• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Your starting soldiers' base HP is dependent on your difficulty, but new recruits always start with 6 base HP. And different classes gain HP at different rates when ranking up.

Starting base HP is:
Easy = 6
Normal = 5
Classic = 4
Impossible = 3

And new recruits get easy mode HP.

Why do new recruits start with easy mode HP? That seems strange, now when my dudes rank up they lose HP.

See that says that rookies have 4 HP in classic, so it must be a bug that they're have 6 in my game.

Not that it makes any difference, I just got totally worked over on a second straight mission, lost 3 guys, lost my only ranked soldiers, and had to abandon the mission with 1 guy left. Now I'm down to 5 total soldiers. If I screw up again I'll have to drip into the gray market to get more soldiers. The council is going to have my balls for this.

Dartastic

Ladee daa dee daa... Oh I'm gonna get next to this UFO door... OH WAIT THE FUCKING CAMERA ANGLE FUCK FUCK I ENTERED THE DOOR FUCK NOOOOO THERE ARE TWO MIND CONTROLLING ALIENS FUCK NOOOOO *cue my highest ranking officer dying*

Fuck this game. *restarts mission*

TTG

3 missions on classic ironman done, 2 soldiers lost. Both squaddies! I could have prevented one death, but I really didn't think a sectoid would go all kamikaze to get at my dude.

I've never played this game before. Played it today for 20 mins on a buddies computer. Decide, it's pretty damn good and now have it downloading.

Question: what is a good difficulty for me? I enjoy a challenge and play almost all my games on Hard/Very Hard. BUT, I don't really play strategy games. What to do what to do. I don't want to be able to just kill everything instantly as that is boring as hell and just plain sucks. I just want a fair challenge. Suggestions?

Jintor

Normal means you won't get screwed by the metagame without realising how to play, and it'll still kick your ass completely if you don't pay attention, but it'll take you a while to get to the 'roll over every alien in your path' point and if you get bored by that point you can just restart on classic or something.

TTG

I've never played this game before. Played it today for 20 mins on a buddies computer. Decide, it's pretty damn good and now have it downloading.

Question: what is a good difficulty for me? I enjoy a challenge and play almost all my games on Hard/Very Hard. BUT, I don't really play strategy games. What to do what to do. I don't want to be able to just kill everything instantly as that is boring as hell and just plain sucks. I just want a fair challenge. Suggestions?

Classic, just read up on... BUYING AS MANY SATELLITES AS POSSIBLE EARLY!!! Unless you're obsessive about your games going as close to perfect as possible, in which case you may want to go with normal. But then again, XCOM is always actively trying to bump you out of the comfort zone, so if you're knocking down the difficulty or reloading a lot to avoid that, you're missing out a little bit.

Also, not to take anything away from Jintor's point, but I see people saying to restart for one reason or another. I think being fans of this game, we sometimes lose perspective. It's a relatively long game, most people probably don't want to be planning 2 playthroughs or stopping midway to start over. That adds up to well over 20 hours of gameplay quickly that way.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I would suggest normal ironman to start. Normal is not that hard to begin with, but the inability to reload saves ups the difficulty level and makes you learn how to deal with setbacks.

Mindlog

I have a problem. I like sending red-shirts into dangerous situations. I know they're going to get shot, but I can't help myself.

Sober

I have the possibility of researching a plasma pistol... in ONLY 60 DAYS!
Is there a crazy research/cost multiplier in classic/impossble? Been playing on normal and nothing has ever taken longer than maybe 12 days to research. You have to have like 3 scientists or something. I didn't even build any extra labs in this playthrough.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
How exactly does base HP work? I was looking at the stats of my soldiers and my 2 squaddie supports have 5+1 HP, the squaddie snipers has 4+1, and all my rooks have 6+1. That doesn't seem to make any sense.

I'm going to guess that all of those rookies are troopers that you have bought. Purchased troops have easy mode HP while the troopers you start with have the proper HP for the difficulty level you are on. Dunno what the difference is between the 4/5 troops are.

EDIT: Dammit, didn't see the other page. >_<

TTG

Is there a crazy research/cost multiplier in classic/impossble? Been playing on normal and nothing has ever taken longer than maybe 12 days to research. You have to have like 3 scientists or something. I didn't even build any extra labs in this playthrough.

No, but I went for engineers to get some satellites up ASAP. No labs and whatever the starting scientist count is makes for slow research times. I suppose I can only research the plasma pistol at this point because a sectoid got his brain scrambled when I knocked out the buddy he was linked with, thus dropping a plasma pistol(which is the starting weapon they get on classic).

2 Labs linked makes a lot of sense. Unlike workshops, they only speed up research time and it's well worth it. Also, covering South America(with satellites) is great because it nets you the ability to do all interrogations and autopsies instantly. There's not gonna be a lot of interrogations going on, since this run is classic ironman, but still.

TTG

Why aren't all of the stats they show after the credits available during... the actual game? I'm not asking for the world here.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You don't know true pain until you miss a 99% shot with an assault shotgun. They're in grave danger with a miss like that.

Zeliard

Missing 95+% shots hurts.

But then you also have those times when you're almost certain that a low % shot will miss, but you have to take it anyway, and then it hits and it's just awesome.

duckroll

You don't know true pain until you miss a 99% shot with an assault shotgun. They're in grave danger with a miss like that.

This is why I always try to make sure the units closest to the enemies go first during a turn, so if the shot goes bad, I can try and scramble a backup plan with the remaining units.

Ketch

classic is kicking my ass. Seriously, I can't get past 3 months tops... and I dont' know what I'm doing wrong... I'm putting up satellites, I'm teching up fine, all my guys are getting levels.. but it just seems like eventually I get to the point where I wipe 3 squads in a row, and there's just no coming back from that.

SJRB

Gold Member
This game is strangely addicting, but the no-autosave really screwed me over last night. The user interface disappeared when I was in the main base screen, it zoomed in on the research lab but I couldn't do anything other than quit or reload on older save. Which was a save from two missions prior. Most unfortunate, but I understand why it's not on by default.

I also don't fully understand the cover mechanic. Or I guess I do?. If a soldier is behind a full shield cover, how can he still get hit from (often) impossible angles? What is the point of stacking up against full-shield cover locations? It decreases hit chances, I suppose. Does that mean there is no 100% cover and that every enemy attack is basically a diceroll regardless of cover?

I have to admit I got pretty angry when my badass support bro Tombstone got killed from behind a full-shield cover. Nothing makes me rage more than missing a 90% chance shot from two tiles away though.

Finished the huge battleship UFO, that rocket launcher is FUN!!!

Now almost lost my sniper and Support is out of Medkits, got rushed my Elite Mutons, a Sectopod spawned in the middle of my team, and Heavy Floater somehow got in through the solid roof. Fun times.

Alien Base still not done!

I also don't fully understand the cover mechanic. Or I guess I do?. If a soldier is behind a full shield cover, how can he still get hit from (often) impossible angles? What is the point of stacking up against full-shield cover locations? It decreases hit chances, I suppose. Does that mean there is no 100% cover and that every enemy attack is basically a diceroll regardless of cover?

First rule of new XCOM: range doesn't matter except sniper rifle (short distance to the target = less accuracy) and shotgun (longer distance to the target = less accuracy), as well as your LoS. You can hit everything in your LoS and weapon range with the same percentage chance given the cover and elevation is constant. Your base percentage to hit equals your Offense, partial cover subtracts 20 = 20% to hit, full cover 40 = 40% to hit. Same is true with aliens.

Second rule: if you see them and can fire at them, they see you in 99% of the cases and can fire at you. Doesn't matter if you are hiding near the door frame and "they cannot shoot me through the wall!". No they can't, but the game takes the calculations mentioned above and makes them "shoot and hit you while you were peeking out like the damn rookie that you are".

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This game is strangely addicting, but the no-autosave really screwed me over last night. The user interface disappeared when I was in the main base screen, it zoomed in on the research lab but I couldn't do anything other than quit or reload on older save. Which was a save from two missions prior. Most unfortunate, but I understand why it's not on by default.

I have to admit I got pretty angry when my badass support bro Tombstone got killed from behind a full-shield cover. Nothing makes me rage more than missing a 90% chance shot from two tiles away though.

Cover in this game is a little counter intuitive at first since people tend to think of the kind of material the cover is made out of, or the angle of the shot from the enemy, in order to judge cover's effectiveness.

All it is, though, is a reduction in the enemy's aim. Half cover is -20% aim, full cover is -40% aim.

Smoke grenades can reduce aim by a further 20%. Hunkering down can double whatever cover you currently have.

xenist

Imagine having a 30% chance to crit. That's pretty huge, right?

It's not just that I missed a 70% shot. I've missed much much higher stuff and kept going. It was the whole scenario. It was a bomb disposal mission. I am down to the last sectoid before disarming the bomb. I've already lost a rookie to a one shot kill but I kept going because I fucked up by not having her hunker down. Anyway I have the sectoid surrounded. I move an assault squadie with 5 HP left into firing range. The sectoid has 3 HP and I have, as I said, a 70% shot and elevation. I take the shot. I miss. It takes a shot. It crits. The squadie dies. My performance goes from good to poor. It was not a bad enough call to make to be punished this way.

sephi22

Hey guys. Long time reader first time poster here.

I just finished Dishonored and am considering buying either Sleeping Dogs or XCOM. How's the performance on PS3? I've heard users having framerate and slowdown issues. Any truth to that? Has any patch come out to fix this?

Help me PS3 bros

I think I'm finally going to suceed in a classic ironman run.

4 Colenels, one of each class 2 of which are pshycics
a few others above sqaudie rank
nothing left to research
noothing left to research in the foundry
noone has left the project and every country has a satelite
4 operational firestorms ( 2 laser cannon, 1 plasma, 1 EMP) and a fifth in the making
gollop chamber is building

TTG

Hey guys. Long time reader first time poster here.

I just finished Dishonored and am considering buying either Sleeping Dogs or XCOM. How's the performance on PS3? I've heard users having framerate and slowdown issues. Any truth to that? Has any patch come out to fix this?

Help me PS3 bros

Let me start with the good news, a lot of game breaking, "hit task manager" stuff doesn't happen on ps3. Not that it's immune to those bugs, but a lot of that seems to time out and reset. So, when a floater goes falling through the world because your rocket blasted him across the map, he'll keep going, but after 5-10 seconds the camera will swing back. Similarly, unending alien turns and points where there is slow motion(for dramatic camera).. you'll get control of the game back. Looking at it from the outside, it seems people have had to restart the game when these things occur on the pc. And that's it for the good news, really.

Framerate drops quite a bit, never in a place where it detracts from the gameplay. Part of that is because this just doesn't play like Halo, but also because it seems to struggle mostly when there are action shots. So, your guy is taking a shot and there is a close up and there's a lot of shit on screen, it will chug, but you have nothing to input at that point. Perhaps the most embarrassing slow down is when your base really starts to grow. The camera will go from a wide zoom to close regularly, and it always slows down. 5 years to make the game and they couldn't work around that.

I don't know how platform specific the other stuff is, but it's bad. It's only better than Skyrim because it never actually breaks permanently. It's also worth it.

TTG

First terror mission on classic ironman, JESUS CHRIST! I'm never splitting my team up again, no matter how small the map appears to be, at least not on terror missions.

3 killed, including a sniper with squad sight and an assault with run and gun and the 2 shots at a time thing. For a fraction of a second I thought my assault guy had a chance, but a zombie wacked him with a 13 point swipe. More than double his full health, sweet. 6 civillians saved... as if that matters.

EDIT: and the next mission is a wipe because it was a UFO landing full of floaters against 5 rookies. Only killed 5 E.Ts when it was over. AND DONE! I could probably recover, but 9 missions in, I don't see much of a point.

Darkone

Ok, so i tried doing the Overseer UFO mission and FUCK is that hard, backed away from that and now i am strengthening my soldiers, dam the Titan Armor is a great upgrade, can`t wait to get back there and kick their ASSES.

I think I'm finally going to suceed in a classic ironman run.

4 Colenels, one of each class 2 of which are pshycics
a few others above sqaudie rank
nothing left to research
noothing left to research in the foundry
noone has left the project and every country has a satelite
4 operational firestorms ( 2 laser cannon, 1 plasma, 1 EMP) and a fifth in the making
gollop chamber is building

YAY SUCESS

sephi22

Let me start with the good news, a lot of game breaking, "hit task manager" stuff doesn't happen on ps3. Not that it's immune to those bugs, but a lot of that seems to time out and reset. So, when a floater goes falling through the world because your rocket blasted him across the map, he'll keep going, but after 5-10 seconds the camera will swing back. Similarly, unending alien turns and points where there is slow motion(for dramatic camera).. you'll get control of the game back. Looking at it from the outside, it seems people have had to restart the game when these things occur on the pc. And that's it for the good news, really.

Framerate drops quite a bit, never in a place where it detracts from the gameplay. Part of that is because this just doesn't play like Halo, but also because it seems to struggle mostly when there are action shots. So, your guy is taking a shot and there is a close up and there's a lot of shit on screen, it will chug, but you have nothing to input at that point. Perhaps the most embarrassing slow down is when your base really starts to grow. The camera will go from a wide zoom to close regularly, and it always slows down. 5 years to make the game and they couldn't work around that.

I don't know how platform specific the other stuff is, but it's bad. It's only better than Skyrim because it never actually breaks permanently. It's also worth it.
Damn. That base slowdown sucks.
Too late though. Dude was selling both Sleeping Dogs and XCOM for $45 so naturally I went for the newer game.
xmZwm.jpg

So if I start a mission and see that I am gonna lose/overwhelmed can I abandon the mission via the same drop ship I came in on?

Earning money seems a bit slow. What/how should I be doing it? Missions don't seem to pop up enough to earn it. And it seems that I need satellites in order to get more missions, but I don't have enough for uplinks(?)/satellites. This game is awesome. It really is like a chess match.

Edit: At what point can I customize the color of my armor? Thanks for the help guys!

So if I start a mission and see that I am gonna lose/overwhelmed can I abandon the mission via the same drop ship I came in on?

Earning money seems a bit slow. What/how should I be doing it? Missions don't seem to pop up enough to earn it. And it seems that I need satellites in order to get more missions, but I don't have enough for uplinks(?)/satellites. This game is awesome. It really is like a chess match.

Edit: At what point can I customize the color of my armor? Thanks for the help guys!

You need to get all your soldiers in the evac zone then confirm the evac on your last soldier. You will lose everyone not in the evac zone.

To earn money you wait for missions, sell items on the grey market and get paid at the start of each month. Satellites do not give you more missions, they decrease panic levels over countries they are launched.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Impossible Ironman:

VIP rescue mission, Heavy has a chance to save the team by rocketing 2 sectoids who are mind merged with two other sectoids, giving me 4 kills and a path to victory.

Misses.

Sectoids kill VIP next turn.

rainbow_dash___table_flip_by_cptofthefriendship-d4ewbb3.png

First rule of new XCOM: range doesn't matter except sniper rifle (short distance to the target = less accuracy) and shotgun (longer distance to the target = less accuracy)

Actually range does matter. You will see aliens move to almost point blank range to shoot at some one in full cover if it's safe to do so. There are aim bonuses associated with extremely close range, but usually it's far too risky to go and do that as the player.

duckroll

Impossible Ironman:

VIP rescue mission, Heavy has a chance to save the team by rocketing 2 sectoids who are mind merged with two other sectoids, giving me 4 kills and a path to victory.

Misses.

Sectoids kill VIP next turn.

rainbow_dash___table_flip_by_cptofthefriendship-d4ewbb3.png

Wait, you can miss with rockets? How is that possible? I thought explosives were 100% AOE hits.

Top Bottom