• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

KPJZKC

I just realised that GMG will only give me my key on the 12th. There goes the idea of proxying to unlock it on steam. Thanks for ruining my day GMG :(

Borderlands2 unlocked at 12AM EST so those west of that timezone got it an hour (or few) early. No idea how it will work for Xcom though.....I almost did the digital version just because of that though lol. However the appeal of the goodies in the Special edition was just too much :D

Cheech

Does anybody know if this supports Steam Cloud Saves? I'm getting contradictory information from the Internets. Thanks!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Borderlands2 unlocked at 12AM EST so those west of that timezone got it an hour (or few) early. No idea how it will work for Xcom though.....I almost did the digital version just because of that though lol. However the appeal of the goodies in the Special edition was just too much :D

I'm thinking I might just get both. Hehe.

McNum

oh shit, i had no idea michael mccann did the music. i loved his work in deus ex: hr. fuck yeah that is good news.
That was actually why he got the task. "That music you did for Deus Ex: HR? We want something like that." So expect more of the same.

Michael McCann only did half of the music for XCOM. The other (better, more fitting, actually atmospheric) part is done by Roland Rizzo.

Watching the live stream I can't help but notice just how stupidly overpowered those Archangel Plasma snipers are. It seems like you can pretty much one shot almost anyone from across the entire map.

McNum

Watching the live stream I can't help but notice just how stupidly overpowered those Archangel Plasma snipers are. It seems like you can pretty much one shot almost anyone from across the entire map.
I think they said there are two things that are becoming more expensive in multiplayer pretty much from the start: Archangel Snipers and Cyberdisks. I'd think they're going to make the Plasma Sniper Rifle more expensive, maybe the Squadsight builds, too. Cyberdisks are just a platter of death as it is. Too cheap for what they can do.

Chryssalids seem a bit expensive, but on the other hand, if you can get a proper
zombie apocalypse
going against someone who fields a lot of humans, it'll be really messy, really fast.

One week to go until I can pick up my physical copy. Well, I've waited since March, I can wait one more week...

Mupod

Chryssalids seem like a big gamble to me. I haven't seen anybody use one effectively on a stream/video yet either. I mean you have to hope your opponent

a) Has humans
b) Has few flying units
c) Has no shotgun dudes with that automatic close range counterattack

And then you have to actually use it properly, unlike Greg who runs it out into the middle of the goddamn map on turn 1 and is surprised that it gets killed. Hiding them upstairs in buildings could be great though, even worked for his Berserker.

I still think the real heroes of MP will be Floaters. Alien grenades might make Mutons AMAZING but I'm not sure how much damage those do. 4? Think it's affected by their racial self buff?

Woo-Fu

Banned
I decided to reinstall the original this morning and start a playthrough in preparation for the new one.

All of the joys of XCOM are coming back to me.

Stepping foot onto the ramp of the skyranger only to be shot and killed by something you can't even see yet.

Deciding to drop smoke next time only to find out that the smoke grenades are on the guys in the back and they can't hit the ramp.

Shooting past one of your guys only for the shot to go a bit wide and hit him in the back of the head, killing the guy you were just trying to save.

Having just enough action points to fire, but not the point you need to turn towards the target.

Opening a spaceship door to take a plasma round to the face/side/back. Waiting outside for the alien so you can do it to him only to have your guy fail to react. Decide to shoot a rocket through the door your guy is holding open only for it to go wide and hit the edge of the doorway, killing everybody you have stacked up outside the door, lol.

Attempting to intercept your first Large alien spacecraft only to watch it 1-hit your interceptor from max range.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Sorry bro, already bought the pc version :/

We usually play together. He was saying that I should get the PS3 version.
#RIP Dizzy-4U

Gonna try to grab a PC version then, but most importers i know of dont bring many PC games.

Sullen

The launch trailer for this is showing that Game Informer gave it a 9.5 out of 10. Anyone else see/hear anything about that? I thought the embargo wasn't up yet.

Jintor

Well, given that 2K sets the embargo, I'm pretty sure they don't give a shit about putting out their high scores

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Game Informer was also the first publication to get exclusive info about the game post-announcement, IIRC. Maybe they have some kind of deal. Normally that would make me suspicious, but in this case, I'm pretty confident that this is gonna be a good game.

ShaneB

That was actually why he got the task. "That music you did for Deus Ex: HR? We want something like that." So expect more of the same.

Guess I'll add the X-com OST to something I listen to constantly much like I do with DE:HR.

Sotha Sil

So, PC-Console GAF syncretists, what says you? Is the PC interface truly unique, or does it mimic the console's UI?

Probably getting it on Steam, but small talk helps with the wait. Six days!

epmode

So, PC-Console GAF syncretists, what says you? Is the PC interface truly unique, or does it mimic the console's UI?

The PC UI allows you to do stuff that isn't possible with the console UI (better zoom range) but it still feels like it was bolted on to a controller-based system.

I'm sure it's possible to play quicker on a mouse/keyboard than with a controller but it certainly won't feel as comfortable without some tweaks.

One thing which bothers me about the PC UI is that you have to go into Shoot mode and then hit Tab to cycle between targets. You should be able to just click the ugly alien you want to fill with holes from the isometric view and then click the Fire command at the bottom to fire on it.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Hey guys, this has probably been answered before but does anyone know if the bonus hairstyle and armour pieces come in the form of a pre-order code or are they in the first-run boxes? I'd like to get the boxed PC version for an easily installed Steamworks copy but Grainger Games aren't aware of any pre-order bonuses. The staff at Game hadn't even heard of XCOM :/

Grimsen

New players shouldn't be excited about this game! They should be excited about playing UFO right now in order to bitch about this babby's toy.

Edit: the colors+guile pack comes with the first run of the game, preorder or not.

Jintor

Hey guys, this has probably been answered before but does anyone know if the bonus hairstyle and armour pieces come in the form of a pre-order code or are they in the first-run boxes? I'd like to get the boxed PC version for an easily installed Steamworks copy but Grainger Games aren't aware of any pre-order bonuses. The staff at Game hadn't even heard of XCOM :/

Code inside the boxes or provided with the download

epmode

Amazon says that the customization stuff is included in the retail version so you might want to try there to be certain.

Part of the problem that he wasn't already planning on buying the game or that he is now excited about?

He is now excited about it. Something about people buying the game proving that the devs only care about money.

Don't ask me how. I just saw a cheap reply and I took it. But yes, that's what people have said in the past.

Edit: the colors+guile pack comes with the first run of the game, preorder or not.

Wait wut?

Top Bottom