• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

LuchaShaq

Banned
Is there any reason to continue capturing enemy types alive that you have already captured? Have had chances but just shot them to bits not thinking about this possibility.

mAcOdIn

Is there any reason to continue capturing enemy types alive that you have already captured? Have had chances but just shot them to bits not thinking about this possibility.
Stunning them retrieves their weapon intact while killing them instead nets you weapon fragments.

Damn, classic is serious business. Just finished my first mission after restarting without the tutorial and lost 3 guys, the last guy only survived by the skin of his balls.

Zertez

It is a good way to acquire plasma weapons without buying them as some have pointed out. It can be risky, but stunning muttons will equip your soldiers quickly without wasting any credits or materials.

mAcOdIn

Towards the end of Classic I discovered I actually needed the weapon fragments more than I needed the actual weapons, just for specific research.
That's happened to me in game too, I think it's absolutely insane that you can't "break down" a complete weapon.

Dragnet

Finally completed it and feel kind of weird. Game ended on a bit of a sour note for me..

-First off, that last mission is bullshit. Took me 3 tries on Normal Ironman. I know the game said 'no going back' and all but I really wasn't prepared enough, I'd lost my 2 out of my 3 favourite soldiers that I'd had since the start of the game the mission right before.

-My 3rd favourite soldier was 'the chosen one' which is annoying because he sacrificed himself and I didn't get the trophy for taking a soldier from the start to the end of the game. My own fault again I guess, but how was I to know he'd do that.

-The framerate got pretty fucking bad towards the end of the game, especially noticable now I've started a Classic Ironman run. So smooth! Please do better Firaxis.. PS3 version btw.

-The game itself was too buggy to be acceptable. Maybe early in this gens life cycle, but not at the tail end. Crashes, graphic glitches like all the icons turning purple and weird, stuttering, audio fuckups and probably other stuff too.

-The final cutscene either bugged out or was put together by an audio team of monkeys, because the music was super quiet, as were the sound effects. Everyones voices however were SUPER LOUD AND CLEAR LIKE THEY WERE RIGHT NEXT TO ME. Kind of a bummer having that final cutscene ruined.

-Also, my sacrifice soldier looked EXACTLY like the random civilian they first cut to looking up at the sky, which was also super weird.

Overall, I still really loved the game. The atmosphere was awesome, the mechanics were fantastic, the music was SO GOOD at getting me pumped up. Easily one of my favourite games of this gen, despite it's flaws. Really hoping for some substantial DLC soon. Starting my Classic Ironman run now, going to try and play a little differently. Last time round I think I used shotguns in maybe 2 or 3 missions at the very start of the game..more shotguns this time!

Desaan

It is a good way to acquire plasma weapons without buying them as some have pointed out. It can be risky, but stunning muttons will equip your soldiers quickly without wasting any credits or materials.

388588779_f641aa9afb.jpg

In the early-mid game, Sectoids, Thin Man and Floaters are nice targets for stunning. Sectoids give you plasma pistols, nice upgrade but very expensive to buy. The other two give you light plasma rifles, which are great weapons at that time, especially for rookies due to the Aim bonus.

Firebrand

-The final cutscene either bugged out or was put together by an audio team of monkeys, because the music was super quiet, as were the sound effects. Everyones voices however were SUPER LOUD AND CLEAR LIKE THEY WERE RIGHT NEXT TO ME. Kind of a bummer having that final cutscene ruined.
I had the mission music keep on playing over the final cutscenes. Similar issue with the cutscene when you first build the
psi labs.

Towards the end of Classic I discovered I actually needed the weapon fragments more than I needed the actual weapons, just for specific research.
I made the mistake of selling off a few dozen fragments, since I remembered having so many left over at the end of my normal game. Well, turns out when you actually have a good cash flow you also use more for the various foundry projects. Stalled my game as I couldn't research the new aircrafts (75 fragments), and I messed up on the
supply ship
mission.

Is the "World" stats that appear at the end of the game an average or the best record?

If it's Average, how on earth is the average score 77k? oO

If it's the best record then I just beat a bunch of them oO

*edit* It has to be the best record, there's no way the average on Interceptors lost is 0. Wohooo! I just beat a bunch of records!

Sorry for the rookie question, but what items can I sell on the grey market safely?

The ones that say you can sell them safely.

Other stuff you can sell depending on your needs but make sure you research it first and know what it builds into, even corpses build into one use items for interceptors or equipment.

Sorry for the rookie question, but what items can I sell on the grey market safely?

Damaged spaceship items can be sold, as well as some other ones (they let you know in green letters)

As for corpses, I'd advise you to hang on to at least 6 of each for upgrades, and sectoids/floaters/cyberdisks? as many as you can for interceptor modules.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ran into my first frustrating bug.

My Impossible Ironman attempt was going well until I ran into a sectoid that was invulnerable to grenades. I wasted 3 'nades on it. Since I broke cover to get in range with the grenades, it proceeded to kill one of my guys next turn, and during the rest of the mission I didn't have any more 'nades to get out of tight spots.

Everyone died.

:(

(no, there weren't any height discrepancies, I was using the 'nades properly)

I made the mistake of selling off a few dozen fragments, since I remembered having so many left over at the end of my normal game. Well, turns out when you actually have a good cash flow you also use more for the various foundry projects. Stalled my game as I couldn't research the new aircrafts (75 fragments), and I messed up on the
supply ship
mission.

I think my worst mistake in my Classic playthrough was selling a bunch of corpses early, especially the basic Sectoids. About mid-game, when you're attempting to
take down the Overseer
, I ended up short on corpses so I couldn't by the Aim/Boost/whatever you get from them to help with your Interceptors, so four or five UFOs ended up getting away because my Interceptors were so woefully underequipped.

Zomba13

Had this awesome experience yesterday but thought I'd post about it anyway.

Had a terror mission (forget where) and it was all Chrysalids. Managed to save about half the Civilians before shit got bad and the Chrysalids took out the last few survivors. I wanted to get everyone out (thought I could extract from the mission early by getting all 6 squad members to the jet) but on the way back things were getting bad. Lots of zombies and chrysalids charging. Managed to just about get everyone back but the realised I couldn't leave the mission early with all 6 guys (one wouldn't go inside the rectangle) so everyone was holding position at the evac zone and somehow we managed to blow all the enemies away as they charged at us. 'Good' rating on saving the civilians and no casualties (though a critical wound on one guy, lighter wounds on two others and after using all medpacks I had
on the mission).

Was so cool. I love this game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
any general tips for dealing with panic levels on classic?

McNum

any general tips for dealing with panic levels on classic?
Get the Alien Base mission ready. If things go bad, run it. It scales to the current month, and if you win, you knock panic down by 2 worldwide. The best single panic reducer in the game.

So is there a consequence to skipping the main story missions grind the "random" missions? I mean can I put off the main missions to build for a while and then go back to the main story mission?

nonnocere

So is there a consequence to skipping the main story missions grind the "random" missions? I mean can I put off the main missions to build for a while and then go back to the main story mission?

You'll get downgraded in your monthly reports, but nothing too serious if you're keeping panic down.

Tess3ract

Banned
I tried going and playing UFO Defense on a computer that can't run EM, since I'm not at home.

I'm so bad at this game, it's so clunky. but it's still so good

And enemies get tougher regardless of whether you continue on the story missions.

Do aliens hit a difficulty ceiling if you just sit around doing nothing, like say wait around for two years? Does it go like, 10 Sectopods per mission or something?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Do aliens hit a difficulty ceiling if you just sit around doing nothing, like say wait around for two years? Does it go like, 10 Sectopods per mission or something?

Doesn't seem that way. In my last classic playthough, I waited over a year and a half until doing the last mission. Nothing changed. I'd scan for activity for nearly the whole month with nothing happening, too.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Anyone else unable to go to the main menu from saving an Ironman?

There are some times during the game, like when your skyranger is in midflight, for example, when you can't save the game. And since you have to save before you exit when playing Ironman, that would explain it.

Jintor

They made us redownload the 1080p videos even though they were already in the initial install

No, I don't understand it either.

kurahador

They made us redownload the 1080p videos even though they were already in the initial install

No, I don't understand it either.

They missed one I think. The cutscene of you bringing home the alien tech from Overseer mission was all pixelated for me.

I have no money to buy anything, my entire squad was just wiped out, 3 countries are at 5 star panic, and it's only the 4th day of the second month. Fuck.

Game over man. GAME OVER!

Is it easier to prerender cutscenes like that rather than do it in realtime in-engine?

Ingame engine can't handle some off the effects. And some of the cutscenes are FMV so they can show different areas without loading.

How exactly does base HP work? I was looking at the stats of my soldiers and my 2 squaddie supports have 5+1 HP, the squaddie snipers has 4+1, and all my rooks have 6+1. That doesn't seem to make any sense.

How exactly does base HP work? I was looking at the stats of my soldiers and my 2 squaddie supports have 5+1 HP, the squaddie snipers has 4+1, and all my rooks have 6+1. That doesn't seem to make any sense.

Your starting soldiers' base HP is dependent on your difficulty, but new recruits always start with 6 base HP. And different classes gain HP at different rates when ranking up.

Starting base HP is:
Easy = 6
Normal = 5
Classic = 4
Impossible = 3

And new recruits get easy mode HP.

Top Bottom