• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Tizoc

Demo is releasing on US PSN this coming week BTW. Gonna check it out and hopefully it can give an idea of how the game would play.

Jintor

GAFCOM isn't the enlistment thing by the way, it's just for multiplayer xcom later. I'll post a preview of the signup sheet for being named in the LP in a bit.

DodgerSan

Can you trick steam into thinking you're in a different region and unlock your game on US release time? Some people here seem to suggest you can?
edit: Nevermind, found it.

Yes, it's called a proxy or VPN. Google if interested. Not being obstructive, it's just that I heard there's a chance (no matter how infinitesimal) of getting your steam account banned for doing it.

I don't know if its ever been done, but for the sake of a couple of days (as asinine as that is when the bloody thing is preloaded), it's not worth it for me.

What have I done?

captureckq6j.png
My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yes, it's called a proxy or VPN. Google if interested. Not being obstructive, it's just that I heard there's a chance (no matter how infinitesimal) of getting your steam account banned for doing it.

I don't know if its ever been done, but for the sake of a couple of days (as asinine as that is when the bloody thing is preloaded), it's not worth it for me.

Valve hasn't been known to bring down the account restriction hammer upon the accounts of those who use VPNs for reasons other than self-cross-regional-gifting (using a VPN to bypass your regional store is the biggest of no-no's), but the use of a VPN at all is technically against the SSA.

That said, I've been using VPNs to activate region-locked keys and bypass arbitrary belated release dates for well over a year now and haven't encountered any issues, and therefore will continue doing so; but I just think it's worth informing newcomers that there is an element of risk involved, even though the consequence has, in any case save for the aforementioned regional store bypassing, yet to manifest.

That said, I've been using VPNs to activate region-locked keys and bypass arbitrary belated release dates for well over a year now and haven't encountered any issues, and therefore will continue doing so; but I just think it's worth informing newcomers that there is an element of risk involved, even though the consequence has, in any case save for the aforementioned regional store bypassing, yet to manifest.

Are you going offline for the 3 days difference between release dates?

Cheech

I hate to repeat my question from a couple pages ago, but does anybody know if this supports Steam Cloud Saves? It's important, because I'm going away the week after next, and have a lot of down time to play this. But I don't want to bounce back and forth between my laptop (which admittedly can barely handle this game), and my actual gaming PC at home.

If it doesn't support Cloud Saves, I'll just skip this game for now and pick it up later in the season. Thanks!

P.S. Demo was great, BTW. To the guy above who was wondering if it was worth the D/L, I'm gonna say don't bother, and just buy it. It reminds me of Rainbow Six, with Civ-style pacing.

Jintor

Steam Cloud is not listed on the Steam page so I suspect it does not have it.

I meant the thread Jase, never see you in there :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I meant the thread Jase, never see you in there :(

Ah, yeah. Ever since it was moved to Community I've rarely posted in it. Out of sight, out of mind and all that. I ought to add a bookmark for it, right next to Gaming and OT.

Edit: And done. I couldn't help but laugh at the first line of the OP:
GAF IS ACTIVELY OPPRESSING THE AUSTRALIAN WAY OF LIFE: REMINDER, DO NOT USE THE C WORD. IT'S NOW A BANANABLE OFFENCE TO BE AUSTRALIAN

So true. :p

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Good move, that games awesome.

I loved every minute of it:

First and thus far only game I've 100%'d.

Awesome, know GAF loves the game but I'm abit apprehensive towards openworld games on pc, allergic toward their jank.

Don't plan on keeping any of your guys alive until you research/manufacture personal armor. Until then most of them are an easy 1-hit with any plasma weapon.

I realized, anyone who got hit on their first mission no longer exist...

Mikeside

Do we think they've had time to take impressions from the demo regarding the general dislike of the mouse controls and have a day 1 patch ready?

I wasn't too bothered about it, to be honest, but it would be nice to see them reacting so quickly to the main criticism

Mupod

Any more news on mods? iirc Firaxis said mod tools will be available but not at launch, is that right?

Jake gets asked this question in basically every interview, but I haven't seen any absolute confirmation of eventual mod tools.

That said look what people have done with the freakin' demo. Also, apparently
new game+ has a lot of options you can turn on (link) which are similar to what people might be thinking of adding with mods.
Not sure how legitimate that information is, of course.

Protein

Banned
I'm considering Ironman but..

*Squad survives harsh battle with life-threatening wounds, one enemy left*

*98% chance hit on Chrysalid, pointblank with shotgun*

*MISSES*

*Entire squad dies*

garath

I'm considering Ironman but..

*Squad survives harsh battle with life-threatening wounds, one enemy left*

*98% chance hit on Chrysalid, pointblank with shotgun*

*MISSES*

*Entire squad dies*

I want to play Ironman for the sole reason that I am a perfectionist. If I lose a high level squad member I'm going to want to reset and retry. Sometimes I get so bogged down getting a mission "perfect" in strategy games that I get bored of the game and move on. Ironman will prevent any such reloading. It is what it is! make the most of it.

Do we think they've had time to take impressions from the demo regarding the general dislike of the mouse controls and have a day 1 patch ready?

I wasn't too bothered about it, to be honest, but it would be nice to see them reacting so quickly to the main criticism

In one of the Videos they strongly suggest that this is the case. They mention that they've added more controls for view height, and tweaked default scrolling speed.

I'm not sure if it's a day 0 patch, or just some tweaks they made before release.

Mikeside

I want to play Ironman for the sole reason that I am a perfectionist. If I lose a high level squad member I'm going to want to reset and retry. Sometimes I get so bogged down getting a mission "perfect" in strategy games that I get bored of the game and move on. Ironman will prevent any such reloading. It is what it is! make the most of it.

This is exactly why I'll be playing Ironman

In one of the Videos they strongly suggest that this is the case. They mention that they've added more controls for view height, and tweaked default scrolling speed.

I'm not sure if it's a day 0 patch, or just some tweaks they made before release.

Awesome - great to see them responding :)

Mupod

Yes, this is EXACTLY what I'm thinking. I'm glad they have a specific mode for it because I tend to be a compulsive save abuser. I don't trust myself not to reload my game if my squad gets wiped out. But if I'm forced to stay with the one save by the ingame rules then I'm fine with it, funny how that works.

Still planning ironman normal followed by ironman classic. If the latter really is substantially different (in terms of alien tech progression) then it'll make a second playthrough even more fun. I don't plan on just beating this one and moving on, after all.

Darias

How are people planning their first game?

I can reliably finish X-COM without a loss on superhuman in 11 - 13 months; I am thinking Hard Ironman?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Yes, this is EXACTLY what I'm thinking. I'm glad they have a specific mode for it because I tend to be a compulsive save abuser. I

Same here, the thought of a "strategy-roguelike" is really intriguing to me.
Though I dread the day where I miss a 99% shot and lose my favorite decked out soldier...

How are people planning their first game?

I can reliably finish X-COM without a loss on superhuman in 11 - 13 months; I am thinking Hard Ironman?

Right now it's between regular classic and ironman classic. I feel like I want to experience the game on ironman first but on the otherhand I kinda want to see what the game has to offer.

Jintor

Uh... I clicked the wrong thing and sent you a group invite to something different Infran. Uh... you probably want to ignore that one. And not to report it to the FBI or anything.

masterkajo

This! Exactly this! It always takes me ages to finish a Fire Emblem game (sometimes get bored and pause for 2-3 months even) simply because I reload until everyone surivies... I don't mean to, it is just that the option is there so why not take it? Also, Valkyria Chronicles (one of my favorite games this gen).

Will play XCom on Classic Ironman for sure to prevent all of this :)

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Uh... I clicked the wrong thing and sent you a group invite to something different Infran. Uh... you probably want to ignore that one. And not to report it to the FBI or anything.

hehe, no worries, your dark, dirty secret is safe with me ;)

Top Bottom