only carry one shotgun though.

Wunder

About to go to sleep, but just finished a "difficult" mission losing one sniper while completing it. Come back to Geospace to see that 3 countries are at 4 panic level. Am I fucked? I already tried to speedline the Sat uplink as fast as possible and I just realized I needed to actually build the satellite so I'm behind a good like 18-20 days while it finishes. Will I just lose most/all of the countries that are at panic? Countries are Japan, India and France. I got like 4 other countries at 3 Panic.

Protein

Banned
"Your next mission will be deep in the Nigerian interior. At this Applebees bar and grill."

lol.gif

About to go to sleep, but just finished a "difficult" mission losing one sniper while completing it. Come back to Geospace to see that 3 countries are at 4 panic level. Am I fucked? I already tried to speedline the Sat uplink as fast as possible and I just realized I needed to actually build the satellite so I'm behind a good like 18-20 days while it finishes. Will I just lose most/all of the countries that are at panic? Countries are Japan, India and France. I got like 4 other countries at 3 Panic.

They won't leave the XCOM project without being at five panic at the end of the month. You will get a warning message once they hit that threshold specific for that country.

Mike M

Nick N
How do you use the Ghost Armor effectively? I've got it on my Assault guys, but it doesn't seem so great. I think it's the fact they've got Close Quarters and will pop off a shot and decloak when an enemy gets near them, revealing themselves to other aliens. Not as useful as I had hoped...

Protein

Banned
FUCK this FUCKING Terror Mission in Mexico up the FUCKING BUTT! >_<

I start outside a huge two-storey building. All the civilians are inside. Pretty much all the aliens are also inside. There are about 9 Chrysallids, a Cyberdisk, a drone, and there's a Muton and a Berserker somewhere behind the building. If I approach it slow, civilians start to die and more zombies start to pop up. There's no way to approach "fast" either, because this is XCOM and I don't want everyone to fucking die. To make matters worse, the camera is fucking abysmal inside the building. I can't even tell what the first floor, and what is the second floor, and what is the roof. The outlines get all fucked up, aiming grenades and battle scanners is a total pain in the ass, arhgarhagrhaghrah.

Firaxis why did you make stupid missions like this?! >_<

I had something similar.

I was on one side of the map. Had to assault a building. Inside was 2 Sectopods on the secondfloor, like 6 Heavy Floaters, 4 Chrysalids that quickly became 10 Chrysalids, 1 Cyberdisk. All the civvies were on the bottom floor and like 6 got wasted within the first turn.

Fuck that shit. You know what game? Fuck you. You know what aliens? Fuck you too. I just nuked the whole building with like 6 plasma rockets [from 3 Heavies] 1 civilian survived and all the aliens died.

"Brazil has withdrawn from the XCOM project!"

So I lost South America entirely for some reason. NO SOUTH AMERICA, I DIDN'T LOSE YOU, YOU LOST ME.

Grimsen

How do you use the Ghost Armor effectively? I've got it on my Assault guys, but it doesn't seem so great. I think it's the fact they've got Close Quarters and will pop off a shot and decloak when an enemy gets near them, revealing themselves to other aliens. Not as useful as I had hoped...

If you're scouting with an assault, don't end your turn too close from enemies, that way you won't trigger the reaction shot.

Use the cloak before going for a kill for pretty much guaranteed crit damage.

Had a couple of annoying freezes today. It's not that the game stops working, it just seems to get stuck on alien activity sometimes and I have to force it to close.

Ketch

So what should my strategy be for this VIP mission on classic ironman? Get to the extraction as fast as possible? Or just move the package safely... Do you keep the VIP surrounded by your guys? or keep him way in back? 3 HPs is not enough.

Miletius

So what should my strategy be for this VIP mission on classic ironman? Get to the extraction as fast as possible? Or just move the package safely... Do you keep the VIP surrounded by your guys? or keep him way in back? 3 HPs is not enough.

Move front line troops forward to clear the way, have snipers well positioned to kill anything that drops forward and back. Keep the VIP back until things are clear from initial spawns and then have your guys ready to kill any drop ins.

I usually just move the VIP from high cover to high cover, sometimes that means dashing forward.

Wunder

Is there anyway to watch a 'replay' of your mission? I'd love to write a narrative of some of my missions but I obviously don't know which ones will be crazy/difficult before going into them, nor am I willing to screenshot every mission just in case shit pops off. If I want to do something like this, should I just start taking screenshots for every 'difficult' mission?

Ketch

Is there anyway to watch a 'replay' of your mission? I'd love to write a narrative of some of my missions but I obviously don't know which ones will be crazy/difficult before going into them, nor am I willing to screenshot every mission just in case shit pops off. If I want to do something like this, should I just start taking screenshots for every 'difficult' mission?

No replay function, but it's an awesome idea, and seems like it's in high demand.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Assault gets bonus HP from heavier armor so you typically want to put assault in Titan armor, not Ghost.

Support, on the other hand, can use Ghost to great effect as forward scouts/observers. If you suspect/know you're about to make contact, make your first move, ghost, then make your 2nd, hopefully spotting the enemy without them being able to see you. Then your snipers rip them a new one for 2 turns. Rinse and repeat until the level is complete or you run out of ghost charges.

Helznicht

Can you play this local multiplayer? 2 people on 1 xbox and TV?

Thinking about picking this up, the demo reminded me of Space Hulk (40k), one of my favorite board games.

Ketch

Assault gets bonus HP from heavier armor so you typically want to put assault in Titan armor, not Ghost.

Where does it surface this info? I want to know if there's anything else like this I'm missing.

Can you play this local multiplayer? 2 people on 1 xbox and TV?

Thinking about picking this up, the demo reminded me of Space Hulk (40k), one of my favorite board games.

I'm can't answer your question, but wouldn't being able to see the other guys... guys, kind of ruin it?

Also, I want to know what is going on at Firaxis right now. Are they working on patches? DLC? Holloween special mission, wave based zombie survival mode? (I hope not)
I hope so

SJRB

Gold Member
+1 for the Earth Defence Force: I just purchased it on GMG, downloading on Steam right now.

I'm psyched!

kurahador

Owh man...would be awesome to see a cinematic replay function.

steadfast

I don't know if I've ever had a bigger love/hate relationship with a game or played one for this long that is a constant test of my patience. If I don't remember to slow down and choose to dash everywhere, the game just fucking PUNISHES me. I know it's my fault; I don't feel the computer cheated. It's a rare game that does this.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the game three times this past weekend in fits of rage, each time to come back to it, apologize, reinstall and then play again.

Right now, we're still on speaking terms and it continues to reside on my hard drive.

This game.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Use it to scout and get the drop on enemies by abusing cloak and squad sight.

Giving assaults ghost armor or titan armor is fine. I prefer ghost since it gives them extra movement. The extra defense synergizes well with Tactical Sense, too.

You can also use close quarter combat with it effectively as well.

Say you come across a group of 3 stationary mutons while ghosted. Park your ghosted assault (with alloy cannon) next to one of them. End your turn. Next turn you will be revealed, but that won't aggro the mutons yet. Use your sniper to one shot one of the other 2 mutons that your assault isn't standing next to. When you kill it, the reveal animation will trigger, causing your assault to close quarters combat fire on the muton next to him, killing it. Then, you can still use your assault to move and fire on the last muton left.

Ketch

I don't know if I've ever had a bigger love/hate relationship with a game or played one for this long that is a constant test of my patience. If I don't remember to slow down and choose to dash everywhere, the game just fucking PUNISHES me. I know it's my fault; I don't feel the computer cheated. It's a rare game that does this.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the game three times this past weekend in fits of rage, each time to come back to it, apologize, reinstall and then play again.

Right now, we're still on speaking terms and it continues to reside on my hard drive.

This game.

That's what I love about this game... the tension feels so completely organic. Like you don't have to move your dudes up one at a time, cover to cover, overwatching each other... and you might be ok, or you might be totally F'd. You have to choose to play safe, move up inch by inch, and every turn just builds and builds and builds until finally a patrol pops and your patience pays off.

Most games have like spawn points or monster closets where they're "gonna getcha!" no matter what you do, in XCOM you get to choose to do that to yourself... and the consequences are steep (or can be).

It also has that element in in the strategic layer as well, most games we'll do something like "You reached plot point X, now you have laser rifles!". Where in XCOM you have to get the laser rifles on your own, or you don't even have to, or you could choose to neglect satellites and get laser rifles right now... The game has no problems letting you totally screw yourself. No hand holding here.

coldfoot

Banned
I believe it's impossible to lose the VIP before you see him. In VIP missions, it seems like the aliens just stay still waiting to be triggered/discovered. And after getting someone next to the VIP, make sure EVERYONE ELSE is on overwatch because aliens will teleport between you and the extraction area. With overwatch, they'll get murdered right away.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How? I've game-overed twice after about 6-7 hours per game. I'm OK during the missions, but countries leave me like it's going out of fashion. I get OK satellite coverage but clearly I'm doing something wrong or moving too fast somewhere. It's soul destroying...getting a decent squad together but the game ends because I've no council members.

The alien base reduces panic wordwide everywhere. I was about to lose 3-4 at once and did that on the very last day to save my ass, the time it bought let me get the satellites cranked out since I finally had more uplinks being made.

I was basically planning on letting quite a few areas leave and focused on panic in other areas but it ended up working out thanks to the base.

Mike M

Nick N
I've never had a problem with a VIP mission, though that may be because I'm playing in Normal difficulty. I don't move the VIP until I clear out the Thin Men, then when they all spawn in Overwatch, they're pretty easy pickings.

Ketch

I believe it's impossible to lose the VIP before you see him. In VIP missions, it seems like the aliens just stay still waiting to be triggered/discovered. And after getting someone next to the VIP, make sure EVERYONE ELSE is on overwatch because aliens will teleport between you and the extraction area. With overwatch, they'll get murdered right away.

I'm talking about VIP missions where your squad already spawns with the VIP and you just need to get to the extraction point.

I've never had a problem with a VIP mission, though that may be because I'm playing in Normal difficulty. I don't move the VIP until I clear out the Thin Men, then when they all spawn in Overwatch, they're pretty easy pickings.

VIP missions are a whole nother animal on classic. The first VIP mission I did this playthrough (classic ironman) ended with 3 of 4 dudes dead before I even got the VIP out.. then I had to clear out the remaining xenos with 1 assault.

This time I've brought mostly rookies and one or two sergeants along... not gonna risk 6 of my best dudes for one VIP.

thisbeard

XCOM GAF,

It's my first time playing an XCOM game and I'm really enjoying it so far (especially fond of the constant unlocking of research and reading the lore). What is less enjoyable though, is trying to tell the difference between game bugs or game mechanics. For instance, the other day I lost a squad member to a critical hit and the game indicated he was deceased. I decided to move my medic with the revive ability near him as I thought I would be able to resuscitate him but the game indicated there was ''No target''. I tried moving my medic in several different positions around the dead body but no luck. I even tried checking the internet for a better description of the medic's ''Revive'' ability but could not find anything. So, did I not correctly interpret that ability's description? And if not, could someone please clarify its purpose? I know I might be foolish to even think it would be that easy to resuscitate squad members. ''Casualties are going to happen'', ''that's XCOM Baby!'' and all that jazz. I would just like a bit more info...

SJRB

Gold Member
Well this game does not fool around - half my crew got killed in one turn.

And I'm still in the tutorial section..!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
XCOM GAF,

It's my first time playing an XCOM game and I'm really enjoying it so far (especially fond of the constant unlocking of research and reading the lore). What is less enjoyable though, is trying to tell the difference between game bugs or game mechanics. For instance, the other day I lost a squad member to a critical hit and the game indicated he was deceased. I decided to move my medic with the revive ability near him as I thought I would be able to resuscitate him but the game indicated there was ''No target''. I tried moving my medic in several different positions around the dead body but no luck. I even tried checking the internet for a better description of the medic's ''Revive'' ability but could not find anything. So, did I not correctly interpret that ability's description? And if not, could someone please clarify its purpose? I know I might be foolish to even think it would be that easy to resuscitate squad members. ''Casualties are going to happen'', ''that's XCOM Baby!'' and all that jazz. I would just like a bit more info...

Supports not being able to heal was one of the most infuriating bugs I encountered during my run. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. Took the round several more turns before I could finally, for some inexplicable reason, heal my wounded soldier.

XCOM GAF,

Dead soldiers can't be revived, howeveer there's a chance that a killing blow will put the soldier into critical condition instead of killing him. If this happens, you have three turns to revive them before they bleed out and die.

Ketch

Sometimes when a dude dies, it'll says he's just "critically wounded", and you get like 3 turns to use the revive ability on him or he's gone for good.

"Your next mission will be deep in the Nigerian interior. At this Applebees bar and grill."

Hahaha. Nice.

That actually makes me wish some of the abduction/terror/council missions took place just in the woods or in an old run-down town with shacks. God I hope they release more maps.

Top Bottom