• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

demidar

Capturing an Ethereal yields All Research credit (and maybe some foundry stuff as well). Worth it if you have lots of outstanding research left.

coldfoot

Banned
It's nice on snipers, but I really get the most use out of it on bullet swarm heavies. My sniper is usually way too far away to use psi abilities at all. Whereas heavies benefit hugely from a decent-range accurate attack that can be used as a 'finisher' in case that guy didn't die from the first shot.

It's nice when you're training low level snipers who have not gotten the squad sight perk yet :)

Wunder

Fucking shit. I've lost Russia, Egypt and South Africa. UK is on Panic5 and I lost my Major ranked Support in that last UFO crash, who was also carrying my fucking arc thrower. God damnit I hate this fucking arc thrower. I am still on the
capture the outsider
part of the story and I'm in fucking July. I don't know if that's way behind but it sure feels like it. I hardly get any UFO crashes now and anyone I give an arc thrower to will almost surely die on that mission. I'm not on an abduction in the UK with 3 snipers and 3 rookies because my SHIVs are still building. GAH I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO

EDIT: Why the hell am I spoilering shit when you guys are talking about end-game. I'm so dumb

Guys, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I didn't see the answer in the OP or in any reviews I've read. How well does this game play on an XBOX controller vs a PC mouse? I ask because I only have a netbook, so XBOX is my only option.

McNum

Guys, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I didn't see the answer in the OP or in any reviews I've read. How well does this game play on an XBOX controller vs a PC mouse I ask because I only have a netbook, so XBOX is my only option.
It's pretty much even. Controller has some advantages, especially in indoor missions, and mouse/keyboard has some advantages, mainly concerning more info on the UI. But it's all little things, the game plays equally well on either.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Guys, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I didn't see the answer in the OP or in any reviews I've read. How well does this game play on an XBOX controller vs a PC mouse? I ask because I only have a netbook, so XBOX is my only option.

It plays much better with controller, IMHO. I use both and generally prefer m/k controls but in this game it is fairly obvious which scheme they had in mind during most of the development process.

It's pretty much even. Controller has some advantages, especially in indoor missions, and mouse/keyboard has some advantages, mainly concerning more info on the UI. But it's all little things, the game plays equally well on either.

It plays much better with controller, IMHO. I use both and generally prefer m/k controls but in this game it is fairly obvious which scheme they had in mind during most of the development process.

Thank you.

This game was completely off my radar, but after reading the reviews it's an instant buy for me.

Dynamic3

Fucking shit. I've lost Russia, Egypt and South Africa. UK is on Panic5 and I lost my Major ranked Support in that last UFO crash, who was also carrying my fucking arc thrower. God damnit I hate this fucking arc thrower. I am still on the
capture the outsider
part of the story and I'm in fucking July. I don't know if that's way behind but it sure feels like it. I hardly get any UFO crashes now and anyone I give an arc thrower to will almost surely die on that mission. I'm not on an abduction in the UK with 3 snipers and 3 rookies because my SHIVs are still building. GAH I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO

EDIT: Why the hell am I spoilering shit when you guys are talking about end-game. I'm so dumb

I just found out the hard way that, for some reason, you cannot use the arc after run & gun.

duckroll

HOLY INTENSITY!

I cleared a Council mission, with a ton of my guys injured, I have another 3 guys undergoing Psi-testing, and BAM, just 1-2 days after the mission there's a UFO landing in Russia! I find I only have 3 active soldiers left: one is my other ace sniper (the main one is in Psi testing fffff!) who just maxed out his rank and got double tap, one is my super psi-assault, and the last guy is a rather new heavy who only just got promoted to sergeant.

3 man mission against a UFO landing... no way I'm going to do this... but I gotta try! Within the first few turns, I'm totally wiping the mutons running at me with my sniper, the heavy is pulling his weight in battle with some well placed shots and he takes out some floaters with his rockets. It's looking good... Nooooooooo a muton who wasn't accounted for got off a stray shot and KILLS the heavy. Fuck! But he leaves himself exposed, and doesn't last long himself.

From there, I take it really slow, using my assault to spot and pull enemies, while taking them out with my sniper. I make it all the way through the ship, have some awesome moments where everything goes right. I make it all the way to the end of the ship, and I open the final door: two Sectoid Commanders RIGHT right front of the door!

They get their free move, but one moves right into range to trigger my assault's close-range reaction shot. BAM, half his health is gone. I fire with my assault again, BAM, he's down. Then my sniper tries to take a shot at the remaining commander right in front of him: 34% accuracy. WTF. He fires his normal shot, he MISSES. Fuck! Double Tap! I pick headshot this time... it's still 34%, but BAM *critical hit* 17 damage! Victory!

That felt so fucking good!

Ketch

classic ironman is kicking my ass. Had to restart for the 2nd time last night.... and I was doing really good in the strategy layer AGAIN. I feel like I'm doing everything right... got enough satellites, got enough jets, get laser weapons quick, b-line to alien base.. but I just keep getting smoked on misisons..

I keep running into this brick wall in combat. Like I'll be doing good, doing good, and then bam all my dudes are killed, and then I get wiped again and again... unsustainable. What do you guys prioritize when it comes to tech for your soldiers?

Or what load outs do you use? Do you always send your 4 - 6 lowest ranking dudes on missions? What am I doing wrong?!

Danj

Anyone got any tips for the final mission? I've tried it a couple of times now but can't seem to get past the
two Sectopods
, and if I do I usually just have the one dude left who gets creamed by the
shitload of Ethereals in the next room

Anyone got any tips for the final mission? I've tried it a couple of times now but can't seem to get past the
two Sectopods

Spoilered bit 1: Blaster Launchers+HEAT ammo.
Spoilered bit 2: 2x squadsight double-tap snipers, you don't have to kill anything
but the Uber Ethereral
. In a pinch rapid fire, run-and-gun alloy shotgun Assaults should also work. Pop PSI inspiration before you start the room.

demidar

I honestly didn't have trouble with the dual sectopods on my normal IM run. I just lined my dude up on the balcony and had my sniper fly up beyond their attack range. Then pummel them with plasma fire from all direction. I have never once been hit by the scetopod's artillery before.

two Sectopods

Kept my two snipers out of range and used an assault in ghost armor, cloaked, to run up to the edge of the balcony and spot for them. He'd then retreat and with double tap the sectopods didn't know what hit them. You only need to take out the main ethereal btw.

Protein

Banned
My 'critically wounded' soldier got bug-ragdoll'd into the underworld [bottom of the map] by a far away explosion and then got killed. What the fuck man?

Mike M

Nick N
Having finished the main campaign, I decided to try Multiplayer. I can't connect though, the game (360 version here) tells me that the other user is playing a different version of the game.

What?

epmode

Having finished the main campaign, I decided to try Multiplayer. I can't connect though, the game (360 version here) tells me that the other user is playing a different version of the game.

What?
I bet only one of you has the customization DLC.

Miletius

two Sectopods

The ability your 'savior' gets for the last mission can kill both secopods in 2 turns provided they don't move. Just approach from the sides in high cover and set it off, then run like the dickens away from there.

Hargenx

OK, that's for stop playing a while...

All set, last mission before the last mission(LOL), help some doctor to get out of his labs, all fine, destroying every single alien, no harm in my team, last alien I try to show up to the crowd...

prepare missile...

launch...

Kill 3 of my man, the doctor and the fucking alien kill the other one, I turn of the game and cry on internet.

I LOVE YOU XCOM!

Mike M

Nick N
two Sectopods

A heavy with HEAT ammo, Blaster Launcher, and Rocketeer perk is pretty devestating, as is a sniper with archangel armor and Double Tap. The Volunteer's rift ability is great too. For defense, I had one psi guy cast TK shield every turn, so the Sectopods missed with their attacks.

For the final fight, my first move (well, once he was revealed) was to double tap the uber ethereal with my sniper, which put him down.

Went out and picked up a copy, I had been waiting for gamefly to send me it but the waiting got too hard, only so many times I can play through that short demo.

I think I'm going to go with Classic-Ironman, is that suicide? I never played the original, but I've been watching a lot of streams and think I can handle it.

edit: Bonus, I bought it from Gamestop and got a Elite Pack voucher inside. Sweet!

edit: OMG, fucking PSN updates. Fuck you Sony. :\

The ability your 'savior' gets for the last mission can kill both secopods in 2 turns provided they don't move. Just approach from the sides in high cover and set it off, then run like the dickens away from there.

This exactly. I snuck him up along the side, activated the rift and the two sectopods blew right the hell up. It does higher damage against units with low will and I guess robots have none.

Edit: This post was about the final mission, didn't want to have a block of spoiler text only.

atomico

My 5th mission was a Council request. They needed me to rescue some dude.

The plasma starts a-flying and only my Heavy and Sniper are still standing. But we make do and get to him, after killing literarily a dozen aliens.

We're almost back to the ship, but the game throws me a curve ball, and spawns 2 Thin Men right next to the guy, both on Overwatch.

Next thing I know, Sniper Girl says "Adjusting sights", and Heavy fella yells "Shot wide!". The aliens' aim, however, was impeccable, and VIP goes down like a bag of sand. A flailing, bloody bag of sand.

I shut down the computer before dispatch guy could finish his "return to base" order.

And so, another Classic Ironman attempt ends. But I can't wait to start another one tonight. Fuck this game. I love it.

Aaron

Got a request for 8 plasma rifles that earned me over 3,000 monies! Makes me wish there were pointless cosmetic items in the game you could waste money on.

Tess3ract

Banned
What are you fucking talking about? They were developed at the same time, and they made the pc and console uis at the same time.

If anything the mouse lagginess sucks but that's a UE3 issue you can fix.

Ganondorfo

Is this game like fire emblem/tactics ogre/final fantasy tactics/front mission 3 with humans vs aliens with a deep epic storyline?

What are you fucking talking about? They were developed at the same time, and they made the pc and console uis at the same time.

If anything the mouse lagginess sucks but that's a UE3 issue you can fix.

Wow, way to be a dick.

Mouse lag is not the only thing wrong with kb/mouse controls in this game. It is VERY clear this game was done with a controller in mind first and foremost.

Tess3ract

Banned
Wow, way to be a dick.

Mouse lag is not the only thing wrong with kb/mouse controls in this game. It is VERY clear this game was done with a controller in mind first and foremost.
I played for 6 hours+ last night. I increased the sensitivity and had no issues. Things Behaved as they should. What's wrong with it?

However I'm not wrong with the development timeframe tho...

I played for 6 hours+ last night. I increased the sensitivity and had no issues. Things Behaved as they should. What's wrong with it?

However I'm not wrong with the development timeframe tho...

Increasing the sensitivity won't fix the mouse lag, it'll just make it move faster. I mentioned my problems with it previously:

Metalmurphy said:
Primary reason why I switched to controllers.

Many times my mouse is on top of a grid and the character just moves to the level below because there was another grid behind it.

To get to the actual grid I want I have to move the camera around until one of the angles, and it isn't even the most logical one, actually lets me select the grid on top.

Also the zoom is messed up with kb+mouse. Both in combat and in the HQ.

And to add to that, the fact that the same skill is bound to different keys on different soldiers is another dead giveaway they they just grabbed the controller UI and slapped numbers on them. And it's probably the first game I played with hotkeys where you need to press space afterwards.

I started a Classic after finishing my Normal game (both Ironman). Yikes, this is a lot harder. A couple of lone aliens can now be terrifying, god damn those critical hits... My first terror mission was terrible. My squad was spread out when three Chryssalids marched in. I figured it could take out two of them before they could strike. Alas, only one died and the other two instakilled both a soldier (out of four total). One turn later, my rookie tried to run for her life from the one remaining Chryssalid and two zombies.
38778514214C934A0AAC633E45F816827C2A6B69
Bye Australia.

Also had some luck during some of my did not think that through moments. I was inside a medium UFO and wanted to stun the Outsider (who had already had a full turn). Threw a grenade to soften him up and blow up the cover. Next step, charge in with my heavy for the stun. Outsider takes reaction shot... crap. I was holding my breath.

Tess3ract

Banned
Increasing the sensitivity won't fix the mouse lag, it'll just make it move faster. I mentioned my problems with it previously:

And to add to that, the fact that the same skill is bound to different keys on different soldiers is another dead giveaway they they just grabbed the controller UI and slapped numbers on them. And it's probably the first game I played with hotkeys where you need to press space afterwards.
About that, I said it's a simple ini fix.
My mouse sensitivity/control sucks!

You can adjust mouse sensitivity in XComInput.ini or DefaultInput.ini, but more likely you are experiencing a common problem with mouse lag in the Unreal3 engine. You can fix this by opening XComEngine.ini or DefaultEngine.ini and finding the option for "OneFrameThreadLag=True" and changing it to False.

Also a good post:

The demo came out and there has been so much lamenting of the UI. Some people have had flawless times with it while others complain of it being too 'consolized'. After much posting between myself and a few that answered I have the following to say on the UI.

Visually it is unobtrusive and mechanically is supports input selection in at least three different ways. To do most any action in combat there are multiple ways to do it depending on what feels most comfortable to you the user. To use the most common action of shooting an alien as an example you can;

Click on the alien directly on the map to pull up the fire/hit chance window.
Press the 1 key on the keyboard and use Tab to re-target as desired.
Use keyboard < and > keys to navigate the action buttons at the bottom of the screen and press space to make your selection.
Click on the 'enemy sighted' icons that appear in the corner of the screen. This works much like the original game with the flashing red numbers that would center the camera on aliens.

There is any number of ways to use the UI to do what you want in the most comfortable and fluid for you ways possible. The only downside is that at least in the demo there is a clear lack of documentation telling you all this. The tutorials pop up and tell you the bare minimum of 'click here, then here to preform action'. They do not supply a quick reference sheet in the demo or clue you in to things like pressing Y is a shortcut to overwatch.

Byers2142 made this very nice graphic explaining the controls in picture form.

A9841.png

Oh god the demo is terrible and wont let go of my hand.

The demo is nothing more than the first half of the tutorial missions. The tutorial is entirely skipable in the full game.

During the first mission you are right that is really does hand hold you through the entire thing. You can not do anything but click where the tutorial tells you too. The entire thing is one big script. This is to emphasize at least one incredibly important point to new players. Cover matters! A LOT!.

In the original game, JA2, the UFO series, etc. cover was always there in a way, but never as a core mechanic that movement and planning were designed around. The first mission is there to tell you that you should always be moving from cover to cover. Do not sit out in the open street or you will get killed. There are huge increases in the amount of damage a soldier will take when they are in the open or flanked vs in cover.

The second mission is hands free. You only have to suffer through two actions of tutorial explaining how to open doors with out busting through them, and that ladders and storm drains exist so you may climb them onto roofs and what not. After two moves it is hands free and you can play the mission out how ever you like.

No you can't capture the thin men alive at the end of the mission.
Everyone seems to ask this. You are not given the stun gun in the demo, thus you can not capture them. Capturing aliens alive is an important thing in the full game as it unlocks research, interrogations, and live aliens do not have their weapons and equipment explode into fragments.

The Demo's difficulty level is locked to beginner by default. This can be fixed by finding the /engine/config/BaseGame.ini file in the demo install directory. The sixth line down should read like 'GameDifficulty=+0.0' Change the value to 1 for normal, 2 for classic, or 3 for impossible difficulties.

RPS also has a very good article about their experiences with the press release given to them vs the demo that people are either ranting or raving about. Check it out first if you think the demo was terrible.

H3xum

So this game appeals to me a ton....

...for reasons I can not explain as I've never played a game of this genre, honestly the closest is Civ's Rev's.

But I want this game, I want to get into it. Hows the curve on this game? Should I pick something else up first or do you think this is accessible enough to take my virginity.

mAcOdIn

So this game appeals to me a ton....

...for reasons I can not explain as I've never played a game of this genre, honestly the closest is Civ's Rev's.

But I want this game, I want to get into it. Hows the curve on this game? Should I pick something else up first or do you think this is accessible enough to take my virginity.
It's super accessible, way more forgiving and simplified than than the original too so really I think there's no better place to start.

Uthred

I have the Elite Soldier Pack but after completing the game twice I dont recall seeing Hyperion or Reaper armour. Are they simply the "Deco" option?

Top Bottom